Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Squishy Thursday Dailies
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 6:08 AM
:laugh:: pbbt: It's humid as a mother out there after an overnight shower. 91%.

Do you like candy corn? Have you ever mixed candy corn and dry roasted / salted peanuts? Tastes like a payday. : pbbt: What's another combo you like... odd or not?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-06 7:51 AM
Warm and humid here still today. About 80 with dewpoint of 77.

I took the Lady out this morning early for a short 3 mile doggie joggie out on the local trail. The humidity was so thick you could see in nestling among the hills. Slow as molasses. I do not run well on get up and go sort of runs. Like my body is in need of lubrication. I've always been that way though.

Last night, was 7 miles out on the trails on the easy side of the lake. Made my 7 under 70 by 7 seconds. So just barely. I was well ahead at my first 2 checkpoints, still on track but fading on last one with ~2 miles to go but the heat was getting to me a bit. Felt sure I had faded but when I hit the trailhead for the finish and stopped my watch it still said 1:09 something then I saw the seconds. I wasn't really pushing hard, just trying to run a steady good pace. I just run with a regular watch, no gps or pace, so it's all about feel. Sort of fun. Glad to be under 70 regularly again on this trail loop.

I used to like candy corn, but the last time I had it (2 or 3 years) ago it made me feel sick. Probably because I ate half the bag. :laugh:

Can't think of any odd combos. I do put nectarines and raisins on my oatmeal during the summer months.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 8:02 AM
Yeah, I'm sure I'd feel the same eating half the bag. :laugh: Funny though because I could eat half a bag of m&ms and be fine!

Nice run. I hear ya on getting up and going. I like to get up, take my time, etc. My husband is always like why do you need 30 minutes? :mutmad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:48 AM
I used to get up and be out the door in 10-15 min. Now with all my warning up crap, it's more like 45 :meh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:50 AM
Seems like you should go buy a lotto ticket with some combo of 7s and a few 2s...  77* DP :cry::cry:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 10:55 AM
Made my 7 under 70 by 7 seconds. :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:18 PM
It's good you can still make your 7 under 70! 

Back in the day I had a goal time I wanted to be under (to the point of being overly anal about it) on my 4 and 6 mile neighborhood loops.  It was hard to accept when it was no longer possible for me to make those times.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-09-06 1:07 PM
Candy corn + salted peanuts is great!  I love that combo.

Another combo:  cold apple pie and sharp cheddar cheese.  Warm apple pie should be eaten with ice cream.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 3:59 PM
YES!!!
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-06 3:31 PM
Yeah hot and humid as a mother here too. But the thunderstorms didn't hit until late afternoon so I was just squishy from my own sweat for 5.5 miles along the river at lunchtime.

Peanuts with m&m's or reeses pieces is a great combo but isn't unusual since it appears in a lot of party and trail mixes. I do all kinds of weird combos and other ones not so odd. One of my faves is tabasco or other hot sauce on cottage cheese...that comes from some former President, I think Gerald Ford. :wtf: It probably qualifies as odd. :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:47 PM
Umm yeah... I'll call that odd! :laugh:

That being said, I love hot sauce. Cottage cheese notsomuch. But I like hot sauce on eggs, so maybe not that different?
:laugh: I don't think I would like that combo but I do love hot sauce!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 6:10 AM
6 miles with my fast friend. We were only gonna do 5 but she said if we slowed the pace, could we go 6? Our last mile was still sub 9 so I don't call that slowing the pace. :laugh:

It was good though! Glad we did it.

I already mentioned my combo above. I do love me some candy corn and candy pumpkins. :blush:: pbbt:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-06 8:46 AM
that is a great run in the humidity
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:50 AM
Your friend is a liar : pbbt: but I'm sure you love her anyway. Nice job :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 10:55 AM
Nice! :cool:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:36 AM
look at you, speedy!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:20 PM
It's nice when you get sucked in to doing more.  It's nice once it's over that is!  :laugh:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-06 7:31 AM
5 miles before work.

I have lunch meetings that I need to facilitate and a meeting this evening so it was the only window available today. I haven’t been on the riverfront trail on a Thursday morning so wasn’t sure who all I’d see. Our humidity was 100% (again, we’ve been stuck on  that all summer except for a few days 2 weeks ago). There was a decent breeze though so it wasn’t as opppressive as it has been. I managed a decent run and sped up a little bit each mile. The University runners were out in force today with both the women and the men out. I had about 2 miles left when they passed me on their out portion and I just barely held them off as the first group was right behind me when I finished.

I’m not a huge candy corn fan but did like the old harvest mix that had black cats, pumpkins, moons, etc. I can’t think of any weird combos.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 8:02 AM
Nice run! Glad you held off the university runners!! :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:51 AM
Holding off university runners => SUCCESS!  You don't have to do anything else today in my book
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 10:56 AM
You are going to fly at RTB with no humidity!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:39 AM
Flying is relative, but I am looking forward to some cooler, drier air.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:20 PM
That's good RtB practice holding off being road kill!
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-09-06 7:41 AM
It's only a four day week but, holy hell, is it dragging by.

I ran a cool (mid 60s) 5.2 miles in the dark this morning.

I don't like candy corn.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 8:03 AM
Yep, it's going by slowly for us too. My kiddo thought it was Friday this morning. :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:52 AM
My days drag between 8-5, but I think the week is going by quickly for once. Usually, I feel the same as you
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-06 1:10 PM
i was ready for the week to be over yesterday. :roll::meh:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:22 AM
The humidity seems to be bothering me a lot more lately.  Technically, it’s not any different, so I’m chalking it up to the allergies.  This is a very hard time of year for my body.  Come on November!  But, I did run today, and while it was not a good run lung wise, it was a good run on the body ache scale.  And for that, I am grateful.  It just felt like I was running through quicksand which left me exhausted when I stopped.  Then I did a 35 min leg video that was super hard.  4 groups of 2 exercises – each group done twice before progressing.  And each exercise is 30 sec of weights and 30 sec of similar jumping/kicking with no rest anywhere.  (30 sec dumbbell squats/30sec squat jumps = 1 exercise)  I am horrible at such things, but that means I have lot of room to improve!  It was fun trying.  Finished with a 15 min core workout.  Now that I am good at. :cool:

Candy corn is one of those things that I will eat if it’s there and keep going until it’s all gone.  Because of this, I don’t buy it.   Chocolate and peanut butter is not a weird combo, but it has been my fav for the last couple of years.  We are now into the period where various holidays cause stores to stock $4 giant reece’s shapes (pumpkins, santa, heart, easter bunny).  Those suckers are my breakfast staple on Saturday mornings.  I’ve been known to eat 2 at once. :blush:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 8:29 AM
I LOVE Reeses. I prefer any of those shapes slightly frozen. :hug::hug:

I really think the humidity can break me. :cry::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:50 PM
That sounds good!  This summer - in between the holidays - I've taken to eating the big cups with Reese's pieces. I don't care so much for Reece's pieces by themselves,but for some reason I love them in the big cups
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-06 8:45 AM
I can't believe you can eat two of those! I love sugar but those would set me over the edge.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:53 AM
My body loves junk food. Vegetables? Notsomuch :blush:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:22 PM
Nice workout!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-06 8:32 AM
Cool but smoky here as Molly and I did only 7km.  Mother nature was screaming at me in the worst way so we turned back home and made a safe landing :hug:

Do you like candy corn?  Not a big fan of those...they look like rotten teeth.  Also sort of on subject I don't like those mini cobs of corn you get in stir frys.

Have you ever mixed candy corn and dry roasted / salted peanuts?   Tastes like a payday.,,,,I'd say you're right....but back when I was pumping gas at minimum wage in the 80's

What's another combo you like... odd or not?   As previously posted in a different (but equally epic) post I started putting greens in my oatmeal only because a cute girl on a youtube video suggested it.  It looked gross but it's really good.  Today I added blackberries too.   I also recently discovered Crabbies go well with Appleton rum when my buddy was visiting.  Much healthier than using pop/soda!  :hug:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17/crabbies-ginger-beer-alcoholic_n_3094581.html
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-06 8:36 AM
PS:  This was really sad to read...The Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan accidentally drowned in a bathtub after drinking, a coroner's inquest concluded Thursday.  She was awesome:hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-06 8:43 AM
oh no, I hadn't seen that. Really sad.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 8:54 AM
:sad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 10:58 AM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:35 AM
Oh that's horribly sad. :sad:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-06 1:09 PM
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 10:58 AM
I hate those mini cobs of corn! I am so glad it's not just me : pbbt:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-06 11:35 AM
Yes we should start a club :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:57 AM
I love baby corn!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-06 1:41 PM
Me too...I love it soooo much I let it grow up into adult corn :hug:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-06 8:43 AM
agreed! the humidity just sucked today.

7 sopping wet miles.
I do not really like candy corn, i've heard the salted peanut thing but never tried it.

my kid came home with a fever and complaining of a sore throat last night, so we spent the evening at the minute clinic. No strep and she seemed fine this morning, but woke up screaming because of a bad nosebleed. poor kid.

Since I was at CVS anyway I got my picture taken for a passport renewal. It expires in december and I am traveling in November--from what I understand immigration is looking carefully at anyone who has a passport expiring in 6 months.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:36 AM
Oh man! I hope she's okay!

Seriously, sopping wet is an understatement. I don't even know why I bother with a tank top when it's like this. Oh wait, yeah I do. :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:52 AM
:laugh: I thought of y'all peeps in TX this morning when I hung my drippy soggy tank top on the back of the bathroom door and wondered how you deal with this for months on end. :cry:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:56 AM
I string it up through my bra because my tank grows in length. I’m already short!!! So annoying :mutmad:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:25 PM
We may have matched your early morning temps & humidity today!  Our weekend will be better & on Sunday it's not supposed to even reach 70!

Hope N feels better!
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-06 9:02 AM
10 miles this morning......everything, including my shoes & socks were squishy by mile 2. It's almost over? :meh: Will go to boxing class tonight.

I hate candy corn and all candy corn-like products. I love sweets, but candy corn is not my favorite.  I don't think this is a weird combo as there are food products which incorporate this, but I love chocolate and certain fruit flavors together such as orange & chocolate, cherry, raspberry, etc.

Your candy corn question reminded me of this Matt Ballassai video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CQM3qjY_OMI
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:36 AM
Yes, I could hear everything squishing. UGH.

Orange and chocolate :hug:

video :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:27 PM
It's almost over! You're almost there!  :roll:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:52 PM
Is it almost over? For you, probably not :cry:

Do you ever box in a ring and with punching bags and stuff?
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-07 8:52 AM
I never actually punch people when at boxing, I just work a bag.  I will do "mitt work" with my trainer, but that only involves me hitting his mitts, never his body.  Blazergirl has actually sparred in a ring which was fun(?) to watch as she sparred one of her BFFs (they wore head gear and mouth guards) .  She found it very challenging to actually punch her friend which was amusing as she when she played soccer and lacrosse, she was brutal on the field!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-09-07 9:30 AM
When I was in middle school there was a single pair of old boxing gloves in our basement.

My friends and I would take turns boxing. Each fighter wore one glove. The rule was that you could only hit with the gloved hand. One of the friends always got stuck with the left handed glove. He tended to lose.

Good times.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-07 9:52 AM
Oh that's funny! Classic old school kid play...
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-07 9:55 AM
Thats cool. Our old gym had equipment but no classes or anything. The owner's DD got into it and they got the ring and everything. Didn't last long though.  I'd like to learn. I'm competitive but not aggressive. I've never truly hit anyone in anger in my life.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 9:56 AM
I got up at 5:30 this morning to go to the local LabCorp to have blood drawn.  It's convenient at just 3/4 mi from home.  They open at 6am and unlike XT I've never made an appointment but just go early.  When I arrived at 5:45am, there were 4 people in line waiting for them to open...outdoors where it was 80 degrees with >90% humidity :cry:  Even after they drew 6 vials of blood :cry:  I was home having breakfast by 6:35! 

Do you like candy corn?
No.
Have you ever mixed candy corn and dry roasted / salted peanuts?  No
I'll mix Cheerios with Raisin Bran...need the raisins to give it some flavor!

My workout will be teaching a HIIT format 30 minute spin class at 5pm and a "regular" (intervals & climbs) 55 minute spin class at 6pm.  I have one ss tech T shirt with the logo of the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles on it and will wear that for the 2nd class! 

Since it had been a week and was growing like crazy, I got out this morning, at 9:10am for those concerned I might disturb my neighbors :laugh:  and cut my grass.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:00 AM
One of my coworkers wore an Eagles jersey to work today :happy:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:24 AM
Isn’t that illegal in northern NJ?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:04 PM
Probably only if he wore it to a game in that stadium in the Meadowlands!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:12 PM
The last time the Eagles were reigning league champions on opening day was 1960 so...

I have an Eagles Super Bowl LII Champions T shirt DS bought for me that I'll wear to & from "work" tonight.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:38 AM
I enjoy raisin bran with grape nuts :grin:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-06 1:08 PM
what?! plain cheerios are the best! none of those gross raisins. : pbbt:

6 vials? :cry:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:54 PM
6 vials? Is that normal? :shocker!:

I never had anything like that checked until my health insurance mandated it. 2 years ago they switched to coming to our workplace If you prefer. Oh heck yeah!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 6:47 AM
The usual screens for lipids, PSA, some generic stuff, TSH (since I have borderline hypothyroidism) and new this time a Hep C screen...if I listen to the ads on TV every baby boomer should be screened once and since Medicare is now my primary health ins. it covers one Hep C test...which the tech told me requires 3 different vials so that caused the jump in # of vials.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-07 9:56 AM
Gotcha. I listen to all those commercials too. I can't wait for my my shingles vaccine! I'll probably come down with it at 49 :roll:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 11:19 AM
Apparently a vaccine called Zostavax (that has a live virus) has been on the market for >10 years and was recommended for those 60 & over and something newer, Shingrix (does not have a live virus) is now available & recommended for those 50 & over...2 doses, 2 - 6 months apart.  I had the former shot last year.

Our DS got shingles a couple of years ago at 39 or 40 (I forget if it was 2 or 3 years ago). 

Wish I could be 49 again!
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 10:53 AM
Candy corn is ok. I wouldn't seek it out but if it's there I will have a few pieces. Mostly I just stick them on my eyeteeth and call myself a vampire. :laugh: I crack myself up. : pbbt: I mentioned in another thread that I like sweet potato fries with regular mustard, which some people find an odd combination. :wtf:

Super humid here too. :cry: We are supposed to get storms tonight that should cut down on that. Tomorrow's high is today's low. :cool:

8 miles this morning. Not sure if it's the increased mileage since my triathlon or the strength workout I did the other day, but my legs were dead this morning. :cry: I know part of it is that I usually max out at 6 miles for weekday runs, but I am having my coach add in longer mid-week runs to see if that helps me break 4 hours in the marathon finally. I will be increasing the 8 to 10 over time.

No potato sightings today : pbbt:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:39 AM
Nice run!

I'm with you. I was and still am feeling sluggish.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:39 PM
A lot of the local triathletes are doing the Half IM in Atlantic City in 2 weeks & most are complaining similarly about dead legs...and other body parts.  In my prime<---a long time ago, I'd always have 1 or 2 mid-week runs around 10 miles.  Worked for me.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-06 3:00 PM
blazer and nooner swear by the mid-week 10 milers too!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 6:56 AM
We had flextime at work so if I didn't have any late afternoon meetings I would go in early on Tuesdays, come home early and get 11 miles in well before dinner.  Then 8 - 10 with my running buddies on Thursday evening which counted as a tempo workout since we'd do parts of it pretty hard and a long run on Sunday.  Saturdays off so I'd be "fresh" for Sunday's long run, Mon - Wed - Fri were 4 - 6 miles at an easier pace, sometimes (especially Mondays) recovery.  This was during a marathon training cycle.  Some years I'd swap out the Tuesday longish run for hill repeats or 800 meter intervals. Didn't typically run double digits on Tuesday if I wasn't training for a marathon but the rest of the week was pretty similar.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-07 7:23 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-06 1:06 PM
i disliked mustard when i was a kid but now i love it on everything. that combo sounds great! I will have to try it. :shocker!:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:56 PM
I'm another who swore by it too. My staple mid week run was 1 mile w/u followed by 9 peppy. Called it my pace run. Would bump it to 12 (total) during peaks.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-07 7:23 AM
:cool:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:20 AM
walked 1 mile with benji this morning since it's not a run day for me. we fly out to Vegas tonight to 100* and no humidity. woot woot!

I like candy corn, but just a little bit - sort of like I only eat one Cadbury egg each Easter and then I'm like...ugh, why did I eat that? :laugh:
not sure if I have any weird combos - if I think of one I'll report back
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:39 AM
Have fun in Vegas!! :hug::hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:58 AM
we're seeing JLo tomorrow night, so excited!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:41 PM
If you speak to JLo, please ask her to ask A Rod to have his team stop beating mine!  :roll:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:57 PM
100 with no humidity will probably feel cold to you :laugh:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-06 11:22 AM
1.5 miles this morning.

Candy corn: About the first 5 taste good. If you continue to eat more they progress to OK, followed by mediocre, and eventually to disgusting.

Kiddo is recovering well from his hernia repair surgery. Still no school today and probably not tomorrow. His buddies all came by for a visit yesterday and will probably come again today.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:39 AM
I agree on the candy corn even tho I like it!

I'm glad he's doing well! :hug::hug:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:41 PM
Glad to hear your kid's doing well!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:57 PM
I'm so glad he's doing well!:hug:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-06 11:25 AM
not humid or hot here. the smoke has returned a bit though. It really feels and looks like fall. :grin:

I don't like candy corn. I also don't like payday bars. : pbbt: my current favorite combined flavors are brownies, caramel sauce and whipped cream. why go crazy? go with the standards. :laugh:

Ran 5.5 this morning with two friends at the track. :hug: Same workout as last week: 4 x 400 and consistent again at 1:47 for each repeat. I'd wanted to do 6 - 8 but hip was a bit cranky this morning so 4 repeats was fine. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow as a rest day mostly so i can sleep in! 

This evening i'm going to some event called novels and notables which is a local event about books and ties into our local public tv channel. i'm not sure what to expect. I'm going with my mom and i know she was interested in it because of the vip tickets she was able to get which feature free appetizers and wine. :roll::laugh: Should be fun but i am tired.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-06 11:41 AM
Tonight sounds fun! :hug:
Brownies, caramel and whip cream. Drool!

Good workout!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 12:43 PM
Nice intervals! 

Hope your hip isn't getting like mine was.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-09-06 1:05 PM
we've hit our medical deductible for the year in late july. i was honestly considering seeing a sports doc in the area (well known to be good with hip issues) to see if they could see anything about the hip. :meh: no time currently to schedule various appointments and our year for medical resets in october. so yeah, maybe next year. it's never bad but i know it contributes to poor long runs for me and makes me very hesitant to bother with marathons anymore. :meh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-07 7:00 AM
When I started having pain I thought it was hamstring or soleus or some other soft tissue.  It was years before I even saw my doc about it and I never suspected arthritis until he ordered X Rays and I read the report.  Hope this isn't your situation.
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-09-06 11:43 AM
another 20:00 at ~10.5km/h.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-06 3:58 PM
:happy: progress?
:grin::grin:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Squishy Thursday Dailies