Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Rainy Sunday, 9 Sep 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-09 9:16 AM
Rain, rain, rain!

We have it.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-09 11:08 AM
Thanks for the Sundaily.   Today is the first sunny rain-free day we've had in a week.  It is so nice to be outside and not be soggy.
I have a couple miles planned for later.  I'm making home made pizza for the Bears game so I'll run while it is in the oven.

Last night was my husband's class reunion and I enjoyed conversation with a 5 time Ironman.:grin:  Adult-onset athlete, started running at age 45.  I shared a bit about my one and only marathon but you know he was only politely interested.:laugh:  Anyway, nice evening, good good people.  Makes me happy about how we've all turned out.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-09 12:17 PM
Sounds like your hubby had a good class.   I wonder if Lynda will relate to any of my high school classmates?:wink:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-10 7:10 AM
Sounds like fun, other than the guy who SHOULD have been more interested in your marathon!! WE will always be interested in any and all running stories!!:hug:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-09-09 12:26 PM
Rain, rain, rain!   Yep.  Supposed to have a church wide picture out front today.   That arc being constructed was blocking the view. 

Mark HH and I were talking about those who had long runs scheduled today.  Miles of soaked feet is not fun.

Aunt Shirley care most of today.

Tom in DE

54 days
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-09 1:03 PM
54 days til?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-09 3:13 PM
Apparently, Friday November 2nd.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-09 3:31 PM Edited 2018-09-09 3:40 PM
I had to run some stuff at work today. So I got that going this morning. Other than that I just have to check on it now and then. No big deal.

Then I had to do the slides at church this morning, so I had to get there a little early and stay for both services. It's always interesting to see how the message goes the second time around. The pastor seems to make little adjustments to what he said the first time.

I got home a little before 1:00 PM. And this is where everything deviates from expectations. It was hot and sunny with a threat of thunderstorms, but I decided to go over to the park and run the American Heroes 5k scheduled for 2:00 PM. I figure one more person's entry will help the cause. So I get dressed and headed over. (Cindy couldn't comprehend what in the world I was doing.)

I had run the 3 previous days and yesterday was a toughish 4 humid miles on rolling hills, so I wasn't going to run hard. I put on my big Hoka shoes and thick socks instead of my light weight Saucony Freedom ISO's that I usually wear to 5k's.  I got registered and then a huge thunderstorm hit.  Everyone crowded in the back of the picnic shelter but the wind was still blowing the rain all the way back to us.  The rain came down like you wouldn't believe for about 45 minutes and then it stopped.  So 18 minutes late, the race started with a slightly modified route because there were some flooded sections after that rain.

I took off and hit mile 1 in 8:39. Oh crap, I can't run that pace for the whole race.  So I tried to back it off and ran the 2nd mile in 8:58. But the wheels still hadn't fallen off, and there were 2 people up ahead of me that looked catchable, so I off I went after a 60+ year old man and an 12 year old girl.  Mile 3 was 8:36 and I caught the both.  During the home stretch, the girl flew by me like I wasn't moving, but I finished with a time of 26:54.  My best since April when it was 40 degrees instead of today's balmy post rain 70+.

Took 1st in my age group.

Heavy rain hit after I was done. A few stragglers were still out in it.

They managed to cook hotdogs during the dry spell, so I had a couple post race hotdogs and potato chips.

I can't believe I went "all out".  Once this post race euphoria leaves me, I fear a mighty crash.  We have 6 people coming over for desserts at 6:00.  I think  can make it through that. :roll:  Can't wait to try everything that they bring.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-09-09 3:53 PM
Wow!!   Smokin' fast.  I hope the euphoria never leaves; you earned this one.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-09 6:17 PM
Good job Dave!
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-10 7:13 AM
Congratulations, Dave!! That is awesome! Hoping you haven't "crashed".....but if you have, I'll bet it was worth it!!:hug:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-09-09 6:44 PM
Went for a walk and there were dark clouds over me.  But I made it home without getting wet and so far the rain is holding off. 

We made a pot roast for dinner.  Oh my goodness, my house smelled so good.

That's it from here.
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-09-09 7:48 PM
We haven't made a lot roast for a while, but I see one in our near future.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-09-10 7:12 AM
Ray made a pot roast here yesterday! He did some Carribean twist on it. It was really good.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Rainy Sunday, 9 Sep 2018