Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Thursday’s Traffic Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 7:29 AM
What kind of driver are you?  Super safe?  Aggressive?  Confess your driving sins if you have any.  And/or, your biggest pet peeve of the driving habits of others???

And post or reply :wink: about your usual exercise stuff.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 7:31 AM
Generally, I’m a safe driver.  I tend to drive the speed limit, or maybe 5 mph over.  I use my signal and always check my blind spot.  However…  I have recently taken to running red lights. :blush:  In a dying city, we don’t have any real traffic issues.  And in the morning, I sit freaking forever at light after light with nobody in sight ever.  Some sections I can literally run faster than I can drive. :meh:  In fact, the only time I see a car drive up is usually when mine turns green to go – stopping them for me.  It’s such a waste.  Thus, I stop, look, and then just go.  Biggest pet peeve here is that driver’s are SO cautious and they think they are being nice, but instead they are putting everyone at risk.  And then they expect you to smile and wave for being nice :cry:

Today I did my run/walk thing with the middle 10K in 47 min and change.  Nothing super speedy, but it was the best my stride has felt since coming back from vacation.  I will happily take it.  Then I did a total body core video and that was awesome too.  A good workout day. :happy:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-02 8:07 AM
In very early mornings on empty streets, I have been known to run a red light.....after first checking for a traffic camera!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:18 AM
At least I know we have none of those! I once got into an argument with a friend who insisted our cameras caught people running red lights. No. They just trigger the light to change like the old loop detectors. He kept insisting. I was like “ummm.. I’m the one who spec’d them out.” I know they don’t do that! :laugh:

But I still feel guilty doing it.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-02 9:45 AM
where I live there is traffic, and I have spotted a few people running red lights in the morning (getting onto a major highway). I get so mad! your situation is totally different though
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-02 8:12 AM
10 miles this morning.....another "cool" morning as it was only 73, so it was almost delightful out.  Will go to boxing class tonight.

I am a drive 5-7 miles over the speed limit kind of person on non-crowded highways. I drive SO MUCH for my job (have for decades) and have only been in two accidents (both on rush hour freeways where I was rear-ended by someone who wasn't paying attention), so I would say my record backs up the fact I'm not an awful driver. I hate people who are looking at their phone.:mutmad:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-02 9:46 AM
it was really nice this morning!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:20 AM
Knock on wood! We’ve been good as a household for accidents and then last year my car got hit TWICE!!! :mutmad:

We’ve been raining all week, so it hasn’t been hot. But the lows are still the same. It’s not awesome, but it’s so much better than the alternative this time of year
Parent - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-08-03 9:36 AM
Moderately good.  I haven't been at fault in an accident in about 20 years, but being a Californian I tend to speed.  I frequently have colorful opinions about my fellow travelers and if Fords had nose cannons double parkers would be reduced to rubble.  Lately I've gotten calmer about driving because I'm driving less in traffic which is an intentional choice.

3.1 miles on the treadmill which kept me out of traffic and I've got a 5 day running streak going for the first time in ages.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-02 8:17 AM
I am a very safe driver, but I am aggressive when I drive in NYC. My pet peeve is when someone I'm riding with gets pissed off at other drivers for doing things that they do themselves and have no problem with doing. :roll::meh:

Opted for an extra hour of sleep this morning so no workout to report. I have softball playoffs after work if we don't get rained out again, so that will be my workout for the day. If it rains, I'll swim and/or run.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-02 9:46 AM
good luck in the playoffs!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:21 AM
Our drivers would be so lost in NYC! People will not pull out into traffic unless there is nothing visible at all.
- - By SRoo Date 2018-08-02 8:19 AM
40 minutes in the pool.  It is raining again (AGAIN! :mutmad: ) so I'll skip the bike ride (AGAIN! :mutmad: ) and maybe do some time on the elliptical trainer in the vain hope that it will keep me in shape to ride 40 miles this weekend.  I did manage to do some TRX training yesterday.

I think I'm an average driver.  I don't text (let's face it, I cannot even text and walk at the same time), but sometimes I will check my phone at a red light.  Ahem, I stop at those, Pooped Colt. : pbbt:  I signal, check blind spots, speed by 5-10 mph on the highway, but not in town.  I don't think I am particularly aggressive or slow.  Probably everyone thinks that they are a good driver and most everyone else is a menace.  : pbbt:

Pet peeves:  Driving down the road with your turn signal on.  Motioning someone ahead when you clearly have the right of way.  Flicking cigarette butts out the window.  And of course, using your cell phone.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:23 AM
:blush: your second peeve is mine. People here will stop in the middle of a 4 lane road to let someone pull out of a driveway! In our city, you don’t ever have to wait for than 30 sec for anything. Argh!!!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-02 8:36 AM
16km with Molly :hug:

I'd say I'm a perfect blend of complacent and confident when it come to driving (if I may say so myself).  There is almost no traffic in my world so I'm complacent.
In the "real world" I'm just a solid driver like the guy hitting .288 with 22 homers and 90 rbis…..great range at 2B and make fewer than the average second baggers errors.

I think the road rage, aggressive types are just a reflection on society as a whole.  If I come across an aggressive asshole in a car or otherwise I let them have their space
as it isn't a battle I need/want to fight.  :hug:

PS:  I used to get annoyed over people who park like dickheads but I've also let that go long ago. People en mass are selfish dicks so just accept it and don't let it ruin your
own personal parking experience.  :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:24 AM
:hug: you are awesome :happy:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-02 12:30 PM
yeah you're just saying that so I'll reply.  :hug:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-02 9:36 AM
I am a safe driver, much safer than when I was younger. I will change what I am listening to on my phone (which I use instead of the radio) at red lights when stopped, it drives me crazy when I see people messing with their phones while driving.

People in Texas do not signal when changing lanes, that drives me crazy.

run was 5.75 miles

I have an interview at a new company next week in SF. It is a cool opportunity, will be interesting to see if it is the right fit.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-02 10:31 AM
Are you going to SF for the interview or will it be by phone?  Either way, good luck!!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-02 2:09 PM
I had 2 phone interviews already, so I am making a quick day trip on Wednesday. First flight out, last flight back. I do it for work periodically now-it's a beatdown but doable.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:26 AM
I’m much more cautious now too. I leave plenty of space in front of me. My reflexes suck and I don’t wanna worry about it

Good luck with the interview!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-08-02 12:41 PM
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-02 2:15 PM
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-02 10:56 AM
I'm a reasonably safe driver but have been known to exceed the speed limit on the highway by ~10mph...just to keep up with traffic in the middle lane :halo: 
Peeves;
- drivers who think stop signs don't apply to them :mutmad:  
- drivers in front of you at a red light who are distracted, typically with their phone, and don't go after the light turns green FOR.EV.ER so I (and several others) don't get thru before it turns red again :mutmad::mutmad:

My exercise stuff today will be teaching spin class this evening.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:27 AM
Lol. My DH always says he going with the flow of traffic. I’m like uhh... then how come you’re passing everyone?!:laugh:

Btw - I am pretty certain we don’t have any cycling classes in my city. You’d have no competition here!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-08-02 12:18 PM
During non-rush hours, traffic moves very well on the nearby 3-lane/65mph speed limit/no toll highway.  During those times the far left lane is usually occupied by those interested in driving 80mph...or faster :shocker!:

Competition :laugh:   There's a service road between the parking lot for our facility and a YMCA.  There are LA Fitness and a Future Fitness gyms both within 1-2 miles of us.  All of these places offer cycling classes. We opened in Dec. 2012.  By the 2nd year they hit the membership projection for year 5.  Over the past 2-3 years several other gyms have opened in the area and I'm sure we've lost some membership but we aren't quoted those statistics :roll:  One of the other facilities (Lifetime Athletic) is larger & more upscale in certain elements than ours. We're owned by a large hospital system and are the newest of the 3 fitness centers they operate.  Our medical affiliation/integration draws a more chronologically mature membership :roll:  Indoor cycling/spinning appeals to a range of age groups but likely more to those <50 than >50 and while we have each decade represented, I think a majority of our membership is >50.  ...of course, so am I (by a lot) so there's that :roll:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-08-02 11:07 AM
I’m generally a pretty safe driver. I may go a bit above the speed limit, but I’m usually going with the flow of traffic. I can be a bit of an asshole in traffic, but only when provoked by another driver trying to cut me off. We get a lot of traffic + aggressive drivers here, so it’s kind of a necessary survival skill unless you want to get honked at by the impatient drivers behind you and add 5-10 minutes to every commute.

I’m guilty of looking at my phone at red lights.

My fun story involving another driver comes from a year ago, when an aggressive driver wouldn’t let me change lanes, made a very aggressive move to swerve around me...and then hit a curb and popped a tire.:evil:

I ran this morning! 1.5 miles, followed by some biking. But my PF hurts a bit now. I’ll keep stretching it and then maybe run again in a couple of days.

Assues: My GI system isn’t accustomed to running, so I couldn’t go before I left but then had to take a walking break at 1.0 miles. And then getting on the scale postrun was funny. My weight has been quite consistent in the mornings all week. But today I was a good bit lighter than I’ve been all week.:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-08-02 11:28 AM
My DH is like that if someone cuts them off.

I love the tire story. Love when stuff like that happens!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-02 12:54 PM
You have to be a bit of an asshole to drive in Boston. One of the worst cities I’ve ever driven in.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-08-02 1:33 PM
"Hey ramblin' boy now won't cha settle down?"
"Boston ain't your kinda town"
"There ain't no gold and there ain't nobody like me"  :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-08-02 2:10 PM
some cities you have to be aggressive to go anywhere.
- By N70SAK Date 2018-08-02 12:17 PM
Too fucking hot lately. I've been doing lots of yard work, gardening and light mods around the house in the early and late hours. :meh: I did just try a fresh jalapeno and it was perfect. :hug:  Future experiments include making corn meal and also producing TCH oil. :hug:

GET THE FUCK OVER TO THE RIGHT!  I can't stand road hogs. It's a simple rule. It makes things move much more expeditiously. It's the law in CA. Slower traffic keep right... Next is tailgaters and schmucks who waist time getting moving at lights and or hang back from the crosswalk more than a car length....  :mutmad: Don't get me started.
- By nooner [us] Date 2018-08-02 1:00 PM
6 miles at noon.

The female co-worker who runs with us every so often emailed yesterday to see if she could get any suckers to join her for 20 x 30 seconds up a hill. I emailed my running partner and she quickly had 2 suckers lined up. I suggested a hill that doesn’t get much traffic and it worked out pretty well. 30 seconds really isn’t that far but she forgot to tell us about the 5 minutes of flat running in between the2 sets of 10 repeats. My legs were fried since I haven’t done much faster stuff and of course we had to go back uphill to get back home.

I’m a fairly safe driver with a slight lead foot. I don’t usually go much above 10 mikes over the speed limit, but it can get away from me at times and I have to ease up on the gas.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-08-02 2:54 PM
12.3 miles on the Ice Age Trail with my wife, mostly on a section that was part of the Dances With Dirt course some of us ran at the FE (which was, like, forever ago).

I’m the best driver. The best. You wouldn’t believe it.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-02 6:36 PM
:laugh:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Thursday’s Traffic Dailies