Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday is Here!!! :D
- - By judyruns Date 2018-09-14 6:34 AM
Post. Hoping for the best in NC. :hug:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-09-14 6:35 AM
Thursday the fog/rain lifted so it was a good 45 minutes running with my friend. A woman stopped us in the park to warn us. In just 1 month she was followed and chased by some guy, then some other creepy guy tried to engage her into conversation. Hopefully she will tell the police. They are good about patrolling the park.
Sunday Buddy and I also have some guy who has been following us in his car. Who released all the weirdos???
Today I hope to join my friend on her run.
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-09-14 8:16 AM
That is worrisome.  Hope they were just misunderstandings but not sure about that whole chased thing doesn't seem that it could be.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-09-16 6:26 PM
These things are scary. I was physically grabbed at the gym and even at the grocery. Ew!
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-09-14 10:30 AM
You seem to encounter more weirdos than the average runner.  Stay safe out there!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-09-16 6:27 PM
Very small women are viewed as easy targets.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-09-14 8:20 AM
Groundhog day here.  Same run as yesterday, same walk after, and same 82 degrees at the start.  I hate running two days in a row since I am old and I tend to be somewhat injury prone.  It was really my only choice unless I would run with the double stroller (no thanks as boys try to kill each other now) or use the dreadmill (shudder).  I feel like I have acclimated to the heat to some extent but I still hate it.  Especially for running.  I wonder when/if I'll ever get one of those nice, cool days for a run. 

Hoping for best in NC too.  DH's aunt, uncle, cousins, and their kids live in the W city in NC. They all left.  I hope their houses are ok and it sucks as his aunt and uncle had their home destroyed during Hurricane Sandy (in another state) and it took several years to rebuild and be habitable.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-09-14 10:28 AM
The forecast for it getting cool anytime ever doesn't look promising. :cry:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-09-16 7:18 AM
Ugh you live in Florida now. Here are our seasons:

January - Hot (may be cooler at night)*
February - Hot (may be cooler at night)*
March - Hot (may be cooler at night)*
April - Hot
May - Really Hot
June - Like you are on the sun
July - Like you are wrapped in tin foil on the sun
August- Like you are covered in baby oil and wrapped in tin foil on the sun
September - Really Hot
October - Hot*
November - Hot (may be cooler at night)*
December- Hot (may be cooler at night)*

* During these months mother nature may decide it is winter for 3 to 7 days in a row at any time

Also you live slightly below a "line" which is about located around the skyway bridge. It is weird that 50 miles makes a difference from Tampa to where you are at but I found that even in winter when we get cooler temps you can still be 90.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-09-16 7:53 AM
I've found September to almost be worse than July but that is only 2 years of experience to date!  In all seriousness, I haven't found the summers much more intolerable than where I was in MD.  In many ways, those summers were worse.  Rain was infrequent where here it seems to cool us down even if it's only temporary cooling.  It also makes the pools not so hot.  I can't tell you the number of days public pools and summer pool meets were cancelled/closed because the water temp was too high.  DD1 lifeguarded a ton at the public pool and it was in the upper 90s often and they'd have to shut it down because they couldn't add enough water to cool it down.  I saw a few days each summer up there where the actual temp was in triple digits as well.  I haven't seen that here (heat index why yes many times but not actual temp.)  Where I grew up though, the summers were much nicer because it cooled down most nights - like a Florida winter!!!!  It does really feel like the sun is closer though which is rough.  I find some humor in the fact that I really am not a warm weather fan and yet I live here.  It has been great for my son though.  I really enjoy more hours of daylight in the winter because he does so much better with outside time.  We also used the pool year round which is the best thing for him at this point.  It can really but his mood and behavior in a much better place.  I will have to wait and retire somewhere cooler or just visit my family more often.  I've also found flights here are not too badly priced so I can visit my family pretty easily.  I could see the line being a difference.  That happened where I was in MD.  DC or Baltimore would get a lot more snow and ice and we'd get nothing.  I blame that more on being surrounded by bigger water on both sides more than being further south.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-09-14 10:26 AM
It feels like groundhog day for me as well.  It's still hot and humid every single day and running is miserable.  I feel kinda bad about posting because I just complain about the same thing over and over. :blush:  I ran just over 5 miles this morning.  It sucked.

I may go to an art exhibit/performance with my sisters tonight.  I have been feeling awful and I'm very tired of being around people so I don't feel much like going, except that if I stay home I will still feel awful and there will still be people here.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-09-14 10:28 AM
Hey, Judy!
I have friends in New Bern, NC, and along the Wilmington coast. Most have evacuated. One acquaintance publicly stated yesterday that she was staying in her house on the Wilmington coast, and hasn't posted since. I don't think she made a smart decision.

Here is the thing, though: while I know there are people who are staying because they feel they can't afford to leave, or feel they can't bring their pets, this lady is one of those who has the resources to leave. By staying, and then possibly yelling for rescue later, she is endangering EMS workers' lives. This pisses me off immensely. You want to risk your own life? Cool. You're a grown-ass adult; you get to make that decision. But you should not ever get to make choices that cause unnecessary risk to animals, children, or other adults.

On a different note, it is a beautiful, sunny, summery morning here in Colorado. Hurricane? What hurricane? : pbbt: I had a rather strenuous workout yesterday, so today is a SDO and I am making a dessert for a dinner party with friends tonight. Boston Cream Pie. It was an epic mess (but tasty!) the first time I tried it, so this is attempt #2, and THIS time it will be, okay, probably not perfect. But I hope it will be Awful Darn Okay. :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-09-14 10:29 AM
I don't imagine you get too many hurricanes in Colorado. :laugh:

Good luck with your pie!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-09-14 11:21 AM
Forest fires and blizzards, mostly. Hurricanes? Not so much.

I was just messaging a good friend in NC who said her house is doing fine, but a flying branch just pierced the roof of her husband's workshop. The worst is apparently over for them, though, so she's breathing a sigh of relief and waiting for the rain to stop so they can cover the shop roof. Meanwhile, she's moved stuff in the interior so it doesn't get wet.

She's a good enough friend that I teased her a little by saying the humidity here is about 35% today and I'm having trouble keeping my skin moist. : pbbt::laugh: :hug::laugh: I am a bad person, I know.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-09-14 11:24 AM
Oh, the Boston Cream Pie (why is it called 'pie'? It's a CAKE! :wtf: ) turned out nicely. It's chilling now in the fridge. :grin:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-09-16 6:30 PM
I have made Boston Cream Pies and they are wonderful! :grin:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday is Here!!! :D