Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Beginners / Teaching Tuesday RTTs
- - By spiritbear [us] Date 2018-08-07 5:39 AM
Good morning people! :grin:
Parent - - By spiritbear [us] Date 2018-08-07 5:49 AM
--First solo teaching gig today. :grin: It’s an “indirect” arrangement so not a whole lot of preparation other than having a display and passing out corresponding informational handouts. Will also being giving kids a free giveaway. We have water bottles, frisbees, pencils, etc.

--Hoping to network. The agency I’m doing the Back to School Fair for also does a monthly food pantry/distribution. My understanding is it is an all day event, every month. That would be a very easy way to get a lot of easy hours in that count toward my teaching time.

--Meeting with the coordinator of the church food pantry in Aurora later this afternoon. Hoping to get a few different things set up there.

--My mom’s surprise birthday went well. We had a little bit of a glitch because she was outside when I got there and I couldn’t get her in the house. My brother and River pulled up but River hid in the truck and my brother came in to shoot the shit like he had no idea what was going on. My mom didn’t notice the rental car driving by slowly (as I’m texting my sister to stay away!) with the rest of the gang inside. Once we got my mom in the house everyone else showed up and were waiting outside to surprise her. :hug:

--I broke the #7 candle in two when I was trying to get it out of the package but I was able to carefully arrange it on the cake so you couldn’t tell. When my mom blew out the candle the 7 broke in two. No one knew it was broken previously so it made for a really good laugh. :laugh:

--My sister is in hysterics over Gavin’s mustache. I sent her pictures before so I don’t know why she’s so surprised. Maybe it’s just more pervy in person. :laugh:
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 5:57 AM
I'm glad the surprise went well. The pics looked fun! Such a great thing for y'all to do for your mom. :hug:
Parent - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-08-07 5:59 AM
Party looked great! New job seems to be keeping you really busy
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:20 AM
Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!  How would the food pantry count as teaching hours? Is it because people come to volunteer and you would help manage them?

Glad the surprise worked out despite some glitches

Who is Gavin? Is that your brother's name?
Parent - - By spiritbear [us] Date 2018-08-07 12:23 PM
Gavin is my nephew.

I can do a number of things at the pantry. It’s held in a church that has complete facilities so I could do some nutrition/cooking classes which would count toward direct teaching hours. I’m hoping to also hang a nutritional display with some corresponding handouts. We are required to have one out at all times somewhere and to switch out monthly. I can also set up a table with a display and information during their food distribution time and get indirect teaching hours there. I would rather them let me set up during there and fulfill my SNAP requirements. Since we are funded by SNAP we have to be available 4 hours per week to assist with food stamp applications. We can do that about anywhere. This would be a good place since I would have a large "food insecure" audience.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 1:35 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 6:51 AM
I'm glad the party went well.  That's too funny about the candle.  :laugh:
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 5:55 AM
Good morning!

We got up at five. Did yoga and I actually cooked breakfast - as in bacon, eggs, and biscuits:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::hug::hug::hug: It was awesome. But now I've just gotten to work and I'm ready for a nap.

I'm also ready to feel like a runner again. Every time I run it is just so UGH!:roll::shocker!:

The nutritionist was very enlightening. She gave me tons of info and reminded me of things I used to do when I was losing weight. We talked specifically and pcos and thyroid stuff. She has experience with PCOS and adrenal fatigue so she understands the eternal hormone circle of hell that can happen. My two goals this week are to eat breakfast every day and to add protein to all meals. I'm bad about skipping protein. Even in my salads. And I eat a lot of salads.

Air conditioner is still out. They didn't call yesterday. So I'm calling again at 8:30 and hoping I'll be early on the list. While I was enjoying it for a while, I'm over it and want my ac back on. Ahorrita!!!!!!!! NOW!

Time to register and pay for another accounting class. :roll:

And soccer registration is upon me. Yay me. :roll:
Parent - - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-08-07 5:59 AM
AC out is horrible! I wouldn't be able to survive
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:01 AM
Yeah, i'm ready to get er done. I'm sticky at work because the AC can't keep up. But it is 78 or so but less humid, but at home, outside is better because there is movement. I have all the fans on (only 3) and two windows open with the attic fan on and then I leave the kitchen and front doors open to get the air moving. Then, and only then is it liveable, but I can't sleep with it all open, so yeah, it is very oppressive.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:21 AM
still no A/C?!?!?

I'd like to meet with a nutritionist some day but the reality is I know I wouldn't do what I was supposed to. I've gone down such a bad eating path I can't seem to get back on
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:29 AM
I'm glad I went. I need help breaking out of a rut.
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 6:53 AM
I'm glad meeting with the nutritionist helped. 

I hope the AC gets fixed today!  I would be so miserable.  :cry:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:08 AM
Hey all, I've been MIA for a while. Busy work + working from home = no forum time. For some reason I never think to check in when I'm working from home.

B's 1st day at the new daycare went well. B's 2nd day drop off did not. I heard him still screaming as I walked down the hall :sad: He also slept terribly and has a cold so that doesn't help either.

Spent yesterday volunteering at the consignment sale. Shed some light on the way things are when I shop and gives you a whole new perspective on how it is done. And made me hate people even more when they drop off their dirty toys to sell. Like seriously wipe that shit down no one wants to buy dirty stuff :roll:  They have an inspection process for clothes but not toys.

Volunteering means I get early shopping access. Except I have a work happy hour from 4-5 to celebrate my 5 year anniversary and 2 others' so I can't go.

Tried to look nicer today but it is pouring rain and my shoes and jeans are soaked and my hair looks awful now.
Parent - - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:10 AM
Pouring rain here too when I came in. Didn't mess my hair though : pbbt:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:17 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 6:54 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:30 AM
Consignment sale mom! Welcome to the club:wink::laugh::laugh:

B looks so big in those photos!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:33 AM
that photo was misleading, the way he was leaning made him look like he was 3 :laugh:

This may be my one and only consignment sale lol. Too much work, especially when it isn't my stuff! Although the tags stay in the system for 2 years so depending on how much comes home I might tell my bro if he can store it all ready to go until the spring sale I'll enter it and any new stuff again. I had around 250 items, I can't imagine the work for more than that.
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 6:56 AM
:cry: on the day care drop off today.  Hopefully he calmed down as soon as you left.  That had to be rough.  :hug:
Parent - By spiritbear [us] Date 2018-08-07 12:25 PM
i’ve given up trying to look nicer. Seems whenever I’m in a rush and no time to do hair and makeup is when I look the best. :laugh:
Parent - - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:09 AM
~Once again going through a long stretch of not running. Either I'm too busy or too worn out or both. I just can't find the right balance and consistency.

~Went to a little town in NE for their Czech Festival. It was pretty fun. Ate a lot of traditional food I normally wouldn't touch.  (Liver Dumplin Soup and Blood Sausage ).  We picked up a hand full of Xmas presents even

~XC started Monday at midnight. Kids seemed to have fun

~Parent meeting last night

~Busy freaking week though. Timing a 5K tomorrow night at 7. Timing a race we are directing for the local Firefighter's Memorial on Saturday. God I'm tired of people who don't "get it". Bitching that they still can't get a T Shirt. Don't care or understand that they had to be ordered in advance. Bitching that volunteers don't get finisher's medals. Seriously???

~Nasty T-Storms rolled through in the middle of the night. Lots of trees down. Lots of power lines down.

~Headache again this morning

~Evening XC practices this week and half of next before we move to the normal 3:30-5:30 time

~Kids missing practice :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:

~Crime really getting out of control lately.  Multiple shootings every night. Stolen cars and hit and runs. Freaking Meth.
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:33 AM
Since when do volunteers get medals??? :shocker!::mutmad:

The czech festival looked fun!

I hope your head feels better soon!:hug:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:34 AM
I'm glad you czech-ed out the festival : pbbt:

volunteers don't get medals? What?!?!
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 6:58 AM
Dude, if I had your schedule I wouldn't be able to run consistently either.  I don't know how you do it, you are super busy.
Parent - By spiritbear [us] Date 2018-08-07 12:26 PM
Blood sausage is disgusting. They served that in every B&B I stayed at in Ireland. I couldn’t stomach the stuff. :cry:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:17 AM Edited 2018-08-07 6:22 AM
Oh yea and I don't think I ever shared my daycare drama in finding a new place with B's daycare closing last Friday. So I had decided on place A back in May when I thought his was closing (location was good, it was the cheapest alternative offer, and seemed like an ok place). When it actually happened I contacted them and they had 1 spot open so I put down a deposit that Thursday. Right after that his current teachers kept talking about place B (which is super fancy) and saying they were price matching, other kids were going there, some teachers, etc but I blew it off bc I didn't want to have to decide since I'd just put $$ down.

Last Tuesday we went to an ice cream social at Place A thinking it would be good for B to check it out. When he went to the gym to play w/ some kids one kid was super aggressive hitting, stealing, bullying kids and the teacher didn't do much. i mean she tried but the kid clearly doesn't listen and seemed disruptive. M wasn't pleased and when I went in to his regular daycare they kept bugging me about checking out Place B and after the notsogreat ice cream day I went on Thursday and the place is amazing. I want to go there there's so much to do. But it's soooooooooo pricey, as in $500 more per month than I had been paying. But I'd heard they were doing discounts for those of us from the closed place and they did and it ended up being about $22/week more than I pay now but $22/week less than I was going to be paying at Place A. Signed up that night (just a verbal agreement to then bring in paperwork Friday).

Friday I called Place A to be like yea sorry changed my mind, didn't like XYZ and am able to get him in somewhere with his current teachers. The lady was super crappy and was like well you owe us 2 weeks of tuition per our cancellation policy and I'm like but he hasn't even started yet, we paid a deposit to hold his spot and I understand losing that but not being charged 2 weeks. So I'm freaking out thinking oh great I'm now pissing away close to $800 to a place he will never attend while trying to figure out ways to fight the 2 weeks' tuition if they wouldn't budge or have to consider sending him there 2 weeks, then switching, which would have a host of problems too. Luckily I got an email later saying they would waive the 2 weeks' thing and I'm sure I burned that bridge so let's hope he doesn't need to attend there ever again :blush:

I know I made the right decision bc I'd been feeling anxious over the other place and when I decided to go with Place B I felt at peace for the first time in a couple weeks so that was good
Parent - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:20 AM
You definitely made the right choice!
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:31 AM
Good job with your decision. :cool: It can be so stressful!
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 7:01 AM
Just from the reaction you got when you contacted them, I think burning the bridge at place A is ok.  :wink:  What a stressful time!
Parent - - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 6:50 AM
*It was a great weekend, but as expected, it went by so fast. 

*Marie went back to school yesterday.  After having everyone home it is especially quiet now that we are down to just 2 kids again. 

*I got a notice for jury duty.  The day before my Mom's surgery.  :mutmad::cry:  I really, really hope it gets delayed.

*Super foggy here this morning.  It's not making me want to conquer the day or anything.  : pbbt:

*Bill got me an animal encounter for my birthday.  I'll get to help wash an elephant and feed a giraffe at an animal sanctuary.  :cool: 

*The kids got me tickets to a Chicago Fire game.  :cool:  It's been years since I've been to a soccer game.  That will be fun.  It was their first grown up group gift.  It was well thought out and I love it, but I'll miss the homemade cards from their youth.  :hug:
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:53 AM
Very cool birthday present!

Chicago Fire - Go Soccer! When is the game? Who are they playing?
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 7:02 AM
September 16 vs Orlando City. 

I used to know all the player and really follow MLS.  But that was back when there were only 6-8 teams.  :blush::laugh:
Parent - - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:56 AM
That is the coolest bday present ever!
Parent - - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 7:05 AM
I can't wait!  :grin:  We saw a feature about it on the news.  I never even knew there was an animal sanctuary in Indiana.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 11:56 AM
is it the place by Terre Haute?
Parent - - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 1:00 PM
It’s Wilstem. It’s about 4-5 hours south of here. I think it’s south of Bloomington.  :wtf:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 1:38 PM
never heard of it, looks like it is by French Lick/Paoli area so you could spend some time checking out French Lick and West Baden hotels if you haven't been there before (or at least the last 15 or so years when West Baden was complete).  Or head on down to Holiday World for some rides :laugh:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 7:23 AM
that sounds like such a cool gift, I'd love to do something like that.

Jury duty :cry:  Hopefully it is just a 1 day thing or you can play the caregiver card
Parent - - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 7:27 AM
That was my hope as well, that it would be 1 day. But I discovered what case it’s for, with very little googling, and it’s pretty high profile, unfortunately. :cry:
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 9:10 AM
:cry:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2018-08-07 11:17 AM
There should be a number you can call for jury duty or a website - most places will let you delay once without even asking for a reason.
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-08-07 1:02 PM
Thanks. I have a number to call to check the status on Friday but it says it only has a recording. I will check into it further.

This far out, my mom could also choose to reschedule. But I don’t see that happening.  :meh:
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-07 8:20 AM
Am I the only who who completely loses their S&%$ when Outlook tasks or calendars have an unread number next to them and then you can't freaking find anything unread to get rid of the damned number?????????????:mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:

I think I got madder as I typed this. omg i am so frustrated by this and I'm frustrated that I'm frustrated by this. wth
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 9:10 AM
I get that sometimes, usually with the junk mail folder even if I deleted everything. Maybe restart or at least shut down Outlook and it should go away?
Up Topic Communities / Beginners / Teaching Tuesday RTTs