Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Opinion on HIStory
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-08-06 5:53 PM
The ninth album by Michael Jackson released in '95 contained two discs: The first one a collection of his greatest hits and the second disc new material.

This albums comes after troubled times for Michael. First album after his child sexual abuse accusations, for which he was never charged.
He often had issues with Fake News and equally he was no "Stranger In Moscow".
Lots of his songs are (in)direct references to these troubles.

For me personally this album came in a period were alternative rock and rap had taken over and long after MJ was still considered "cool" in the music scene.
However, the album, singles and World Tour were still a big success.

Looking back it still produced some good classic MJ songs (Stranger in Moscow one of my favorites) and the last Tour MJ ever did.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-06 8:00 PM
The Foo Fighters formed as a band in '94 so I must have missed this Mike Jackson guy you speak of in '95 :hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-06 8:47 PM
:laugh:

I had NO idea that Foo Fighters formed in '94!:shocker!:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-08-07 4:12 AM
I totally missed it too, but just thought about the spoofing potential : pbbt:

in '94 the Foo Fighters where Dave Grohl on the mic, Dave Grohl on the guitar, Dave Grohl on the bass and Dave Grohl on the drums :wtf::laugh:

For some reason I never really got into the Foo Fighters either. They just sound too poppy to me. But again, when you check them out on youtube, their 10-15 most popular songs are just songs everyone knows and are good songs too.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-07 8:30 AM
I've got another to confession to make...they have a wide range of music but I wouldn't call much of it poppy.  Were you born to resist or be abused?  This is "letters and opinions" so likely I was getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you :hug:

PS:  Sometimes the popular songs tend to be more mainstream but to those of us with impeccable taste in great music we see the gems beyond the hits :hug:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-08-07 11:04 AM
That is true. As a matter of fact my opinion on their latest albums is that they make it sound "too hard", like they're just pounding on their instruments.
My favorite Metallica songs for examples are none of the popular one, although I love those too.

I have a lot of respect for the Foo Fighters though, they've been on top for 20 years, they truly deserve to be the biggest band in the world.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-07 11:21 AM
Yeah it is kind of loud in parts where it doesn't need to be but still I love most of it...."The Line" is vintage FF....loud-ish and flows like sweet honey  :hug:

I just read "This Is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl"...I bought it a couple of years ago but never got around to reading it because the reviews seemed to be lousy.
Anyway, I was sort of out of books I wanted to read and gave this one a try.  I thought it was great.  I just finished it yesterday.  I just like the path/route he took from punk
through to Nirvana.  I know basically everything after that but it was good to read anyway.  :hug:
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-06 8:46 PM
I never was a huge MJ fan although my mom certainly was, especially for his dancing. I was a sort-of fan, and considered him "cool" in the music scene. Thriller was maybe the best music video ever made although Billie Jean was close, and I enjoyed much of his music and performances (never saw him live). But I never paid much attention to the tabloid stuff, and certainly never saw a Moscow connection or other "troubles" in that regard. His probable pedo stuff sure, but I didn't pay attention to anything else besides his talent.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-08-07 4:06 AM
"Stranger in Moscow" is a song on that album :wink:

I really liked him as a kid in the 80s, but once I hit my teens and the 90s I was more into Hard Rock music and his new music was a bit too bland.
He was still huge though but obviously when you're at your peak the only way is down, especially with all the rumors surrounding him.

In '97 I had a friend who could get free tickets to the U2 concert and the MJ concert. We said, ok we''ll go to U2 (even if it wasn't really our thing either at the time) and we kind of laughed the MJ concert away (they'd have to pay me to go see that one : pbbt:). Now looking at youtube clips he still had great performances during that tour.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Opinion on HIStory