Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / This is Tuesday
- - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 7:29 AM
This is Tuesday and nothing we do can change it. We have hopes, opportunities and challenges ahead of us.  Runs, workouts, restouts?  Put em up.

QOTD:  What about Tuesday makes you glad?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 7:39 AM
Extreme mugginess on the run.  Still lacking that energy bounce in the stride.  Forgot to take my B12 yesterday.  Of course ate way too much at army buddies lunch.  Old Country Buffet Military Monday $6.29 for lunch.  Can't beat that.

I'm glad I'm retired.  Tuesday is "Duck In" day.  Looks like the ducks will be inside today due to rain. Florence leftovers.   I don't know why, but for some reason I just get a joy out of standing there offering donuts, candy, coffee or water to passer bys.  Why?   Because we need more donuts and less bullets in America.

Tom in DE

45 days
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-09-18 8:07 AM
Duck-in is one of the neater things the church has started.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:36 AM
If I lived closer I'd be a frequent flyer (waddler?) at Duck In.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:49 PM
Tom, I keep forgetting to take my B12. I don't know why I would, considering my energy level! I like that slogan-more donuts and less bullets! And again, you are a good man:hug:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 3:22 PM
My B12 I have to suck on it like a tiny lozenge.  I used to just swallow them and one day Lynda asked me why they smell like cherry.  I finally read the instructions.  And it made a difference.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-18 7:46 AM
Good morning Tom. 4 very humid and uninspired miles this morning.

Roofer is coming this morning to check out my leaks.

The AC guy is coming to check out our unit. The roofers really knocked stuff around and I was seeing condensation where it shouldn't be in the attic.  Seems like something came loose on the pipe bringing in the coolant.

And in a totally unrelated area, someone is going to come to check out our clothes dryer today. Something is wrong with the automatic shutoff. I don't want to accidentally burn the house down because the dryer runs so long it burst into flames.

I'll also try to get some work done.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-09-18 8:06 AM
We need to get somebody out to fix our gas cooktop. You can't turn the knob to light two of the burners. I'm not sure if a 20 year old cooktop is repairable or not.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:29 AM
mine wasn't.  :sad:
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 8:28 AM
I sure hope you're not contagious with house issues.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:50 PM
Sounds like you needed those miles even if they were "uninspired miles."
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-09-18 8:04 AM
Tuesdays are Taco. That always makes be glad.

Cool stuff like this makes me glad - https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180912111833.htm

Short run last night. Slowly ramping back up.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 8:27 AM
I picture TSA guys playing one of these as you go through the airport.  Imagine some TSA guys jamming and then pull you over.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:29 AM
you are my personal version of NPR and I learn something new everyday.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:51 PM
Anything that even remotely resembles Mexican food makes me glad!:happy:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-18 8:37 AM Edited 2018-09-18 8:49 AM
Why call someone and tell them you will be at their house at 9:00 AM and not show up?  It is 10:37 and I am still waiting for the roofer to show.

It is causing me to have to do actual work when I would rather be procrastinating watching the roofer inspect things.

They just called and said they will be here at 10:00 tomorrow. :roll:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:30 AM
I've asked that about the painter who had an appointment with me last December.....
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:28 PM
Did your door guy or counter top guy move to WV and start roofing?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 2:04 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-18 2:36 PM
At least the AC guy came and made sure everything was together and working right.  And now the dryer repairman is here.  Hopefully he can figure out which piece to replace.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:35 AM
Tuesdays is a longer morning service at my church.  I like that.    The library is then just a 2 block walk, I like that too.  And I also like Tuesdays because it means Wednesday is coming and Wednesdays are my no obligation days.  That, and hanging out with all of you makes me glad.:hug:

Well, and Jeez, I heard the Bears won last night.  That's a high point too.  I went to bed at halftime fearing a repeat of last week's 2nd half.   If it wasn't so dang hot I'd pull out my Bears sweatshirt that I've been too embarrassed to wear.:wink:

Dog is walked, groceries are purchased, I have another armload of books to read and a slab of baby back ribs to throw on the Weber.  All is well in NW Illinois.:happy:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:43 AM
I saw a guy on a sports channel say that there is only one NFL team that impossible to watch. They are bad and uninteresting.  That team is....The Buffalo Bills.  :cry:

So wear the Bears sweatshirt with pride.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 9:52 AM
:laugh:  I know,  You get it!
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:52 PM
Glad to hear that all is well in NW Illinois!!
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 11:40 AM
Good afternoon. No running or other workouts to talk about so far today unless you count pacing as you are on hold on the phone. I'm planning to get out for a walk later while Ray is at band practice, but we will see if that actually happens.

Today, I am glad that although it's not what we had hoped for, the decision has been made for Alex to leave her job in Boston and come back here. Ray is flying up on Thursday and driving back with her. This is where she needs to be right now. Just so sad for our girl. Prayers appreciated for her to get healthy and to realize that this doesn't mean she's a failure in life.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-09-18 11:56 AM
Tough decision indeed, Pam.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 12:16 PM
It means a lot that she is in agreement with you and Ray to return.  I prayed for her on my morning walk today - I wonder where life will lead her next.  :hug:
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:58 PM
Thank you so much, Dawn. I've been fighting to keep from blaming myself for the state she is in right now. I knew deep down that she wasn't ready for the move so soon after being in the hospital before, but she was so determined to make it work. Again, thank you for the prayers....that's exactly what she needs right now. And a therapist that can see her before March or April.:sad:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-18 2:05 PM
Exactly, I feel like your hands were tied because of limited access to a therapist.  Grrr.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 2:08 PM
Yes.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-18 1:33 PM
Said a prayer for you all while on my run.

Tell Ray to check the car for extra squirrels before heading back.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 2:06 PM
Thank you, Tom.

I will be sure to tell Ray!!! He has until tomorrow night to figure out a way to keep those pesky things out of our attic! I will NOT listen to those things up there while he's away! I guess it could be worse. Nick's girlfriend's house is in Waltham, MA and their entire town has a huge rat problem. Their mayor was actually out walking through the neighborhoods with some other town officials, trying to help come up with a solution. So far, Gisella's only rat sightings have been in her shed out back. She is very self-sufficient and even a bit tough usually, but she called Nick at work in a total state of hysteria (at least that's how HE tells it!) and demanded that he come to her house IMMEDIATELY to get rid of them!!:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-18 2:34 PM
With the health issues, Alex's situation is tougher and completely different, but both my girls left and came back home. My older daughter, with about a 1-year old kid was determined to get out on her own and took a job with a tiny newspaper up north from us in Michigan.  It seemed like a terrible situation and I think I cried a little on the way home from leaving her.  After a few months she moved back and stayed with us for a few years while she got a masters degree. (Then she took off again, which would have been fine except she took the kid with her.)

Our younger daughter took off to Green Bay with her boyfriend to work at a printers that did not pay or treat their employees very good.  I think she lasted a year before she came back home. Job and relationship didn't work out.

But so far, both their 2nd tries to go out on their own is working better. (Knock on wood.)
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-18 4:01 PM
Happy that both girls are doing well now! I remember how heartbroken you were when "the kid" left.:hug:

I'm very hopeful that once Alex gets home and finds a good doctor she will be able to think about her future (more realistically) and move forward. She doesn't give herself enough credit. She expects way too much of herself and beats herself up when things don't go as she had planned. I had to remind her that she got through college pretty much all on her own financially, worked her butt off to do the study abroad program, etc.....so I don't think she should count herself a failure at this point.

In addition to expecting too much of herself, she also expected the kids she would be teaching to be excited about learning the way she has always been. She totally wasn't prepared to teach a bunch of high school kids, most of whom had zero interest in learning and no respect for someone trying to teach them. She found out rather quickly that the people in charge at the school didn't really care either.:sad:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / This is Tuesday