Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Race Report (of sorts)
- - By swandive Date 2018-08-25 4:31 PM
I rarely do actual races and this wasn't a legit race.  My cousin's husband (henceforth cousin-in-law or CIL) is turning 40, so he decided to do a 40k run, 4k (40x100m) swim, and 40k bike.  He made an informal event of it and had various family and friends join him for parts of the race.  I ended up being the only taker for the first leg of the run, which was somewhere between 15 and 15.5 miles.  We headed out at 5:10am and arrived at the pool just before 8am.  That first portion of the run went surprisingly well and we had great weather.  We started slow but had a couple of fast miles near the end of the run and I was definitely feeling it by the last mile.  I haven't actually run with anyone in ages, and our 2:45 or so was definitely the longest I've spent just chatting with CIL and it was very enjoyable.

CIL's family met us at the pool.  There were some issues getting into the pool, as no one was there at the time they were supposed to open, so he got into the pool about 8:15 and did the swim in right about an hour.  4k was 160 laps and his wife swam 40 laps.  His 8-year-old daughter swam 24 laps and his 4-year-old was swimming as well!  After the swim I got a ride back to CIL's house with his family while CIL took off with three running friends for a 6-mile run back home.  I think they made pretty good time on the run and got back to the house then started another 3-mile loop with CIL's dad and a couple of the running friends.  CIL's dad is not in great shape, but he's been training hard to try to run 3 miles, so they did a slow 3 miles and survived.

CIL then headed out for the bike portion with a couple of friends.  I think they said they ended up averaging 16mph, so not too bad if you consider that CIL wasn't doing any bricks and really hadn't been training on the bike at all.  With transitions and all, he ended up finishing in right at 8 hours and had fried chicken and beer waiting for him at the finish. :laugh:  I'm tired but all-in-all it was a very fun day.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-08-25 5:39 PM
It's cool that you ran with him. He did great!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-25 7:21 PM
I knew he was a swimmer, but didn't realize he had gotten into running consistently.  He was nowhere close to Ironman distance on the bike, but it's pretty impressive to realize that he was very close to IM distance on the swim and run. :cool:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-08-26 7:01 AM
What a great idea for him to plan this and how rewarding for you as well since you got to know him better. This exercising lengthens people's lives and helps remaining years to be much more rewarding and enjoyable. Excellent workouts! :grin::cool:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-26 7:58 PM
It was a lot of fun. :happy:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-26 11:27 AM
Oh, I love this challenge!! Very cool!
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-26 8:04 PM
Isn't it a great?  He's a swimmer first, so apparently he's been doing 100m for each year of age for each birthday for the past 20 years or so, but was on the verge of being out of shape and got rather annoyed with himself for not doing the swim last year so he really wanted to do the 4000m swim... but he also took up running more seriously earlier this year so he had the idea to do a 40k run, and it seemed like he may as well bike, too. :laugh:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-08-26 7:09 PM
Very cool challenge!:cool:    I keep thinking, "why is the bike leg so short?  It's much easier to bike than swim or run those distances!"  :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-26 8:06 PM
:laugh::laugh:  It is a relatively short bike leg, but he got onto his bike exactly once to train for this and apparently has only been on his bike about twice in the past 10 years.  Unlike most of us, I think his 4k in the pool was the easiest leg for him.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-08-30 10:11 AM
No kidding.  4K would put me down crying about how much my lats and traps hurt!  :cry::laugh:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-26 9:13 PM
I definitely did a double take seeing a race report from you. I think the last actual race I am certain you did was....uh oh...good GAWD that was 9 years ago...Ragnar Northwest Passage. Am I right?

Good for you for running with CIL, I bet you made a big difference for him.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-27 6:39 AM
Ragnar wasn't quite my last race.  I ran a marathon in 2011 and a 10k five or so years ago. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-29 7:08 AM
Oops. My bad!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-08-27 9:20 AM
That sounds like so much fun!! What a great way to celebrate a milestone birthday! I loved the photos on FB.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-27 6:31 PM
It was fun! :cool:  Definitely nice that he had family/friends with him for all of the stages.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-27 11:41 AM
that sounds neat! Why did he split the run up with the swim? Just for the heck of it or because he needed to get from the pool back home?
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-27 6:34 PM
Some of it was logistics.  The pool was 6 miles or so away from home and didn't open until 8am.  He didn't want to wait until 8 to start, but doing the entire run before 8 would've made it really early.  Also, he'd never run longer than 17 miles before so he was keen to split up the run, plus he had some people who were running various portions with him so it made sense to have it broken up into stages.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-30 3:54 AM
Very cool idea for a birthday! And nice running from you. :happy:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-08-30 8:30 AM
what a cool idea for a 40th bday, and I'm sure he really appreciated your company!
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-31 10:01 AM
What a neat way to celebrate a 40th birthday! Thanks for sharing. :happy:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Race Report (of sorts)