Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Breaking up long runs?
- - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-09-27 9:48 AM
This weekend and pretty much every weekend is super tight. I take forever to run. I'm supposed to do 15m.

Can I run from my house to the baseball field, watch tjs game (75m), run for another hour and then to my daughter's game (1hr) and then run home? If I can get that to 15 m, which the extra hour would do, does that count? Do the job?

This is my first marathon training.

Can I run by time? 2 hrs pre baseball and 2 hrs after and between soccer?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-28 1:52 PM
Hey photocat… you probably won't see many responses here as this forum is dead. Anyway...

Optimally you should do long runs in a single chunk, but life happens. I think it's ok to split up the distance once in awhile, but best to do as a single run as much as possible. Another thing to consider is to base your long runs on time instead of distance. You are not going to get the same affect from multiple shorter runs as you would with one long run. Plus all that starting and stopping could lead to recovery issues.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-30 3:34 PM
I agree with XT on that it is best to do in one chunk, but you gotta do what you gotta do! When I was in the multiple kid/multiple activity time of my life, I often did what you planned. I sometimes would split the long run up by running a notable amount at night and then again the first thing next morning. Good luck!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-10-08 3:45 PM
I agree with my buds, XT and Blazer. Do what you can!

If this long run day schedule issue will continue, perhaps you could try to get at least one longer run in during the week. Maybe bump a scheduled 6 miler into a 10 miler or something similar.  The more miles the better!
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Breaking up long runs?