Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Turn off the spigot MONDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 7:11 AM
It's been raining buckets here, but I think worse else where. Sort of takes the joy out of these fall like temps. I hope all in the path of the Florence this week stay safe. How is your area been this year in terms of rain? Would you rather live in a wet or dry climate? Plus run/workout, weekend blathering.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 7:40 AM Edited 2018-09-10 7:42 AM
It's been very wet here this year, and we are over normal yearly rain fall with 3+ months to go and one of the wettest summers on record. Seems every week we get a day or two of 2-3" of rain. Hard to keep up with the mowing with all this precipitation, and the trails I run have pretty much been a mucky mess with lots of damage from flowing water. The trail I ran yesterday a short section of trail built over a creek had completely washed out and disappeared. Other small creeks you could see piles of rocks and dirt that had washed down the hill sides during flooding. So much water. I've lived in the desert and dryer climate but despite how rain can ruin your plans I do prefer an area where is somewhat normal precipitation and not long periods of dryness. It seems almost unnatural to me to live some place that is very dry.

Plan today is planet of fitness routine at lunch and some splashing about on the trails after work. I had a pair of 7 mile runs this weekend, fairly slow, very cool temperatures. Cool enough to take the Lady out again. She seems fine with the cooler temps. The 7 yesterday was at the Birdsboro watershed trails and I had not been there since June I suppose. Looked like they had lowered the water levels of one of the reservoirs substantially. I guess on purpose maybe to alleviate flooding later?

Watched the Browns play the Steelers yesterday, and it was the first time in years I got excited watching the Browns play. But a tie, really?!! I screamed at the tv some and had all kinds of dogs jumping about in excitement. They always expect a treat when I yell at the tv in excitement during a football game.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 7:52 AM
I was pulling for the Browns yesterday cuz of Tyrod Taylor.  I don't have a favorite NFL team, just players I like/hate from when they were in college.  Mostly, I just like watching sports in general. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:04 PM
I did not realize he was from Virginia Tech.  :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 4:13 PM
Yep. And nobody gave him a chance to be a starting QB in the NFL but he wouldn't give up. Was Flacco's back-up for a few years before going to buffalo. He's not the greatest obviously, but he's a hard worker :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:13 AM
I can't believe there are ties in football :roll:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:34 AM
ok, the best part of this to me is that your dogs think they get a treat when you scream at the tv  :laugh:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:50 AM
Well, DID the dogs get a treat after your screaming? :laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 10:02 AM
Enquiring minds want to know!  :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:03 PM
Not on the last scream, as the Browns missed the field goal after the interception in the final seconds. They did get several in the 4th quarter. It's pretty hilarious.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:02 AM
My dogs just stare at us when we scream at the TV.:roll:
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:14 AM
Lots of rain here in western NY too. Took the day off from running (I'm sore and my left hip/IT band feels aggravated) and blasted my core instead.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-10 7:33 PM
It rained buckets on the way to Pittsburgh Saturday and all day there, rained buckets on the drive back yesterday and the rest of the day here, and rained buckets today. I could have run today in the rain and should have but didn't...I didn't even have a schedule excuse. :laugh::blush:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-11 8:02 AM
Oh, you were at the game. Nice second half. I expect your were sick of the rain so no wonder you did not run yesterday.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 7:53 AM
Generally grouchy here. Hate this time of year.  It’s definitely not as brutal, but the increase in allergens more than offsets it.  I can’t get a good breath in even sitting down and my eyes are red, gooey, and feels like shards of glass.  Rain doesn’t even help my allergies.  I’m so allergic to everything, that rain just brings out something else to bother me.  And the daily Nasocort/Zyrtec combo just isn’t keeping up so anything else I take gives me the drug induced stupor feeling.  At least it’s football season, and I could be a lazy bum watching everything.  I think it’s been raining everywhere in the country – at least according to the football games I saw.

I haven’t paid much attention to Florence, but yeah.  People are saying we will get 20-40” of rain, much like Fran.  It’s too early for me to worry about it.  My co-workers are not pleased it will hitting over the weekend, and they will likely get called in to work.  And “state of emergency” => localities can apply to FEMA for storm response funding.  Which is great and all, but it means that they have to fill out a ridiculous amount of paperwork.  Each piece of equipment must get logged to each employee and time spent using it, and it all has to match up with time work logs, etc.  and if just 1 number doesn’t match something else, the whole sheet of $$$ reimbursement gets denied.  No chance for correction, and they get bitched at.  They absolutely hate it and I don’t blame them.  Easy to make mistakes at 3am after being awake for more than 24 hours and everyone is scattered about the city.  I’m thankful that I should be able to spend it at home.

I did not want to get out of my drug induce stupor sleep for my workout.  I knew I’d feel better in general if I did, and so I went.   Took it very easy on my walk/run on the flat asphalt river trail.  Grouchy that I just could not scrape all the cobwebs off at the gym.  They just kept coming back.  Most days this doesn’t bother me.  Today, I was just pissed off.  Lifting was P90X chest, shoulders, and tris.  Not my best.  I had a hard time dialing it in, and most of the exercises are odd and awkward.  My one arm push-ups are just laughable, even on my knees.  But I did get in 20 clapping push-ups, so a minor yay for that.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 7:58 AM
Sorry about the allergies and the grumpy Monday. That is a shitpot of rain. I am sure we will get impacted somehow as well. Latest rain is from Gordon's remnants. We need some dry days here.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:35 AM
oh, that's a lot of rain. I didn't realize how bad it would be until today
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:45 AM
Nice pushups! :cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 10:02 AM
:hug:  Some days just suck, and that's all there is to it.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:04 AM
Since the marriage of forums, I still don't know what everyone does......what is your job?
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 10:31 AM
My specific job is a Civil Engineer for my city. Since we are so small, I do all kinds of projects from storm sewer, to sanitary (blech), to roads (more fun) to traffic signal/management, to trails, and parking lots.  And I am in charge of our Department’s GIS layers.  And I work with a lot of our other departments (Ec Dev, Police, Parks & Rec, etc.) doing mapping, engineering stuff, analysis, etc.  At this point in my career, anything but engineering is what I like to do. :blush:  

I work in the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department.  Engineering is the only division of PW that works out of City Hall, so we are sort of the black sheep of the Department.  My Division is comprised of engineers (used to only be me, the E&S position & my boss, but we’ve hired a bunch more in the last 3 years and get half the work done that we used to :meh:), construction inspectors, and surveyors.  The traffic control people (street painting/sign making & installation/traffic signal repair) are also technically in my division, but they have their own separate building.  And, the rest of my department is comprised of street maintenance, sewer maintenance, trash collectors, cemeteries, the garage maintenance crews, custodians & bldg. maintenance, and the office staff.  

Public Works has to take care of storm response/emergencies, and they make sure our division is not excluded. : pbbt:  I used to be called in years ago, but at some point they exempted the engineers.  I am not complaining!  I used to have to work dispatch on the 7pm-7am shift.  I had to do it while 6-9 months pregnant and before we had no smoking rules.  The office was a thick cloud of smoke and I’m allergic to it, so my eyes would swell, and I’d lose my voice while croaking on the phone to angry citizens that we weren’t plowing their streets fast enough.  Blech!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:05 AM
I am fascinated by civil engineering!  Civil engineers make all the difference when it comes to whether a place if nice to live or not.  I originally wanted to be in municipal planning, more on the admin side, not the engineering side.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 3:03 PM
Then I must be doing one heck of a crappy job!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love the planning and design stages too. The construction admin crap I loathe with a passion. Old boss didn't have me do hardly anything with it.  New boss I do all of it for my projects and I only have about 1/3 (at best) of the number of projects to do. :meh: the less I have to do, the more unproductive and efficient I am with the little I have to do :meh: I used to juggle like 25-30 projects at once. No more:sad:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-10 8:14 AM
ran 3.50 with Benji this morning - we encountered 8 runners, 5 walkers and 2 dogs. I was surprised at how many people we saw since we actually got an early start this a.m.
yesterday was the first day in a while that we hadn't had rain, but mrbarney and I were in Las Vegas from Thu-Sat so we missed all the rain and instead enjoyed the sunshine and 103 temps. I'll take that any day over rainy and dreary. we've been in a drought state for a bit but I think the rains we had at the beginning of August, and the inches we've gotten this month so far, have really alleviated some of the dryness.

JLo put on a great show and we had a fun but quick trip to Sin City. spent Saturday afternoon napping, SS & church yesterday and then another nap. finished up my puzzle and then it was Monday all over again.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:36 AM
glad you had a fun trip!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:45 AM
Fun trip! :grin:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 10:01 AM

> then it was Monday all over again

Funny how that happens.  :laugh:  Sounds like a great little break, though.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:05 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip! spend three days in Vegas and not a minute more.  I love it, but by hour 37, it is TOO MUCH.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:05 PM
SS & Church after returning from Vegas! :laugh:  :evil:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-10 8:31 AM
8 miles before work.

It’s  time to get back to 2 longer runs during the week. My running partner is going to a conference tomorrow so will miss our Wednesday AM run so I got him to join me today. He is building back after a few weeks off so we did 8. It was warm and humid again, so the shirt scame off early, but it ended up being a decent run.

We are behind on rain, I think they said by 10 inches the other day. That will not be the case in a week as Florence will dump a lot on us over the weekend. I’m keeping a close eye on the forecast as I fly out on Thursday AM for RTB.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:36 AM
I hope you don't get hit too hard!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:45 AM
I hope you make it out of NC ok! When is it supposed to hit?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:21 AM
It looks like it will make landfall Thursday evening. I fly out of Charlottte which is a good ways from the coast so it should be ok.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 10:00 AM
Nice run!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:07 AM
AS of this morning, it looked like they think the worst of the storm will be north of you....I hope you just get a regular amount of NOT AWFUL hurricane.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:06 PM
Oh, good luck with the travels this week.
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-09-10 9:12 AM Edited 2018-09-10 9:37 AM
20 so-so minutes. I had to slow at 15:00 to use my inhaler, but continued on fine after. Walked 25:00 before i started and a few after. Still need to take the cat for a walk. :happy:

2 coins, 26¢.:grin:

I don't want to talk about rain. :cry: 3 fires in N. CA may merge, one already the new largest in State history. If it happens, it will become the largest in US, if not all of recorded history. :mutmad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:44 AM
the fires :cry::mutmad:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:49 AM
those fires are so scary.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 10:00 AM
:sad:  There have been so many wildfires in so many places around North America this summer - not good.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:08 AM
The fires are so awful.:sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 2:59 PM
It sucks that the areas that need the rain aren't the ones getting pounded by it :mutmad:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:06 PM
Your coinage is too simple!

The fires are horrible. :sad:
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2018-09-10 10:21 PM
So.: pbbt: The quarter is a Fredrick Douglas quarter. :happy:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-11 8:13 AM
I hear he's gonna do great things! :laugh:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:12 AM
We had a very soggy summer. So much rain. It rained all day yesterday and will rain all day today and tomorrow. I would rather live in a dry climate, but not one that has droughts.

Weekend recap:
Saturday I set out to do 18 miles with some hills thrown in. I mapped out a run right before I left and let DH know where I'd be going. My plan was to run a bit further down this one road I usually turn off of to get in a few extra miles and start at a lower point on one of the gradual uphills. So off I went, decked out in my bright orange shorts, blue and orange shirt, black and pink calf panties, purple shoes, and blue and red visor with hair up in pigtails. So, the usual for me on a long run. I was happily running down this road, got to my usual turn off point, and kept going. I am terrible at estimating distance on a map, so I wasn't sure how far I had to go before making my new turn, but I stopped and looked at the road signs at every intersection and didn't see my turnoff. I kept running, and the neighborhood changed drastically. I thought I should probably turn around and go back and ask someone at the Dunkin Donuts at the last intersection about a half mile back, but then I saw a road sign up ahead that I thought might be my road, but then I noticed that the street I was on had changed names and that I could see city buildings up ahead, and I realized I was now in Paterson. :shocker!: (If you don't know Paterson, NJ, it used to be a really great city back in the day, but now it is not a nice place.) I saw two ladies standing outside of a liquor store up ahead (it was like 8am) and asked them if Goffle Rd was up ahead or if I missed it. The one lady helpfully told me that I had missed it, it was back by the Dunkin Donuts and I should go back the way I came. I did, and I saw that I had missed the turn because it wasn't marked in the direction I had come from, it basically would have been a hairpin turn and that's not what it had looked like on the map so I didn't know to look for it. :roll: Once I finally got back on track, I just clicked off the miles. I stopped at 7-11 to get water at one point, and a guy asked if I was running the marathon and I said yes (I assume he meant NYC but I didn't feel like explaining that there is more than one : pbbt:), and he said his friend was training for it too and that his friend had a bit of a belly but he could still run like a chicken. :wtf::laugh: The rest of the run was uneventful, but I had to change my original plan because it would have been over 20 miles instead of the 18 I had originally planned. I ended up with exactly 19 miles. It was one of the strongest long runs I have had in a long time, even with getting lost and the hills!

When I came to work today I told my friend that lives in Paterson where I accidentally ran on Saturday, and she said that's a part of town she never goes and was never allowed to go growing up, and that there are a lot of hard drug dealers there. :shocker!: Never gonna miss that turn again!

Sunday was a rest day. Then I got a migraine. :cry:

Today I got up to run, but I still had the migraine. So I went back to bed for an hour. I will either bike or run after work depending on the head.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:38 AM
that is a great strong run! Good for you, and glad you didn't go too far off your route.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 9:54 AM

> bright orange shorts, blue and orange shirt, black and pink calf panties, purple shoes, and blue and red visor with hair up in pigtails
> his friend had a bit of a belly but he could still run like a chicken

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's a hilarious story.  Any chance your outfit played a role in why all the drug dealers left you alone?  :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:39 AM
Any chance your outfit played a role in why all the drug dealers left you alone?
:laugh::laugh: I think so!!!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:58 AM
If you had any personal checks with you on your run, you probably could have found several store(fronts) where you could have cashed them...for a fee! 

Be careful where you run!

DS spent 3 years at the college in "Wayne" NJ that bears the name "Paterson" and I think they call it Wayne so prospective students won't shy away from it.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:40 AM
I am sure there were some check cashing stores, but I didn't notice since I was just trying to get back to my route. That was my fastest split of the day! :shocker!:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:10 AM
Fun times on the road are what keeping training interesting!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 2:59 PM
Well that certainly isn't your typical boring long run. :laugh: I'm glad everyone left you alone and was helpful.

Migraine:cry:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:08 PM
Well done on the long run. It sounded very colorful in a number of ways.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-10 9:14 AM
How is your area been this year in terms of rain?  I live in a rain forest but it has been a dry summer until the last couple of weeks.  It has been a great relief to dampen down things and have the streams etc grow so the salmon can get up there easier.  No fires for us so all is well!

Would you rather live in a wet or dry climate? I love the rain we get....usually when it is just cloudy it is a nice refreshing mist....perfect for running, hiking etc.  Our house is heated by a wood stove so it dries out the dogs and clothes real fast

Plus run/workout  Did some step up thingees and some weights after a 9km with Molly....in the cool fog with bright blue sky just emerging now. 

weekend blathering. Thanks for everyone's thoughts about our little friend Beep.  He ended up wrapped in a small blue towel in a dry hole beside a couple of my raised garden beds but nicely under a huge tree.  Immortalized with a little message on a rock written with a sharpie :hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:38 AM
RIP little Beep
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-10 10:02 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:44 AM
Beep :hug:

Lovely morning!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-10 10:02 AM
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 9:59 AM
Glad to hear the salmon will have water for their spawning.  That must be quite a sight.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-10 10:03 AM
Yes they could use a lot more rain but it's a lot better than earlier this month :hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:11 AM
:hug:Beep:hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-10 10:28 AM
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 2:58 PM
:hug: you're a good peep:hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:09 PM
Misty running is very nice. :cool:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-10 9:21 AM Edited 2018-09-10 9:30 AM
5.9 miles walking for me - 2.5 with Olive and 3.4 with my neighbor :hug:

It was a beautiful morning and fun to catch up.
I'm still sore from the free cross fit class I did with my running friends on Saturday. It didn't bother me during my run but the toilet is getting further and further away. Dang squat ball slams.

Oh yeah!! I ordered my koala clip!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:43 AM
Oh! I forgot to mention that ordering a koala clip is the first thing I did when I got home from my run Saturday. If I had my phone on me I never would have gotten lost. :roll:

Sounds like a nice morning! :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 9:56 AM
I'm thinking of ordering one too - to keep my phone warm during cold runs.  There was one day last week when it was just above freezing when I was running and when I got home my battery percentage had dropped from 65% or something like that to 9%.  :roll:  Stupid little phone is not well-adapted to the local climate!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 2:57 PM
Last week it was just above freezing?! Please let me move in....
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 9:57 AM

> the toilet is getting further and further away

:laugh::laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:12 AM
Yay on the koala clip!!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:09 PM
I hope you have good aim!  : pbbt:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:32 AM
we have had some rain, and definitely overcast here. But it brings cooler temps, so I will take it!

6 miles today, felt fine.

Started my new job. It is weird to start when working from home. My computer just arrived and I am waiting for it to run some setup thing.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:43 AM
Yay new job! My favorite part was always learning the ins and outs of the new office, where the bathroom is, etc. I guess you don't have that! : pbbt:

Glad your running felt good today! :grin:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:44 AM
:laugh: yeah, I know where everything is.

It is such a small company that right now it is working out of a We Work. Should have a real office in a few months.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:46 AM
Where is the home base? SF?
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 9:49 AM
Yes, SF.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 9:58 AM
Congratulations again on the new job!  Were you working from home in your old job as well?
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:17 AM
Yes, I've been working from home for 5+ years now. I can't imagine ever commuting again.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:13 AM
That has got to be weird having a new job, but not being in a new space.  GoodLuck!!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-10 10:36 AM
loved the photos of N with Sotomayor!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:55 AM
Thanks! It was so amazing! N was sick, but I just gave her lots of meds to get her through.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:11 PM
Cool on the new job. It does sound strange having your first day at home (says the guy who has worked from home for decades now).
- - By skigirl Date 2018-09-10 9:52 AM
Hi all, last week flew by (first week of school) and I haven't posted in a few days.  Tuesday and Wednesday I ran and my runs felt *fabulous* - I actually felt like a runner again, not just someone who plods around in running shoes.  Thursday I decided to take as a rest day.  Friday I got ART on my ankle and the ankle felt weird afterwards so I decided to give it another rest day. 

Then at 3:00 am on Saturday morning I had the worst allergic reaction I've ever had - I was awake for a couple of hours with it, trying to decide whether to wake up my DH to have him take me to the emergency department.  Fortunately right around the time I was getting seriously worried, the symptoms started to subside, and I managed to get back to sleep, although very fitfully (waking up every 20-30 minutes with symptoms). 

I'm not sure what triggered the allergy attack but DH and I spent the balance of the weekend deep-cleaning the house, in case the accumulation of dust and dog fur and other crud had played a role. 

Sunday I went out for a "run" that felt dreadful.  Felt like going right back to the beginning in terms of getting used to running without orthotics.  I also think I was underfueled.  I had had intentions of going for a run before work this morning but when I woke up it was pouring rain outside and I felt yucky so I went back to sleep.  : pbbt:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:15 AM
Glad you are feeling better-ish. No more deep cleaning for you!!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-10 10:34 AM
that is really scary! I always have to shower after deep cleaning or working in the yard. I feel coated with dust etc and know i start sneezing later if i don't. I can't always make DH shower though. :roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:37 AM
Scary about the allergy attack! Glad you are feeling better though. :happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 2:54 PM
Allergy hangover peeps unite :meh: I'd guess it was the deep cleaning, but how scary! I'm glad you didn't require an ER visit
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:12 PM
Oh geez, that sounds scary with the allergy reaction. Glad you are ok. I would not worry about one bad run.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:09 AM
I'm in the same broad geographical area as XT so his description of the weather stands for me too! Altho, while it's still overcast, relatively cool & gloomy, raindrops haven't actually been falling for a few hours.

I taught spin class this morning and did core, hip & shoulder exercises afterwards.  I will complete my workouts for the day later when I sub for another instructor's 5:45pm class at another fitness center in our "chain" of 3.  I've subbed there before but not in several years and a few months ago they got new bikes, a different brand than us and with a feature (watts, a measure of power) that we don't have.  I taught on that type bike for a couple of years in the other job I had so I'm familiar but will get there early to set up & reacclimate myself.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:16 AM
Sounds like fancy bikes!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:29 AM
When we upgraded to them in the other job I used to work my boss (who is again my current boss) called it going from an old station wagon to a new sports car! We are the newest of the 3 centers (opened Dec. '12) and now the others have replaced their bikes.  We should be next but won't be until next year or the year after...if then.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:38 AM
Are you doing the same class as this morning this evening?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-10 1:08 PM Edited 2018-09-10 1:12 PM
No, it's a 5 minute shorter class (50 vs 55 minutes) and I decided to put one together with lots of music I've enjoyed using for classes, know very well and movements/drills that will make them work but are easy to coach.  Less variables in a setting I haven't been in for a while reduces the risk of messing something up.  Of course, after they are impressed with the class I teach they will all want to come to my regular classes :roll:

...and while I see zero chance of anyone who was in my class this morning coming to this one tonight, I do expect one of my Thursday night class semi-regulars since she told me she always goes to this class.  The facilities are both 6.5 miles from my house in different but not exactly opposite directions.  For some of our members one might be near work & the other near home or on the way from one to the other.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 10:22 AM
Taper week for me, so easy 4 miles this morning in a temperature which started with a "6"!!!:happy: I will go to boxing class tonight.

I prefer drier a climate......I don't mind some rain, but hate snow, ice and sleet.  I guess Dallas has about the perfect amount of rain as it typically rains "every so often", though when it comes down, it is can be in buckets.  In my ten winters here, I think at least five of them had no winter precipitation and that pleases me.:happy:  I have only visited very arid places and find it nice, though I suspect it would get to be too much after a while.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-10 10:28 AM
which race? :grin:

that surprises me about Dallas. I think of dallas as very wet but maybe that is just humidity. :wtf:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:10 AM
I running Bismarck on Saturday. 

Dallas can go months without rain.  Sure we can get a rainy week here and there, and when "it rains, it pours".:laugh:  I guess when I compare it to Detroit, it rains much, much, much less here.  In my city, in an effort to conserve water, we can only water our grass two days a week.....it has been like that the whole time we lived here, except for the really bad drought year and then, we could only do it once a week,
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:38 AM
The 60s must have felt so nice!!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-10 2:55 PM
I bet it was a shock to your system. :happy:

I sometimes like gloomy days after endless brutal sun. But when the gloom last a month, it gets old. I just need to win the lottery so I can relocate as the seasons change
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:13 PM
When I lived in the high desert of CA I used to wish for clouds and rain on summer days. Once or twice a year we got them and it was heaven.

Happy taper!
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-10 10:27 AM
It's been such a long, dry summer here that i am really looking forward to the change of seasons and rain returning. We got a hint of rain this weekend which was very welcome. We have lost plants this summer because of the dry conditions. But i hope everyone comes through alright with the hurricane. 

Good weekend! There was no group run which was rather nice as it gave me a chance to explore for another course i'd like to do for a group run. And a friend was able to join me exploring. And there were enough options that DH came along as well. 12 miles on some parts of the city i have not been to in years. Super fun! I have not felt the ankle when running but 12 miles evidently might be too much as it was sore and a bit swollen later in the day. Plus my hip was bugging me. :meh: It was worth it though. :grin:: pbbt::roll:

yardwork, cleaning, cooking all got done. Plus we have a large weight machine that has been in our basement. I did use this for quite a bit and we'd gotten a ridiculous deal on it from a coworker of DH (who had been diagnosed with brain cancer if i remember correctly :sad:). But it was time for it to move in preparation for getting rid of it. it took the two of us most of the afternoon to get it apart, move it and reassemble it upstairs so we can get better pictures. Phew. So happy to get that started! and it was a great workout! :laugh:: pbbt:

This morning, i ran 3.5 and did some leg/hip work.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:15 AM
I love when I am able to get out of the "regular" weekend routes and do something new.  How fun for you to run something you haven't done in years!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-10 11:38 AM
What a fun weekend! :happy:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:15 PM
I think my neighbor lost a tree in the back of his property as it's been too moist. The water sort of flows downhill there and it's been wet and soggy almost all summer.

Sounds like a fun route. I hope there was some dirt in there!
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-10 2:10 PM
I think we’ve had a pretty average year in terms of rain. The lake is usually a good way to estimate and assess. Early in the year the level was a bit low, but spring rains brought it up to a “normal” range.

Weekend was great - up in Ontario for a wedding of 2 widowed people, which was pretty awesome. No runs while I was there but my PF is feeling progressively better. I didn’t bring the nighttime boot up here with me...clunky to bring on a plane and not particularly sexy:cool::grin::mischief::wink:.

1.5 trail miles this morning.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-10 3:16 PM
Good news on the PF. FUPF.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Turn off the spigot MONDAILY