Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Free Divin' Fridailies.
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-08-03 11:11 AM
Hope your Friday is going well. :hug:

I made it out to Leo Carillo, early this morning for a little free diving. Went out to the first buoy and was able to get down to ~25'. Visibility was not great but I had fun. The water is "warm" down to that depth; no thermocline or sharp gradient.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 11:21 AM
Sounds like an excellent way to start the day!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-03 11:36 AM
Nice!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 12:15 PM
Your Friday sounds so much better than mine! I hope your weekend is just as enjoyable :happy:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-08-03 1:38 PM
1.3 mile walk to the gym. I used four different core machines & then got on the stationary bike for 10.8 miles in half an hour.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-03 4:06 PM
Thanks it is, and it sounds like yours at least started out quite well too. :hug:

Back in action today for 5 miles along the river after a different kind of action the past couple days involving a routine screening procedure yesterday requiring some um preparation. :laugh: This is my second one, and I'm happy to report that everything still is good and I won't need to do this for another 10 years. :cool: For those of you who haven't had the pleasure yet, the whole process isn't nearly as bad as some peeps make it out to be. :happy: For those who don't know what I'm talking about, you will at some point. :wink: But honestly, it's really easy so long as you pay attention to detail just like in a good training plan. :laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 5:44 PM
When I had my prep last November, I was binging Scandal on Netflix. I just took my iPad into the bathroom with me, so I was distracted and you are right.....it wasnt too awful!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-03 5:46 PM
:laugh: Yeah so long as your have bathroom reading/watching material it's not awful at all.
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-08-03 9:03 PM
I have found the prep procedure has greatly improved since my first one. Glad all was good.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-03 9:08 PM
Thanks, and it's all good. :happy:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 11:31 AM
Runs to and from circuit training totaling 3.8 miles.....circuit training in between the two runs.  I am ok with the decimal as yesterday I had 10.2, so I had to even things out to a round number for weekly mileage purposes.

This weekend, we have a party tomorrow afternoon/evening and are going to the Rangers' game on Sunday afternoon.  This all sounds super exhausting to me, so tonight, I am planning on a Netflix night with a very early bedtime.  I am eight episodes into a ten episode, British crime drama called "The Five".  I have no idea how it will all end, so at this point, I give it two thumbs up for being smart, and not predictable.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-03 11:37 AM
Sounds like a great night! I think I remember liking that series.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 12:14 PM
I will have to keep that series in mind. :happy:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-03 11:38 AM
It's my usual Friday rest day. And it's raining. I think tomorrow it is suppose to finally stop raining.

Dinner out tonight with park guy. Will run trails tomorrow. Helping at a race Sunday morning.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 12:13 PM
For all the runners on sunday who are too clueless or self absorbed on race day, thank you for volunteering!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 12:42 PM
Thanks for volunteering!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-03 11:44 AM
My Friday started by having radioactive dye injected in me, a set of "pictures" taken of my heart with that running thru it, an increasingly steeper and faster, but not really THAT fast, walk on a treadmill and then another set of "pictures".  (I.E. a nuclear stress test)  They kept me going on the 'mill until I reached 85% of age-predicted max HR.  There were 2 minutes left in that "interval" (it changed speed & incline every 3 minutes) and the NP/PA running the test asked if I could continue that long :roll: since she detected a bit of a laugh in my "Sure" reply, she asked how long I thought I could keep going at that level and I said at least an hour :wink:  They started the incline at 10% so that was eventually worse than the speed.  Prly be next week before I hear back & find out how well my ticker performed.

My only "workout" was cutting my grass and I only got thru the front lawn before a T storm so the backyard, which didn't need the cut as much as the front, will have to wait for another day.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-08-03 12:03 PM
:cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 12:12 PM
"about an hour" :cool::laugh: I bet they don't hear that too often. Good luck with your results!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 12:43 PM
Only an hour??:laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-03 1:49 PM
:laugh:   Yeah, they started the mill at a 10% incline and raised that every 3 minutes along with the speed.  The speed it was up to would not have been an issue but continuing for another hour at whatever incline it was at may have been :roll:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-03 4:25 PM
Why?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-03 4:47 PM
My cardiologist wants to see "if all is well"...his exact words :roll:   I have a very slightly leaky mitral valve...NBD, "borderline" aortic dilation...also NBD unless it changes substantially...but the echo cardiograms don't show a change since this was detected in 2013, and an "ejection fraction" (% of blood pumped out of the left ventricle with each heartbeat) of ~45%...vs 55-70% "average".  He doesn't accept my argument that I'm a highly conditioned endurance athlete :roll:  and don't need my heart to work as hard : pbbt:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-03 5:57 PM
I have a bicuspid aortic valve and 2 years ago needed a CT scan for a more accurate measurement of my dilation as my measurements had increased a little more than the cardiologist liked.

I had the dye etc and the measurement was a little smaller....plus it's stabilized the last two years so fingers crossed.

He knows my past history of running/tris and my current goals etc and encourages me to keep on with everything.

Thanks for sharing.  interesting stuff!  Good luck!
:hug:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 11:58 AM
Super slow at work today. :meh: They are saying we got 6” of rain this week.  I am not complaining.  August usually smells like rotting death here, so 6” of rain is a welcome relief.  The trail I ran on the other day is currently ~5-10’ underwater.  Always seems strange, but it’s not that unusual.  It happens a few times every year.  I’m sure we will have tons of drainage complaints next week.  <fun times>

Stairmonster/bike combo.  I turned down the speed some on the stairmonster, but I didn’t quit.  That’s a win.  I tried to tell myself that 110 steps/min is still pretty quick.  The bike, I bumped the average level up a hair, but the speed was down a hair from earlier this week.  I’ll still take that too.  And my weight workout was tough,  but good.  Last time for the phase 2 bulk back (video), and I got in all my pull-ups without breaking. :cool:  It’s hard cuz you do pull-overs first and there’s no rest.  So it’s 15 DB pullovers (40lb), 10 pull-ups, 12 DB pull-overs (45#), 10 pull-ups, 8 (50#)/8(45#) pull-overs, 10 pull-ups without only enough rest to get a couple of breaths in.  I confess some of the pull-ups were ugly, but I figure if I can heave this old aging body of mine over the bar at all, I’m doing pretty well. : pbbt:  One more phase 2 workout, and I’ll move on to phase 3…

DS2’s senior pics came in today.  <sniff> He starts school next week and I drug out the excess school supplies from years past. I love buying school supplies and it shows. :laugh: someday I will be donating tons of binders, pencils, and index cards. The only thing I need to buy is a composition notebook.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-08-03 12:49 PM
omg DS2 is going to be a senior! :cry::hug: Does he have any ideas about where he wants to go for college? I can't believe you guys will be empty nesters soon! :shocker!:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 1:56 PM
Right now UVA is the #1 choice with JMU #2.  The latter he (should) definitely get in.  The former, probably, but I’d feel better if his SAT was higher to offset the white male thing.  He was solid in the spring without studying, so I’m hoping October will be a bit better.  Clemson would be up there and he’ll apply, but with out of state tuition, not likely.  VA Tech is half-heartedly mentioned as is William & Mary.  Though W&M in-state is almost as much as Clemson out of state!  VA schools are good, but expensive. :cry:

I’d be very happy with either #1 or #2.  In both cases, he’d be an hour from Steven.

It goes so fast. It feels like Steven was just a senior! :cry:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 12:57 PM
Do you know how many pull-ups I can do? NONE!!!!  This drives my trainer crazy.

I have a huge "school supply" box.  As this is my first college only year, once they both grab out what the need, my box will be heading the local community outreach who will disburse as needed.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 1:59 PM
It took me 10 years to get to 1! After that, it got easier. Negatives were what got me there.

Last year I sent a ton with DH to school. But elementary doesn't use college ruled stuff. I have over 1000 index cards! I was like "oh, we only have 6 mechanical pencils in the box!" Then I found 2 more boxes of 24 or so. :blush:
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-08-03 12:48 PM
power walked 5 miles, did some squats, lunges, and planks. Pretty much par for the course these days. My belly is getting huger every day and is just achy and annoying. Ah well. Feeling pretty good otherwise - all of that scary super low BP stuff has resolved, yay. 30 weeks yesterday.  Babe is moving like crazy. We are really having trouble coming up with a name! :laugh: I'm studying like a crazy person for my comp exams (8/13 and 8/17). That's about it from here.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-03 12:58 PM
It was so hard to come up and AGREE on names.  We didn't have a boy name we really liked for blazergirl, so was lucky she was a girl!  Luckily, we figured out a boy name when A was born almost three years later.:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-03 2:01 PM
I'm glad things are looking up. When you teach 500 urchins a year, you dislike a lot of names! :laugh: so DH picked his top 3 and we took it from there.
- By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-03 2:47 PM
4.5 miles on trails this morning.

Lots of rain this week had the trails nice and messy with quite a few puddles. A buddy had emailed to let me know that I should be on the lookout for a runner joining our group. Turns out the new runner is going to be running cross country for a smaller college in the state. Luckily, he had warmed up with another friend so his legs already had a few miles on them when we got going. A woman joined us and she had two dogs running with her off lease and we had to get out in front of them as we almost tripped over the dogs several times in the first quarter mile. The young guy took it easy on me but it was clear that he wasn’t working very hard as I was covered in sweat when we got done and he hadn’t sweat much at all.

In a moment of weakness, I signed up for a 5K tomorrow night so will not run tomorrow AM but will meet a buddy Sunday morning for a longer run. I’ve contacted the RD of a sprint tri to see about volunteering for that since our other running partner will be doing that.
- - By SRoo Date 2018-08-03 4:40 PM
Guess what?  Still raining.  I lifted and plodded for 30 minutes on the elliptical.  The hound and I went for a walk during a lull in the rain and then did some jumps and weaves.  She did much better than usual!  :grin:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-08-03 5:49 PM
Yeah no kidding in these parts but good job inside, and outside for you and the hound during the lull. :cool: My run was during a lull around the noon hour.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Free Divin' Fridailies.