Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / August Book Club
- By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-08-07 8:44 AM
:cool:
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-08-07 8:49 AM
Finished the book Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly with my kids. This was a great adventure book with a group of characters that included a wannabe psychic, a deaf girl and a shy boy. I thought it was really well done.

I started and almost immediately stopped reading Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. It seemed to not have a point and I found myself not wanting to read it at night. I have too much other stuff on my list to get to
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:45 AM
What age kids is Hello Universe good for? I'm always looking for some new kid books...

I was not a fan of Go Set a Watchman either.
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-08-07 9:48 AM
I read it to my 7 and 10 year old and they both enjoyed it.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-08 6:01 PM
Reading A Dog's Journey Another novel for humans By W. Bruce Cameron. What can I say...we're suckers for dog books and we read Cameron's other one, A Dog's Purpose. This one twangs on heartstrings even more.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:25 AM
Where the Evil Dwells by Clifford Simak.

He's known for his science fiction stories, which I've read a number of and have had varying opinions of. This one is squarely in the fantasy genre and while it is fairly entertaining it falls into the same problem that I find in most fantasy; a quest that doesn't amount to much more than a loosely connected series of adventures. The characters are fighting a moss monster here, now they travel west and meet a dragon, now they travel even further and meet a mysterious peddler...
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-08-07 10:46 AM
Maybe they all turn out to be connected by a shadowy and ill-defined main antagonist who is then defeated in anticlimatic fashion at the end.  :shocker!:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-08 7:44 AM
One can hope.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-08 12:29 PM
it's probably aliens!
- By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:49 AM
hmmm.

OK, I finished Red Clocks this weekend, it is about a near future where abortion is illegal, and women who try to terminate a pregnancy are treated as criminals. It follows 5 characters, and is an interesting perspective on women, and the roles of women.

Currently Reading The Mars Room and Exit West, both are very good.

I will be reading Lives Other Than My Own for book club later this month.
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-08 12:28 PM
I finished The Favorite Sister on Saturday for book club - it was okay, but I didn't like that every chapter was from a different characters perspective and the timeline kept jumping around. The end was a bit of a twist I didn't see coming though.

I've also been reading Blindsight by Peter Watts - it's very odd, and I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm going to finish it and see what happens to all of these strange earthlings as they probe an alien outpost.

after that I have to read another bookclub book Then She Was Gone
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-12 10:18 AM
Just about finished with Then She was Gone.  Interesting but as I approach the end of the book, it's become extremely dark and difficult to finish. Hope that's not too much of a spoiler.
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-08 2:00 PM
Most of the way through Distance Running for Masters by Lydiard and Gilmour.  I started Noake's Waterlogged but it is far too technical.  I think he made his point in the introduction, and I'm willing to accept his thesis from there.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-08-12 11:32 AM
I finished Born A Crime by Trevor Noah —great read; wish it were longer . This is a heartfelt tribute to his mother , in  addition to the absurdities of apartheid . I hope there will be a sequel encompassing the author’s adult life.
Now reading The Bitter Lemons of Cyprus by Robert Durrell , about living on that divided isalnd . Also back with Richard Ford’s quartet , currently reading Independence Day . His sidebars and riffs always get me.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 3:42 AM
I remember reading an interview w/ Trevor Noah and him mentioning this book.  I need to check it out.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:34 PM
I have been to Cyprus. I'm not sure the two sides will ever be reunited. Too much bad blood and too much time.
- - By jennyO Date 2018-08-13 1:44 PM
I read the new Ruth Ware book (The Lying Game), which was kind of crappy/trashy but no worse than I'd expected.  Now reading Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread, which is just as good as I'd thought it would be.  Also listening to Magpie Murders, by Anthony Horowitz.  He's written for TV a lot.  If you like Midsomer Murders, or Poirot, or Foyle's War, or if you like Agatha Christie, definitely this one is worth checking out.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-13 3:15 PM
I just picked up The Death of Mrs. Westaway it is good so far. I loved the Magpie Murders!
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-13 5:46 PM
A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron. This is a sequel from his book A Dog's Purpose which I read a while ago. Mrs. flamus and I are suckers for dog books, especially from the dog's POV, and this one made me cry even more than usual, tearing up through the last several chapters. :laugh:

Next up probably will be something historical, political or social now that I've been cleansed by a dog book. I've got Rick Wilson's book pre-ordered and probably will get Omarosa's. There are other political books I want to read but probably will fit another dog book in there. :laugh:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 3:41 AM
My library's server is down for maintenence.  I hope I remember to check later to see if they have these.  I'll probably cry if I read them too.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 5:55 PM
Do read them both, in order. :hug:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-15 5:21 AM
Successfully placed a hold on the first one :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-14 5:10 AM
I loved A Dogs Purpose. I remember sitting on the couch crying for about 15 minutes after reading The Art of Racing in the Rain
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 5:56 PM Edited 2018-08-14 6:08 PM
Oh geez, now that one is on my list!

eta just ordered it.:cool:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-14 1:34 PM
We have both of those dog books at home as the boy read them.  He went to see the movie based on the first book and was INFURIATED the focus of the movie was more about the guy, rather than the dog.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 5:59 PM
I didn't know there was a movie! :shocker!: Not sure I wan't to see it now though, given the focus. :wtf:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 3:39 AM
North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail by Scott Jurek, w/ Jenny Jurek.  (I want to give Jenny her due here, as I find her contributions just as awesome as his, so far.)  Only three chapters in, but loving this, not so much for the running stuff, which is just getting started, but his, and her, openness about the mental and emotional challenges he was facing in the months leading up to this adventure, and how she supported as well as challenged him.  (Confession: I'm a bit envious of him, having someone like her in his corner.)

Two John Piper books: A Hunger for God: Desiring God through Fasting and Prayer and When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy: the latter read inspired by my brother who is fighting stage IV colon cancer that has spread to his liver.  He has been getting treatment in Mexico and listened to a 6-part series of sermons based on this book as he drove there his last trip.  I tried listening/watching on YouTube, but my mind kept wandering, so I got the book and read it.  Piper's a tough read for me as I keep wanting to argue with him, but I've found both books worthwhile.  I have a desire to fast, but I'm not sure how I'll incorporate it into my running agenda. 

Also, started The Gift, by Pete Hamill.  It's good, but I'm not into it. 

Haven't reopened How to Change Your Mind and doubt I'll finish it.  I got what I needed, I think.  Also, my fascination with all things Kierkegaard appears to be waning for the moment.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-14 8:57 AM
I'm glad that you're enjoying North. I thought that it was great.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 1:26 PM
The further I read, the more I like it.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-08-14 12:21 PM
Glad I saw this.  It reminds me to put North on my wish list.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 6:01 PM Edited 2018-08-14 6:08 PM
North now is on my list as well.

eta just ordered it. :cool:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:40 PM
I am sorry about your brother's situation.

You might try Everything Happens For a Reason: And Other Lies I've Loved by Kate Bowler. She is a divinity student, mother of a toddler, and has stage 4 colon cancer. Her book is funny and touching at the same time -- I picked it up at the library and very much enjoyed it.

Fasting is doable whilst training but I don't recommend it when you're actually racing/doing endurance events. You need the fuel.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-15 5:17 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.  I love the title.
- By george [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:14 AM
I'm almost done with Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's extremely interesting speculative evolutionary science fiction.
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:42 PM
Built: The Hidden Stories Behind Our Structures by Roma Agrawal.

An engineer who can write! I really enjoyed this book, and I am about as far from an engineer as one can get.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / August Book Club