Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday Weather or Not
- - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:02 AM
Good Wednesday Masters.   Put em up, down sideways...anyway you got em.

QOTD:   Do you have a favorite weather person that you follow?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:14 AM
Was up much earlier than usual and went in to town to run.   Not a real good run.  Rate it a 5.  Ran in a fog.  It continues to be stuck in this super saturated air.  Last sighting of sun was last Thursday. 

QOTD...We tend to follow one pair of Philly TV weather people, both on same channel.  They do a really good job of explaining systems and often share some neat meteorological phenomena or terms.  They are both runners and often give runner forecast for things like Philly Marathon, but sometimes they will just say "if you are planning a training run, Sunday is the better day."

Tom in DE

51 days
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-09-12 8:05 AM
are the NC folks in a safe location? They are in western NC?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-12 8:30 AM
Their biggest concern is heavy rain and landslides.  They lost some property in June and the ground is currently saturated.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-12 8:40 AM
:sad:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-12 9:27 AM
You going to tell us what you are counting down to?
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:26 AM
The weather is insane.  We are traveling to Sevierville TN to meet friends and what is the forecast?  Rain the entire time.  We have had rain all month long here.

And then my hairdresser calls and wants to cancel my appointment for today.  Told her no, I am leaving on Friday.  So she asks if I can come in at 3:30 today instead of 10:00 am.  Now I will be in rush hour traffic when I come home and probably rain.  I schedule my appointments to avoid the rush hour traffic.  No need to be out there if I don't have to.  She is always doing this to me and I plan ahead.   Out of my last 4 appointments, she has done this to at least 3 times.  I really need to find someone local. But the problem is everyone here charges an arm and a leg!

QOTD - Dylan Dryer
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:41 AM
If I tell you I pay $20 (tip included) for a hair cut and style will you shoot me?
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:56 AM
Dawn, that is a bargain!  And your hair looks great!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-09-14 8:20 PM
I have a solution!

Go GRAY! Then you have no worries. :grin:

I am *SO* happy I made that decision last December.
Life is easier and cheaper. :wink:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:41 AM
I have run 5k's with a couple of the local weather personalities so I tend to favor those guys.   There is another I like because he is a new dad and often is on air bleary-eyed with messy hair.  I remember those days well.

Girlfriend get together this evening.  I'm going to make an appetizer and a dessert this afternoon and then take whichever one looks the best:laugh:

Waiting 15 more minutes from morning traffic to ease up and then I'm out of here for the Naff 5k.

Thanks for the daily Tom.  If I could send you this weather I would.  After 8 solid days of rain we are in a good patch.  Currently 58, sunny, slight easterly breeze.  I'm fully loaded with sunblock!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-12 8:38 AM
I bet those gf get togethers are pretty good.  Lynda just took off with a couple of hers.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-12 8:43 AM
The crazy thing is that the girls that moved the farthest away; Texas, North Carolina, North Dakota, and Oklahoma have retired and all moved back to the little town (population 2067) where we grew up.  It's great to be together again.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-09-12 8:04 AM
Holy Humidity Batman! 14.03 miles this morning. 4 miles easy. 8@GMP of 7:38. Splits: 7:46, 7:39, 7:34, 7:30, 7:42, 7:38, 7:46, 7:30. Avg pace: 7:38. 2 miles cool down.

I don't really watch TV. But it would probably be the weather girl with the nice fluffy clouds.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-12 8:36 AM
Let's see, long run Saturday, Half on Monday, 14 today 7:30 avg.  That is some serous miles!  May the fluffy cloud weather girl send the fluffs your way for your next run.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-12 8:44 AM
Great running Batman.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-12 9:27 AM
Hit the gym this morning for an easy, non-aerobic workout. 

Just heard that we lost our biggest (by far) client. I was originally hired in December 1984 to help get that client on-board. They are about two thirds of our business at the WV office so I am sure there will be many people gone or doing something different by July next year.  (The current contract runs through the end of June.) We had lost this client for a couple years back in the middle 1990's but then won them back.  Maybe I'll be retiring earlier than planned.

QotD: I like the morning crew on the Weather Channel: Stephanie Abrams, Jim Cantore, and Jen Carfagno.  But they have been getting a little too preachy with this recent hurricane so I shut them off.  Too much on what you "should do" to prepare and not enough on the weather.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-12 10:22 AM
Sorry about the work stuff. Would you be okay with an earlier retirement? It's looking like Ray's company is about to be sold and it's not looking too good for the current employees.:sad:
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-12 10:42 AM
Actually, I'd like to work another 5 years, so if something happens with this job I'll try to find something else to do even if it pays less.  My skills are outdated, but there is an odd demand for them since many people with the same skills are retiring.  I may be able to hook up with a company who needs someone to keep the old software going for a few more years. But with my age, no one may want to bother.  So I really don't know.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-12 10:20 AM
Good afternoon.

After 2 hours of trying to make myself get out the door this morning, I finally made it out there for a 1.5 mile walk. Better than nothing I suppose.

I feel like I am always whining, bitching and complaining when I show up here, and there are many days that I lurk, but don't post because I feel like I have nothing to contribute here  other than my usual whining. Anyway, today I'm just going to go ahead and throw it out there. All during my treatments I felt like I was handling my emotions/depression fairly well. But now that I'm done with my treatments (other than reconstruction which I don't think is going to happen and I'm okay (ish) with that) my emotions are all over the place. I lay awake last night worrying that my WORRYING would bring the cancer back?! WTH??? Then this morning I talked to a cousin who informed me that if I'm worrying so much over everything, then I must not trust God. So then I worried that I'm not a very good Christian???!  Yeah, it gets better! I opened my email just before checking in here and there was my inspirational quote for the day-Happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy. There's going to be stress in life, but it's your choice whether you let it affect you or not. I swear, I actually read that and immediately thought, "SOOOO, I don't trust God AND I'm not making the right choices???!!" Anyway, that's my level of my up, down, sideways crazy right now. Not all the time, thank GOD! But today.......

No favorite weather person here, although I do enjoy watching Jim Cantore sometimes! I have some dear friends who just moved to NC from CT and I'm a bit worried about them.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-12 7:56 PM Edited 2018-09-12 7:58 PM
Pam I wish I could say the right words and you would be worry free.  I can't begin to imagine all that you have been through the past few years. WOW!  I worry a lot too, and have been on a much smoother road. (and i don't have to drive on roads around Atlanta!)  That you worry is not a sign of not trusting God.   As you lay awake, those worries are really your very real thoughts and concerns and He hears them!!!

Please please keep posting, whether you are running or not. Even if you just open the door and go out for the paper, please post.    None of us hear you whining.  You are part of this forum and let us help run/walk with you up those steep long hills.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-12 9:09 PM
Beautifully said Tom!  Hugs to you and Pam.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-13 5:06 AM
Dear Tom, you just made me cry, but not out of sadness or worry.:hug: You always know the right words to make a friend feel better. :hug:
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-09-15 12:08 AM
Pam, I'm sorry you are so stressed and worried. :sad: I wish I could change it for you, you've been through and burdened too much for one person!
You are however, stronger than you know. :hug:

All I can add to the wisdom you've received, is that all of your worrrying, stress etc, doesn't change a thing. It will be what it will be. I'm not a religious person, but if you are, perhaps you should/could just let go of it and trust in what you believe? In any case, I know worrying doesn't change, or help anything, it's simply a waste of your time, energy and life. Been there. :wink:

That said, you're in my thoughts and I hope you find some peace. :hug:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-15 6:31 AM
Thank you for the kind words.:hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wednesday Weather or Not