Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / I'm back! Monday Dailies
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 8:36 AM
Did anyone even notice? : pbbt:
We had a wonderful Colorado vacation! Not much running but I did do one legit trail run. That was fun! :hug:

What's your workout today?
If you have kids, when do they start school?
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:33 AM
6.1 hot and humid miles with 2.1 barefoot miles with strides on grass in the middle.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 2:52 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-06 11:54 AM
welcome back!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 12:55 PM
Welcome back! I bet it's hard coming back to the humidity! :cry:
It is!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-08-06 12:57 PM
I am sorry, but I did not notice you were gone. Then again, I was gone too.

Anyway, back home from Iceland and the land of funny looking words and letters.

No run today as my lawn needs to be mown something fierce. I did make it to the planet of fitness at lunch for strength and stretching. I needed that. I have not run for a week as we just hiked in Iceland, other than a few short spurts of running coming down off the pass during our hike on Friday. Beautiful trip, only had really one Icelandic weather day and it was sort of the perfect time for it to happen (near the top of an open volcanic pass on a hike up between glaciers). I will get my act together sometime perhaps and post a trip report and photos.

In the meantime, here is one of yours truly near the glacier at Skaftafell.
:hug::hug: I bet that was so much fun! Jealous!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-08-06 8:07 PM
:cool:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-06 5:07 PM
Welcome back and it's awesome that you got in a legit trail run! :grin:

Here it was a bit of brutality with 5.5 miles in the tropics at lunchtime, then leaving work early to cut the grass in even worse tropical conditions. I'm pretty cooked but a cold IPA is bringing me back to life. :happy:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 8:36 AM
3.3 miles while my kids slept :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:42 AM
That is the best time to run!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-08-06 10:07 AM
Nice!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-08-06 6:51 PM
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:28 AM
Welcome back!

My workout was teaching spin class and doing core, hip & shoulder exercises afterwards.

It's been a long time since my kids were in school!  Schools around here open Wed. after Labor Day, so Sept. 5...I think :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:55 AM
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 12:57 PM
It will seem really weird someday when we don't know when school begins :laugh:

Core and hip exercises. The necessity for every aging runner.  I think I'm up to 684 exercises and stretches every morning. : pbbt:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-06 5:10 PM
Even former runners with new hips :laugh:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 2:53 PM
Wow, that's late! We start on Monday. :grin:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-06 3:43 PM
we never started until after labor day when I was a kid either
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:45 PM
Same here. I feel like it gets earlier and earlier. When Jack started K, it was August 8. :shocker!:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-06 5:10 PM
It's a northern thing :laugh:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 9:47 AM
I did very little today.   My calf seized up Sunday and limping around made my knee hurt :meh:  I did some abs, but that was about it.   Hopefully, tomorrow I will be back on track.

DH is a teacher and went back on the 1st.  DS2 starts gov school (dual enrollment stuff for first ½ day) on the 8th and then regular city school (2nd half day) on the 9th.  The gov school is regional and on the county schedule, hence the difference.  And this semester, the regular school is on semester block – and both of his afternoon classes are online.   Things are so much more complicated nowadays.   DS1 doesn’t start school until the beginning of Sept!  They are super late.

The contractor started the installation on our boiler this morning.  Yay and :cry:  We may also replace the water heater while we are at it.  It wasn’t new when we moved in, and we’ve been here 12 years.  It still does it’s job, but not quite as well…
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:59 AM
It is frustrating when one thing (like the calf) makes something else (like the knee) hurt as well.  Hope it all shakes itself out!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 12:58 PM
My body is like playing whack a mole. Fix one thing, another pops up...
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:46 PM
Yikes on the calf. I got some calf seizing in Colorado. Maybe it was all the climbing? :happy:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:49 AM Edited 2018-08-06 9:57 AM
4 miles tempo-y today.....felt good to push the pace a tiny bit and that distance as this weekend included two death marches of 19 & 10.  Will go to boxing tonight.

First two-kid-in-college semester and I am not really sure what DATE they start, just that they start the end of August sometime.  Blazergirl is moving back to school today as she is an officer in an organization and she has stuff to do before everyone gets back on campus.  This year, she is sharing a house with two friends......I have met neither......but each of those girls have a dog, so they must be good people!:laugh:  We move the boy into his dorm on August 24th.  The pile of crap he needs is piled on my dining room table, but boys don't seem to need as much as girls need.  And since he will have a community bath, that is even less stuff buy.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 12:59 PM
Ugh on the death March. I remember that feeling well.

This summer Steven lived with a guy and a girl. How times change. :laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:46 PM
:grin::grin: Wow, the empty nest is upon you!
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-06 10:19 AM
I noticed! Welcome back - glad you had a fun vacation :cool:

4 steamy miles this morning - I wore capris because they were easy to grab, should have gone with shorts.

saw 15 walkers, 3 runners, 5 dogs and 2 cyclists.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 1:00 PM
Eesh! Capris?! Yeah, I'm sure you'll be doing shorts next time.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:47 PM
Oh girl! Capris?

I'm glad you had a good trip !!! So many miles! :grin:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-06 11:12 AM
13km with Molly up a steep logging road and we found 25 cents.  The out was tough....the back was awesome....lots of little creeks to cool off in....lots of bear poop but nothing too fresh.

Puppy school starts Oct 8th but it home schooling :hug:

oh and of course you were missed :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 1:00 PM
Better seeing bear poop than the bear!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-06 4:53 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:47 PM
:cool::cool: sounds awesome
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-06 4:53 PM
It was awesome but it was only a Canadian quarter:hug:
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2018-08-06 4:48 PM
How were the bugs ?  I've been running the roads lately.   I was on the trails and had a deer fly swarm that was having a field day torturing me.  I did come up with a concept for an anti-deerfly hat attachment.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-06 5:02 PM
We just went through a really big mosquito period but it's been dry lately so those bastards have only been around at night (and I'm old and go to bed early so it rarely affects me...except Saturday evening when I had to change a flat tire....but anyway I digress).  So today we got just beyond 6.5km up the road and there was a little stream/brook thingee so Molly got some time there and it took a moment to realize I was getting bitten by a few skeeters.  Other than that the horseflies haven't been a problem yet.

My non-running dog Milo was bitten indoors by something on his ear Friday night.  His side of his face was all swollen by the morning but it has thankfully improved and only his ear has some swelling.  It might have been a horsefly but I'm not sure.  I have bees but they rarely lose their way and come inside and they are gentle little girls.  So maybe a spider?

But back to deerfly hat attachment.....we never get them too bad.  I've watched them buzz around Molly especillay after she has been in water and follows her for a kilometre/ 1/2 mile or so...tenacious little buggers!
They hurt too when they bite/sting.  :hug:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-06 11:51 AM
Track workout later this evening.

The main group is doing 600’s but I will join a friend who is training for a half and her workout is 4 x 1.5 mile @ HM pace. It’s going to be hot as heck so we’ll see what that pace ends up.

We have 3 kids who will be going back to school, but they are on the other side of the desk. : pbbt:

The oldest starts back this week in Omaha teaching high school chorus. This is her second year out there so has a better idea of what is going on. The middle one is in her third year teaching Spanish at a local middle school. She has been with the 6th graders all 3 years but the administration wants her to move up to 7th next year. The youngest will be teaching at a new school this year. He will be teaching chorus at a new middle school in the district where all of our kids attended school. We’re digging out some of his old high school stuff so he can decorate his office. The game ball he received during his senior year from the rugby team will be a cool item for him to display.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 1:02 PM
Do they enjoy teaching? We can't keep teachers here. Many don't last more than a few weeks. :sad:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-06 2:04 PM
There are some frustrations at times, but they all seem to enjoy it at this point. The youngest is moving to a new school because his previous school was wanting him to split his day between 2 schools that were 30 minutes apart.

They are fortunate to be working in pretty good school districts and that makes it a bit easier, but even in those schools they are losing many teachers every year.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 6:00 PM
That is good. It's a hard profession for sure. My DS1 went back this afternoon for open house to say hi to former teachers and just told me that there are only 4 left still there. He graduated in 2016!!!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:47 PM
That's cool that all three of yours are teachers! :grin:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-06 11:54 AM
workout was 5.something on the Treadmill. I had a 6am call and when I finished DH was gone, so TM it was. I need to start trying to run a little faster, I am so slow right now.

school starts two weeks from today, August 20.  I can't wait to get back to a regular schedule. We have started waking N up earlier to ease her into it. Her school day starts at 8 and she takes a bus across town so she needs to be up around 6. Last week she was sleeping past 8 so we have some work to do there
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-06 1:03 PM
Benefit of having older kids. They just have to learn the hard way. I keep telling DS2 to start adjusting his routine. He sleeps from ~2am - 10am. 6:30 on Thursday is going to be rough. :evil:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:48 PM
I kind of feel like your slow might be my fast :wink:: pbbt:

I too am ready for a routine. I will miss the kids being here but routine is nice.
- - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-08-06 2:58 PM
Welcome back to a normal altitude and abnormal humidity...

10 miles this morning. Bogey went crazy when we approached a deer. The deer let us get within about 25 feet before it took off. Maybe if the dog calmed down, they could have been friends...

We are in a rather narrow area that is in a severe drought. Only about 10 miles north or south of us and everything is nice and green. The area does extend about 30 miles northeast and 60 miles southwest of us.  But, what this has meant is that this has been a terrific summer for running. Nice, dry air for the most part with dew points in the 60s with them dipping into the 50s a few times. I only remember about 4 days with dew points above 70. :cool:

My kids are older but school around here starts in the middle of August.  I do have a school-related irritation.  I volunteered to help coach Cross-country for a grade school/middle school. I signed up after mass last winter and the coach said he would be in touch.  Since then, I have heard nothing.  I didn't even get the coaches name. The school website has no info about sports at all.  I guess I will call the Principal and ask who I should talk to.  However, I am a bit concerned that if the coach is gone, the Principal will volunteer me to be head coach. :laugh: :meh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-08-06 3:49 PM
Oh yeah, be careful with that!! You may end up being Coach Rob!
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-08-06 4:45 PM
You'll be a great head coach !
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-06 6:36 PM
Coach!!!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-08-06 6:58 PM
Congratulations on your appointment to head coach!  :grin:

Our dog woofed at a deer that was bedded down in our yard.  The deer didn't move.  The dog (remarkably) ran back to DH when he called.  Later the deer moved on to our neighbors yard where it died.  :sad:  Game commission officer thought CWD or  possibly rabies.  Poor thing.  But I'm glad DH got the dog out of there before it could make contact.
- By JimGo1 Date 2018-08-06 4:43 PM
Happy Monday,

It was a holiday so no work today ! Happy New Brunswick Day to everyone :laugh: 

Sure we noticed you were gone.   Sounds like a great trip.   I ran 8 miles in the heat and humidity.  This was my first really good bonk of the year.   There is a huge multi-level hill that leads to my house and it won today.   I had to do the run/walk thing for about half of it.  This weather feels like a good warm Michigan summer so I'm liking it but everyone else is cranky !!!

Oh yeah school starts in early September here.
- By SRoo Date 2018-08-06 6:55 PM
36 miles on the bicycle.  Normal hot and humid weather has returned.  I saw a doe and then spooked up a ruffed grouse.  :cool:

School starts the last week of August.  :sad:  I am not ready.  Neither is the lad.  The dog might be sad, too.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / I'm back! Monday Dailies