Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Relay Thursday Daily
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-13 12:22 PM
Since some folks on here are heading to NH today to represent two teams in the Reach The Beach relay tomorrow & Saturday, today's question is have you ever participated on a running relay team? If so, how was the experience?  If not, do you want to?

Also, today's workout and any other stuff you might like to mention.

Everyone in the path of Florence, please stay safe!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-13 1:06 PM
I've done a few relays. RTB 4 times, once with the bubblewrappers and 3 times with team WIMP. All were great experiences but exhausting by Saturday night. Like the walking dead. The one year they took the route up the Kancamagus pass, I did that section to the top. Pretty cool, but I bet it was more fun to run down. We also had an emergency one year with one of our runners (bad asthma attack) and that was scary. I definitely had some great road runs there. Always cool the feeling you'd get starting the night leg or the last leg. It was weird, I could always kick it into gear despite feeling exhausted beforehand.

I also did the relay one year at the Philadelphia marathon (the infamous "murse" run by Doughboy). That was not so fun, mostly because it's not fun running fast around fading marathon runners (I ran mile 13-20). Oh, and the Laurel Highlands Relay. I did section 4 there one year on a relay team. Good times but a lot of waiting around or so it seemed.

Still cloudy and humid here. I had a decent 7 miler out on the lakeside trails last night. Despite numerous patches of mud and muck, pulled off 7 under 70 again. Some really dark clouds out there last night, and I expected it to pour but there was just a mist in a few places, and shockingly a bit of sunshine at the finish. Today, took the Lady out for a short 3 mile doggie jog on the local trail at lunch. Hoping for a dry evening so I can mow the yard. It's all green and lush and thick and out of control.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:27 PM
It's been muggy for sure. Wtg on 7<70!

I've never been so tired/sore starting a run as my last RTB leg. It was 11 miles or so and both legs were cramped from the get go. Somehow, I pulled off an amazing run. I've drawn on that experience more times than I can count to get me through crappy runs!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-13 9:22 PM
Very cool about peeps doing relays. :cool: I've never done one since high school but my kid and his girlfriend each has been in some. My kid's team won Ragnar Cape Cod a couple years ago with 6 peeps, even beating the 12 peep teams. I love the concept but I'm probably too old to dip toes in that now.

Anyhow, today was 5.5 miles along the river under cloudy skies. :happy: My best wishers are with our friends in the Carolinas as well! :hug:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-13 12:32 PM
I did Reach The Beach 5 times from 2005 - 2009 with others from my running club and a mix of folks from our running club and the other local running club.  Each one was an awesome time!  I did a bunch of track relays in HS (sprint & distance medley, 4 X 880), one marathon relay and a 3 X 3.65 mi relay in a race that I now direct...but dropped the relay due to a lack of interested competitors :roll:  While not just running, I've done the bike leg of 11, 12 and 56 miles on three triathlon relays.

My workout today will be teaching spin class this evening.  This is normally the end of my "work week" but I volunteered to sub for instructors tomorrow morning at 6am :cry:  and Saturday morning at 8am :meh: 

Looks like we in NJ will be spared all but some rain from Florence early next week.  I hope everyone in the areas impacted will be safe!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-13 1:01 PM
Enjoy class tonight!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:50 PM
We just missed each other at RTB!

Hope your classes are ok. You usually sound more enthused?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-13 6:40 PM
I also recall I missed the FE at Boston one year when you were there too :sad:

I'm used to sleeping in on Friday morning.  I'll get over it.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-13 12:39 PM
Yes to the relay.  You don't believe me? Relay, I'm being serious BA DUM :laugh:

15km with my girl Molly.....tomorrow we get our running buddies back!  Hard to stay motivated on these darker cooler mornings with just my own brain telling me what to do.:hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-13 1:01 PM
:hug: It'll be nice to have them back!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:51 PM
:hug:

(I find motivation during the dark, cooler mornings :blush:)
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-13 5:01 PM
Relay?:laugh::hug:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-13 12:44 PM
have you ever participated on a running relay team? If so, how was the experience?  If not, do you want to?

I did a leg in the Dallas Marathon a few years back, I think 4 or 5 miles. The weather was cold and rainy and it sucked.

ran 3.25 with benji this morning, it wasn't too warm, but it was very still and very humid. not pleasant at all. we saw 5 walkers, 4 runners and 4 dogs.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-13 1:00 PM
Yeah, I'm over this humidity!!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-13 1:38 PM
one of my worst marathons was dallas when it was the hot, humid and windy variety. it sucked then too! :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:52 PM
Cold and rainy isn't fun. I like cold. But 33* is no fun and dangerous. My fingers are permanently jacked from such a run.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-13 1:00 PM
I've only done a leg in the Dallas marathon... I don't consider that a relay though. At least not one like you're referring to. I'd LOVE to. It's on my list but I don't know when/where/who I'll even convince to do one with me.

6.2 miles with my fast buddy. It was a good, yet very humid run!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-13 1:37 PM
i've done a leg at the dallas marathon too. it was so strange pacing/running on a relay team versus being surrounded by marathon runners.

well if you are looking for a team/opportunity, i captain a team every year for northwest passage which is in mid-july. it's always a great group and there is always some turnover so easy to add someone.  :happy:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-14 5:50 AM
I agree on the relay vs marathon! :laugh:

This is great to know! I will definitely take you up on that sometime! FUN! :grin::grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:53 PM
Good and humid aren't usually seen together. Big thumbs up!
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-09-13 1:01 PM
4.4 dark miles this morning
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-13 1:02 PM
I just messaged you but I can just reply. Did your Dad evacuate?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:54 PM
Embrace the darkness! :happy:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-09-13 1:19 PM
I did a leg of the Denver marathon relay in 2007 when a bunch of forumites from women’s headed there for a big meet-up.  I’ve also done Ragnar Northwest Passage twice, in 2009 and 2012, with WARunner, Arimathea, freps, gophergirl and swandive.

20 mine of running this morning and then lots of walking - I’m in London right now. Heading north tonight for my conference.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:55 PM
I remember those reports. :happy:

London?! Jealous! Know it different for you and work, but so exotic to the country bumpkin
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-13 1:34 PM
I love overnight relays! I did Reach the Beach twice long ago. :hug: I have done the road ragnar in my area (northwest Passage) 9 times and 7 as captain of the team. One of those times was on a ultra team as well. Last year i did the road relay in hawaii. I've done one of their trail relays too. next year, we are thinking of doing both the road (july) and trail (august) version. I think of it as a mini vacation with a bit of running thrown in.

Track this morning - 4.5 milles total. I have a 7k (automatic PR! :grin:) sunday so just wanted a workout to get legs moving but nothing too taxing. so 2 x 200, 2 x 400 and 1 x 800. I kept the 400s and 800 at more of a 7k pace (i hope :blush:). Hip was bugging me a lot today which i attribute to teh day off yesterday. :roll::meh: then i was able to get in a 30 minute tabata strength workout in.

i'm looking forward to all the RTB photos. and hope everyone stays safe for the hurricane and after effects. The friends in Charleston have elected not to evacuate as it looks like the effects are headed a bit more north.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 2:56 PM
Captaining is a lot of stress though, Im sure.

Nice workout. And good luck in the 7K
- By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-13 1:41 PM
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. <nostalgia>  I was on Geetah’s Ultra Cheetahs at RTB in ’04.  I was a last minute addition, and I’m so glad I went, hurricane Ivan and all.  It was awesome.  I still have my uniform that Geetah gave us.  I still wear the shorts on a weekly basis.  The shirt notasmuch, as I don’t wear shirts most of the time. : pbbt:

Planet Fitness was not lying.  They closed yesterday at 6pm and still no word as to when they’ll reopen.  Total WTF.  Since Tuesday, they’ve been inching the storm further and further away.  Schools aren’t even closed today.  I think our max wind will be ~25 mph and that’s not until SATURDAY! And we will get less rain than we did from several storms over the spring/summer.  I am very pissed about this and wanted to vent.  Front desk said to call corporate.  Called the # and got hung up on. Called again as a potential new member and got through immediately to be connected to the local front desk who said to go to corporate.  But, you can’t call.  You have to use the website contact form.  Fill that out and get an email telling me to come visit the club to check out the hydrobed. :mutmad: oh my… such things PISS ME OFF and send me over the deep end…  I wouldn’t be near as pissed had someone just answered my call and listened to me vent in the first place.

Anyhow, drove to the gym just in case but wound up running about 8 miles in the “dangerous conditions” of 8mph wind and cloudy skies.  Biggest threat was that I came *this close* to running into a HUGE spider sitting in his web.  Then I talked to the bunch of people standing outside the club going WTF? And went home and did my Upper Body fix video in the shed (“mancave”).   I’ll probably be running again tomorrow which will make 3 days in a row.  Not happy about that, but doing nothing will make me unhappier.

Then I got home for lunch and was *so excited* about my Body Beast tank top that came in the mail.  Rip open the package… and they gave me…  a tank with super cheesy saying on it. “goal getter & I’m a success story.” :cry: That’s going straight to goodwill.  I was so looking forward to that top too.  I know, first world problems…  but still.  Grumble, grumble, stomp, stomp…  Edit:  Just got off the phone with DH.  He fixed it for me.  They were out of larges, but got me a medium.  It should work since there aren’t any shoulders.  Go DH! :hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Relay Thursday Daily