Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / August Book Club
- By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-08-07 8:44 AM
:cool:
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-08-07 8:49 AM
Finished the book Hello, Universe by Erin Entrada Kelly with my kids. This was a great adventure book with a group of characters that included a wannabe psychic, a deaf girl and a shy boy. I thought it was really well done.

I started and almost immediately stopped reading Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. It seemed to not have a point and I found myself not wanting to read it at night. I have too much other stuff on my list to get to
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:45 AM
What age kids is Hello Universe good for? I'm always looking for some new kid books...

I was not a fan of Go Set a Watchman either.
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-08-07 9:48 AM
I read it to my 7 and 10 year old and they both enjoyed it.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-08 6:01 PM
Reading A Dog's Journey Another novel for humans By W. Bruce Cameron. What can I say...we're suckers for dog books and we read Cameron's other one, A Dog's Purpose. This one twangs on heartstrings even more.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:25 AM
Where the Evil Dwells by Clifford Simak.

He's known for his science fiction stories, which I've read a number of and have had varying opinions of. This one is squarely in the fantasy genre and while it is fairly entertaining it falls into the same problem that I find in most fantasy; a quest that doesn't amount to much more than a loosely connected series of adventures. The characters are fighting a moss monster here, now they travel west and meet a dragon, now they travel even further and meet a mysterious peddler...
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-08-07 10:46 AM
Maybe they all turn out to be connected by a shadowy and ill-defined main antagonist who is then defeated in anticlimatic fashion at the end.  :shocker!:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-08 7:44 AM
One can hope.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-08 12:29 PM
it's probably aliens!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-17 9:01 AM
Where the Evil Dwells was mediocre at best.

I have two books that I borrowed from little libraries but am not sure which to start first...

Revival by Stephen King

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

I'll probably read The Handmaid's Tale because it is an easier size to pack for our trip.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-27 7:07 PM
I’m about 120 pages into The Handmaid’s Tale. It’s really tedious.  Nothing much has happened, the dialog is terrible, it’s repetitive and I’m having trouble believing the entire premise. I’m close to giving up. Does it get better?
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-28 4:51 AM
wow. I've read that book a few times and that has never been my experience. Maybe not the right book for you? I don't know.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-28 7:08 AM
I guess I was expecting it to be more 1984ish. I’m finding it really slow moving. Also, based on the narrator’s memories it seems like the total collapse of society into what’s described in the book took only a matter of months, is that right? To me that goes passed “suspend disbelief” into nonsense territory.

I plan on finishing the book to see if I end up enjoying it more.
- By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:49 AM
hmmm.

OK, I finished Red Clocks this weekend, it is about a near future where abortion is illegal, and women who try to terminate a pregnancy are treated as criminals. It follows 5 characters, and is an interesting perspective on women, and the roles of women.

Currently Reading The Mars Room and Exit West, both are very good.

I will be reading Lives Other Than My Own for book club later this month.
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-08 12:28 PM
I finished The Favorite Sister on Saturday for book club - it was okay, but I didn't like that every chapter was from a different characters perspective and the timeline kept jumping around. The end was a bit of a twist I didn't see coming though.

I've also been reading Blindsight by Peter Watts - it's very odd, and I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm going to finish it and see what happens to all of these strange earthlings as they probe an alien outpost.

after that I have to read another bookclub book Then She Was Gone
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-12 10:18 AM
Just about finished with Then She was Gone.  Interesting but as I approach the end of the book, it's become extremely dark and difficult to finish. Hope that's not too much of a spoiler.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-21 12:04 PM
I feel like Floyd is up to no good
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-23 8:28 AM
Finished last night - I feel like the best possible outcome occurred, but man Noelle was a loony tune!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-24 4:02 AM
This also follows my theory that most crimes are committed by someone the victim knows.  I just finished it yesterday even though I finished most of it about 3 weeks ago on our drive back from Florida. (I wasn't driving.)
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-24 7:44 AM
it was definitely a quick read, and I've always loved reading books set in London (not sure why). the only thing I thought Noelle would have done differently was to collect a "specimen" from Floyd to put her plan into motion. Ordering off the interwebz from a stranger didn't really seem like it would have been her style.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-24 10:02 AM
She wasn't very patient though.:laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-24 12:04 PM
very true :grin:
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-08 2:00 PM
Most of the way through Distance Running for Masters by Lydiard and Gilmour.  I started Noake's Waterlogged but it is far too technical.  I think he made his point in the introduction, and I'm willing to accept his thesis from there.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-08-12 11:32 AM
I finished Born A Crime by Trevor Noah —great read; wish it were longer . This is a heartfelt tribute to his mother , in  addition to the absurdities of apartheid . I hope there will be a sequel encompassing the author’s adult life.
Now reading The Bitter Lemons of Cyprus by Robert Durrell , about living on that divided isalnd . Also back with Richard Ford’s quartet , currently reading Independence Day . His sidebars and riffs always get me.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 3:42 AM
I remember reading an interview w/ Trevor Noah and him mentioning this book.  I need to check it out.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:34 PM
I have been to Cyprus. I'm not sure the two sides will ever be reunited. Too much bad blood and too much time.
- - By jennyO Date 2018-08-13 1:44 PM
I read the new Ruth Ware book (The Lying Game), which was kind of crappy/trashy but no worse than I'd expected.  Now reading Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread, which is just as good as I'd thought it would be.  Also listening to Magpie Murders, by Anthony Horowitz.  He's written for TV a lot.  If you like Midsomer Murders, or Poirot, or Foyle's War, or if you like Agatha Christie, definitely this one is worth checking out.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-13 3:15 PM
I just picked up The Death of Mrs. Westaway it is good so far. I loved the Magpie Murders!
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-08-27 11:13 AM
Magpie Murders was excellent.  A cut above the genre.  I'm now listening to another thriller (Claire Mackintosh, I See You).  I love listening to gripping stories because they really pass the time when I'm cleaning house, driving, etc.  And right now Audible has a bunch of things on sale. :blush:

A Spool of Blue Thread was also fantastic.  No one does families like Anne Tyler!  I'm now reading a collection of George Saunders essays called The Braindead Megaphone.
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-13 5:46 PM
A Dog's Journey by W. Bruce Cameron. This is a sequel from his book A Dog's Purpose which I read a while ago. Mrs. flamus and I are suckers for dog books, especially from the dog's POV, and this one made me cry even more than usual, tearing up through the last several chapters. :laugh:

Next up probably will be something historical, political or social now that I've been cleansed by a dog book. I've got Rick Wilson's book pre-ordered and probably will get Omarosa's. There are other political books I want to read but probably will fit another dog book in there. :laugh:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 3:41 AM
My library's server is down for maintenence.  I hope I remember to check later to see if they have these.  I'll probably cry if I read them too.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 5:55 PM
Do read them both, in order. :hug:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-15 5:21 AM
Successfully placed a hold on the first one :hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-16 5:06 PM
:cool:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-14 5:10 AM
I loved A Dogs Purpose. I remember sitting on the couch crying for about 15 minutes after reading The Art of Racing in the Rain
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 5:56 PM Edited 2018-08-14 6:08 PM
Oh geez, now that one is on my list!

eta just ordered it.:cool:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-18 11:37 AM
Prepare to sob your eyes out.:cry:: pbbt:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-28 3:56 PM
Finished it a few days ago and mrs. flamus has started it...you were right. :cry::hug: But a huge inspiring takeaway was the theme expressed a couple ways to the effect of that which is manifest is before you and your car goes where your eyes go. It took a while to figure out what the hell that meant but this old thick head finally got it and I learned a lot from this book. I told mrs. flamus at some point about halfway through that this might be the best dog book ever and I still feel that way, so thanks for the recommendation. :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-29 7:39 AM
:hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-30 10:13 AM
:hug: I needed that today.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-16 7:30 AM
Art of Racing in the Rain was wonderful.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-14 1:34 PM
We have both of those dog books at home as the boy read them.  He went to see the movie based on the first book and was INFURIATED the focus of the movie was more about the guy, rather than the dog.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 5:59 PM
I didn't know there was a movie! :shocker!: Not sure I wan't to see it now though, given the focus. :wtf:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-16 11:57 AM
barneyson#3 and I blubbered on the couch while watching it. but I do agree, that they skip so much of the dog's story from the book to focus on the human - you miss a lot of background.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-16 5:08 PM
Well since we know the backstory from the pooches' point of view from the book, we'll probably watch it and blubber too.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-08-19 11:50 AM
I saw the movie, but I don't remember it that way.  I read the book so I could say I read it before the movie. Loved the book. Liked the move.  They did leave some parts out though.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-22 8:20 AM
read a dog's purpose years ago so will definitely have to get A Dog's Journey
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-10 8:57 PM
Jazzy....just finished A Dog's Journey this evening....I really enjoyed it.  I have already read A Dog's Purpose......have you read any other of Cameron's books?  :hug::hug:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 3:39 AM
North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail by Scott Jurek, w/ Jenny Jurek.  (I want to give Jenny her due here, as I find her contributions just as awesome as his, so far.)  Only three chapters in, but loving this, not so much for the running stuff, which is just getting started, but his, and her, openness about the mental and emotional challenges he was facing in the months leading up to this adventure, and how she supported as well as challenged him.  (Confession: I'm a bit envious of him, having someone like her in his corner.)

Two John Piper books: A Hunger for God: Desiring God through Fasting and Prayer and When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy: the latter read inspired by my brother who is fighting stage IV colon cancer that has spread to his liver.  He has been getting treatment in Mexico and listened to a 6-part series of sermons based on this book as he drove there his last trip.  I tried listening/watching on YouTube, but my mind kept wandering, so I got the book and read it.  Piper's a tough read for me as I keep wanting to argue with him, but I've found both books worthwhile.  I have a desire to fast, but I'm not sure how I'll incorporate it into my running agenda. 

Also, started The Gift, by Pete Hamill.  It's good, but I'm not into it. 

Haven't reopened How to Change Your Mind and doubt I'll finish it.  I got what I needed, I think.  Also, my fascination with all things Kierkegaard appears to be waning for the moment.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-14 8:57 AM
I'm glad that you're enjoying North. I thought that it was great.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-14 1:26 PM
The further I read, the more I like it.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-08-14 12:21 PM
Glad I saw this.  It reminds me to put North on my wish list.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-14 6:01 PM Edited 2018-08-14 6:08 PM
North now is on my list as well.

eta just ordered it. :cool:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:40 PM
I am sorry about your brother's situation.

You might try Everything Happens For a Reason: And Other Lies I've Loved by Kate Bowler. She is a divinity student, mother of a toddler, and has stage 4 colon cancer. Her book is funny and touching at the same time -- I picked it up at the library and very much enjoyed it.

Fasting is doable whilst training but I don't recommend it when you're actually racing/doing endurance events. You need the fuel.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-15 5:17 AM
Thanks for the recommendation.  I love the title.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-08-16 4:23 PM
NYTimes has run some articles by her as well. I enjoy her theology, in particular, and suspect Arimathea does as well-we're both into the Anglican stuff.:wink:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-17 12:02 PM
Are either of you fans of N.T. Wright?
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-24 10:17 AM
I finished Ms Bowler's book yesterday morning.  I loved reading about her story, even though it made me a bit moody and introspective.  I love her style of writing: She jumps around chronologically but makes it work and I never felt confused.  Having said all that, I never got the sense that she really addressed the topic of the title, at least not clearly enough for me to know absolutely a) were these "lies?" and b) why do these things happen? 

Guess I'm still looking for answers of my own...
- - By george [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:14 AM
I'm almost done with Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's extremely interesting speculative evolutionary science fiction.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-08-16 11:01 AM
Had that at the library on hold but couldn't pick it up before my hold was up. May have to put it back on the list.
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:42 PM
Built: The Hidden Stories Behind Our Structures by Roma Agrawal.

An engineer who can write! I really enjoyed this book, and I am about as far from an engineer as one can get.
- - By oitsubob [us] Date 2018-08-16 10:12 AM
Finished reading "The 1899 and 1907 Hague Conventions of War." Not the most thrilling read but when you need to know it for your thesis you don't have much choice. If you are having a difficult time falling to sleep, I highly recommend this read!:laugh:
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2018-08-16 2:46 PM
Question --have any individuals or nation ever been " punished " for violating those conventions . If so, please elaborate .
Parent - By oitsubob [us] Date 2018-08-16 3:22 PM
Technically they were the foundation for the Nuremberg charges after WW2. Following WW1 the US tried to convince France and Britain to level charges against the Kaiser etc. to no avail.
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-17 11:51 AM
Healthy Intelligent Training: The Proven Principles of Arthur Lydiard by Keith Livingstone - I'm having a difficult time staying focused as he lays out the terminology and basic philosophy.  It's not the writing, it's my lousy attention span for this kind of material.  I believe that higher mileage training weeks would beneft me in races, so I suppose I'm hoping to find ideas and inspiration in reading this.

Started A Dog's Purpose today also.
- By Tommeke Date 2018-08-21 11:57 AM
I'd love to read "The Short-Timers" by Gustav Hasford, which is the book the movie "Full Metal Jacket" is based on.
Unfortunately it's out of print and used copies go > 60$ because it's out of print :meh:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-22 7:43 AM
A Dog's Purpose is really good, but I can't say I'm enjoying it.  The emotional swings are getting to me.  I will say Layla is getting lots more belly rubs, scratches behind her ears, and hugs the last couple of days. :laugh:

Everything Happens for A Reason: and Other Lies I've Loved is really depressing so far - I'm in the middle of the chapter "Surrender"  - but her story confirms some thoughts I've been entertaining for several years now, but rarely admit to having publicly.

Eat and Run - S. Jurek.  Just getting started.  I've been led to believe this is just a "food" book, so I'm looking forward to it.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-22 8:25 AM
Cool...Im going to order A Dog's Purpose today.

I heard a podcast with Scott Jurek and he recommended a book called "Bone Games".  It wasn't very good but I have been thinking of getting his own books so I'm curious to find out what you think
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-22 12:58 PM
North was really, really good.  One of the best books I've read.  I'm envious of the dynamic he and his wife have.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-22 1:06 PM
Yeah I can listen to Scott all day.  I'm not anti zen and all that but "Bone Games" was along those lines and with all due respect to the author I think most of us could have written most of the book.

I watched a documentary of Badwater and it was cool watching him struggle and how Jenny got him up and running when he was baked. :hug:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-22 4:17 PM
Agreed. I REALLY liked North.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-08-27 11:16 AM
I have North in my audiobook wish list, but do you guys think it'd be better to buy a paper copy of the book for the maps?  I absolutely love poring over maps.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-27 7:05 PM
The copy that I read didn’t have detailed maps.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-22 5:25 PM
From my vantage point, I've always loved and been envious of the dynamic you and L have. I'll be interested to see what Jurek has.

My amazon order came in, including North. :cool: But first I've started The Art of Racing in the Rain which is pretty gripping and of course my needed dog book in between the political/historical/social stuff. :laugh: I'll probably read one of the political books I have waiting after The Art, before reading North to cleanse my soul again. :wink: Interspersing/alternating impure and pure things isn't a bad reading strategy and I may keep it up.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-22 6:10 PM
This interspersing/aternating thing sounds like a good plan.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-28 5:08 PM
I'm reading Everything Trump Touches Dies...A Republican Strategist Get Real About the Worst President Ever by Rick Wilson at the moment, about halfway through. He pulls no punches against anyone who deserves it (pretty much everyone :laugh:) but does so with great insights and a wicked wit. :cool: This book is making me laugh a lot despite the really depressing reality, so I may not need to intersperse anything before taking on Omarosa's book next...mrs. flamus just finished it.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-29 7:15 AM
Have you read the recent NYT article by a long time Republican (forgetting is name), the subtitle is something like "Everything Trump touches rots."  I haven't yet, but that article and now this book are on my list.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-29 5:58 PM Edited 2018-08-29 6:10 PM
I haven't, but just did find the article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/25/opinion/sunday/corruption-donald-trump.html

I'll read it now before heading back into Rick Wilson's book...of course Wilson is a hardcore conservative Republican too. I suspect that Peter Wehner's subtitle for his article Everyone and everything he touches rots is a takeoff on Wilson's subtitle and maybe I'll learn about that in a sec when I read the article.

eta It's a good article. Wehner's article doesn't have any connection to Wilson's book at all, but rather deals with moral and ethical leadership instead of the politics, policy, people and plain insanity about which Wilson talks about. Both are well-worth reading and the article is pretty short but makes its point really well.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-22 8:27 AM
The Autobiography of Malcolm X I have thought about reading this book for years.  I just got it yesterday and read the forward and introduction and then the first few pages.  Seems like a real classic  :hug:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-22 5:27 PM
I should read that too. Like you, I've meant to read it for years.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-22 6:19 PM
I'll let you know.  You know sometimes you start a famous book and wonder what is the big deal.....but this one gripped me early.  :hug:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-28 1:57 PM
Eat and Run has been a great read thus far.

Started Unlikeable: The Problem with Hillary by Ezra Klein.  I was spending time at the library browsing the biography section and this looked interesting.  I'm a third of the way through already, and though it seems pretty one-sided, it holds my interest.

The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham.  This will take some time and stamina, but if it's as good as the others I've read by him, it will be worth it.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-08-28 4:14 PM
Seems like the Ezra Klein book could've been better titled Likeable Enough.  That's the closest Obama ever came to being uncivil.  Ah, man.  Those were the days!:sad:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-29 7:13 AM
Is Ezra Klein someone I should take seriously, even with a grain of salt?  I've read several reviews on Amazon, but they all seem to be from members of the choir.  If I ever meet Jon Meacham, I'm going to ask him to consider writing the "definitive" biography about HRC, though I wonder if the source material necessary would ever be available for a truly unbiased researcher.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-29 12:33 PM
Just realized the author is Edward Klein, not Ezra.  :roll: :wtf:

According to Wikipedia, one of his previous works was heavily criticized for innaccuracies and factual errors.
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-08-28 6:23 PM
Done with "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. Great and well written book. This dude knows how to write, that's for sure. A lot of well formed social criticism. Will probably read the other books in that "loose" trilogy ("American Pastoral" and "I married a communist").

Now I'm back to Kurt Vonnegut with "Slapstick". Another absurd story by him but I like his style.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-08-29 11:30 AM
American Pastoral was brilliant.  His best book, IMO, at least of the ones I've read.  I think I Married A Communist was the weakest in the trilogy.  Still worth reading, though!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / August Book Club