Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / WEDNESDAILY Wave
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 7:55 AM
:waving:

I will get it started. Run/workout, blather, our alliteration for the day is wave. Not too complicated.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 8:02 AM
Another steamy one here today. Did the dog walk around the hood this morning and I counted about 5 waves.  Our neighborhood has no sidewalks so we walk in the streets. It's a low traffic area, so it's no big deal, but I wave at any cars that drive by headed in my direction. It's been my thing since last year. I wave at everyone. Some drivers even beat me to the wave now. Today's waves included the trash men who even gave us a honk of the horn and a speeding handyman, plumber or electrician. He was moving sort of fast in his truck, so I gave him a little bit of a slow down look with my wave. He did wave back. Nearly everybody does, and most people even smile.

Running. I will do some of that this evening. I did get in 6 last night on the local trail. Was a bit behind my normal time but held it together and finished in about the same time as normal for me these days. Well, off about 20 seconds but close enough given the sweltering conditions.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:45 AM
WAVING

20 seconds off is not really "off".
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 12:59 PM
Oh yeah, I know 20 seconds is not off but a few more seconds and I would have been over 56 minutes so I was trying to avoid that. Yes I am weird. :blush:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:20 PM
I totally get that!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:18 AM
That’s a nice gesture/habit. I wave to people walking in the morning but never do cars. Is it dark when you run?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:01 PM
I typically don't run on the road or in the dark. Most all my runs are on trails. Sometimes fall has me pushing darkness however. Winter I do some road running but typically don't wave to drivers while running unless they are being nice and give me room. The waving bit is done when we walk the dogs through the neighborhood.
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:17 AM
Super humid today. My fast friend and I tried to do a fartlek before work, but it was like running through soup so we bailed and just ran an easy 9.3. Going to yoga at lunchtime.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:45 AM
:cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:20 AM
Running through soup :cry::cry:

I’ve never been able to do Fartleks. I keep saying I’ll sprint at the next pole, then somehow it becomes the next, and next, and so on. (Super lazy)
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:20 PM
Nice miles!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-05 6:35 PM
:waving: :happy: Hiya XT.

Feeling the wave of heat today I had another 3 shower day: morning, noon and night. Morning shower as usual, noon shower as usual after 5 miles along the river in the tropics and an evening shower after mowing and trimming in the super tropics. So I'm super clean again! :grin:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:03 AM
I missed the waves this year. DH and I typically take at least 1 day trip down the shore each summer, but we never got around to it this year. Maybe we can do it this fall when it's less crowded.

Last night I did a short strength workout and some yoga. I have a feeling I'm going to be super sore later today because I haven't done strength training in a very very long time.

5 hot and humid miles this morning on the usual 5 mile route. I saw a large potato in the gutter at one point, and I got stopped by a commuter train for like 5 minutes at another point. :roll: The engineer was having a conversation with someone on the ground who wasn't even getting on the train. I could have gone around the barriers, but I am not a rule breaker, so I just seethed and waited. :meh:

Blather: super bad insomnia for the past 3 nights. Ugh. I should be grateful that it's only been occasional lately and not chronic like it used to be, but my 3am self doesn't like to hear that. <yawn>
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:40 AM
my quads are super sore from lifting yesterday - stupid leg press!

:laugh: random potato
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:21 PM
As soon as I saw the potato I couldn't wait to tell you guys here! :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:46 AM
potato?:wtf:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:21 AM
Ugh on the conductor! I get stopped in traffic once/month by people stopping in the street to have their private conversation. :roll: but never have I had it for a train! Annoying.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-05 11:58 AM
Smart move not crossing the train tracks. You never know if there will be a train coming the other way. I nearly got mowed down by a trolley in Boston doing exactly that.

You’ve picked up the NJ phrase if saying “down the shore” (instead of “down to the shore” or something else grammatically correct).:laugh:

Sorry about the insomnia. I hope tonight is better.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:25 PM
I usually say "go to the beach" but no one knows what that means here :roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:03 PM
Random potato daily!

Sorry about the sleep problems. :sad:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:11 AM
0. It was raining pretty hard when I got up so I skipped today.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:37 AM
we keep getting threatened with rain, but it hasn't come to fruition yet. I would have appreciated some sprinkles this morning, it was disgusting here.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:47 AM
Sometimes, rain is a good excuse to stay in bed.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:22 AM
Sounds lovely. I love listening to rain in bed
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:04 PM
How was the skipping? Sounds like a good workout.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:25 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-09-06 8:23 AM
POTW:laugh::laugh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-05 8:20 AM
13km with Molly:hug:

My update is kind of shitty but I'll do alliteration when I can.  I had a really cool magical metal sign with a big grizzly bear/salmon my street # and last name on stolen yesterday.
My cousin's husband made it for me (they live in terrific Texas!)  Anyway I'm in a very rural setting so I am guessing a tourist took it as a souvenir.  My driveway is about 50 metres
to the road and the road is not busy so it would have been an easy stupid stealing.  But I loved my sign so it's a bit of a bitchin' bummer.....it was a real work of art.....about a metre long
and 2/3 metre high.....hanging on heavy hooks in a crazy cool wood frame.  A little ladder would have likely been needed but maybe not necessarily.  Anyhoo.....bigger problems in the
world!  :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:31 AM
well that stinks! sometimes people suck so bad. :mutmad:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-05 8:40 AM
Dang, that's really the pits. :mutmad:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:42 AM
That is shitty. You could give whoever did that a one finger wave. :wink:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:48 AM
UGH!  I hate people!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:22 AM
:mutmad::mutmad: I’m pissed off for you
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:05 PM
Asshats. :cry: :mutmad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:26 PM
:mutmad::mutmad:
:hug:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:36 AM
3 miles with benji this morning. we got a very late start, so washing my hair is going to have to wait until tomorrow. :blush:
we saw 3 runners, 2 walkers and 2 dogs - no one waved :roll:

last night took Molly for a quick 1 mile walk and made some serious progress on my puzzle this is the one I'm doing

if it's not raining tonight, mrbarney and I will go down to the courts and get some tennis practice in.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-05 8:40 AM
I'm thinking about starting Brett in tennis. There is a small part of me that wouldn't mind playing some too. All my friends are doing it. :blush:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:49 AM
Today was NOT a hair wash day for me.  I love being able to skip a day.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:24 AM
Love the puzzle! I used to do them from time to time, but the last one I had to give up because my eye sight sucks and I can do longer differentiate between different subtle shades of colors. :cry: I was horrified and depressed. I used to love them
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:06 PM
What's up with the lack of waves. I always acknowledge people on the trail/paths.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-09-05 8:40 AM
Hi!

I walked Olive this a.m. and waved at several people. :grin:
The city has been switching our gas lines all summer and they're here today to officially move ours and be done. T is here so he just freed me to go to 10:30 yoga. :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:42 AM
I think we're on tap for getting our main lines replaced too per the Atmos master plan - that should be super fun :roll:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:50 AM
I just looked at a deal where the company's business was primarily moving gas lines in Texas.  Lots of work these days!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:25 AM
We’ve been doing a phase/year for the past 20 years. But our gas contractors suck and leave the street looking like it was bombed. :roll: our paving program can’t cover their mess and keep up with everything else
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:41 AM
9 miles before work.

The plan was to meet one of the guys at the Y and meet the other one about 2.5 miles into the run at one of the places where we stop for water. I waited about 10 minutes and the first guy didn’t show so I headed off to meet the other guy. We did 4 mikes together then I headed back to the Y. I had planned on 10 miles but was concerned that I lost a lot of time waiting at the beginning so just did 9.

We waved at the group of ladies we see almost every time we run this route. They mostly walk but one or two will throw in a bit of running now and then.

Squirrels got into the attic so we had to have a wildlife guy come out to see what it is going to take to get them out & keep them out. He also found a bunch of mice up there which was more of a surprise so they will take care of them at the same time.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-09-05 8:43 AM
did you ever hear from guy #1? 9 miles is a great start to the morning :happy:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-05 9:57 AM
Yes, stomach bug kept him up last night. It was weird that guy #2 responded to the text before I saw it. I got it about an hour later. :wtf:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:55 AM
Most of my skinny blondes live in different neighborhoods.  It is amazing to me how over the past 6-7 years, we have probably missed meet-ups only a handful of times.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:27 AM
We had a problem with squirrels. Once DH left and saw one swinging on the curtain in the attic window :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-05 2:39 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:07 PM
Sorry about the pests. Odd, because your house is pretty new.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:21 PM
The squirrels got in because a flood light was never installed. They worked away at the hole in the soffit until it was big enough. He said the mice got in through gaps in the AC units / piping which was interesting.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-09-05 8:44 AM
Hi XT!

Will walk 4 or 5 after work. I aggravated my butt washing the siding on my house. So trying to get things to settle down. Again. I usually wave or head nod when i run where people are..sometimes driving too. it's a thing around here.. Pretty hot today. Turned on the AC last night. Want to see the waves..
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:56 AM
That is an interesting way to aggravate your butt!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:28 AM
So annoying when niggles get aggravated by normal life activities. :meh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:08 PM
Hi CJ.  :waving back:

Sorry about the soreness. It's brutal hot for September.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-05 9:19 AM
I taught spin class this morning.  Skipped the other usual stuff after class as I had a doc appt. at 9am...just an annual visit with my GP. Had a pneumococcal vaccine while there : pbbt:  and left with the usual paperwork for blood work...will take care of that tomorrow am.  See ya next year.

I waved at the driver who let me merge into the right lane before I exited the highway. When I do this, I make sure all five fingers in my wave are visible.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:56 AM
Thanks for reminding me to start nagging my kids to get their flu shot!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-06 5:17 AM
The gym I work at is owned by a hospital system which requires every employee (gym, hospital, etc.) to get a flu shot every year.  I get it from them so I don't have to provide them paper work from my doc to prove I had it.  Had the shingles shot & Tdap booster last year so I'm good on those, especially the latter with a grandkid coming in <4 months.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:30 AM
Lol on the five finger wave. That is important.

DH and I are childish and give each other the finger constantly for no reason. I'm just waiting for one of us to do it to the other in the car and someone else think it's for them :blush:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:09 PM
Ha. I wave at people when I eff up in parking lots and stuff and I always worry they might think I'm flipping them off. I wish there was a signal for "sorry, I fucked up".
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 9:30 AM
I was wildly waving my arms and legs like a wild woman in true WTF fashion this morning.  Today was a “Pilates” class using a resistance band w/handles.  First time I’ve ever used those and it was… interesting?  I think the gym’s bands are shorter than theirs,  because I couldn’t even stretch the stupid things to the resting position on the hands/knees exercises.  I did a weird one armed modification.  But whatever…  Before that I was going to walk then 60 min of easy/ier (it’s never easy!) stairmonster.  But, both were taken when I wanted it. :mutmad:  So I ran for 15 min outside in the muck and then got on for the remaining 45 min.

DH just made me happy.  He suggested we go to DC for Thanksgiving.  I am not a fan of traditional thanksgivings.  Traveling with my little group, OTOH, is my absolute favorite thing in the world to do.  It’s been ages since we’ve been there… (I used to live in Northern VA, so we’ve been plenty of times, just not in the last 5ish years)
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 10:57 AM
Sounds like a fun Thanksgiving plan!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:11 PM
That sounds like a fun Thanksgiving.

The descriptions of your workout cracks me up. I visualize myself looking like a clutz these days when running a steep short downhill. Sort of flailing about trying not to hurt myself. It must look awful.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 11:04 AM
I was glad it was only 78* and humid this morning as 78 is less than 80.....it felt not as crappy today?  8 miles at a peppier pace <-<-<-alliteration> than I usually run in the morning.  Will go to boxing class tonight.

One of the first things I noticed when I moved from Detroit to Dallas 10 years ago, was how EVERYONE says hello/nods their head/waves when you run or walk past them.  Occasionally, men tip their hats which I LOVE!  Detroiters are not friendly and never greet people. Ever. :laugh:  While the Texans will never allow me to call myself a Texan, I have adopted their practice of greeting people.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-05 11:31 AM
People do the wave thing here too. I'm always surprised when I go elsewhere and this is not the case!
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-05 12:48 PM
I still think you’re nuts for voluntarily moving to Texas, but...the friendly wave/nod thing is pretty cool, especially when compared with how rude (New Yorkers) and/or cold (New Englanders) people can be in the Northeast.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:06 PM
Well, I hate snow, ice, and temperatures lower than 35* so Dallas beats the shit out of Detroit.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-09-05 1:12 PM
The farmers in Oklahoma near my wife's family would wave as they drove towards you on the highways. At least the older ones.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-05 11:55 AM
run was 6.6 or so miles. PT, which was actually kind of hard. I will be sore.

blather-my last day at my current job is friday and I am slammed. I wish I took some time off just to get shit done, kicking myself. Oh well.
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-05 12:45 PM
Good luck with this week. Are you starting something new on Monday? Nice run!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:53 PM
New job on monday at a new company!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:08 PM
Ending a job responsibly and on a good note is super stressful.  Yes, you should have taken at least a few days off!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:52 PM
yeah, I am taking off some days the end of next week for Reach the Beach.New job wanted me to start this Monday--they are super eager.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-09-05 12:02 PM
There were waves when I went to visit my in-laws last weekend. I wanted to get out and paddle in the waves, but time went by too quickly and then I went home. Mostly I needed a social visit with them to help everyone adjust to all the ongoing changes, so it was where I wanted to spend my time.

3 miles this morning - my longest since PF flared up several months ago! All trails, felt good.

Middle kid had hernia repair surgery today. All signs are good. I haven’t been able to see him yet but soon.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:07 PM
:hug: to the boy!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-09-05 1:52 PM
hope he is ok!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / WEDNESDAILY Wave