Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday, 30 Sep
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-30 6:45 AM
Last day of the month!  Fall is definitely in the air here.  We are waking up to nice cool, crisp mornings.

What are you plans for today?

BBS, how is the grandbaby doing?   Deb, tell us about your trip. 

Post away...
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-30 11:43 AM
Knock, knock...hello??? Anyone out there?
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-09-30 9:20 PM Edited 2018-09-30 9:33 PM
I am in the midst of a drive from LA to Alaska... 7 days worth. :wink:

Grandbaby is wonderful! Such a calm, quiet, sweet little baby girl! Love her to death.

I just got out of California. Northern CA near Shasta, is really pretty. The rest of the state just simply isn't for me. Driving in 5-6 lanes of traffic with people
doing 80 mph+, regardless of the real speed limit, is just crazy. Exit LEFT! Exit RIGHT! DO IT NOW!! :cry::laugh: I am just not a city gal.

For the next week, I'm just drivin', seein' what there is to see, and missing my cat.
OH!! I went to the Charles Schultz Museum. That was pretty cool. :cool:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-10-01 5:39 AM
Hey girl,  drive safe!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-10-01 9:03 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-30 12:34 PM
Last night when I reached down to pick up the cat's water bowl, something happened to my left knee.  When I got up this morning, it hurt to put weight on that knee. As the day has gone on, the pain seems to leave completely and then come back.

So, I don't know what is wrong or how long it is going to last. If I can't run, at least I'll have more time to read.
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2018-09-30 12:40 PM
Old age Dave?:shocker!:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-30 1:36 PM
I think that is true.

Google seems to think it is a flare-up of osteoarthritis.  I bent down on one leg and and caused it to complain.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-30 1:51 PM
I had a similar incident two years ago and that was the diagnosis I received from the orthopedic doctor.  It took 3 months for my knee to heal. I went to therapy and started wearing a copper sleeve.  Now I don't know if it's all in my head, but I do think that the copper sleeve helped.  I'm very careful with it now.  And the fact that I lost 16 pounds has helped.  Less weight for those knees to carry.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-09-30 2:33 PM
Really? I have to try that!!!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-30 2:55 PM
The sleeve sounds interesting. I don't think I've done anything that is going to take 3 months to heal. It's a condition that just exists and can sometimes cause pain if you tweak things the wrong way.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-30 7:26 PM
Dave, I didn't anything to mine either. I just walked up the stairs to my office like always.  As the day progressed my knee was swelling and I could barely walk by the afternoon.  The swelling did not go down immediately.  What really helped me was the physical therapy.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-10-01 4:19 AM
Fortunately, I don't have any swelling. Just a mysterious pain that comes and goes. I ordered a copper sleeve from Amazon though.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-09-30 2:35 PM
That's what I was going to say. It sounds like mine. Although I have a torn meniscus too. Stretching and Glucosamine are helping mine. But the copper sleeve is fascinating...
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-09-30 2:32 PM
Hi all!!!

Ran a trail race today. They call themselves "the Wimbledon of Trail Races" ummm NO! It was in a nearby town on conservation land. Not very interesting and not very well planned for being in it's 12th year. I'm guessing it's a popular local thing :wtf: I wasn't impressed. The trail is too narrow for the number of people running (over 400) and walkers lined up at the front ( a really :eye twitch: pet peeve of mine). I couldn't really run until after a mile, then people would still walk and take up the width of the trail so it was a stop go kind of running people would not move when you came up behind them. It was more grass than trail and I'm not crazy about running on grass it seems deceiving to me, and I'm not comfortable running on it. Three hours later I can't find the results anywhere. :meh:

The race was $30 a bit more than I usually pay for a 5k, unless I know it's a fun or good race, but I thought this was different and close by. There was no food at the end, not even a banana or granola bar, but you could go to a local restaurant and pay $16 for the buffet. :wtf: The t-shirt was even kind of cheap. I thought it was supposed to be a dri-fit/tech type, but it was a cotton t-shirt. So I felt like a just paid $30 to run on a local trail. I thought the buffet was a bit much for what there was, so I passed on that and we came home.

Yosemite was amazing! I thought I posted about it? Weather was perfect. We hiked/walked 50 miles in 5 days. Walked in Muir's foot steps. Hiked parts of the JMT. Saw the massive Sequoias. I ran through the trails there--so amazing. Chris said he could tell I was itching to run among the big trees. He was right. Watched climbers on El Cap at night. That was so amazing watching these lights twinkle all over this huge mass of rock and to think they were people. I applaud them. Hiked to Vernal Fall there was actually still water flowing. Most of the other falls were dry. Found a very cool swinging bridge hidden away...no one there. Practiced yoga on the shore of Tenaya Lake, so beautiful and peaceful. Early morning in the crisp air. Mono Lake (one of my life list places) and Devils Post pile (again life list) People say I have odd lifelist places. :blush: Hiked to the top of Sentinel Dome. Watched the sun set over Glacier Point. That's a quick over view anyway. the plane was kind of empty coming home so we named all the landmarks we could. Saw a fire over Colorado and the lights of Chicago. Good times and great memories...

Oh yes Fall!!! My favorite time of year!!!!

“October is the month for painted leaves. Their rich glow now flashes around the world. As fruits and leaves acquire a bright tint just before they fall, so the year near its setting. October is its sunset sky.”—Henry David Thoreau, Autumnal Tints
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-30 7:27 PM
Deb
That sounds like a wonderful, relaxing vacation!
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-09-30 9:31 PM
Your trip to Yosemite sounds amazing!:shocker!: :hug:
I have an odd life list/bucket list, whatever it's called, so I get it! I'd have loved it too. I really wanted to hike the PCT, but life/time got away from me.

Oh, and it sounds that that was an "interesting" local race or sure! :shocker!::laugh:

Fall is my favorite time of year too. Snow capped mountains, golden leaves and brilliant blue skies.
Nothing better!
I love the Thoreau quote. :hug: Thank you for posting it.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-10-02 6:43 AM
My daughter wants to do the PCT. I told her I will do the JMT part of it. That is still on my list. It was fun hiking parts of it.

I love having leaves crunch under my feet. That is such a wonderful feeling to me...oh and the smell of fall. :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-10-01 5:40 AM
Thank you for the update.  Your Yosemite gig sounds wonderful!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday, 30 Sep