Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Happy Buttered Corn Day - Thursday 8/23
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-23 6:50 AM
There are six different kinds of maize, or corn, and one of them is sweet corn, the kind that is most often celebrated on National Buttered Corn Day. Corn was first domesticated by Indigenous peoples in southern Mexico thousands of years ago, and more corn is now produced around the world than wheat or rice, although not all of it is used for human consumption.

https://www.checkiday.com/95a308e8078845c29fe0cc755757d0e5/buttered-corn-day
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-23 6:51 AM
Blood test this morning. Now I will spend a day expecting to see improvements in the numbers only to be disappointed when they all come out the same.  Nothing is bad per se, but my good cholesterol number is a tiny bit low, and my glucose number is near the top of the acceptable range. I keep hoping they will magically improve. I'm down a few pounds and eating better since the last test but not anything radical so I shouldn't have my hopes raised.

After the test, I went to the park and ran 4. Temperature was down 15° today at 56°. We are going to have 1-2 days of cooler weather before summer returns.

Got my AARP card yesterday. Cindy signed us up.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 6:57 AM
I just got my AARP card also.  I received a free membership after a Walgreens purchase.  I went online and completed the paperwork.  The cards came back with my husband's name on both of them!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-23 8:29 AM Edited 2018-08-23 8:31 AM
I get mail offers all the time for an AARP card.  I've only glanced at them, but what are the benefits?   I don't want the whole list, just what were things that persuaded you?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-23 8:45 AM
I don't know what the benefits are. Cindy signed up because she was thinking of trying a meal plan where low carb meals are delivered to you and AARP had a good plan they were offering. With her working part time and taking care of her mother she doesn't feel like planning meals.  I've been doing most the cooking for the last 35 years and I'm burned out and I don't like low carb diets.  So I am no help.  (Cindy is at her mother's most evenings and I just have a sandwich or a frozen meal most nights. I like eating very little at night. I would just as soon have dinner abolished.)

But then she decided not to do the meal plan because the cost is around $1000 a month.

So now we are AARP members for no reason.  But someday when I am bored I am going to check out the member benefits and see if there is anything interesting.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 1:27 PM
Have no ideas about the benefits.  I need to look into them.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 6:59 AM
I love corn especially Mexican street corn.  With Cojita cheese and Tajin -- yum, yum!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-23 8:24 AM
Come to Sterling for Fiesta weekend, they will be selling it on every corner!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 1:27 PM
Oh fun!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-23 8:28 AM
I don't put butter on mine, but what a great day to celebrate!   We had Wisconsin corn Tuesday night.  One word: don't.   Tasted like field corn.:sad:

Some places in my area dropped to 49 degrees overnight!  Dave, I'll send you this used weather again tomorrow.

Biking and yoga today; beautiful sunshine, breeze in my face. :happy::happy::happy:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 9:18 AM
I’ll take the used weather.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-08-23 10:31 AM
Rebecca's roommate is in the marching band, so she got to move into the dorm last night. We used the opportunity to move a few things in for Rebecca as well, that way the girls could start setting up the room. They are in a dorm build about 1917, so, no A/C and electrical outlets are definitely at a premium.

Official move-in day for Rebecca is Saturday.

I am thinking about going for a short run this evening to try out the hammie.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-23 11:10 AM
fun times.   :happy:

One of my girls was required to use a microwave/fridge combo (rented from the university) so as not to blow the fuses.  When the microwave was running the fridge shut off.  I'd never seen anything like it.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 1:28 PM
I have never heard of that combo.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-23 1:29 PM
Went for a walk this morning and I have been cleaning.  Oh my goodness!   Where do all those dust bunnies come from?  And why do they like my house?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-23 1:48 PM
My mantra: Dog Hair Everywhere!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Happy Buttered Corn Day - Thursday 8/23