Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Friday the Fourteenth Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 6:23 AM
Thinking of all those that are getting and will get clobbered over the next few days.  I’m grateful we won’t get anywhere near the initial estimates, but that means other people will.  My co-worker’s aunt lives on one of the barrier islands and did not evacuate.  She never does.  They lost contact last night.  I hope she’s OK.

Feel free to post what you did and anything else you may wish. Something fun, something food related perhaps, or even a deep thought or two. But don't strain yourself too much. That thinking stuff is hard work.
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-09-14 9:54 AM
7.1 miles with 4.3ish at tempo pace. Wanted 5 at tempo but I felt awful and was't hitting anything close to my pace in the start of the fifth mile so I pulled the plug.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 9:58 AM
nice distance to start your day though :happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:00 PM
You still got most of it in, but I'm sorry you felt awful. Frustrating, I know.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-09-14 12:11 PM
Like you, I am glad the forecast changed but I can't be but so happy thinking about other people.
6 miles this morning before it got rainy and the wind got more so. We have some impressive gusts now.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 12:46 PM
nice you were able to get your miles in before the weather changed.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-14 12:36 PM
I hope everyone is safe. So much water in that part of our country. Drives down I95 to Florida it looks so tranquil and peaceful. Stay safe all.

Workout today. Not much so far. Usual routine at the planet of fitness at lunchtime. I canceled that out by stopping at BK for a whopper and fries.  :grin:

This evening, pondering some sort of trail run. I thought last night maybe a run around the lake (11-13 miles) but not sure I will do that now. Maybe the just 7 miles on the more difficult south side of the lake. It's still grey and gloomy here but no storm issues.

Deep thought. The concept of time is weird.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-14 4:18 PM
I think most of us know good peeps in the Carolinas getting clobbered. My continued prayers, good thoughts and very best wishes are with y'all. :hug::hug::hug: I wish that I could do more beyond contributing in a couple ways but its mostly up to local, state and federal agencies as well as mother nature at this point.

In the meanwhile, I ran 5.5 miles along the river today under just cloudy skies with the river still really high but not close to flooding. My thoughts during the run were with my friends to the south but also with peeps I don't know. :hug:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-09-14 6:40 PM
6.4 miles

33¢ (6 coins)

Inov8 220

-  --  -  --  -

Achieved a couple of goals & took two more course records on Strava today.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 6:37 AM
I ran 4 miles then intermixed 50 burpees into the last 1/2 mile. I ran with my husband but I wouldn't say we ran together. Ugh, he brought up some topic and then we argued. Yay. :meh:

Anyway, good day! We are taking the kids to see The Score tonight in Dallas. Need to get my earplugs ready! :laugh: I didn't know who this band was until my kid started listening to them so don't ask me what they sing.
I'm sure we will pick something up for dinner! I'm hungry already.

What else? Oh yeah, hopeful for no rain because I really want the kids to start their soccer season tomorrow! We also got to start our run club yesterday after school. We have 148 kids!! It was fun but so chaotic. Got a couple of I don't like run club. I want to go home. Sorry kid, tell your parents! :laugh:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-14 7:17 AM
I know/have one song by The Score and by coincidence had it in my playlist for class this morning - Oh My Love
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 8:46 AM
Yep! I like that song! :grin:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 9:42 AM
4 mile buddies! not burpee buddies : pbbt:

what a great turn out for your run club :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:03 PM
That is a huge turnout! :grin: how many adult volunteers do you have to lead that madness?

Sometime the D in DH isn't dear :mutmad:

You rock with your burpees. They hurt my back unless I do them slow, more like yoga.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-14 2:16 PM
well ugh. so much for a relaxing run. :meh:

haha, that is hilarious about the "i don't like run club" kids!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 6:38 AM
Today is my birthday, so today was all about the 46 and just being grateful that I’m in a better place than last year.  Last year I had a torn meniscus, but was still in denial.  Sitting and crossing my ankles could cause 2 hours of pain. :roll:   DH hurt his shoulder badly at work and was denied Worker’s Comp. :mutmad:  And to top it off, I managed to get norovirus on my freaking birthday.  I had to call in work sick for myself for the first time in like 10 years. It was so bad, and I was so miserable, that every once in a while I’d just bust out laughing like a psychotic person.

So today, I was all about the 46.  It was not the super strong feeling, kick a** workout that I dreamt of, but I did my best and was grateful for the opportunity.  I did a hard 46 min TM.  Not quite 7 miles (6.87) but it was all I could do to keep going for 46:00.  I was cursing not being 40 anymore  Then I did 3 rounds of pull-ups (16+15+15=>46), 46 push-ups, 46 some ab thing, 46 air squats or lunges.  With lots of stretching in between rounds for rest.  And then I did some of my favorite yoga arm balances (crow, side crow with one leg elevated/extended, elephant trunk thing, forearm stand) for 46 seconds.  Not exactly 46 sec since I can’t see my watch, but I’d count for 10-15 slow breaths and then come down and look at my watch.  It was usually closer to 60 sec.  But I’ll pretend it was 46. :wink:  I continually flip flop between feeling old as dirt and creaky like I’m 86 to “I’m doing pretty dang well for 46!”

And if you noticed I was at the gym – yeah it opened.  I finally got in touch with someone at the regional office… and then it opened without warning ~1-2 hours later.  Coincidence? Maybe… But I was just glad it opened.  I think our max wind will be 30 mph gusts and we’ll get maybe 2-5” of rain.  The weekend will suck, but it won’t be dangerous.  We got 6-7” a few months ago and nobody cared.

My co-worker brought me a big slab of Hershey's triple chocolate cake. It will be my second breakfast shortly. They know me well:laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-14 7:24 AM
Happy Birthday PC!  Very nice working all the 46s into your workout!  If 46 is old as dirt then what the hell am I?  :shocker!:

We have a nephew & his DW & DS in Midlothian and a niece (his sister), her DH, DD, DS1 & DS2 and our S-I-L (nephew & niece's mother) in Roanoke.  I assume both families are sufficiently far inland to be ok.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:04 PM
I'm about 1:45 SE of Roanoke. DS1 is an hour north. They will get a lot of rain it looks like, but not until Monday or so.  The storm changed from going/stalling right over us, to making this loop de loop right around us.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 7:56 AM
Happy birthday - 46 buddy! :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:05 PM
:cool: thanks!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-09-14 7:57 AM
Happy Birthday! Great workout and so glad you are in a better place :happy:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:06 PM
Thanks! :hug: last year's bday was so bad I gave myself a do-over on March 14!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-09-14 1:04 PM
:happy:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 8:47 AM
Happy Birthday! I want to be you at 46! You rock! :hug::hug::hug::cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:06 PM
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-09-14 12:12 PM
Happy Birthday! Sounds like this year will be much better. :happy:
The cake sounds wonderful!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-14 12:41 PM
Happy Birthday and you are doing great one year out from your injury!! I had so much great running after my first repair back in 2011, really some of my best years of running in terms of ultra running. So, no 46 miler to celebrate or are you holding back for the big five-oh?!

Glad your gym is open. I love PlanetFitness, well mostly the price!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-14 2:15 PM
Happy birthday!  :grin:

there's a big difference between a 46 year old who can do what you can do and frankly most of the rest of the population!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-14 7:29 AM
We're projected to get *some* rain from Florence by Tuesday or Wednesday.  Likely just normal rainfall.  It's cloudy here with a misty drizzle now & then but supposed to be dry tomorrow & Sunday!

I subbed the 6am spin class this morning and did the usual core, hip & shoulder exercises afterwards.  One of the school teachers who takes off from 6am class during the summer came back today & told me she became a grandmother over the summer :hug:  Told her I'd be joining the grandparent ranks in about 3-1/2 months.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 8:48 AM
:grin: Good times ahead!!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 9:42 AM
:grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:07 PM
Ooh! Early congrats to you!
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 8:21 AM
ran 4 this morning without dragging benji along - saw 9 walkers and 1 dog, nobody else out running with me. :wtf:

turns out not having a dog along helps me speed along a little faster, my last mile was somehow at an 8:12 pace :shocker!:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 8:47 AM
Go speedy go!! :grin::grin:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:07 PM
It's rare I see anybody out running BUT me. :laugh:

Ms speedy with your fast mile :grin:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 12:49 PM
I'm just going to convince myself that it was downhill with a wind at my back :laugh:

our neighborhood is so flat, it's almost comical I had an elevation gain of 62.4ft and a loss of 66.9 ft :laugh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-14 8:25 AM
9km with Molly and friends....it has been a long time since we ran with others so it was a nice change, although dark and cold.  Fresh snow on the top of the mountains the last two days.

Something fun, something food related perhaps I mailed a bunch of my honey to some friends and family from my first ever harvest.  It's getting rave reviews although who is going to say it sucks?  What sucks is I didn't keep as much as I should have for myself.....although the bees were left with tons of it.

or even a deep thought or two. But don't strain yourself too much. That thinking stuff is hard work.   I'll defer to this dude I've been reading a lot of lately...“Above all, we cannot afford not to live in the present. He is blessed over all mortals who loses no moment of the passing life in remembering the past.”
― Henry David Thoreau:hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 8:48 AM
:hug: honey sounds good! When should I expect my package to arrive? : pbbt:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-14 9:42 AM
You must have moved because it came back....but I love it when you call me honey!  :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 9:57 AM
I've been trying to convince mrbarney that we need some hives, but I don't think he's too keen on the idea :roll:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-14 10:14 AM
Honey, it's awesome.....I've only had mine since late May 2017.  You guys don't have the stress of trying to help them survive a Canadian winter or keeping them safe from bears too.  (Although you likely have raccoons or something that might be a problem??) I just love their little lives and how they work together pollinating, gathering pollen etc etc.  I'm not too fussed whether I get honey or not, but this year it worked out well because a guy I know had all the equipment to extract honey.  Also the one thing I learned real quick is that they are very docile.  They have their moments and I've been stung a few times but it's not a big deal.

If you get Mr B on board I'd be happy to help you with my limited knowledge....although I know a lot of the beginner stuff :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 10:32 AM
:hug: thanks, Mooks!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-14 2:10 PM
our neighbors had bee hives for a couple years. it was amazing watching and we really enjoyed the extra honey. Then she found out she was severely allergic to bees and they had to get rid of them. :shocker!:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-14 4:03 PM
Yeah the allergy thing can be life or death....I'm okay.  I love the name PuddleThumper.  :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:09 PM
Love the quote. So true. I have to be mindful of this, but more about not worrying about the future. Enjoy what's here now
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-14 1:28 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-14 12:42 PM
A song for you today!!  :happy:

Wild Mountain Honey
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-14 1:33 PM
Awesome thanks....reminds me of shooting pool in my friend's basement back in high school (almost all his songs do)  :hug:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-14 10:43 AM
No workout this morning - PF needed a rest day.

Food - last night was a rushed dinner of frozen gnocchi before back to school night

Deep thought: I kind of hate Back to School Night
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:12 PM
After awhile, back to school night seems pointless. I don't think the teachers really want to talk to the parents either. DS2 has begged me to skip it. My last one I attended, his Spanish teacher was high on something. :meh: he was removed a few weeks later, though he did come back second semester...
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-14 1:55 PM
Elementary school (done for now but likely going back for another lap with future stepkids):
Useful (10 minutes): Meet the teacher, see a cute note from your kid, write a cute note back to your kid.
Useless: Well-intentioned but annoying parent asks a bunch of detailed questions about their kid which are not relevant to anyone else
Also useless: All the parents gather in the gym. A bunch of PTO parents get up there and present and go on and on because they want to feel important. In reality, detailed information about the bake sale is not relevant or interesting to me at all. But we’re held hostage because the principal goes last and withholds some key information until then.

Middle school: Meet the teachers, crash into a bunch of confused parents in the hallway

High school: In between sessions with each teacher, navigating the hallways feels like being on an episode of The Amazing Race. See a few old friends but say hello only in passing. See other parents who I don’t really want to spend any time with. Keep my head down and pretend not to see them.

All levels: Leave hangry and having neglected my kids for several hours. On the way to my car, flip a skyward middle finger to my late wife.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-14 12:49 PM
how did you rush through eating if it was frozen? :roll: : pbbt:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-14 1:43 PM
Well, I did have time to thaw it...but then I barely had time to eat it.: pbbt:
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-09-14 12:00 PM
2x10:00 plus a lot of walking. Had breathing trouble. :meh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-14 12:12 PM
Breathing trouble sucks :mutmad:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-14 2:08 PM
:meh:
- By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-14 2:08 PM
Yay for Friday! I have the weekend but then monday i'm going to SF with DH, MIL and BIL. This'll be a short trip to commemorate MIL's father' (ie DH's grandfather) art that he did for an organization in CA. they are releasing a book about this and we are going to the reception for it. I'm excited as this has been a long, long time in coming. I'm not really looking forward to traveling with MIL and BIL but at least it'll be short. :blush:: pbbt:

Ran 6 miles this morning. I should've checked the weather as about a mile in, it started misting lightly. Very nice. :happy: then it started drizziling with a lot of wind. :wtf: Then it started pouring. :meh: I got drenched! :roll: But at least it's not that cold (yet).

The neighbors are out of town so we have a bonanza of their tomatoes. We are having a tomato salad for dinner with something. We've had a tomato salad with dinner all week. :laugh: they really are delicious tomatoes!

I've been watching hurricane coverage. :sad:
- By JimGo1 Date 2018-09-14 7:17 PM
Happy Friday,

Hope everyone who decided to stay put for the storm make it through.   Warm and humid here today - got in a nice 4 miler.

Hmm...deep thought.  Well seeing your child go through brain cancer enlightens you that 99.9 percent of the things we are concerned about are meaningless.  Give your kids a hug and don't sweat the grades, sports, and all that crap.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Friday the Fourteenth Dailies