Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Stretchy Sunday Dailies
- By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-02 6:18 AM
Do you stretch? How much/when/whatever you want to say about the topic. Do you think it helps?

And post whatever other stuff you did or want to do or whatever
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-02 6:26 AM
Today is technically a rest day, but I'm going to a yoga class in a bit. New instructor for me. I was a regular at the Saturday morning session until I hurt my knee - doing yoga, though not at the studio. And I've been a bit chicken ever since. I now struggle with stupid basic poses (child's pose! :cry: used to be a fav) on my left side and am less self conscious about working on it at home. And now I like my gym workout on Saturdays and the other yoga classes are harder to get to. But I miss the studio and still have several passes I need to use.

I never stretched much/at all until roughly age 40.  I wonder if I had, what Id be like today. I have so many body parts that are so immobile, I don't even know they are tight. My body has compensated over the years. And stretching is tricky because my body will cheat/compensate, and I don't even realize it. Blah. But I diligently work at it every morning and night and randomly throughout the day. I do this it helps and even if I don't improve, hopefully I won't get worse.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-09-02 10:04 AM
Re: your comment about wondering what it would be like if you'd started stretching/yoga at a younger age: my daughter has recently been dealing with really tight muscles and has been learning about stretching as a result.  She had been complaining for months about sore calves and shins after she did any type of exercise and finally I took her to physio and to ART to start dealing with it. 

Both the physio and the ART guy commented on a) how strong she is (competitive x-c skier) and b) how inflexible she is.  She's now on a regime of stretching and foam-rollering.  I'm glad to see her learning the benefits of stretching at a young age - I'm sure she'll quit doing it as soon as her calves stop hurting, but at least this will help reinforce the idea that there's a therapeutic aspect to it. 

I've tried to get her to come to yoga with me, but she did a yoga class once at school and didn't like it so she's given up on it for life.  :roll:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-09-02 10:40 AM
Your DD sounds like a younger version of me. Most PTs are like"wow! You're strong!" And then their eyes bug out when I do their test movements. "Umm.  Thats a problem." (Repeat about a dozen times.) All the calf stretching in the world, and they can't even get to neutral position. I have 2 blocks of wood for feet and ankles. And my hips are worse. Just a fused mess. And now one side is way worse than the other, so it make repetitive stuff even more problematic.

And it also causes weird crap. Like a few months ago, when I tried to get back to getting my legs equal... If I stretch my quad/hip flexor, it felt great and normal while doing it. Release the stretch and it felt like someone stabbed my calf at my knee with a knife - and my hamstring would seize up. And hurt for 3 days. :meh: All from a stupid, common, everyone does all the time, quad stretch??? WTH? My latest group of PTs were mystified with that one. But slowly working on the quad/hip, it seems to be easing.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:11 AM
I don't know. I think running makes you stronger fitter younger and way better, but it makes you not very flexible. And WORSE, it doesn't leave you time to go to yoga classes much. :wink:

I know back in the 80s people did 100 mile weeks and made time to stretch, but I barely have time to run and shower. :roll:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-02 9:17 AM
I'm bad for stretching but I do some yoga and I will stretch a little after a run (usually in the shower....quads and hamstrings)  When I did other stuff like soccer I always stretched because
my quads and hamstrings were always tight.  I should stretch more because it is good for me...I'm better than I was but not very good.  It definitely helps especially as I get older.

14km in the pouring rain.  Like an idiot we (Molly was there too) stayed to the road and the few vehicles we saw gave us a good spray. :hug:

Okay my attempt to talk with Americans.....wow that college football day was crazy wasn't it?   Penn State?  WTF?   I didn't expect them to have such a tough time.

:hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-09-02 10:00 AM
Living in the rainforest has its downside!  :laugh:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-02 10:15 AM
Ironically if I just ran in the rainforest it would have been great....and Molly would have been off leash.  :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:07 AM
You are ahead of most of us on the stretching.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-09-02 10:15 AM
That's a bit of a stretch... BOOM:laugh::hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:20 AM
:roll::laugh:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-02 9:21 AM
I used to stretch more when I ran.  Now I barely do any more than the few minutes at the end of spin class.

Swam 1600 meters in the pool this morning.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-02 10:01 AM
Nice swim!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:06 AM
Yes, but did you stretch? Just kidding. Good job on the swim!:cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:12 AM
I did a "cool down" 100 meters at the end of my workout and then stretched for about 30 seconds :roll: before I got out of the pool.
- - By skigirl Date 2018-09-02 10:00 AM
I have a really hard time motivating myself to stretch adequately on my own, even though I know that chronic calf tightness is at the root of pretty much all of my running/skiing/hiking issues.  Two summers ago when I was really struggling with PF I started going to yoga at a studio a few blocks from our house, and that was fantastic: the style of this particular studio meshes really well with what I like, and it seemed to help with the PF.

I've continued going to yoga as much as I can - it's pretty hit-and-miss given that we're often away on the weekends for whatever reason, and it's hard to fit in a class during the week.  However, even going once or twice a month seems to help me.  In fact, I'll be going to a class there in a couple of hours! 

Ran last night, and again this morning.  20 minutes last night, and 30 minutes this morning.  Running feels so easy right now - getting rid of the orthotics seems to have given me more bounce and makes the whole thing just feel like less work.  :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:05 AM
Usually improvement involves spending money. You've found a way to improve your running and are probably saving money. :laugh:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 10:04 AM
Stretching after a run is good. Dynamic stretching is good before a run. Usually I forget to do both.:blush:

9 really good miles. Of course I was completely spent and wiped out after. I am glad I pushed a little. It gives me renewed confidence after yesterday's slog, but now I am feeling less that thrilled about the day of decluttering I had planned. :laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-09-02 10:05 AM
Enjoy the decluttering!  It can be fun to see the stuff you're getting rid of pile up.  :happy:
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-09-02 11:54 AM
: pbbt: Not running related but I can stretch the stretchy part a bit. I just finished patching my first car tire and am waiting for the cement to dry.

Did you know?: It's the flexing of a tire that converts the shock of driving into heat, that is absorbed by the tire. This is why underinflated tires are prone to overheating, because they flex more than they are supposed too. :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 7:13 PM
I hope your tire repair works out.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-09-02 1:52 PM
Humidity (and mosquitos) are back. 12.2 miles around Lake Monona for me today.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-09-02 3:27 PM
Dang mosquitos! I ran into some underbrush for a quick pee during my run today. I was attacked by a horde of the largest mosquitos I've ever seen. I will admit that if sweat attracts them... I was a sweaty mess.
I ran 19.2.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 7:13 PM
Mosquitos love runners.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-09-02 7:33 PM
Mosquitos have been savage this year.  :meh:
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-09-02 5:13 PM
5 miles early at 85 % RH :roll: I hate this humidity; really saps (no pun ) my energy  . Cant’t wait for frost and snow time. Later DW and I went to the lake to enjoy the breezes  while kayaking and swimming .:grin:
I usually do about 15 min of  bobyoga every morning, followed by stretching , sit-ups and pushups.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-02 7:14 PM
I hate the winter, but I think cool weather results in better running. If only we could have 40s for running and 80s the rest of the day.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-09-02 7:17 PM
:cool:
- - By SRoo Date 2018-09-02 7:38 PM
33.3 miles on the bicycle.  I was kinda proud of myself because I picked a particular road specifically because it was hilly.  Short, steep little buggers.

Stretching?  Occasionally, if something hurts.  I've never found it to be very helpful, but when n = 1 it is hard to know.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-02 9:04 PM
:cool:
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-09-02 9:03 PM
I'll post instead of reply since this is a standalone topic. :wink: Yeah I do stretch, every morning along with my core and back stuff, and I stretch before any speed workout after warming up. And I'll stretch at random times through the day too, such as calf stretches in stairwells. Some peeps say stretching is bad for you, but i believe in it.

Ran 5 miles today with the hound. No stretching except for the morning stuff.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-09-03 6:05 AM
Stretch away!  You are obviously committed.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Stretchy Sunday Dailies