Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / August Has Arrived (NRR thread)
- - By swandive Date 2018-08-05 4:44 PM
It's Augusting with a vengeance.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-05 4:50 PM
This is RR, but not worthy of its own thread. :laugh:

What height socks do you wear?  I'm shopping for socks and realized that I strongly prefer quarter crew length for running socks, but no-show/tab socks seem to be much more common.  I don't like getting debris in my socks (who does?), but otherwise I'm not certain why I dislike "short" socks.  Am I weird? :laugh:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-08-05 6:41 PM
You may be weird, but not because of sock height preference.  : pbbt:

The short ones tend to scrunch down into my shoes and irritate my heels.  So I agree with you on that.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-05 7:48 PM
It depends, I like the quarter socks most of the time but have a few short ones I wear too
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-05 8:32 PM
Quarter socks. I don't like the no show ones. My legs feel too naked.

Maybe there's a connection between posting on a running forum and sock height? I'm sensing a research project here...
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-05 9:25 PM
Whatever is on sale when I need new ones. I have both quarter crew and no show ones.

The argument for no shows is that the tan line is less obvious. But Sroo is right, they can slip down and be very annoying.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-05 9:46 PM
I prefer the no-shows. But I wear quarter-socks with gaiters for trail running.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-06 6:44 AM
So you could adopt my so-fashion-forward option - I started wearing wristbands (the terry cloth kind) around my ankles. Keeps the sweat from running in my shoes. Makes it a bit hotter (I could probably get some thinner ones but these were free). I look ridiculous of course. Don't care. Shoes are much less wet after a run.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-06 8:20 AM
Not no-show for the slippage reasons mentioned. Usually mine are just at or below the ankle, tall enough to show outside the shoe but just barely. I do not like the taller socks because  they feel like a strange binding on the calf.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-08-06 9:11 AM
Yes, quarter crew are the best size.  Shorter ones slip down.  Back in the day, they had the no-shows, but then a little pom-pom to keep them up.  Either way, they get annoying.  I have one inch cuffs for running (now for hiking), and 1 or 2 inch for cycling. I keep choosing the 2 inch ones to wear as they stay put better.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:14 PM
I remember the socks with little pompoms! those were a nuisance because after a while I could not find two with the same colour pompom.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-08-17 8:18 PM
Is THAT why they had pompoms?  They were functional?  I had no idea!!  :laugh::laugh::laugh:  I remember those footie socks in the 70s.  I wish I could get some with pompoms these days because those no-show ones also slip down on me and I can't wear them.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-08-20 9:02 AM
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-20 3:44 PM
$4 for a pair of pompom socks? Yikes.

Thanks Jen!
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-06 5:25 PM
I only wear the no-shows.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-05 9:50 PM
Well. Insert [VERY BAD LANGUAGE] <--- here.

I appear to have sprained my MCL tonight at smite practice. Or possibly even sustained a partial tear. It does not feel like a complete tear, and the signs and symptoms do not indicate a full tear, so it's something that will heal on its own, most likely, but I am now looking at maybe anywhere from 2-6 weeks of rest and recovery.

Leg's up and I have ice on the knee. I'll know more tomorrow. :sad::mutmad::sad:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-06 12:20 AM
No way! :cry: maybe it's not as bad as you think? :hug:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:04 AM
I am hoping so, Sticky. The positive is that the knee, while sore, doesn't really hurt that much in terms of the actual injury. And all the pieces-parts are working and moving as they should and it seems a decent bet that at worst this is a partial tear. Hoping for "just a sprain".

No bruising today around the knee, which is also a positive sign. The worst thing is that it's swollen, and the swelling is getting pretty painful. I am alternatiing heat and ice.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-06 6:43 AM
:mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-06 8:21 AM
:cry::mutmad::cry:
So sorry to hear this Zipper. Hope you get some more direction soon and it is on the quicker side to recovery.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-08-06 9:13 AM
:cry::cry::cry: Nooooooo!  I SO hope that it is not as bad as initially feared.  That is a nightmare of mine.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-06 12:24 PM
Okay. Went to Urgent Care and got the knee assessed, got X-rays and they ordered an MRI. (They are part of the same health care system as my orthopedist, so everything they did today will go to his office for my appointment next week.)

I am feeling really relieved because all the signs pointed to an MCL sprain. There may be a partial tear somewhere, but the tendons were all attached; the bones were all fine and the muscles seemed to be in good shape. There was no initial sign of a meniscus tear. There IS a lot of swelling, which the doc says tends to indicate some soft tissue trauma. The MRI will determine if it is anything significant, but basically things look pretty good. Fingers crossed.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-06 3:19 PM
I'm glad you were able to get into urgent care quickly and that things are looking good so far!  Here's to hoping that it's just a sprain.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-08-06 5:08 PM
Sending strong healing vibes again... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>:hug:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-06 5:24 PM
Fingers crossed that it’s just a sprain. I hope you aren’t in too much pain.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-06 5:41 PM
Thanks.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-08 4:55 PM
Ack. Glad you were able to be MRI-ed and signs seem positive relatively speaking. Hoping that the pain is not terribly unbearable.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:16 PM
Noooooooo! Sorry. Hope you do not have a severe tear.

And I am sure you can insert some VBL with a medieval flavor.

BTW, if you haven't read Stirling's Emberverse series, which leans heavily on the smiting group, you may find that series enjoyable.

Sorry about the sprain. Recover quickly. I still want to meet you halfway between our domiciles for a trail run!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-07 11:06 AM
I read the first two books of the Emberverse series and skimmed the third. Stirling kind of irritates me as a writer. He has great ideas, but on certain levels he gets under my skin and I just can't finish his books. Derp. : pbbt:

Yes! Fingers crossed for a run. Eventually. Sorry to keep delaying it with all the stupid injuries. :sad:

BTW, I am seriously re-evaluating whether to keep smiting. I really enjoy it, but I honestly prefer running. If I had to choose one sport, it would be running. I am pondering this while hobbling around.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:43 AM
:mutmad::cry:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:22 AM
I hope your knee is only sprained and heals quickly.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-08-07 6:01 AM
With August comes my son's birthday.  Months ago his GF contacted us and suggested we surprise him with a visit for his birthday.  We thought she should be the surprise, as they live apart and perhaps he would have other ideas for her visit.  But he complained she wasn't coming this summer, and so she said she was and blew the surprise on her end.  So we got to be the unexpected guests.  She flew in the day before, and we mailed a present and flew in on his birthday and planned to meet GF and him at a cafe in town for lunch.  They were delayed as he was opening his gift and taking pictures for us.  We were so excited.  They showed up and he got pretty emotional. :hug::hug:
   So we had lunch and went hiking to this really cool spot which has a cliff overlooking a lake.  Knees handled it.  Found a hiking pole for the harder downhills.  We had to hurry as we had reservations in Seattle for dinner and we weren't able to change them. This gave 4 people 14 minutes to shower and change in a one bathroom apartment.  DS would yell out the remaining minutes every few minutes.  We made it to the reservation only 4 minutes late, mostly due to traffic in the city.  Then walk around, find ice cream.  Walk around, go to a Tiki bar.  Drive home.  Busy, fun day.
  We did a shorter hike the next day as I thought my knees wouldn't work two days in a row, and DS swam in a river and jumped off a couple of large boulders into the river during the hike.  Knees just need poles to handle things better, and the required anti-inflammatories.  So the next hike, I got poles and we went and it was just gorgeous view overlooking Snow Lake.  We had planned to go to the lake and swim, but his GF had cramps and so we headed back after the overlook.   So happy to get to share this week with DS and his GF.  Such a good time.  All total we did two 5-6 mile hikes and 2 that were 2-3 miles long.  Another day we went to Anacortes, but got there too late to make the ferry to San Juan island.  So we kayaked at Deception Pass, which was pretty cool.  Drove back the scenic way via Whidbey Island and got to take a ferry at sunset.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:25 AM
awww that sounds like a great time and great surprise!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:22 AM
Sounds wonderful!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-07 11:08 AM
Nice!!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-08 4:54 PM
That sounds a wonderful time with your son and his GF. So happy for you to be able to enjoy the revised surprise and time together.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-07 6:51 AM
Summer cold/allergies are kicking my butt this past week :cry: Cut my run short this weekend but think I'm finally getting better.

First house building issue (and in the long run a minor thing so we will take it), our house is blue with gray accents or at least 3/4 of it is! The front is a different upgraded siding from different company (I know nothing about siding but I guess this is a big thing). The company shipped wrong front siding and they put it up...the front in beige :shocker!: Both start with a B! Contractor said we could keep it but then laughed at said it looks awful! So until the new comes in the beige/blue/gray house remains :laugh: We've been given an estimated finish of mid September so 5-6 more weeks at my parent's house :meh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-08 4:53 PM
Oh no! What a mistake to have happen, and for them to suggest it be kept! Hope the new siding comes in on schedule... I remember the problems that come up with having a house built and all the stress...
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-08 4:52 PM
Question for those with cats (or who are knowledgable about such things):

What is an appropriate toy for cats who are 1 year old? My neighbour has 2 cats who are about to turn 1 year old and I would like to give them a birthday present. Any ideas on an age-appropriate gift?
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-08 5:20 PM
Go to your local pet store (or the local grocery store).  They'll have cat treats (i.e. snacks) and toys like play mice or toys with catnip.    Those would be good gifts, but you could also give them a cardboard box and they'd be super happy. :laugh:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-08 5:29 PM
but you could also give them a cardboard box and they'd be super happy
:laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-08 5:35 PM
It's true!  They're kinda like small children in that respect, though cats are happier with smaller boxes.  I guarantee you can find at least a million videos of cats and cardboard boxes. :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-09 9:43 AM
When I was about 1 year old my mum was thrilled when I spent hours playing with a cardboard box and did not cause more trouble and exercised some creativity. She was less thrilled when I squarely ignored all the "real" toys that had been purchased for amusement and flung them back in people's faces before returning to the cardboard box. :laugh::blush:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2018-08-09 10:16 AM
You laugh, but a couple of catnip mice, a bag of treats, and a cardboard box - $5 says the cats check out the box first!
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-08-09 12:50 PM
absolutely right.

"if I fits, I sits" - says every cat ever.  :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-09 1:27 PM
:laugh: The box is the plaything that can be almost any toy in the hands (or paws) of the clever user....
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-08-08 9:32 PM
Laser pointer!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-09 9:44 AM
Good idea - I'll look for one
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-08 9:56 PM
Feather on wand toy. Every cat I have met adores them.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-09 9:44 AM
Adding it to the list....
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-09 1:28 PM
It looks wonderful - added to the order.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:26 PM
Waiting to hear how the cats liked their gifties!
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-15 1:14 PM
I'm taking the gifts over this weekend so I'll be sure to update! They are turning 1 year old, siamese both. One is all white except for the tail (lilac point I think) and the other is seal point. Both have the most striking blue eyes and love to explore nearly everything. Wonderful with people.
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-08-14 10:16 AM
I'm not sure I mentioned it, but the job sucks.  Working from home project is great, 2 days a week.  However, several more developers left and now there are only 3 developers in the office!  There is a project that only I am on, and they are not approving any work. They are going to decommission stuff.  So, I have to work 3 days, give status, and attend several meetings.  So, really, it averages to 2-3 hours of real work a week.  In 3 days.  :meh:  I have a huge problem with the ethics of this.  The other project that I sometimes work on has a very poor management, and there is a "ton" of upcoming work.  She really sucks to work for, stops all teamwork, loves to not tell you things, etc,  and is the reason everyone has left.  The fact that no one knows what this alleged upcoming work is going to be is telling.  So, once I am done "burning hours" on the one project, that is the project I'll work on.  So, I interviewed last week, and should get a job offer today.  I have a year and a half to go till I retire, so one would think that I could stay put...but I just can't.  In other words, I read 77 pages (kindle for cloud) of my book at work yesterday.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-14 11:32 AM
That really sucks. :cry:  I hope your job offer comes through.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:26 PM
Hope the job offer comes through. 18 months is too long to be in a job that sucketh mightily.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-15 1:14 PM
Good thoughts on the job offer coming....
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-08-17 8:35 PM
Haven't posted for a little while because my life is pretty planned out by the minute these days...

First week of August, I went to that piano competition.  I came in 3rd overall and also won best Bach, best Mozart, and best Classical Era (for my Haydn Sonata).  Found out I was also considered for best Romantic Era.  I think I did my best performances at this competition so I'm really proud of that, having finally figured out how to relax onstage again.  It helps me to sing Spongebob Squarepants songs offstage right before I go on.

Then the very next day I was back to work for Teacher work week.  Then school began this past Monday.  So pretty much my daily schedule is to practice piano from 7-8 AM, go to work, run or walk (also adding lifting back into my routine because I have the start of old lady arms), cook dinner, and then either clean up dinner or practice a little bit more while DH cleans the kitchen.  This year I am only teaching Middle School because the high school hired a full time choral director.  I am so glad.  It's so much better for everyone (especially the students, who can get more attention, and there are more options at the HS now - I could only teach one period there last year).  My middle schoolers are so adorable.  I just love teaching Music Appreciation (6th & 7th grade) and my 22 eighth graders in Show Choir are so sweet and fun.

Then yesterday DS#2 left for college.  He went last year to community college to figure out what he wanted to study (or more importantly, what he DIDN'T want to study).  He already has his associate's degree in General Studies (did that his jr/sr years of high school) so he's enrolled now at DH and my alma mater as a sophomore, living on campus.  He wasn't taking much stuff with him, so he just drove off by himself as we waved goodbye.  Tomorrow we will go visit him and see his dorm room and bring him a few things that he didn't know he needed (like a fan - there's no A/C and it's been so hot & humid the last few days).

I think that's all that's gone on in the Hay Burner household in August.  Probably ought to get to bed now!
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-18 6:14 AM
Very impressive about your piano!:cool:

I can't believe your #2 is in college.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-18 7:21 AM
Well done with the piano competition! :cool:  Though the image of you singing Spongebob backstage is rather funny. :laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-08-18 1:15 PM
My hearty congrats on your musical honors! Being able to harness the adrenaline was often hard for me when I was performing. I have never heard the Spongebob Squarepants song until I searched it just now. "Porous is he" was a great line. :laugh:
Years ago I taught orchestra and 4-12. One of my favorite groups was 7,8,9. :grin:
Hope your DS#2 has a great year. :happy:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-19 5:45 AM
Congrads on your piano!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-20 3:46 PM
Congratulations on the piano competition!

Busy schedule. Glad DS#2 is figuring out what he wants to do. How about DD, what year is she?
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-21 8:14 AM
Wow, congratulations on your performance and DS #2 heading off to college! :hug::hug:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-08-20 2:40 PM
Looking for some advice.  I took a friend and her son with my oldest and I to an MLS game yesterday.  They're our season tickets; DH and DS2 didn't want to go so I asked her to go with us.  When we arrived, she asked if she could buy me a drink. I said yes.  Got drink, went to our seats.  A few minutes into the game she says "when the kids are hungry, I'll buy their food".  I told her she didn't need to do that, she insisted.  I wasn't about to get into a fight about it, so I stopped.  She got them sodas and pizza.  Later she was taking her son to the team store, and asked if I wanted anything.  I said no, she continued by naming off things she could get me - pretzel, popcorn, chicken fingers, cotton candy.  I said no thanks.  Then she said "if I bring it, you'll eat it, right?"  I said no, actually, I'm not hungry.  I thought I was clear.  I was wrong.  She came back with dippin dots for the boys, a grilled chicken sandwich for herself, and a big bag of popcorn for me.  I wasn't a happy camper.  She knows I'm working to make better food choices, she herself is in the process of making life changes and has lost 30+ pounds.  I ate a few bites of the popcorn, offered her some, offered the boys some, and then put the bag on the floor by our bags.  A few minutes later she picked up the bag and ate some more of it, and made a snide'ish comment about it going to waste.  I ignored her comment.

So now I'm wondering - do I bring it up and say I didn't appreciate her getting me the popcorn, or do I let it go?  It's stupid popcorn after all.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-20 3:48 PM
I would advise letting it go. Take the high road. She offered, you declined, she bought it anyway -- you should not feel guilty about not eating it.

Though it would have been hard to resist making a snarky comment about it going to waste, all right -- HER waist. :mischief:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-21 8:32 AM
This. It is an offer and accepting/declining, not an offer and mandatory acceptance. When she bought the food after you declined, it is on her as to any guilt she feels about it being 'wasted'. If she is that concerned over waste, it would have been prudent to take your decision to decline as your decision and refrain from buying anything extra. She even asked if you would eat something if it were there (even if you did not request something) - you said no. So there could have been no confusion on her part.

It also reminds me of what my grandfather often said about food: one's stomach is not a rubbish bin or skip.  It should not be a dumping receptacle for food.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-08-21 9:56 AM
Let it go. It is just popcorn.  There are food pushers everywhere, and  "no" is a complete sentence.  You don't owe her anything. And talking about it more won't help. Next time she does this, you can say, at the moment-- thank you for the gesture, I'm really full now- why don't you save it for later.  I have one food pusher at work who I take the food from and walk it straight to the compost bin.  It isn't worth fighting her on it.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-26 11:44 AM
T-Bone just keeps raising the bar for "best husband award", y'all. :hug::hug::hug:

You probably saw that my MRI showed stinky bad results: a torn ACL and torn meniscus in my right leg, and I have a high ankle sprain (which feels more like damage to the outer side of my calf than to my ankle). I have surgery scheduled now for Sept. 17. And I'm really scared of being dependent after surgery because I'll likely need my knee immobilized for six weeks. This is a big damn fear for me, to be helpless and useless. It's something that comes from my ugly family dynamics growing up, and something I am addressing in therapy.

Anyway, I brought up my fears with T-Bone, pulled everything out into the daylight, and...he took them seriously. And kindly. Was super-reassuring on an emotional level, and now the practical daily concerns about to cope after the repair don't seem so daunting. We may install a grab bar in the bathroom. I am going to make a bunch of freezable meals beforehand. We have some friends lining up to check on me during the day for the first couple of weeks, et cetera.

He's a good guy. :hug:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-08-26 5:13 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2018-08-26 6:32 PM
I have a couple of questions for the academics & students amongst us...

My assignment is: "read the following paper <insert article details> then briefly summarise the author's main argument and present a case either supporting or refuting his argument drawing on the evidence he uses and the material covered so far in this module"

I need to summarise that into an essay question (OK, I don't *need* to but my standard cover page doesn't work without a title) - I was going to go with "Paper by Author: a critique" but that started me thinking. Is the intent that I outline both supporting AND refuting arguments then select one and say why... or that I decide which side I'm on before starting and only present that argument? The former makes more sense to me but "a case" seems to suggest an either/or scenario.

Thoughts?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-26 9:15 PM
The way I read it you need to summarise his/her argument, then pick whether you agree or disagree and present your case for one side.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-27 8:16 AM
I would read it as asking first for a summary of the author's own main argument. Then you decide whether you'd rather present a case supporting the author's position or refuting it. You then do so, based on the evidence he uses and the material in the module.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-08-27 8:45 AM
Thanks both, that makes sense. A bit different from the usual...which also makes sense as they try to expand our writing skills
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-08-27 9:19 AM
yep, this.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-08-27 8:56 AM
I agree with the other two.  You could email your instructor and ask.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-08-27 12:28 PM
I could...except the class doesn't start until October and I got a bootleg copy : pbbt:
- - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-06 7:46 PM Edited 2018-08-06 7:56 PM
Ok, I'm back to tell the gory details. Blame swamsive and skip the rest of this post if you don't want to hear them. :wink:

I had everything planned out - I worked all the way up until Friday, with tinysticky scheduled as a c section for the Tuesday given the fun times we had getting ministicky extracted the first time around. This was around a week before the due date, and mini was almost two weeks late, so I thought we were pretty safe. We had a fun weekend for Mini, a bit of a last hurrah for him as an only child, and then Monday he went to preschool so DH and I could have a nice leisurely day, have a nice lunch, run some final errands. I hadn't even packed a hospital bag yet - assumed I'd just do it that night. So we dropped off mini, and I went to cross the first item off my list - which was a prenatal massage someone had given me a gift cert for and this was the first - and last - opportunity for me to use it. It was heavenly - my back and gotten quite sore over the weekend. Finished the massage, the MT left the room and I was getting dressed, and then it was all over. My water broke. :cry: I managed to call DH to come pick me up, the hospital who told me to come in, pay for the massage, and run out of there before the little trickle turned into a deluge. We drove straight to the hospital and to delivery suite. I didn't have any contractions at this point, so they were going to wait until it was 6hrs from breakfast before taking me in for the c section. Told DH he had plenty of time so he went home to pack a bag for the baby and me - all I had on was my amniotic pants.
Of course, as soon as he left, I started getting contractions. Not exactly mild. I was thinking maybe I should time them, so was trying to download an app in between them. Meanwhile the Ob saunters in to see if they should take the scheduled patient first or me. No one really bothered checking me, I told her I don't think I'd make it another 1.5hrs, but she didn't seem impressed. I hadn't managed to download the app yet so couldn't tell her how far apart contractions were but I knew they were getting pretty close and very strong. She decided to stick with the original plan and take the scheduled c section first. With ministicky, I had full labor resulting in him getting stuck and distressed - meaning no pain meds - followed by an emergency c, and the plan was to try to avoid that this time. I texted DH that he get back and convince someone that I'm not faking it. He got there and tried to flag some people who said that he anasthesiologist was in the Or so no one to give me anything, and since I was in an exam room and not a delivery room there wasn't even any gas. So deja vous...full labor, no meds. I was not planning on that at all and am still a bit pissed that it took so long. Surely there were other anesthesiologists in the hospital it was afternoon, not middle of the night.
They finally finished up with the other woman and were cleaning up the Or and finally came toncheck on me - at this point there was no break in contractions, and a midwife finally thought perhaps it was worth checking. I was 7cm, and they were like, oh - guess we better move on this. So - got rolled in, finally got a spinal, and then they took out my insides- I was gonna ask DH to take a pic cause I kinda wanted to see what my insides look like, but he ended up feeling faint. :laugh: then they took out the twig, who screamed right away and got a 10/10 score. :cool: and then i had to hang around disemboweled for a couple of hours cause there was some extra bleeding. But they brought over the Twig, who was happy to just hang and check things out, and then my innards were returned hopefully in the correct order, and we all got rolled out to recovery.
The Twig is super sweet and pretty chill. He managed to avoid the massive cone head and headache his bro had from being stuck so long. Mini was excited about the whole thing, but reality is starting to set in and he's working hard to compete for attention. I'm trying to figure out how to give him attention but also not over compensate.
So now we're four. :happy:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-06 7:53 PM
:shocker!::hug:
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-08-06 8:06 PM
Eeep!  Glad all are healthy!  :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-06 8:06 PM
Wow, what a story. I’m glad they finally paid attention to you just in time. :mutmad:

Congratulations!! :hug::hug:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:05 AM
Thanks! And how are you doing?:hug:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-07 9:29 AM
I’m doing pretty well. My last two surgical drains came out this morning, and I’m planning to go back to work on Monday.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:49 PM
:hug::hug: sounds like physical recovery is going well. Hope the emotional is also.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-06 8:13 PM
Babies are notoriously bad at doing things according to plan. :laugh:  So, it seems, are doctors. :roll:  Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Twig is doing well and that your insides have been put back into your body.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:18 AM
I thought I could actually do it. Hubris...There were a couple of other women is talked with who'd had a scheduled c after an emergency and they told me how awesome it was, nice and calm, you show up in the morning all relaxed. I wanted that. : pbbt:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-08-07 7:40 AM
Maybe you'll just have to do it again?  :evil:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:36 PM
I  am old wicket and pregnancy is pretty hard on the body. This uterus has been decommissioned. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-07 7:56 PM
I hope you are healing well now. <3 Wishing the four of you joy.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-10 4:29 AM
:hug:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-08-18 2:31 PM
This is me too. So so done.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-06 9:22 PM
Congratulations!

Speaking as one who has had two, suggest you try to give mini as much attention as possible. Especially when out in public. Twig will not remember or care who coos over him. Mini is old enough to know that he's being ignored in favour of his younger sibling.

Are you BFing Twig? If so you can put Mini in charge of making sure mum has a glass of water, her book, whatever you find essential. If bottle feeding, Mini is likely old enough to learn how to feed his brother.

Definitely give Mini lots of attention. He is old enough to know what is going on. (When I see a parent or couple with a preschooler and a new baby, I make sure to make a fuss of the older child. The baby won't care about the attention. The older one does.)

How are you feeling?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:03 AM
Definitely took me longer to feel human again after this one than mini...not sure if it was the length of time I was disemboweled for, or just the fact that I'm 4 years older.
I went to the doc to get cleared to drive today. And he asked me if I didn't think it was a little soon. I was like, well, it's be nice to stay home but I have a ministicky that needs to get to daycare as it was much more complicated to try to do that and any other errand by foot or bus

Good point about mini. We had some less wise visitors over last week. A string of them who brought Twig gifts and fawned over the baby and I could see mini holding back tears. Then another friend stopped by and had a gift for mini and realized he was bummed so she completely ignored the baby and just played with him for a while and said she'd come by for the baby another time.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-08 9:58 PM
Good for the second friend. The baby will not notice if he's being cooed over. The older child will, and having people ignore him in favour of the new baby reinforces his resentment. This isn't a criticism of him, but a comment that nobody would like that, adult or child.

Glad he got some of the attention and something chosen for him rather than for an infant.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-08-06 10:38 PM
Mazel Tov. Always glad to hear of another wicket in the world!

And frame that 10/10 it makes him ivy league material for sure!
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:10 AM
:grin::hug:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-08-07 3:43 AM
Congratulations!!! :grin::hug: That sounds very difficult and painful but at least Twig is in excellent shape. :happy:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-08-07 5:40 AM
:shocker!:  Oh, man!  Twig sure made an entrance!  I guess he wanted his birthday one day sooner than planned.  Sorry it wasn't the relaxing experience you had hoped for.  Welcome, little Twig!  :hug::hug:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-10 4:28 AM
I seriously think, as humans, we should have come up with a better way to procreate by now. : pbbt:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-08-10 9:51 AM
I suggest we implant the men with uteri and let THEM do it. :grin:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:39 PM
There would be no word in the language for "brother" or "sister" except in the case of multiple births. Because no man would go through that twice!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-08-11 7:00 AM
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-13 4:57 AM
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-08-13 7:41 AM
I once told my gyne that I thought men should be bear the children. She said it wouldn't work because she'd never get them to come into the office. :laugh:
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-08-17 8:38 PM
I used to say I wished I could grow the child in a jar on my kitchen counter.

Although given the way my plants turn out, maybe that wouldn't be a good idea.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-08-19 12:53 PM
I am right beside ya. No green thumb here either, but I try. :grin:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-19 3:28 PM
A visit or email to your local master gardeners group might be of help if you've a mind to expand gardening/plants - they are very helpful, approachable, and full of advice that is tailored to your local sub-climate. Very hands-on and they can help sort out different pest/plant growing problems if you have them. They run plant clinics and sometimes do house calls as well.
Master gardeners go through lots of education/classroom/hands-on courses, and part of their training is working with the local community. It is a pretty intensive programme to finish, so their advice is usually spot on.
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-07 6:29 AM
:shocker!: I can't believe they would have a woman who's water broke in an exam room not hooked up to any monitoring devices but perhaps things are different over there than here?? (you had Mini in the US, right?)

Glad all is well and he avoided the conehead :laugh:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:42 PM
Mini was Nz too.
When I just came in they hooked me up to make sure Twig was ok but then they unhooked when they decided they were just going to wait 4 hrs...
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-08-07 7:31 AM
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-07 8:42 AM
:shocker!::hug: Congrats!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-08-07 9:21 AM
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-07 9:26 AM
:hug: Congratulations to all of you. What a series of unforeseen events, but relieved all are well in the end.:hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:47 PM
I've read since that massage can jump start  labor so maybe not as unforeseen?: pbbt:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2018-08-07 10:19 AM
Congratulations!!!  :hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-10 4:27 AM
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-08-07 11:10 AM
yay - congratulations!

semi-off topic, it's frustrating that rules for giving pain-relief to women in labor seems to be different than other individuals who present at the hospital.

Can you imagine a man with a kidney stone being told - sorry, you'll have to wait around for a few hours before we give you something?  : pbbt:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-07 3:33 PM
I am completely with you. I don't understand it at all. Awesome for the women who choose it and can do it. I'd done pain med  free with mini, I had no desire to do it again, so being forced to endure it for no good reason I can figure out made made it feel like torture. :sad: and at least with mini id come in expecting to experience labor. I hadn't prepared mentally for it at all.
The midwife who came for a home check was looking st the notes and she was like, what I can't figure out is why it took so long. And I was like, yeah, neither can I.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-08-08 3:03 PM
awww! congratulations! What a wild story. Birth, man. never goes as planned, does it??? Sounds like you're adjusting to life as four as well as possible. I'll be in the same boat soon! Hugs to you all and esp to mini as he's adjusting to being a big brother! :hug: Hope you are feeling ok and your surgery recovery goes well.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-10 4:27 AM
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-08-09 7:30 AM
So glad I randomly wandered into this thread and saw this! Congrats and thanks for the report! I don't know how you have energy :laugh:: pbbt:

:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-10 4:26 AM
I don't. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-08-17 8:24 PM
Congratulations!!!!  :hug::hug::hug::hug:  (4 hugs for all 4 of you!)

I'd also be :mutmad: at the doctor and staff for not taking you seriously.

(by the way, my DH says you do NOT want to see what your innards look like.  He said mine were the ugliest thing he ever saw.  Can't unsee it.) :laugh:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-18 6:13 AM
:hug::happy:
Parent - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2018-08-18 2:31 PM
Congrats! What a story!
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2018-08-22 4:05 PM
Ew! I mean, Congrats@: pbbt:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-22 4:40 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hi Stormie!
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2018-08-23 10:51 PM
: pbbt:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-24 5:28 AM
:shocker!: I missed you! I need more than a face. Any updates?:hug:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2018-08-24 7:35 AM
I'm boring compared to giving birth to a Twig. : pbbt:
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-10 6:14 AM
More good/bad positing! Life is sure keeping a balance right now:meh:

Good: we have an official close date and it is 1-2 weeks earlier than they originally thought :grin: 5 1/2 weeks from now we will be living in our new house. I wan this to get here but on the other hand I don't want summer to end yet.

Bad: Cooper had another seizure, second one in about 2 months.:sad: He again seems fine after but we were hoping it was a one time thing or at least not too common. Waiting for a call back from the vet to see if we need to do any more testing. Everything was normal last time.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-10 6:53 AM
Good news on the house!

I'm sorry about Cooper. :sad: I hope the vet is able to find an explanation.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-11 4:36 AM
Did you get to stay in the same schools? I wouldn't move now if I had to change schools (although for my mental health it might help not to be in the same house where Evan was) I wouldn't take G away from his friends.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-11 12:08 PM
Yes, we only looked where we would stay in same schools. We will be about 1/2 mile from O's school but still busing since no sidewalk yet on the road.
:hug: a friend of mine who's daughter died 2 years ago debated moving too, she had mixed emotions about staying and leaving the house. They stayed too :hug:
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-08-14 10:06 AM
:sad:  Poor Cooper!  What did the vet say about the seizures?  Our dog that had them had to go on meds.  They were very effective.

Yay for closing on the new house!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-16 6:19 AM
He wants to continue to watch before starting meds. Says he has seen some dogs initially have a few seizures then nothing. If the trend continues then we will talk meds. He also thinks the stress of being in a new place isn't helping and would like that piece to settle out before starting meds.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-08-20 9:48 AM
I hope it was just stress.  Poor Cooper.  :hug:
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-10 1:05 PM
Gavin started Middle School (6th) today. :hug:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-10 2:58 PM
School doesn't start for 3 1/2 more weeks here
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-11 4:35 AM
Florida. August. Hot. No point in being anywhere but inside.

No really they moved it to start earlier so exams can be finished before winter break instead of after - NO ONE liked the after break exams, the students spent it studying, the parents were pissed they were not getting a break and relaxing, and the teachers were annoyed because parents and students kept texting and emailing them on break about exam stuff.

We get out right before Memorial day now, in a way its nice as the weather is still ok so we have about 3 weeks to enjoy end of May/June before we get stupid weather. Also if we travel right then end of May beginning of June its a lot cheaper as most summer travel is end of June - August.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-10 8:40 PM
Wow. That is early. How is he feeling about it?
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-11 4:32 AM
Nervous but good. He will do fine. He has one class that will be his biggest challenge an accelerated maths class that combines the end of 6th grade and all of 7th grade maths together this year (he had to test into it) so he would continue a year ahead. This means he would be doing high school maths in 8th grade and can do college level in his senior year. This is somewhat the toughest year since they do cram a lot into this year as they have to pass exams at the 7th grade level at year end. But he can do it. Its just homework every night and not missing an assignment so more discipline than anything. And one of my best friends is the advanced maths teacher at high school so if he runs into any trouble she can get me a tutor lightning speed.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-11 6:13 AM
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-08-11 9:30 AM
Wow, Middle School already?  He's getting so old!
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-12 2:36 PM
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-13 2:03 AM
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-13 5:37 AM
So I decided to start eating whole milk yogurt and cottage cheese instead of the lowfat versions and am very happy so far. It tastes SO much better (doing plain versions with just fruit cut up in them) and I notice it holds my hunger so much better. For an additional 100 calories of fat (no sugar) I'll take it.
Parent - By BoredTemp Date 2018-08-13 7:59 AM
oh heck yes.    made the switch a few years ago and haven't looked back.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-14 9:29 PM
Having driven the length of California four times in the last three weeks, wow. The first time there were no fires. Air was clear and lovely. The second time the whole state seemed to be on fire. Awful. Scary. Terrible air quality.

Anyone who thinks climate change isn't real should go fight some of these fires.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-15 1:15 PM
Sigh. I am glad you are safe.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-15 9:58 PM
So am I. I was never in any danger though. I am concerned about what will happen as temps keep rising...even if we stopped using fossil fuels tomorrow (impossible) the effects would be felt for some time.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-16 6:37 AM
Glad you are safe.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-08-16 4:10 PM
Huh. Wish that I had known you were making your way northward (or back from there, anyway). DH and I were in SF (and Monterey) for the past few days.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-08-16 5:32 PM
The fires are so terrible. I'm sorry you have had them. Also, the lousy air quality is awful for the whole body.
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-15 4:12 PM
Happy announcement: all the D group got adopted. Dixie only got spayed last Friday, so my prediction that she'd be scooped up as soon as she hit the adoption center was correct. Glad even Dwight has been chosen, he was the most reserved of the four.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-08-15 6:31 PM
when does the E group arrive? :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-15 9:57 PM
I think we are taking a bit of time off, at DS's request. He is the one who does a lot of the work since I am not home. And I start classes in a few weeks so maybe not another batch this year. I could be wrong, though.

And they could be any letter...we have had L, P, J, W, and D groups through as well as a whole lot of kittens not named with any particular letter. I think the initial groups work well though.

Nice to know that kittens that come back from us are very well socialized, though. All you have to do is look at them and they start purring in anticipation of being petted and played with.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-08-17 8:40 AM
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-16 6:23 AM
I'll start by saying this is obviously not me...discussing with someone and how this seems like a massive stressor to add to life.
Would you start a new job, one very different from current role and with big responsibility, when you are 7 months pregnant? Meaning 2 months in leaving for 4 months. And it is too late in year to get maternity leave coverage.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-16 9:37 AM
You mean like the CEO of Yahoo did? It CAN work depends on the person, their support, and the company culture and type of work. Software industry where you can do a lot remotely? Might work. Manufacturing or hands on management? Maybe not.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-08-16 11:39 AM
Would they even be eligible for paid leave with only 2 months of service?  Assuming things go to plan and baby is born near due date?  I don't think they'd qualify for FMLA, again not enough service time.

Aside from that, yeah I probably would if it was something i'd been dreaming of doing.
Parent - - By BoredTemp Date 2018-08-16 12:50 PM
why are you assuming that she will take a 4 month maternity leave?

I went back after just 6 weeks, others go back even faster when necessary.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-16 6:05 PM
She told us she plans to take 4 months.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-16 4:09 PM
My biggest concern would be health insurance. You know how expensive having a baby can be even if there are no complications. Very few insurers are going to cover that preexisting condition.

If that was covered, either because she has an individual policy which is covering the pregnancy and birth or she's covered by a spouse's or partner's policy, then I would say this would depend on circumstances. How often does a job like this open up? Can the new mom negotiate any time off, or reduced hours/work from home/flextime? Who will cover for her if she is in a position to take 4 months off? Presumably the new employers really want her if they are willing to hire her knowing that she's going to be on disability for at least a few weeks.

I actually think this might be less of a problem than if she took the job 6-7 months before her due date, knowing she was pregnant and not disclosing it. When you're 7 months pregnant there's no question about "did the employer know?", at least in most cases.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-18 6:06 AM Edited 2018-08-18 6:11 AM
National healthcare...you need national healthcare. I paid nothing for anything to do with this pregnancy. Had a midwife, and an OB since i'm so ancient, 4 days in hospital and could have stayed longer if I wanted, and a midwife visiting s 2-3 times a week at home for the first couple of weeks, and now once a week until 6 weeks when the Plunket system takes over.

Why is it "more of a problem" or a problem at all to take the job?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-18 12:19 PM
Working in healthcare it amazes me how different (and often more functional) other systems are. For me to have an uncomplicated delivery I paid out of pocket 2,500 (which is not much compared to what insurance paid). I had to use my earned time off and then I could get short term disability to cover at 2/3 my salary. Going into a new job there is a wait of 1-2 months often to start insurance and up to 6 months to get short term disability.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-19 4:12 AM
Unrelated to childbirth, but my mom is visiting at the moment,
And the other day she tripped and fell on the sidewalk. She had a cut on her forehead so we went to the emergency room. She got the cut cleaned and glued, checked over by the doc. At no time did anyone ask for ID, insurance or credit card. My mom actually has travel insurance, but in all likelihood, the visit will be covered by ACC - the national accident insurance. We walked in, she got taken care of, we walked out. I remember our first ED experience here where we couldn't believe. I one asked for money. Now I can't imagine it any other way...
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-08-20 9:49 AM
:shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-21 3:11 PM
:shocker!:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-21 3:54 PM
:shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-20 3:51 PM
More of a problem if it is perceived that she didn't disclose her condition during the interview process. Whether or not she did, there's likely to be someone who assumes she did not let on that she was newly pregnant when she applied for the job.
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-08-21 8:21 AM
But you don't have to disclose, and really shouldn't.  It would be different if she had a permanent restriction from lifting more than 20 pounds and the job requires regularly lifting 100 pounds.  In that case, she doesn't meet the requirements of the job and it's deceitful to not disclose.  But pregnancy?  Nope, not telling.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-08-21 8:34 AM
Agree. Unless the condition interferes with abilities to perform the essential functions of the job even with reasonable accommodation, there should be no need to disclose. If there is a need for reasonable accommodations, the type of accommodation needed and the general reason for it may come into play, but it is as a dialogue between employer and employee on an as-needed basis, not as a revelation of private medical information.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-08-30 9:24 AM
agree agree agree.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-08-27 1:15 PM
I know this is an old post but I saw and had to chime in. Pre-existing condition exclusions went away in 2014 so changing health insurance while pregnant wouldn't change the care. I have heard of people having issues trying to switch doctors that late in the game (if new insurance didn't have existing Dr in their network). Short-term disability insurance (which is income replacement and not actual medical care) can take pre-existing conditions into consideration
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-18 5:59 AM
Yes, I would. I don't want to lose opportunities professionally just because I happen to be the one with a uterus in the relationship. I may not take quite that long of leave though.

I have a coworker who did just that. Interviewed and got the job - pretty high up with responsibility - at about 4 months so no one knew. Had the baby and took 6 months off. Everyone survived, work hired someone temporarily to cover for her, and she's doing a kickass job now that she's back. But I'm also guessing that if the knew she was pregnant, they may not have hired her.

Can't remember if I posted about this on here, but DH was interviewing for a job a couple of months ago. he was the number one choice and got invited to coffee with the boss before a formal offer came through. At some point in the conversation, boss asked if DH had kids (possibly an illegal question?), to which DH responded, yes, one with another on the way. Future boss's next questions was, "oh, are you intending to take leave?" DH told me about it and I was like, hellooo male privilege! As a woman, I would never talk about family in an interview, and to him, it didn't occur to hide it. And of course, as a man, he was hired anyway...

Have you seen this? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/06/arts/design/moma-ps1-discrimination-suit-baby.html  Makes me fume.
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-18 12:26 PM
Wow! :mutmad:

When I'm involved in interviewing it is odd the amount of women who mention kids, family, etc but men never do. I currently work in a very family friendly work place that pushes work life balance so many interview here looking for that. I've never thought to talk about being a mom at an interview.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-18 2:08 PM
Well, our prime minister also just did this - just gave birth 7 months into her term as prime minister. Found out she was pregnant right after she won the election. She took 6 weeks off and now her partner is a stay at home dad. Her baby comes to parliament so she can breast feed. So, she took a new and very high responsibility job knowing she would take time off and I'm glad she did. Hopefully it helps normalize it.
Meanwhile, though she only took 6 weeks, she extended paid maternity leave to 22 weeks, and in 2 years it'll get extended to 26. I can and am sharing that leave with DH. (I'm actually going back to work next week since it was just bad timing for me to take extended leave.) That can be taken for adoption as well.

Wow, that's weird about women speaking about kids. Even the most enlightened work places have hidden biases.

So the conworker you're talking about, is it being frowned on at work?
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-18 4:43 PM
We don't know if she is accepting it or not but there has been a lot of discussion around it.

22 weeks that is great! Hope the prime minister can be an example of what is ahead for working moms.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-18 6:30 PM
Well, one hopes that they are making s hire for several years, not for the first 6months. If she's the right person for the job, that's better than a less good fit who just happens to not be using their uterus in the near future.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-08-21 4:57 PM
Looks like she and her partner are starting a trend. A cabinet minister just had a baby:https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/baby/106401717/green-party-mp-julie-anne-genter-becomes-a-mum-for-first-time
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-21 6:49 PM
I saw that!  Biking to the hospital at 42 weeks pregnant (even if it's mostly downhill) is crazy impressive.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-08-30 9:24 AM
I don't want to lose opportunities professionally just because I happen to be the one with a uterus in the relationship. ---> SO MUCH THIS
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-16 4:07 PM
Well I'll be NRR for the next 8 weeks or so. I thought I had an issue with my right 2nd toe thought maybe arthritis in the joint but turns out after my MRI (that I had to jump through hoops to get) I actually have a small stress fracture in my foot right before it joins the toe (hence the toe pain) which I figured was the case if not arthritis. Too small for xray to see. I sure do love MRI it really shows what's really the matter. So my dr and I agree no running, jumping, weighted squats or lunges (body weight ok) he even said to try to not exercise/fast walk. Not much else to do but we are glad it is not arthritis or bone spur or a return of my neuroma. I should have spent July and August not running but even the rest of August and September not running is ok down in Florida. I did sign up for a 5K for my charity in September but I guess I'll walk it now. I can still bike or swim or lift or yoga (but he said be careful of toe stance postures) or even low impact versions of cardio work. He knows me well didn't even say no heels.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-08-16 4:10 PM
Ouch, sorry. Glad you can still do other forms of exercise. And how annoying that you had to fight for an MRI.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-08-16 4:11 PM
Oh man. Sorry to hear this. Glad that you can at least bike or swim though. And perhaps even be back to running in time for nicer weather?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-08-16 5:29 PM
Sorry about the foot/toe. :sad: I know if the foot itself is involved it is more important than just banging a toe alone. One thing about injuries, they force us to rest. I'm glad you got to find out more quickly. :hug::hug:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-08-16 5:40 PM
I'm sorry. I'm dealing it's a broken toe right now, so I totally understand. At least you have some options. I hope you heal quickly.:hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-08-17 6:56 AM
Ugh, seriously? :cry:  That sucks!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-08-17 9:30 AM
Ouch! Glad you have an answer.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-08-21 8:15 AM
:cry::hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-08-26 11:30 AM
Well...that sucks! I am really sorry. :sad:

But the upside is that a sfx is better than arthritis, right? Because it'll heal and go away, unlike arthritis.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-08-27 6:24 PM
yes best of the options - stress fracture, arthritis or my neuroma reappearing
Up Topic Communities / Women / August Has Arrived (NRR thread)