Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / It's not even Friday the 13th!
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-09-07 9:32 AM
- we thought the window replacement guys were coming today, but they called to confirm and that's not until next Tues (oUr bad, not theirs)
- DW discovered that the upstairs toilet is leaking when it's flushed.  Doesn't look like a seal, more like the big pipe.  It drips water through the floor onto the person sitting on the downstairs toilet, which was her this time :laugh:
- our well just ran dry.  My money says the well guy won't be able to get here until the middle of next week, but he may surprise me.  He's good, just extremely busy...
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-07 9:38 AM
We just dealt with the upstairs toilet leaking into the downstairs bathroom.  As blazerman fancies himself a handyman:roll::roll:, and he initially wasn't sure if the leak was the toilet, the shower or the roof, he ripped out part of the wall of the downstairs bathroom to take a gander.  The leak has been fixed, but my wall has had a hole for about six weeks now.  :meh:  This particular bathroom is the one people use if they are at our house as it is in main hallway.  While none of our friends who have used that room have asked about it, I am sure they are talking among themselves about how we live like rednecks!:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-07 9:50 AM
Oh my! When it rains it pours! And it especially sucks when it rains toilet water through one's ceiling! :cry:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-07 10:10 AM
Ugh. That's a lot.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-09-07 10:15 AM
I was wrong (thankfully) about the well man.  He called and said he'd be here within the hour!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-07 12:35 PM
It drips water through the floor onto the person sitting on the downstairs toilet, which was her this time
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-09-07 3:01 PM
Some of that you stuff you can deal with, the well running dry is not one of them. :sad:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-07 3:56 PM
Oh geez. :cry: I hope that you don't have to drill a new well. Like ft suggested the other things are manageable, but the well thing really sucks (or rather doesn't). I don't know about your situation given topography, geology, groundwater  etc. but when we had to replace a well gone dry at my boyhood home which we now rent out, the cost was well over 10 grand, more like 15 as I recall.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-09-11 8:17 AM
All it took was a new switch.  The bill should arrive today or tomorrow.  Probably $20 for the part, $80 for the house call, and another $40 for installation, but we'll see :laugh:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-07 9:51 AM
Took my car to the car wash place at 7:55am and they weren’t open or answering their phones. They were supposed to be open at 7.  They called me back at 9am and I took it up there.  Guess they slept in. They said it’d be done by lunch. Crossing fingers. You don’t mess with my lunch at home.  You just don’t.  We almost always clean them ourselves.  Or, DH has taken care of it the last several years… :blush:  But, after that soccer tournament in the rain, it got gross.  Then it got so hot and I wasn’t doing it.  And then we moved DS1…. And… well… my bday is next week, so I’m being lazy.  They do a nice job (wash/wax/interior) and it’s only $30 and one block up the street from my office.  And they got a stamp of approval from DH, who is generally very picky. Hard to beat, but I do feel guilty when I can do it myself. :blush:

Also paid for the boiler yesterday.   I was pleasantly surprised it was what they quoted.  It was about ½ of what I always thought it would be, so I wondered if the quote didn’t include labor or something.  And they never did charge us for the emergency 11:45pm NYE visit.  Very pleased, but still broke

Workout - Long cardio day today. 30 min pretty easy walk.  45 min stairmonster that wound up being a better than planned effort.  Left puddles on all the stairs.  Then 30 min bike that I thought would need to be easy.  My bike has stunk lately.  But it wound up being one of my strongest?  I will take it, especially since my sleep was wretched.  Just very tired and sore and whipped from leg day yesterday.  And it seems to be getting worse as the day goes on, and I’ve got a killer headache . (not unusual, but ugh!)
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 11:26 AM
There's an automated car wash 3/4 mi from our house.  Mondays & Tuesdays are 40% off for men and 62 & over respectively (Wednesdays for women but DW never takes the car to the car wash :roll:  ).  The "kid" across the street (I say kid since he grew up with our kids and is a year younger than our DD but still he's 37 so not really a kid) does detailing.  So, if I'm ever motivated to have that done, he's got the job.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-07 12:51 PM
Hope you got your car before lunch! :grin::grin:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-07 10:11 AM
4.2 mile run with husband in 94% humidity. We were both dying.

yoga in 97 degrees :laugh: I didn't feel bad in there though :wtf:

Now time to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Happy Weekend peeps!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-07 12:39 PM
:laugh::laugh:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 11:40 AM
I went to the gym this morning and did the usual core, hip & shoulder stuff and then swam 800 meters.  My left arm still hurts some where they stuck me with the pneumococcal vaccine Wednesday morning so I cut back to 1/2 my usual swim :meh: 

The woman who teaches our Fri 6am spin class sent a 2nd email out looking for a sub next Friday morning so I offered to cover it.  In line with today's topic, she requested a sub for 6am Friday Sept. 13 :roll:  I knew she meant the 14th & politely pointed that out in my reply.
The guy who teaches one spin class at our center and two at our "sister" center needed a sub for his Monday 5:45pm class this Monday so I'm going to cover that for him.  I've subbed there before but not for a few years.  It's actually the same distance from home as where I regularly teach, just in a different direction.  They got new Kaiser bikes with watt meters a couple of months ago.  I taught on them in a previous job so am familiar with them & will be nice to use that feature again.
The woman who teaches our Sat. 8am class needed a sub for a week from tomorrow & sent out a 2nd request.  I offered to cover that one too. 
Monday is definite, Fri & Sat are tentative for now as someone else could have offered between emails.  Maybe 6 classes next week instead of my usual 3 :roll:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-07 12:50 PM
Wow, that will be a big week of spin if you do that! :grin:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 1:46 PM
Just got confirmed!  6 isn't bad, they are spread out.  My PR is 8 classes in one week.  There are instructors who have that many & more on their regular schedule but they are doing it to make a living/help make a living and not retirees doing it because it's fun.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-07 12:49 PM
Rest day today. I slept in a bit, and I intended to do some yoga but ended up only getting in 5 minutes of stretching because I took too much time hanging out with my kitties before I let the dog out for the day. :hug: I also threw together dinner in the crockpot which involved taking all of the spices out of the cupboard looking for what I needed. :roll: For real I will do yoga after work and take the dog on a long walk.

Happy Friday all! :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-07 12:50 PM
You know, sometimes sleep and kitty time is just what you need :hug::hug:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-07 1:43 PM
5 miles on trails this morning.

There was a woman waiting in the parking lot when I pulled in shortly before our set time of 7 AM and she came over as our group is a “published” group run. I was already friends with her on FB (through other running friends) but we had never officially met. She is working with a local race director to bring a 100 mile race to the forest next April. We had to take a few more walking breaks than usual as she was feeling naucious and we weren’t about to leave her by herself even though she probably knows her way around the trails very well.

In keeping with the house woes, the first estimate we received to remediate the squirrels in the attic (along with their mice friends that we didn’t know about) was just over $1,000. We have another company coming next week  for a second opinion.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-07 5:28 PM
That is an awesome story around your run. :cool:

But the squirrels in your attic story is cringe-worthy. :cry: We've had that problem in our neighborhood, and have had squirrels chomping on our roof at the edges and under ridge vents trying to get in, but luckily have not had a successful invasion yet (knock knock).
- By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-07 4:01 PM
While you maybe didn't intend this as a dailies, I'll treat it as one like others are and post here if you don't mind.:wink: Oops that was more like a reply, but I did reply to your post above. Anyhow, my Friday included 5.5 easy miles along the river under cloudy skies with temps not as bad as the past few days but still humid. :happy:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-07 5:01 PM
I dunno, so far I haven’t had a safe land on my head or anything like that...maybe I’m just in a good mood because I’m going to see my girlfriend tonight.

3 miles this morning, in the dark on the trails.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-07 5:21 PM
:cool: Not having a safe drop on your head itself makes for a good day. Three miles in the dark on trail of course is good, too. If you see this, do you wear a headlamp on trails in the dark or count on ambient or other lighting?
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-07 6:12 PM Edited 2018-09-07 6:14 PM
I used the headlight from my bike, held in my hand. It got light during my run, so I turned it on and off a few times based on the combination of ambient light (more as the run went on), how much leaf cover there was on any given section of trail, and how rocky/rooty the trail was. For the last ~0.7 miles I had it off the entire time. This is the 1.5 mile loop I’ve done many, many times, so I know the terrain quite well.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-07 7:07 PM
:cool:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / It's not even Friday the 13th!