Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / October NRR
- - By swandive Date 2018-10-02 2:49 PM
Sorry, I don't have any fun alliteration.

Post!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-10-02 3:04 PM
So, I'm going on a little road trip next month. :blush:  Machine Head was about to embark on a tour before the lead guitarist and drummer decided to quit the band, so they're going ahead with the tour before they part company.  They were here back in February and I saw them in both Birmingham and Atlanta, so this time they won't be anywhere very close.  I'd already bought a ticket for the Nashville show, which is a 5-hour drive.  Today I bought a ticket for the Louisville show, which is 7.5 hours away.  I wouldn't normally drive that far for a show, but I can't afford to miss the chance to see them two more times.  I actually drive through Nashville going to Louisville, so I can go to Louisville one day, Nashville the next day, then back home and it's only 15 hours of total driving.  Which is a lot, but totally worth it.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-10-02 7:15 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Swannie, that sounds like a great trip for you. Glad it is looking good! :grin:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-10-02 11:23 PM
Go for the shows! Have fun.

And repeat: if there are any shows in LA or environs that you would like to see, we have a guest room and can figure out transportation. The only problem would be cat allergies. Our house is not recommended for anyone who can't be around cats. But if you can, you are welcome to crash here.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-10-03 4:12 AM
You are welcome to stay with me if they come to Tampa. I would be surprised if they don't as Tampa is kind of known for early metal bands (hardcore) back in the day.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-10-03 8:25 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-10-03 10:37 AM
Definitely worth it! :grin:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-10-03 10:59 AM
:grin:  Yay!  I was thinking we needed to all look at the line up and offer to host you.  :grin:  I looked and they are not coming near me, but they will be near others on here!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-10-03 5:53 PM
Thank you all. :hug:  It would be awesome if I could figure out how to just follow them around the country while I visit forumites. :laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-10-04 12:40 PM
Oooo. Sounds like fun! :grin:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-10-07 12:14 PM
What are you reading?  Any good suggestions?  I have no idea what kind of book I'm looking for. :laugh:  I recently finished a very long book about the 1944 Warsaw Uprising.  After that I read The President is Missing, which was engaging and relatively easy reading.  Not the type of book I usually read -- I seem to mostly read non-fiction -- but I enjoyed it.  I don't know what I want to read next, though, so at the moment I'm back to the Game of Thrones series, which I have been slowly re-reading over the past couple of years.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-10-10 1:46 PM
Three more weeks before I am allowed to drive. I'm feeling well enough that I'm getting restless. T-Bone is doing his best to help, and friends have come and collected me for outings. We've also had friends over. But as fun as those things are, I'm still missing a sense of agency, ya know?

Also, my new car is sitting in the garage waiting for me. T-Bone has been great about using it to drive us places so I can at least get a feel for it, but...(pout)...:laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-10-11 9:16 AM
Do you all remember me posting about training to become a personal trainer?  Well, I'm in my "internship" now and working a few hours a week at the on-campus gym.  It is SO fun.  I had my first client this week, and did an assessment and designed a beginning workout for her. She'll do it on her own, then check in with me next week about how she did.  I also have a friend who has asked me to train her, again as a learning experience.  AND MCF came home from work yesterday and said one of his colleagues is looking for a HES personal trainer for one of her clients, and when would I start taking clients!!  I almost want to say yes, but I'm scared. I need to find out more about what she needs.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-10-11 9:30 AM
That is awesome. I'm so glad you are getting great clients!
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:38 AM
Awesome!  I'm glad to hear that becoming a personal trainer is going so well!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-10-11 12:44 PM
Great news for you! You'll be a great trainer. :grin::cool:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-10-11 7:57 PM
That is great!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-10-12 6:46 PM
Congratulations!
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-10-02 11:26 PM
Ethical issue.

I run a Little Free Library at the end of my driveway.

Someone left a kids' book that is about overcoming obstacles. Four "heroic" characters.

Lance Armstrong, An Sung Suu Kui, Martin Luther King Jr., Eleanor Roosevelt.

While I have no problem with MLK Jr or ER, I do have some serious issues with Armstrong and the Lady: Armstrong because of cheating, the Lady because of not addressing the Rohingya genocide.

Should I remove the book? Destroy it? Leave it for someone else to take?
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-10-03 4:16 AM
I'm sure it was written before those issues. Lance is a flawed character for sure but he did raise a lot of money for cancer research.

I must say I'm surprised at Suu Kui's stance in some ways but not others. Most of the population view the Rohingya as a group that invaded into their country and have no right to be there - basically squatters trying to take over. Like most cultures viewed the Romana or the Travelers in Ireland. But as a leader she should have risen above that.

Its your library. Remove it if you feel it violates your stance on these issues.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-10-03 10:43 AM
Yeah, my highly educated coworkers in Myanmar who work in development have surprising views on Rohingya (similar to what you said). I purposefully didn't bring it up on my last trip because I need strong working relationships to do my job effectively, but then I regretted it when I went to the genocide museum in Phnom Penh the next week. :sad:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-10-04 1:42 PM
Perhaps if you are living in a country with very scarce resources to begin with and another group appears to try to take over some of those resources that may sway your view on them, especially if they do not try to integrate into your country and culture and religion. That is probably why your colleagues have this view. Probably similar to the views Israelis vs Palestinians have on each other....in many cases both groups are probably "right".
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-10-03 5:59 PM
I would probably remove it and put it in the trash, not the donation box.  Presumably the book was written at a time when both people in question were viewed in a more positive light, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with promoting those individuals as heroes anymore.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-10-07 1:07 PM
In somewhat of a defense to Lance....I can somewhat understand him feeling invincible and untouchable. He beat cancer that had metastasized to his brain. He was essentially on his deathbed. Once you go through something like that you could easily end up with a god complex.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-10-04 12:43 PM
Oh, that's a bit of a dilemma, given that you're effectively censoring what a child might read about. But yeah, the simplest approach is to put it in the trash. If you feel guilty about it, maybe get an individual bio of King and Roosevelt
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-10-07 12:34 PM
+1
As someone who worked in a public library, we would sometimes adjust the area where the book was IF it was an age appropriate issue.
In this case, the information is outdated. I'd pitch it.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-10-07 2:13 PM
I think the 'outdated' approach is a good way to look at it, just as one routinely weeds books in a library when the are old or the information is no longer current, one could consider the book here to be outdated because it does not seem to consider the later deeds/misdeeds of the subject of the biography. Replacing it with a more current volume(s) is one option, or just removing it.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-10-11 8:29 AM
What did you end up deciding to do?

While I would take away An Sung Suu Kui's heroic status for the reason you mentioned, I do think she is worth learning about. She has an interesting story and I doubt most Americans, let alone kids, know much about Myanmar. :happy:
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-10-15 10:57 AM
Bringing up a larger issue...

Can someone in public eye change their stripes & overcome past transgressions? 

Obviously, they can go from lauded hero to despicable rather easily, but at what point do we forgive a public figure for something they did long ago & no longer participate in such behavior?   Do they need to specifically atone for a questionable incident,  or is the recent behavior enough ?

As far as specific behaviors concerned....murder is probably out of the realm of public forgiveness (although sportsballers might have a pass here).  In some cases, animal abuse was enough to ruin a person, but not in all cases. Theft? Espionage? Kidnapping? Drug crimes?
Up Topic Communities / Women / October NRR