Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Thursday Dailies
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 8:15 AM
Whatcha got?

If you have kids in school, do they wear uniforms?
If you work in an office, are you business casual, suit/tie or whatever?

I'm trying, Tim. :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-09 10:49 AM
5 last night in the hilly tropical forest of Coventry Woods. Sweat and bugs and spider webs. A nice mix. I had a root canal earlier this morning, joy of joys, but honestly it was painless. Get a new crown in 2 weeks. Not sure of run today. I waffling on getting out on the trails after work or mowing the yard. The trail run sounds more fun, but the grass is growing again like crazy.

No school kids here, and I don't regularly work in an office either. Shorts and t-shirt is my attire today in my home office. Typically if I do go to a function it's business casual.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-09 4:19 PM
Sort of ugh yesterday but especially ugh this morning. :cry: Painless or not, I suspect you are feeling differently now. Bagging both options wouldn't be a bad idea, even though it's of course a lot nicer out there today compared to the past few days. :wink:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-09 4:05 PM
The tropics let up a bit today with temps in the mid-80s, an actual breeze and lower humidity. It made for a nice run of 5 miles along the river followed by 5 sets of capitol steps. Still sweaty, but not as draining as the past few days. :happy:

Our agency is a lot more relaxed now than it was 10 years ago, although we've always had a business casual Friday. But nowadays very few peeps wear suits and ties unless being in something requiring it. Except for Fridays, I still wear a suit with an "emergency" tie kept at the office but I gave up wearing a tie every day about 8 years ago. The relaxation in our agency coincided with our Insurance Commissioner coming from Oregon, and he brought "West Coast Business Casual" with him. :laugh::cool:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-08-09 4:45 PM
No workout today.

No kids that I'm aware of.

I work in a laboratory. Other than no open toe shoes and no shorts it's pretty much anything goes.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:18 PM
The wife worked 16 hours today so I stayed home with the kids. I hopped on the treadmill after they went to bed and did 7 miles with 10x 1 minute at 5:00 pace. Glad to see I can still max out the treadmill, even if only for one minute at a time!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 8:21 AM
Ran to the track with 3 girlfriends and we did 5 laps (sprint the straights, jog the curves) and then home. 5 miles total.

I do have kids in school and they wear uniforms. I love it because it simplifies all! :hug:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 8:34 AM
Nice run with friends. My kids wore khaki pants and white golf shirts in high school. I loved it even if they didn't. :laugh:
Retired here but when I worked I did physical therapy in a developmental center. Nice jeans or casual slacks and tops was the was to go with that crowd. (Think on the floor, moving and I won't go into it.)
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 8:53 AM
We've been going to PT and they are mostly in gym clothes!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:36 AM
Nice workout! :cool:

I hope your DS is feeling better today. :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 8:52 AM
He feels okay but his foot is still red (although slightly less than yesterday) and warm so we're waiting on a referral to infectious disease. :sad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:10 AM
:sad::hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-09 8:42 AM
That sounds like a great workout :happy:
:grin::grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 9:54 AM
Thats a good workout. Deceptively hard.

Except for finding the uniforms, I liked it. Black (non athletic) shorts were hard to find. And white shirts for boys? Considering I got their stuff used, then the eldest would wear a size for 3 years (one year big, one year ok, one year small), by the time DS2 was done with them, they were more gray than white. :blush:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-09 10:52 AM
I used to do that workout on the track. I loved it because the fast hard sections were so short.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-09 3:55 PM
Indeed nice workout on a couple levels! :cool:

The simplicity has to be great! i.e. reduced planning, negotiating etc. Mrs. flamus always handled school-clothes-buying with our kid, but even though he and we and the school were pretty easy, we still got some fashion/brand-name pushback from our guy even starting in elementary school. I like the idea of school uniforms, because all kids are on the same playing field.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:34 AM
Crazy thunderstorms rolled through here overnight! The thunder shook the entire house and sounded like it was right outside the bedroom window. DH slept through all of it. :wtf: No workout this morning due to lingering storms. So tonight I have 1000 yards in the pool and 5 running miles. Last night I had 15 bike miles on the schedule, which were supposed to be outside, but I didn't get out of work until late so I rode the bike to nowhere for an hour and called it good.

We are business casual at my office, and I like to err on the side of business. Today it's a pencil skirt and nice top. I limit myself to wearing jeans only on Fridays, but people wear them every day here. I would love uniforms! :laugh: I waste too much mental energy figuring out what to wear in the mornings.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 8:37 AM
Uniforms do have their pluses. So DH slept through it, huh? Many years ago I slept through the mini-tornado that happened during a hurricane. :laugh:
Hope the work-out goes well tonight.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-09 1:03 PM
:shocker!::shocker!:
Nice! I hope we get some rain. They're predicting we will tomorrow! Fingers crossed.

Have a good workout! :cool:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-08-09 9:10 AM
I have to figure out what I am wearing the night before.  Otherwise I stand in front of my closet at 6 a.m. gazing stupidly at my clothes. :roll:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 9:20 AM
I've always been intrigued by one of those fashion people that put things together for you... I struggle now, big time. I did purge my closet a couple nights ago and it felt so great.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 9:56 AM
I am so boring. I have almost all solid colored shirts/sweaters and a bunch of pants. Most things pair with the other. Just grab and go. And I have black shoes or brown shoes. Pick the closet color.  I obviously err on the casual side :laugh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-09 8:35 AM
13km with my usual sidekick :hug:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 8:38 AM
The usual sidekick - :hug:
:hug::hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 9:59 AM
:hug:
- - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 8:35 AM
10 miles in my neighborhood. First 5 with my neighbor who then went to work. I had planned on just over 8 but it was a bit cooler this morning so...
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-09 8:41 AM
Nice run OT!
Great run! :grin::grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 9:59 AM
Woah! I now down to those who tack on miles to the plan. Nice!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-09 10:53 AM
:cool:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-08-09 11:37 AM
I have to get into the double digits....that would be a long run for me :meh:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:52 AM
Nothing. Have a cold.
Bummer :sad:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-09 9:03 AM
Dammit....read you post too quickly and now I'm having a cold one :hug:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 9:08 AM
:sad: Hope it passes quickly.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 10:00 AM
Summer colds are the worst! :cry:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-09 8:53 AM
Going to try for around 8 tonight.

No kids.. I did have to wear a uniform in grammar school. Work is casual unless I have a meeting with higher up types..

Got to spend time with my cousin who I haven't seen in 15+ years up on one of the Finger Lakes earlier this week. She lives in New Mexico now but is back this way for her high school reunion. One of her classmates/close friend owns a place on the lake. It was very nice and the other ladies there were very cool. All outdoorsy types. My cousin had to give me a heads up before I got there that there was an attack at the place next door Sunday night/Monday morning early. So when I got there, there was crime scene tape up at that place and a lot of police. A guy had attacked his mother and killed her dog. From what I understand, she was put in a medically induced coma but I think is expected to survive. Cousin's friends had heard some stuff and saw him walking up and down the road I guess after he attacked her but were not alarmed enough to call anyone.. Reporter stopped me and my cousin as we were heading back from a hike Monday and then showed up at the house a bit later.. My cousin and I spent a lot of time together when we were young. It was so good to see her :hug:

Park guy continues to be quite enjoyable so far..
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 8:55 AM
Whoa on the attack :shocker!::shocker!:
I'm glad you got to see your cousin! Nice photo on fb :hug:

Yay! That's fun and exciting!! :hug::grin:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-08-09 9:00 AM
Enjoy your 8.  And park guy, too.  :happy:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 9:10 AM
Cousin and friends :grin::hug:
Attack :shocker!::roll:
Park guy :grin:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 12:58 PM
the emoticon next to attack is supposed to be :shocker!:
old turtle and her lack of typing skills :blush:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-10 11:28 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 10:01 AM
Oh my! That is awful!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-09 10:54 AM
Yikes. Sounds like a nice trip to the lake though.
- - By SRoo Date 2018-08-09 9:07 AM
35 minutes in the pool.  I think they put jello in my lane because I felt out of breath and sluggish the whole time.  Well, next time will be better.

I wear dress pants with a button down shirt or maybe a notch less dressy with khakis and a presentable shirt.  Close-toed shoes.  Sometimes jeans and polar fleece if I am feeling casual, tired, sick, or grumpier than usual.  The lad's school doesn't have uniforms, and he is not particular about clothes.  Whatever is on the top of the pile.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-08-09 9:10 AM
I have always swum like there was jello in my lane.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 9:21 AM
me too :laugh:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 9:22 AM
Nice workout!

Do the kids wear Under Armour up there? All of our friends around us that don't wear uniforms are always in head to toe UA. :laugh:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-08-09 9:33 AM
Yep, lots of UA.  I think the lad has one UA shirt.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 9:45 AM
: pbbt:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 10:03 AM
Does he then tend to wear the same 7 shirts/shorts each week? Jacob does that and it drives me crazy. Let's get rid of some stuff you don't wear. Oh no.......
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-08-09 4:35 PM
Yes.  When he was younger, I would just not wash something or put it on the bottom of the stack.  Now he does his own laundry.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 9:28 AM
Today was 20 min walk/20 min stairmonster/20 min bike.  Stairmonster was the hardest effort in awhile.  119 steps/min.  Best I’ve done in a couple of weeks, though good is 124 steps/min.  Those pesky 5 steps/min are hard!  Bike was a hard effort too.  Then my shoulder lifting workout was a killer.  Finished with a bit of PT stuff.

Last batch of Idiot neighbor kids stole a street sign – pole and all.  :roll: DH saw it while mowing grass last night.  I emailed Traffic this morning (technically, they’re part of our office) to come pick it up.  It hadn’t been replaced yet, so they can use it.

My gym friend/HS math teacher told me this morning that this is the last year the schools are paying for dual enrollment.  Our district is so poor that all kids get free breakfast/lunch.  Next year will be interesting. Just another reason I am sooooooooo glad my kids will be DONE with this school system.

We did 11 years (K-7/8) of private school in white collared shirts/black pants, one year of public middle in any kind of solid blue shirt/khaki pants, and high school where it just can’t be obscene.

I was the first woman hired in an office full of guys, most of whom spend the day out in the field.  Nobody cares what I look like. :laugh:   Business casual would be the closest description.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 10:32 AM
Sounds like a killer workout!! Lots of cardio!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-09 1:18 PM
My daughter has interned at an engineering company the past two summers and is the only female.  She said the guys all wear jeans but felt that wasn't appropriate.  I told her that men have no idea that colored jeans are jeans, so she bought a variety of colors at Old Navy!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-09 3:32 PM
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-09 4:23 PM
Lol!!! No, they generally won't notice or care. One of our new inspectors wears superhero t-shirts every day. Of course, they are wring outable by the end of every day.  : pbbt:

I am weird that I HATE the feel of denim. A jeans dress code would be torture for me. I wear work pants, mostly from Penneys on sale with coupons. Many of my pants I got from there when I first started in '97.  And this summer, I discovered I :hug: Walmarts $2.88 t-shirts. I bought several colors and that's mostly what I wear to replace the Target ones... I am not a fashion statement :laugh:

And my DH is an elementary PE teacher. In 25+ years he has had 2 suits. Couldn't tell you the last time he bought a tie or dress shirt.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:16 AM
Long time since my kids were in school but Catholic K-8 for both & HS for one they had uniforms.  Public school not so much.  Same or me...way back when...except in HS (all male) it was sport coat & tie with the coat & tie requirement relaxed when it got hot late in the spring semester.  Interestingly, the (Catholic) college freshmen class before mine was the first not required to wear a coat & tie to class & jeans & T shirts, some tie dyed :roll: were the norm when I got there. 

I work in a gym :laugh:   When I worked in an office, I was in management for about 90% of my career and middle to upper management for a good portion of that. I was typically in a coat & tie, sometimes relaxed to business casual on Fridays.  We had about 20 of our major customers (international military) with representatives collocated in our office.  The prospect of a formal or informal meeting with a customer (who was typically dressed in a military "office" or dress uniform) at any time required I be dressed presentably all . the . time.

My workout will be teaching spin class this evening. For my regular 6am class yesterday I taught a new profile that simulated us riding at the back, middle and front of a pack of cyclists, so moderate - hard - hardest effort over alternating flat & hilly terrain for shorter (=more reps) and longer (=less reps) durations.  Then I subbed a class at 9:30am and recycled a profile I last taught back in March that was four 11 minute "intervals" which had us moving from high cadence on a flat to a hill (more resistance), to "attacks on a hill" (10 sec harder effort standing/10 second seated X 5), seated finish the hill, then fast cadence flat and 1 minute recovery...repeat.  I planned to teach the former profile tonight but the latter one seemed to be better received by the class.  Both are really good workouts but now I'm conflicted :roll:   :laugh:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-09 10:32 AM
Funny about the tie dyed! :laugh:

Your new workout sounds good! :grin:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:43 AM
Funny about the tie dyed!   Typical in September of 1970.
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:47 AM
went to the gym for a leg workout - did everything but squats because all the racks were taken (at 6:30 am...what the heck dudes!) so I did them in my room when I got home.

I think I posted the other day, I work at a data center and there are days I'm taking boxes out to a dumpster, or crawling on a ceiling rack pulling fiber, so I wear jeans, converse sneakers and a t-shirt every day. and I keep a fleece jacket at my desk because it's freezing in here! the guys I work with never notice what anyone is wearing, but sometimes I'll give myself theme weeks; all gray shirts, all race t-shirts, all concert t-shirts, etc. I'm only entertaining myself :roll:

side note - are you going to Texas Live tonight for 1100 Springs and The Toadies? We're meeting S and heading over there around 6pm, I think doors are at 7pm. :cool:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:57 AM
5.25 gross humid miles. Then it POURED on me when I was walking my kid into camp

Yes, my daughter wears a uniform and I love it! It makes everything so much easier for us.
I work from home so I don't get dressed up. Usually casual shirt/shorts/jeans. In the summer I wear a lot of dresses because they are comfortable. For business meetings I wear a dress with a cardigan or jacket most of the time.

interview was good, I think. I'm exhausted. I don't know if I want the job but it was good to interview anyway, it has been a while since I have done that!

The kitten is sick. I dropped her off at the vet this morning and am waiting to hear how she is doing.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-09 12:07 PM
we only got a light sprinkling of rain - and it's humid AF. yuck!
sorry about your kitteh - :hug:
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-08-09 11:29 AM Edited 2018-08-09 11:31 AM
Happy Thursday,

Yesterday got in a good gym workout and trail run.   Today, probably take the day off.  Rough weather so no kids soccer and no run for me during.

No school uniforms here thankfully but there is a dress code of some sort.   The kids dress pretty basic and wear a lot of boy clothes actually.  We let them wear what they want unless its to skimpy and that they can wear around the house if its warm out or something.   The girls call those super super short skirts butt flaps.   We don't do the butt flaps at our house but hey each to their own.   I no longer sit at a desk all day cranking out software anymore - well most days and am allowed business casual and recently nice jeans for the type of work I do now.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-09 1:29 PM
When my daughter was in 3-4 grade, she started to ask for weekend clothes which I did not believe were age appropriate.  I told her that if she wasn't comfortable wearing something in front of Fr. Vogan (our priest), it was not a good choice.  This solved many a problem!  Even in HS, she would say......."this is Fr. Vogan appropriate".
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-08-09 3:18 PM
- By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-09 12:40 PM
5 miles of hills.

I wanted to get back to doing our hill route - the Alps to get ready for RTB. I was happy that the other 2 folks were willing to join in. There are a group of hills in a close area and this route goes up and down the hills so you work a hill, recover down, and then transition to the next uphill. The hills vary in steepness and gain betwee; 75-100 feet each. It was a little warm so we kept to the basic 5 hill route. It was a good workout and the legs feel nice and tired.

Our kids went to public school so no uniforms. I work with a bunch of lawyers so while most people are business casual, there are some of the older folks who still are in suits.
- By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-09 1:25 PM Edited 2018-08-09 1:30 PM
10 miles....it was super gross out.  Will go to boxing class tonight. 

I wore a uniform for 12 years and didn't mind it.  The blazerkids wore a uniform when we live in Michigan as they went to Catholic school......the girl for 6 years, the boy for 3 years.  I wear a sleeveless sheath dress to work 99.9% of the time as that is what I feel most comfortable in and I own about 25!  As most of my clients dress casual, I really don't need to dress that way, but look better in dresses than I do in pants.  In real winter weather.....which we only get about 45 days a year.....I may wear pants with a nice blouse or leggings with a long sweater.  During the summer, most of the men I work with wear golf shirts and nice pants, but wear suits in the winter.  #banking
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Thursday Dailies