Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Socks (RR)
- - By swandive Date 2018-07-25 7:41 PM
What socks do you wear for running?  I wear Smartwool socks in the wintertime and WrightSocks in the summer.  No problems with the Smartwool, but my Wrightsocks seem to develop holes in the right big toe after a few years.  My toe doesn't noticeably rub there -- and this is only an issue I have with running socks -- but obviously it rubs enough to create consistent holes.  And maybe I'm expecting too much out of my socks to think that they'll last for years without holes, but I'm wondering what other people wear and like.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-07-26 6:59 AM
Wright socks. Holes develop. Yes. The socks are nice and thin which I need for summer, but the trade off seems to be that the outer sock layer gets rubbed harder since it is against the more tough inner material of the shoe. I just checked. They get rubbed more where I have a small corn, my forming bunion, and the big toe of my longer foot. I suspect that in summer the holes develop more since my feet swell quicker due to heat. I have some Smartwools for winter too.

When I first started running, a nice group of runners adopted me and one said, "Double sock!". I did that with one very thin sock and a regular white crew sock over that. I never blistered even though I was running long times. In later years, my yoga teacher who also marathoned told me about Wright socks. I think I only had one blister in 26.5 years. :laugh::blush:  :::knocking wood:::
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-07-26 8:33 AM
I'm not running these days, but DH really likes Feetures and Balega.  Smart wool is nice, but doesn't last long for me.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-26 12:42 PM
I mostly use Smartwool, but for wet runs and distance runs, I use DryMax. They are super sturdy and the moisture-wicking is a game-changer for foot health and comfort. They don't get their fabric compacted over time, or clogged with micro-dirt like Smartwools that get heavy trail use. I also LOVE Balegas, but more for gym workouts and lower-mileage runs, since they are on the thinner side and I like more cushioning for longer runs. But they are well constructed and feel great.

I had a similar issue with DarnTough Vermont socks as you did with Wrightsocks, only it was the cuff around the top of the sock that tended to disintegrate. I had three pairs bought at the same time that lost the cuff within two weeks of each other. I think it must be a construction issue when that kind of thing happens so consistently.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-07-26 1:46 PM
Balaga. Love me some Balaga. I have 2 pairs that have lasted 5+ years now
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-07-26 10:59 PM
Pumas usually -- sold in a 12 pack from Costco.

I have several pairs of Asics socks that I like. A few Balegas and Smartwools.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-31 5:21 AM
summer - Balega
winter - Smartwool
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-07-31 8:14 AM
basic, cheap Hanes.  :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-07-31 12:07 PM
Yes.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Socks (RR)