Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Flying Friday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 9:07 AM
Fvck the heat.  Let’s talk about something more fun on Friday.  Somehow work flying into your day.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-31 11:50 AM
I had a fasting blood draw this morning so I could not have a late evening beer while watching the Browns play their last pre-season game last night. Then watched a bit of hard knocks since they are the featured team this year. Interesting, one of the players they featured on the show as on the bubble to make the team had a pick 6 last night. He was a defensive lineman and took it to the house, 50 yards or so.

As for flying, I had an appointment at 7:30 for my blood draw, and when I arrived at 7:25 I realized my caffeine and calorie depraved brain had forgotten the order slip from my doctor. So I flew back home, had good luck with the stop lights and was back in 10 minutes. The place was packed but they had not called my appointment time yet so I got in and out right away. Sweet. Several fasting angry people there. I learned my lesson years ago. Always make an appointment.

No heat here today. 72 and raining and I went out at lunch and ran some loops up on the local trail in light but steady rain. About 6 miles, sort of regular pace. Felt good.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:51 PM
Phew!  Glad your appointment didn't get messed up by forgetting the slip.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 1:48 PM
watch out for those angry fasting people. :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 2:22 PM
I can picture a room full of angry hungry people. glad you could make it but unscathed! :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 2:52 PM
hangry people! :laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-31 3:43 PM
:laugh: May I suggest that you were a bit of an angry fasting caffeine-deprived peep yourself this morning? :wink: But your day seems to have turned out quite well. :cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-31 3:54 PM
Like XT said, no heat in PA today. At lunchtime it was just cloudy instead of raining like it was for XT to the east of me, and temps were 78F and there was a very nice breeze. Five point five very comfortable miles and it felt like flying instead of slogging for a change. :grin:

Not fun, but it's pouring here now and many roads and other places around here are flash flooding. :cry: One part of Lancaster County had 10.5 inches of rain over a couple hours this afternoon and it's still raining! :shocker!::cry:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 9:17 AM
I’m definitely FLYING high.  It’s Friday and Pay Day!  And I actually have $$$ left over after paying bills :grin: And our Accident Insurance paid us $800 for Jacob’s med mess.  I wasn’t confident they’d consider it an accident, but they did!

I was not really FLYING on my workout.  Hard TM run.  I tried, but it wasn’t the greatest and something has tightened back up in my leg (or back or whatever), so it’s all off again.  Poops.  More rolling & stretching at lunch.  But, the offending muscle is never the one that hurts or feels tight, making the process trickier.  I’ve got a list of suspects to attack however.  Did manage 10 total miles with 7 at 6:45-6:50 pace.   Then my last weight workout in the cycle – Arms.  I almost quit early – who would know?  But I didn’t.  A win there.  Tomorrow is just cardio/abs.  Easy peasy.  

I’m not FLYING anywhere this weekend.  Wish I was, but we are moving Steven back to school tomorrow.  Not really sad at all this time around.  I might be sad if I have to move crap up 3 flights of stairs in a thunderstorm though… : pbbt:  But I am now the smallest and weakest in the family.  I shouldn’t have to do much, right?  RIGHT?  :laugh:

Best self-bday present ever?  When I turned 40, I bought myself an introductory FLYING lesson.  For $100, I got 2 hours to go over the plane/safety checks, then I got to take-off (I’m sure with help), fly around, let the instructor fly around and show what happens if the engine cuts off, and then I got to land (again, I’m sure with a lot of help!)  It was AMAZING!  I had the giddy adrenaline rush all day.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-31 9:19 AM
Nice run!!!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 10:05 AM
Nice run!

How cool about flying a plane! :cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-31 12:19 PM
The bills are paid and you have it made in the shade.

That running pace looks like flying to me. I don't really time my pace, but I don't recall any sub7 minute miles in ages. If I tried that on the TM, I'd get hurt! So well done to you.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:51 PM
Wow, what a cool story!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 1:45 PM
what a great b-day present!  :cool:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 1:58 PM
that is a great present to yourself, and an amazing deal for $100
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-31 3:59 PM
You deserve that flying high!!! :cool:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-09-01 6:33 AM
It's reading about a pace like yours that tells me I chose my name correctly.
Well done.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-31 9:24 AM
Half mile run to the gym for circuit training and 1.5 mile run home afterwards.  I was super tired for that meager mileage and circuit training as we had people stop over last evening for wine and they didn't leave until 10:00. :meh: Not the end of the world, but since I had been up since 4:30 and had run 10 miles before work, I really wanted to be in bed by 9:00.  Oh well!

I hope to FLY the coop (the office coop) after my client lunch.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 10:06 AM
That's a late night for a school night!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:50 PM
Aren't you doing two long runs and a race this coming weekend?  And you rain 10 miles yesterday?  And yet you did circuit training today?  :shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 2:52 PM
blazer is a machine :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-31 3:00 PM
I run slow, so don't be impressed by the distance of my runs. Most of of girl-time with friends is when i run, so it is a huge social outlet for me. I also have nothing better to do!:laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 1:57 PM
hope you got to bail on work!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 2:24 PM
I would not be pleased if company came and stayed until 10 on a week night! :meh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-31 9:41 AM
Cool day here....my 9-10 hour drive home turned into over 12 due to detouring a mudslide.  Milo had a good vet visit so we get another winter (fingers crossed) together.

9km with Molly.....we have a lot of shit to do today:hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 10:06 AM
Milo and Molly :hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-31 2:03 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-31 12:20 PM
How old is Milo? Glad to hear things checked out. SirB is 14.5 years old now. :hug:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-31 2:07 PM
Milo (or Miles to his closest friends) will be 13.5 on Sept 18th.  He was in a fight years ago and had a bad back injury.  I was told then his life span will be shortened due to arthritis and
issues from the injury.  He has easily outlived all my other labs...none of them became teenagers.  He is on anti-inflammatories and a pain killer but he is just a lovable old guy happy to
patrol my yard and eat like he's never seen food before. 

Great to read SirB cracked the 14 barrier!  :hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-31 4:12 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:47 PM
Yay for Milo!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-31 2:03 PM
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 2:24 PM
:hug: milo
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-31 4:08 PM
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 10:03 AM
My last flight was to Boston for work. I wanted to take the train, but my coworker wanted to fly, and it was the same price, so that's what we did. On the way back we had a 3 hour flight delay, due to weather. My coworker actually said, "well they delay trains for weather too." :wtf: If we had taken the train I would have been home around 9pm but I got home around 1am and had to be at work the next day. :cry:

I ran 5.1 easy miles this morning. It felt way better than anticipated after yesterday's run. Long run tomorrow (16-18 miles), rest day Sunday, and local 5k Monday.

We got an all-staff email yesterday that said we can leave the office at 3 if all of our client work is done for the weekend. My lazy coworker isn't on the all-staff email list. I almost don't want to tell her that we are allowed to leave early. I am a terrible human being!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-31 12:21 PM
Don't tell her!!   :evil: :laugh:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:47 PM
Trains sometimes get delayed because there are leaves on the tracks. :laugh:  You never know!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 2:53 PM
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 1:44 PM
is it supposed to be so hot for the long run and 5k? i hope it's not so hot!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 2:54 PM
upper 60s/low 70s for the long run and prob lower-mid 70s for the 5k :cool:
when you can take the train instead of a plane I would ALWAYS take the train.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 2:25 PM
We have one train that comes through. It heads north at 4:45am. It can come anywhere between 4:30am and 2pm... But I know service up there is just a *little* bit better.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-31 10:09 AM
5 miles on trails this morning.

It was a little less humid today so I extended the short 4.5 mile loop by a little extra to bump up to an even 5 miles. It routed me out to the switchback hill that is one of the two major hills on the full outside loop around the forest. I wasn’t exactly flying today, but it was a decent run.

The year is flying by so quickly! It’s hard to believe that it will be September tomorrow!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 11:31 AM
ear is flying by so quickly! It’s hard to believe that it will be September tomorrow!
:cry: On the local news this morning, the anchor lady said, "we are celebrating the end of summer," and I yelled at the tv, "NO WE ARE NOT!" :mutmad::laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:44 PM
Nice work on the five miles!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 1:41 PM
august was a blur!  :cry:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 1:44 PM
Thank God August is almost done! September isn't usually much better for me, but it's better than August!
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-08-31 11:06 AM
A week from today I’ll be flying to Toronto to see my girlfriend for the weekend. So I got that going for me, which is nice. Her across the street neighbors are getting married. They’re a bit older than me but they’re both widowed, so all 4 of us have a bit of a special bond with each other.:cool: I’m going to try to smuggle in some whiskey that they can’t find in Canada as a wedding gift.

I ran 1.5 trail miles this morning. I definitely was not flying as I’m a bit out of shape. PF hurts a bit, but no more than usual. I’ll keep stretching and massaging it. I’ve been sleeping with the boot on every night, and that seems to be helping.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 11:31 AM
Glad the PF is starting to get better!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:43 PM
Nice to hear you're making progress with the PF - it can be such a bear to get rid of.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 1:43 PM
Sounds like a great trip. Good luck smuggling the whiskey. :happy:

PF blows!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-31 11:20 AM
I went to the gym and did core, hip & shoulder exercises and then swam 1600 meters.  I'm never a fast swimmer but was definitely NOT flying across the water today!  I believe the residual effects of teaching back-to-back spin classes last night contributed to my struggle swim this morning :meh: 

It' still humid but cooler here & has been threatening to rain all day with only a couple of drops...WTF?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 11:32 AM
It's raining here in north Jersey
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 12:42 PM

> I believe the residual effects of teaching back-to-back spin classes last night contributed to my struggle swim this morning.

Quite possible!  :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 1:42 PM
Ya think? : pbbt: at least you have a reason. Mines usually just "I suck." :blush:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 11:56 AM
I'm flying to the UK for a conference the week after next and starting to get slightly wired about that - I do three or four international trips a year and I always have mixed feelings about them: on the one hand obviously it's great to have the opportunity to travel and learn and work with great people, but on the other hand the travel itself is tiring and disruptive on the home front, and those impacts seem to be hitting me harder the older I get. 

I went to my Pilates class last night - this was my first class at a new studio so I went in prepared to hate it and never go back but it was actually quite good.  The teacher was skilled at explaining stuff and very attentive to making corrections. 

Went for ART this morning on my calves and feet, which was helpful.  I'll skip running today and try to go for a long run tomorrow.  :happy:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 1:39 PM
hope the long run goes well. I so need to roll out my calves. super tight and i keep forgetting. :roll:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 1:41 PM
Im glad the class was good. I am super picky about yoga, and I'm sure Pilates is similar.

Traveling so close to then beginning of the school year is probably a PITA as well
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 2:48 PM
Ha, trust the teacher's wife to pick that up!  Yup, the timing doesn't help - it gets me all out of kilter with the school-year family routine and leaves DH and DD on their own while they're adjusting to being back at school.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 2:55 PM
Yeah. That's yet another reason why I hate August. Going back to school happens then too. And historically, the fall season of activities is/was the worst logistic wise. At least that part is easier now. But still... Everything is out of sorts. Throwing international travel on top? Definitely PITA
I a thinking about starting pilates...could be good.

love the UK, but work travel is never so fun.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-31 2:55 PM
Nice job on the pilates and good luck on the long run!
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 1:18 PM
the last flight i took was from portland. it's a short flight. It was just 30 minutes and the beverage service was on fast forward. Wine was free though so I was very happy. :grin:

I biked 25 minutes on the roller training and then did 30 minutes strength training. I hadn't been on the roller trainer for a while since the ankle had limited twisting motions to get in and out of pedals but it was fine. :happy:

the office closes early today and i cannot wait for a 3 day weekend!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 1:39 PM
So jealous! These final hours are taking FOREVER! Enjoy your weekend :happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 1:56 PM
ugh. I might just decide my office closes at 3. Ha!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 2:50 PM
Free wine in a 30-minute flight?  :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 3:24 PM
right. i had to take some of course. slam it down!  :grin::laugh::blush:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-31 1:42 PM
I booked our trip to Pittsburgh! Well, not the flying part yet but I'll do that with points when SW opens their schedule. :grin:

I went to cyclebar then met friends for lunch. It's a group of school moms and we are going to a new country each month. Today was Thailand. :hug: It was delicious!

Have a great weekend! Heading out west today to see my folks!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 1:55 PM
oh, that sounds like such a fun lunch!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 2:50 PM
Nice idea!  Do you live in an area with a lot of diversity in restaurants?  (I'm still fuzzy on where a lot of the posters here live.)
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-31 8:11 PM
I am in Fort Worth, TX and we actually do have some pretty diverse areas and eating spots. We drove a little bit out of our bubble today but not too far!

Indian is next. Then Salvadoran. Not sure what’s after that!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 3:25 PM
great idea for lunch! and yes, i could see this being easier in some places than others.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-31 8:12 PM
:happy: very true!
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 1:55 PM
It is still hot though...

6 miles today. Tried some new Superfeet insoles. It felt weird, but I think it will be ok

I have always had a job that requires some amount of flying. When I was younger (early 20s) I loved it. I have loved it less every year. I do not travel as much as I used to, but it is still annoying. I do not take any extra time, which often means crazy red eyes and long days.

It is still kind of fun to travel for pleasure--we do not do any driving vacations, so we fly anytime we go away. N is a great traveler, and loves to fly so that makes it fun. Next personal flight is in a couple of weeks to RTB, work flight is a few weeks later for work.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-08-31 2:52 PM

> I have loved it less every year.

Totally with you.  Also hear you about not taking any extra time.  People always say, "You go all that way and you don't take extra time?"  But I don't always want to use up vacation time when I'm not with my family.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 3:23 PM
exactly. And when I am away I throw my family schedule into a bit of chaos.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-31 3:00 PM
You'd be such an anomaly here. You'd be surprised how many people haven't been on a plane. Or traveled to 5 states - and we live on a state line and are relatively close to 3 others... And many women won't even drive more than an hour to a new place without needing someone along. :roll: this is one reason I love traveling solo from time to time. Because I can!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-31 3:20 PM
we have this conversation a lot. I know I have mentioned that my kid goes to an economically diverse school-we were talking about what she did over the summer and she went to 4 different states (PA, NY, CA, ME). All separate flights. That is excessive. we had a long conversation about the fact that many kids have never been on a plane.

when my parents got divorced I vividly remember being in the car the first time my mom drove on a bridge and how nervous she was-she was in her 30s-and I was thinking I never want to feel like that as a grown up. It made a huge impression on me.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-08-31 3:27 PM
will this new job have more or less travel?

i prefer to travel for pleasure via flying or train. I find driving tedious now and it always bugs my hip/back. :meh:

hope the superfeet work for you. i do an otc orthotic too but find those are too hard with that plastic bit.
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-09-01 7:37 AM
While on Mt Baden-Powell the night before, I discovered that while looking at the star Antares, I could see four planets all in the same field of view! Closest, on each side is Jupiter and Saturn; our two largest planets. On the periphery, are Mars and Venus, out two closest neighbors. And they can all be seen before the end of twilight... before any other stars appear!:hug:

I made the hike up(thurs.) in just over 2 hours with only one pack drop for a snack. It's a 4 mile hike from 6,500' to 9,400'. The descent only took 1:20:00, non-stop. :happy:

I should have been studying fuel systems(aircraft). I took my Kindle but never opened it. :meh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-09-02 8:17 AM
Tour hike sounds amazing :cool:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Flying Friday Dailies