Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Friday musings
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 5:40 AM
I am seeing ads for pumpkin spice lattes and 'are you ready for some football'

ok, I'm no fan of summer but I'd like several more weeks before I drag out the Halloween decorations.

Tell me some good summer stuff Masters.  And have a happy Friday.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 5:46 AM
Good summer things:  The clouds are prettier in the summer.  I love the smell of a fresh-mowed lawn.  Sunblock.:grin:

Arms and abs yesterday.  Ugh, haven't done those in awhile.:sad:so I'm hitting them again today.

School starts next week; the neighborhood is suddenly more active.  Seems the kids and parents are trying to squeeze in one more day at the park, one more after supper bike ride.  And oh, the scooters and skateboards!    People across the street put in an in ground pool.  I've been entertained for the past few weeks.  Yesterday it was 6 tanker trucks to fill it.  For their sake it would be nice for hot weather to last until Thanksgiving!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:38 AM
Are you in good terms with pool neighbors?    Even your school seems early.   Got to get those early Ds for heat to ease into school year. 

Do your A+A.  I need to start back.  Keep each other motivated.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 9:34 AM
They keep to themselves.  We wave but that's about it so I don't expect a swim invite. They moved in 10 years ago and have maybe said 10 sentences.  Strange because we both have dogs; that is usually the ice breaker.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-10 12:13 PM
My neighbors hardly ever talk to us. They are "Boston Marathoners" with the attitude that goes with it. :roll: BC (before cancer) I would always say hello to him in the morning when we would cross paths running. Nothing!!! But suddenly he has become friendly. Her not so much. Although at the trail run one week her mom was there and she was so sweet. :wtf: Cheering me on. She never did before. She says to her mom "this is the lady next door I've been telling you about" her mom says "oh my gosh so very nice to meet you! You look so strong" ummmmmmm. What did she say about me? I don't get some people! So I know what you mean.

I say hello to all my neighbors. A lot of them just look at me like 'why is she saying hello?' There is this one kid that everyone calls "odd" that I always talk to. At Halloween he had this amazing Wizard costume and I asked him about, he was all shy about it and timid. But now he says hello to me all the time. The woman across the street asked how I got him to respond to me. I said I talked to him and showed interest. Yeeesh!!!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 12:20 PM
Since I no longer work, some days the only people I speak with are the regulars at the park.  I make sure to at least say hello to all of them.  You never know when you are going to need a friend.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-10 12:24 PM
So true!!! I like to know who is living around me you know in case of apocalypse or something.....
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-10 6:08 AM
Good summer things:  my new slushy lemonade recipe; the scent of grilled hamburgers; iced tea (well actually that is year round!); the Mama Mia sequel; watermelon - those are a few of my favorite summer things.

This weekend is tax free weekend so it's best to not even get close to a mall.

Nothing much planned for today other than staying cool.  The forecasters say rain is coming, we shall wait and see.  I am hoping they are correct!

Enjoy your Friday!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:39 AM
I seriously need to come spend some summer with you.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-10 11:04 AM
Yes and then we can have Spam tacos!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 9:34 AM
hope you get some rain!
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-08-10 8:50 PM
Sales tax free?
No sales tax in AK. :happy:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-10 6:28 AM
4 humid miles for me, but it was under 70° and that was nice.  It was 67°.

I've been a bit tired all week. The travel took it's toll. (2 trips to Michigan and 1 to Florida.) And having the kid around messes with my sleep & work schedule. All I need is one good weekend to relax and I should be much better next week.

But having the kid around is one of the good things about summer.  Another good thing is the heat. It isn't good to run in, but when I just sit outside I can feel my muscles and joints loosen up. It's like a big heating pad on your whole body.  Then there is stuff like the Hot Dog Festival, Cupcake Festival, etc. Lots of 5k's every weekend should I get the urge to run. (Michigan had plenty of races all through the winter but it is pretty slim pickings down here in the winter.)
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:41 AM
I feel your pain with travel and grandkids.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 9:35 AM
I golfed in high school and I always liked the hot days.  My muscles loosened up and my swing was better.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-08-10 6:38 AM
Makayla drove off in her car for college early this morning.  Melissa followed behind.  I'm driving up after work.  You would think Makayla was going off to summer camp with her enthusiasm and excitement.  I'm glad she is happy with college and I am happy for her.

Summer:  I love the early morning running knowing that I don't have to rush to get home.  Usually I'm running with the sunrise.
I enjoy sitting on the front porch after my run and a shower with something to read.  Baseball is good summer stuff. 

I'm ready for some cross-country.  Practice for my elementary school begins Monday.  I miss coaching high school cc though.  But, I enjoy the sport with any age.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 9:36 AM
Glad she is excited.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-08-10 8:51 PM
Her new chapter is really exciting, especially for her! :laugh:
You will adjust... just takes some time. :hug:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-08-10 8:25 AM
7.29 miles this morning.

I love summer. Its my favorite season. Trying to enjoy all the sunshine and warmth while I can.

Coffee Fool email at 9:50am eastern time
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:43 AM
Whole lot of warmth this summer.   Haven't heard much about the Big Unit this summer.  I guess job gets in the way.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-08-10 10:12 AM
The Big Unit is getting the job done...as always :wink:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:55 AM
I planned to get up early and run before heat.  Slept horribly which cost me $30 since I gave up sleeping and wound up on ebay.   

I finally got up about 8:40 :shocker!: chugged some coffee and went for my run walk.  The running went much better than anticipated.  Ran in loops under the shade trees at the park.  

Summer:cool::cool: Enjoyed one of the joys of summer last night...summer concerts.  Eating subs (Cole Turkey last night), good music, and a stop for ice cream. :cool::cool:   Please I don't want it to end. 

I MUST DO CORE WORK    I MUST DO CORE WORK    I MUST DO CORE WORK.

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 9:37 AM
Yes, get after that core!!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-10 12:22 PM
You should do core in the pool. It doesn't seem like you're doing much, but later you can. :wink:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-10 12:21 PM
I saw a pumpkin decoration today at the dump, excuse me the transfer station. :roll:

Longer days, eating outside, being in the pool, trees and flowers and people (people never come outside in the winter here), smiling faces. Sandals, shorts, tank tops, topless Jeeps, my birthday, seeing my grand kids more, thunderstorms, how the moon lights up the pool.

Chores and errands today. I did two water classes this morning. Man those women can talk. :shocker!: Took some recycling to the transfer station, picked up a hoola hoop from the swap shop to see if I could still do it and I thought Willow might like it.

My kitties touched noses today :shocker!: and there was not one fight or growl or hiss. It was the coolest thing ever!!!! :happy dance:

That's about it!!!

Have a great Friday Masters.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-10 1:11 PM
such a long great list!
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-08-10 8:53 PM
Awww kitties! :hug:

I know my sweet girl is a bit lonely, I'm just terrified to bring in another cat. :cry:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-11 12:11 AM
It is a LOT of work. I forget how much work and patience it takes introducing them. But I think we’re getting somewhere now. Whew.
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-08-10 9:00 PM
Argh.
Sbux bringing out Pumpkin Spice on 8/29 is way too soon. Why? Can't it at least be late Septemberl before they start it up again? Apparently nothing is sacred anymore. :meh::laugh:

I despise Summer. :mutmad:
I hate the 24 hrs of daylight, the stupidly HOT temps that are truly far worse feeling up here than say, 80 degrees in my former (and much loved/missed homeland)
Perhaps when I have my own cabin with a megaton of insulation and a portable AC unit, I will change my mind. This year was just miserable. Even my cat was affected. :sad:

That said, my daughter-in-law has planted a beautiful and thriving garden of vegetables and flowers. It's been fun to watch them grow and see her nurture them. And, my granddaughter is due in two weeks!

That all said, bring on WINTER, SNOW, -40, and then, my new cabin home. :hug:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-08-11 12:21 AM
:hug: I agree with all that. Except -40° :shocker!:

I head they have a vegan syrup this year. But August is way too early. Maybe 9/29, not 8/29. :shocker!: Yes there were days my cats were pancakes on the tile flor liking for relief.

Awesome she has a garden going. I had one last year, it is wonderful eating what you grow. This year the temps were all over he board and I didn’t have the patience. Yay for granddaughters!!! The anticipation. Congratulations.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Friday musings