Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursday's Happenings - 9/27
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-27 6:50 AM
Time to start cranking things up for the weekend.  It is almost Friday, and then it will be the weekend.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-27 7:03 AM
I am still a bit tired from last weekend's trip, but I got out early for a slow 8 miles. My current long run threshold.  8 and above is a long run for me.  61° and a light rain.

I did my longer run today because I have a 5k on Saturday.  I promised a guy at church, who helps run a place called Harmony House that helps people in need, that I would run this one because it is a fund raiser for his organization.  I thought about making the 5k part of a Saturday long run, but I tried that before and it didn't work well.  I was supposed to run before and after the race, but once the race was over I bailed on the "after" part of the plan.

Cindy's mom is moving to assisted living place next door to our condos.  Cindy's sister is coming in from DC today to help. Monday is the move in day but there is a lot of prep work. Cindy's mom needs 24 hour help. They have been hiring help to come to their place, and Cindy and her father do a lot, but it isn't possible to have someone with her every minute. The other worry is if something happened to Cindy's dad, then she is without her primary carer, and he has already had a quadruple bypass so there are no guarantees how long he can do what he is doing.  It's a nice place. And she'll be as close to us as she is now. Cindy's dad will be there most the time and can eat there for free. So it isn't a huge change in the short term.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-27 7:57 AM
I am glad that the assisted living center is convenient.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-27 8:30 AM
You have a big weekend.  Good luck with the 5k and I hope the move goes well for Cindy's mom.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-27 7:57 AM
Fall has arrived!  Went for a nice brisk walk in 61 degrees!

Need to finish some homework for my class tonight so I better get to it.

Have a good Thursday.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-27 8:30 AM
Lovely weather!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-27 8:40 AM
Yesterday's run was 57 minutes in 57 degrees.  Didn't realize it until I uploaded my Garmin.  Pretty fun coincidence though.  I ran a new piece of town's trail system.  The ultimate goal is a 20 mile trail and they do approx. 1/2 mile per year as far as clearing the land and paving the path.  This part goes right through a cornfield which was pretty fun.  8 ft tall corn on either side of me - felt like I was running in a tunnel.  Had I not been running in broad daylight though I would've felt unsafe.  Corn will be down in another week and I'll run it again and see if I still like it.

We actually have weekend plans for a change.  We are going to an Oktoberfest celebration in Wisconsin.  New Glarus is a Swiss town and we've been many times, just not for Oktoberfest.  They are tapping this year's keg from the local brewery, part of the downtown is blocked off for drinking and dancing and there is an amazing Swiss bakery that we enjoy too.  We are also trying an Airbnb for the first time.

We thought about hauling our bikes up but the forecast is for Wisconsin to dip into the 30's this weekend.  We'll probably need to go for a run to warm up!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-27 8:47 AM
I had some Spotted Cow when I was in Green Bay to visit my daughter and run the half.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-27 9:07 AM
And you liked it.:grin:

Here's the one they'll be tapping https://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/OurBeers/beer/staghorn-octoberfest
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-27 11:01 AM
Min and temps.:cool:   Do not try when its 82 outside.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-27 11:00 AM
Full Full day,   At hospital w Lynda's mom till after midnight last night.  She has pneumonia.   Drive for clothing bank this morning.  Lugged way too many big bulky bags of clothing.    Now off to Baltimore BWI to pick up Ellen and kids.

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-27 11:18 AM
I saw Ellen and the kids on FB.  Enjoy!!!
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-09-27 3:00 PM
6.47 miles this morning for Dawn :hug:

Mary turns 15 on Saturday. Family over for dinner tonight. Teenager party Saturday night.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-27 3:18 PM
:hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursday's Happenings - 9/27