Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursdaily, 09 Aug 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-09 5:35 AM
Weekend is almost here!

What's happening in your neck of the woods?  If you have rain, and don't want it, please send it down here.  The kids go back to school 20 August.  I think the teachers go back on Friday.

Post away.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-09 6:07 AM Edited 2018-08-09 6:11 AM
I'm in the office today. Made it through the I-64 construction in one piece and hope to make it home the same way.

I didn't bring a workout bag today so there will be no stopping at the gym on the way home. That could mean a stop for ice cream at "The Twist"...but probably not. The road construction makes it a tough place to stop. Everything is backed in that area by cars trying to avoid the interstate construction.

Annabelle has orientation at her new school this morning and starts classes next week (5th grade).  My son-in-law works in the same school district and got the kid into the class with the teacher that all the kids seem to like.  (And is known as a good teacher.)  The school does a takeoff on Harry Potter and splits the kids up in different "houses". That seems to have Annabelle's interest up.

My younger daughter is moving from Dekalb, IL back to Michigan.  She works from home anyway, so she asked her boss if she could move and he said yes. Her husband really doesn't like the high taxes and gun laws in Illinois so he already started packing. He is an outdoorsman and Illinois is not firearm friendly (from what I am told.)  But the real reason for the move is the superior corn in Michigan over that in Illinois. : pbbt:  The climate extremes in Illinois detracts from the corn crop. They'll move back to Michigan and stay with his mother until their house sells, and then they will begin house hunting.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:33 AM
All the Michigan produce is superior to Illinois.  Not just the corn.   I am so glad Lisa and Jacob moved there so I can visit and see in person all the great Michigan stuff you post about.  And the craft beer, don't forget the craft beer!!

Lee is in the Detroit area for work today, coming home through Lansing to see the kids but also to grab a fresh blueberry pie and beer at Horrocks.  Then on down through Kalamazoo because there is another Horrocks there and he might have forgotten something!

Sorry the Dekalb gig didn't work out.  It is a nice, though expensive area.  The trend is to get the heck out of Illinois so they are just a few of the many.  Do they still have their dog?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:59 AM
They still have the dog and that is one reason they are going live in Michigan while their house sells. It will give them a chance to clean-up all the husky hair. I know you like husky dogs but what a load of trouble theirs is. Like yours, they can't go anywhere for very long, hair is everywhere, you can't let it run free so it is always on a leash, and she is on medication for seizures. But they love the crazy thing.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-08-09 6:36 AM
Day 2 of school.  Yesterday the art/music teacher, Chinese teacher, a couple of other staff, and myself had all grade level students in the gym.  So, all 115+ fifth graders came for 45 minutes, etc.  We had students participate in various games/activities that they liked.  It went really well.  Organization is key.  Doing the same today and tomorrow, but different activities.  Being a 3 day week we are doing an orientation, but next week will start regular rotations with one homeroom at a time to the different specials (Art/Music, PE, Library, Chinese).

Makayla is packing up her vehicle tonight to leave for college tomorrow morning.  Melissa is taking a Personal Day and driving up.  I'm going after work.  Check-in for freshman is that morning but the school has activities for students and families all day.  I'll make it in time for the dinner and closing activities for the evening.  The school is less than an hour drive from home, so Makayla is not too far.  She's extremely excited for college.

I have a followup doctor appointment after work for my stress fracture.  I don't know what they can do, but they wanted to see me in two weeks.  The pain has gone away, for now.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:37 AM
For whatever reason, sending Amy off to college 90 minutes away was far more difficult than sending Lisa 5 states away!  Probably because she's my youngest.  I wish you and Melissa all the best as you settle Makayla in for her next chapter.  She seems to me to be one of those kids who will do this world some good.  Tell her to soak up every bit that college has to offer and that I'm cheering for her.

And this is Ryan's last year isn't it?
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:06 AM
Ryan is taking time off from college, but would have been a junior this year.  He decided last Christmas that he was not interested in his major Computer Technology.  He is working full time two miles from his college at Lost River Caves.  He gets to drive a boat giving tours on a river inside a cave.  He absolutely loves it!  Right now he is considering returning to school for environmental engineering.  I think he found what he loves to do and that is to be outdoors and he loves meeting people in that kind of venue.  He finally came out of his shell.

Thank you for your comments on Makayla.  I do plan on telling her to make the most of her opportunities at school, and I think she will.  I'm going to miss her terribly, but am tremendously excited for her.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-09 11:06 AM
Good for Ryan.  It could be a bad idea to stick with a major that was no longer a good fit.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-08-09 11:36 AM
Tell me about it. :sad:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-08-09 8:44 AM
my rain is done, leaving me with a hot and humid day.  I'm going to spend the morning outside because it won't be possible after lunch.  It's been good rain. The kind that leaves you with wet shoes for days.  Nothing like smelly former running now lawn mowing shoes moldering outside the back door!

I am taking a rest day today.  Though I'll do a few yoga-ish stretches before bed to help me sleep.  My running shoes are shot and my legs ached so badly after yesterday's run it was hard to sleep.  A girl friend has opened a small running store and her Grand Opening is Saturday.  I plan to 'shop local' and get some shoes from her.  She carries none of the name brands because she is so small.  It is going to be an adventure into the unknown.  I see she has Diadora and 361.  Hoka too, but I already know I don't like those.  I'm guessing anything will be an improvement over my 14 month old Brooks.  Can sure tell I don't run as much.  I used to buy shoes every 6 months and have 3 pair in rotation.  Shocked that I'm down to one pair.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-08-09 10:12 AM
There is a privately owned running store that was opened about 4 years ago near me.  The guy does not have the selection of more established running stores, but has done very well in his business.  Hope you can find a decent pair of shoes.
Parent - By rungear [us] Date 2018-08-09 2:04 PM
Have a GREAT WEEKEND everyone.  For me, everyday is the weekend, and I do a lot of weekend volunteering with/for the "EASY BAY REGIONAL PARD DISTRICT" with 75 parks around Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, we have about 114,000 acres of parks, some with swimming, camping, and at all of the parks you can Hike, Bike, or ride your horse.  I do a lot with the Hiking Patrol and also as An Ambassador which requires me to be at our table (we are 1 of maybe 10-15 different tables) at many different events at company facilities, schools, hospitals and in our parks, and my job is to chat with folks about our parks and answer questions about what's available at our parks.

You can check on the EBRP website at EBRP.Org!

See ya later alligators.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Thursdaily, 09 Aug 2018