Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday 8/28
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-28 6:13 AM
Not much to say today, but I thought I'd kick things off.

Looks like another day in the 90's here. The condo pool party tonight will be moved indoors to the clubhouse so we don't all faint in the heat.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-28 6:37 AM
Went to the gym for some weights and ARC trainer time.

Life as a hypochondriac:

There were 2 numbers on my blood work outside the desired range:
MCV 94.6 (range is 80.0 - 94.0)  mean corpuscular volume
MCH 33.5 (range is 27.0 - 31.0) mean corpuscular hemoglobin

Doctor didn't seem to care because I am feeling ok.  But I of course looked them up on-line when I got home and saw that it could be anemia due to low levels of B12 and folic acid.  So, could this be why I can't seem to make it through a run without getting more tired than I used to?  I wish I would have thought of that while I was at the doctor so I could ask him.

So, now I am looking for all the foods they say on-line increase B12 & folic acid levels either directly or by increasing the absorption of them. :roll: I even made sure my cereal was fortified with them because one website said that. :roll:

(Or my running fatigue could just be that I am almost 60 and it is hot and humid every day....)
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-08-28 7:50 AM
Dave, I take a B12 supplement at the recommendation of my neurologist.   Does it help?  I think so, but it's always hard to tell.  I get min at the local natural foods market.  Mine is "Now" brand.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 8:58 AM
I can relate to your hypochondria. I've been extremely fatigued (as in-walk to the mailbox and think I'm gonna pass out) off and on for the past week. Yesterday I was convinced that the pancreatic cyst that my last CT scan showed has turned into cancer and I'm on my way out:sad::roll: Yep, those websites can scare the crap out of you. Today I'm thinking it's side effects from my meds, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Also, could be the fact that I'm just freakin' old.:roll: I'm also looking into B12.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:32 AM
I use to scrutinize my lab results when I was going through chemo. I drove the worker bees crazy. I would get the "well you are unusually fit we don't deal with people like that" Oh ok... I give up on the health care system.

I take B-12 because I eat a plant based, I hate the word vegan diet. I can tell the days I forget to take it though. I use a spray.

It is wicked hot here. I am melting.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-28 11:10 AM
What's your favorite plant-based meal?   I'm cutting back on protein and looking for ideas.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:19 PM
cutting back on animal protein? Veggies are loaded with protein. Hmm that is tough. I am always eating different meals. My favorite lately would probably be a veggie wrap--hummus, avocado rice, veggies--doesn't heat up the kitchen. I love no-tuna salad too. Rice, black beans sweet potatoes and kale. I could go on forever...
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:31 PM
Yes, animal protein but I'm having a hard time keeping total protein where my doc wants it.

sorry, but hummus is of the devil.  yuk.   I've found some veggie burgers called Quinoa Crunch though that have been really good.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:18 PM
Ha-Ha.....Alex told me yesterday that it was "wicked hot" in MA! She's only been there a few weeks!!:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:21 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. Of course you really have to hear them say it. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Chris says I'm pretty good at imitating them.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 1:29 PM
When we moved to CT from Georgia, I got all sorts of harassment over my southern accent. I have never been offended because YES, I have an accent! Right after we moved up there, our son who was playing football for Fitchburg State in MA at the time, played a game in Boston. I was vaguely listening to the cheerleaders and trying to figure out why they kept saying "bull".....Yeah, they were saying BALL!! LOL! I was told by one of my son's coach who was from Boston that Bostonians do NOT have an accent??!! I thought at first he was joking....:roll::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 1:32 PM
I tease my co-worker all the time about his accent (he has a Boston accent and at times it is HEAVY). He says he doesn't have an accent, but I do...ooooookay. People say I have an accent but they can never figure out where it comes from. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 8:53 AM
Good morning, Dave, Tom and anyone else who might show up today! I haven't been doing any running, and very little walking over the past week...so not much to report there:meh: Hot here also. No surprise there though, since this IS Georgia.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-28 9:29 AM
How's Alex?
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:03 AM
Alex LOVES teaching! She teaches 6 classes each day. 2 French 1, 2 French 2, and 2 French 3 classes. She is the only French teacher for 2 high schools, so she's VERY busy! She was able to get a car loan and bought a cheap (ish) car so that she can get to and from the schools. She spent $250 in one week on Lyft rides when she first started work. The car makes it SOOO much easier on her! Now she just needs to get together enough money to move into a room or apartment. She also had the extra challenge of teaching with a sinus infection and cold last week, but she's feeling much better today! Thank you for asking about her!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:23 AM
Wow!!  I'm so glad it has worked out.

Both my girls took French in high school.   Last year though they phased it out.   The teacher went on maternity leave and they didn't replace her.   Now if you want French it is an on-line class.:sad:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:54 AM
I've heard that several of the high schools in our area no longer teach French. Alex actually applied to teach Spanish, but they asked her to take the French classes instead
. After a week of orientation to teach French, the Spanish teacher backed out and at the end of the day on Friday (before classes started on Monday) they asked her if she would like to switch to Spanish?!!:shocker!: Since they had to hire a teacher for one of the subjects, they thought they would give her a choice. She decided it was a bit late to switch!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-28 9:07 AM
Good morning all!

Thanks Dave for starting us out.  My morning walk is done and I need to shower and do some household chores.  Then I have a meeting at 1:00.

The neighborhood is so quiet.  One of the private schools starts after Labor Day and we have several children that attend.  So next week, it will be even quieter.

It's still hot here but I just read that we may be in for a cold winter.  I hope so!

Have a good day all and bring a smile to someone's face!  You brought one to mine today.:hug:
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:19 PM
:grin::happy::grin: I'm hoping for a cold winter here!!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-28 9:34 AM
Another triple digit day.  It was a bit cloudy so I fired up the mower and 2 swipes into the yard the skies opened up for a downpour.  It lasted for 2 more swipes of the yard and then the temp must've climbed another 20 degrees.  The yard is finished but I'm soggy and I stink.  It will probably take til late afternoon for the cut grass to dry so that I can rake it.  Hadn't mowed in 9 days because it is August and I shouldn't have to mow more often than that.  However, I may need a hay baler.

I have a hair cut scheduled for 1:30 so I'm not cleaning up anytime before then.  I will continue to be soggy and stink.:laugh:  I think this is why Misha loves me so.  Dogs like smelly things right?

My ice cream last night was peanut butter cup soft serve with a spoon of candy corn on top.   I'm getting in the fall mood.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:05 AM
Ugh....it's not even that hot here!

"Dogs like smelly things.".......:laugh::laugh: Yep, they do!!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:28 AM
an inside pool party? :laugh:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 10:37 AM
I just got back from the ortho. Like I said in an earlier post I am not too high on the care I receive. I am so tired of hearing how healthy I am, that my body is just old. He says I am managing my pain really well. For my age my bones and joints look great...I almost canceled my appointment a couple of weeks ago because my knee was feeling better after taking glucosamine and wrapping it in castor oil. But I thought I might get some valuable, professional advice. But no. What a waste of time. And my knee still hurts.

Back to your regularly scheduled program....
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:16 PM
So sorry your knee is still hurting:sad:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-08-28 10:48 AM
Good Day All.
6.23 AKA the Dawn 10k this morning.

Well its hot here too. But it is summer. Cooling down by Friday.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-28 12:25 PM
I just realized that today is the 5th anniversary of my dad's death. When I was a kid we were close but at the end of his life he wasn't very nice to me, and I drifted away. Sadly that is the part that stays with me. I don't even think of him very often. Every once in a while something happens that I think my dad would know. But nothing endearing. Kind of sad. I hope he is at peace though.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday 8/28