Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Mondailies
- - By judyruns Date 2018-07-23 5:59 AM
Post. :happy:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-07-23 6:02 AM
Friday I found my running buddy so we did a good 45 min run together. I had ice and it was a good thing because it was getting hot.
Saturday was SDO
Sunday was an extra SDO Sunday Buddy and I are on vacations yesterday and next Sunday.
Today I’m off to the trail soon.
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-23 9:42 AM
Swam this morning. swam so hard that I'm still sweating at my desk, after a shower. : pbbt:

This weekend included an awesome swim in Puget Sound-- the water was flat and clear!! And a synchro "figures" coaching session.  Figures are the compulsory aspects of synchro. I'm going back to basics on these.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-23 10:37 AM
The first time I finished a pool workout sweating...on top of being wet...was a strange feeling. :laugh:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-23 4:32 PM
I know. Especially easy to do in the very warm water at the gym pool. A bit harder in Puget Sound!
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-23 5:26 PM
I don't ever stop being impressed by your swimming in the Sound. :hug:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-07-23 1:00 PM
Figures. Is that like figures used to be in ice skating?
Sweating after swimming. Yeah. That seems weird but the body needs to do what it does best to cool itself. :happy:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-23 4:30 PM
Yes, you can compete just in figures.  You go out in front of a panel of judges and very very slowly do a figure. This is one I was working on yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j8y0hkKDWI
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-24 2:31 AM
Wow, what a cool video.  I am always amazed by the moves in synchronized swimming.  I suppose it's a lot like gymnastics or dance, training your body to do a certain difficult thing in a perfect, beautiful way, and I am in awe of people who have that ability to know exactly what pose their body is in - in the air or water at any split second in time.  (Not sure if that made sense - it's 4:30 AM and I've been up for an hour, unable to get back to sleep)
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-24 9:59 AM
Yeah, I get it. That's exactly what's fun for me about Synchro-- learning an entirely new type of kinesthetic awareness. Knowing where your body is when you are upside down under water is HARD.  Even knowing left from right at that point can be confusing. And up from down.  That's what makes it fun!
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-07-23 3:07 PM
was thinking of you and your synchro when I read this, I assume you've seen the article?

https://www.thelily.com/meet-the-subversive-sirens-these-5-women-are-bringing-joy-and-inclusivity-to-synchronized-swimming/
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-23 4:21 PM
I haven't thanks. I now am following them on Facebook. They ROCK!!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-23 10:26 AM Edited 2018-07-23 10:36 AM
Allo! Gorgeous day here. Heading to the gym for some running, stair-climbing and lifting. Then All the Errands. Nothing exciting, just a big list to get through.

NRR: on a catty note, XH still has not managed to put his house up for sale. His GF/fiancee's house is not listed either. I collect two things from this this: first, that I was right in that there was NO WAY XH was going to be able to do all the necessary repairs and clean-up projects to get the house on the market this fall. Secondly, that there is a good chance that he and his fiancee have split up and are not moving forward with the engagement or the plans to buy a new house together. My, my, my. :evil:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-07-23 1:02 PM
Hope you enjoy the workout. I don't mind errands if it's right after a run. I'm mellowed out then. :laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-23 5:25 PM
Exactly! It was a good workout. Legs are vewwy, vewwy tiwed. : pbbt:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-07-23 7:42 PM
Zip, once before you gave a great science explanation for: "Red in the morning, sailors take warning. Red at night, sailors' delight." Would you post it again? :blush: I wished I had saved it. :cry: I always wanted to know that and this time I.will.copy.it.down. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-23 8:18 PM
Oh...sure. It's been nearly 30 years since I first learned all this, but let's see if I can remember the gist of it.

The basic explanation is that weather patterns generally move with the prevailing wind, which is generally from the west toward the east. High pressure systems, the kind that usually come with clear, settled weather, tend to trap more particulate matter. Humidity and dust and such tend to hang in the atmosphere, trapped by the pressure, and the high pressure sort of sweeps it into the leading edge of the front. (If I remember this correctly...) So if you are looking westward at sunset and you can see a colorful red/orange horizon, the color comes from the sun's rays slanting through all that water vapor and dust and spores and whatever...which means the weather you will experience for the next 12-24 hrs is likely to be good.

However, if you see a very red sunrise with lots of bands of color in it, you are basically looking at a low pressure system that has already swept that high-pressure wall of particulate matter over you, so you are looking at the back side of that nice weather front as the slanting rays of the sun light it all up. You are therefore likely to have bad weather later in the day, often by nightfall as the low pressure system passes completely over you.

Caveat: these are generalities, and some weather phenomena, locations, and times of year can cause this to not work as outlined above. But this is the general pattern, particularly at sea.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-07-24 5:57 AM
Thank you so much! :hug: I've already copied this for my files. :grin:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-07-23 7:53 PM
Enjoy the gym and the errands.

I am not surprised that XH has not been able to get it together. IIRC that house is very old and isn't going to be a slam-dunk for repairs, I'm sure many of the parts and supplies needed are special order/very expensive.

Possible that he has moved in with GF/fiancée -- which means that she is likely to get tired of putting up with his lazy ways in short order.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-23 8:23 PM
True. The other possibility is that GF is keeping her house and he is moving in with her there. But either way, she will get a better idea of his general maintenance abilities and drive.

On a serious note, she had just divorced an abusive husband before hooking up with XH...and XH is an alcoholic. She is actually quite a nice person, and 12 years younger than XH, and I hope for her sake, she dumps him and finds someone better and also closer to her age.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-23 4:58 PM
I'm curious to know what you think of this...
A couple months ago, I jumped off a car trailer onto the ground.  I was wearing cheap, crummy non-supportive tennis shoes and I thought felt my cuboid bone go out of whack as I landed.  Of course I wasn't totally sure, but the next day on a run, I felt the familiar, weird feeling in the hollow behind my ankle with each step.  Last time I had a subluxed cuboid (which I think happened at a mountainous 50K), I went to a physical therapist.  Well of course, insurance doesn't cover physical therapy and it cost a ton.  I thought I'd try a chiropractor because they're all about putting bones in their proper place, right?  So I went to a man who was highly recommended.  He took an x-ray of my back.  Turns out I have a slight curvature of my spine which makes my hips not quite even.  Showed me a spot between two vertebrae where I have arthritis (the distance between those two vertebrae is maybe half as thick as between others).  Then tells me the base of my spine is fused to my pelvis.  So according to him, if I were overweight, I'd have terrible back pain, and as I age, this is going to be a problem.  He said my left leg problems (which I haven't had for years since switching to Hokas) are all secondary to my crooked spine.  He put me on a 30-visit plan to loosen things up, I guess.  He does a joint mobilization on the left ankle every time I come in and my foot feels fine now.  I'm running great.  Once my 30 visits are up, he wants me to come once a month to get adjusted, I guess for the rest of my life.  This just doesn't sit well with me.  I'm not sure if I'm just being childish and in denial that I'm aging or if I should trust my gut and stop going after my visits are up.

So I showed the x-ray to my GP.  She didn't think it looked like much of a curvature, and it's not like these treatments are going to correct the curve, and if I'm not having any problems, she's always of the mindset to leave things alone.

The chiropractor seems nice and genuine and what he says about my back and left foot striking harder makes sense.  I guess getting adjusted once a month wouldn't hurt anything... but I don't know... I wasn't having any problems.  What would you do?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-07-23 7:56 PM
If it is making you feel better and not costing too much, it's your call. However, I do think that almost all humans have unevennesses. We're not designed to be perfectly symmetrical.

Base of spine fused to pelvis? DD says the coccyx is supposed to be fused to it, but the lumbar vertebrae are not.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-24 1:35 AM
It's what your DD said.  The vertebrae.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-23 11:15 PM
I probably wouldn't even go for the rest of the visits if I felt OK.  The whole thing sounds like a sales pitch to me, but I'm very skeptical of chiropractors.

I'm not clear why he X rayed your back if the issue is in your foot.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-24 1:47 AM
I guess he x-rayed it because he suspected it was a secondary issue.  The main issue (causing my left side to strike harder) is my uneven hips, due to this slight curve in my back.  Your description of "it sounds like a sales pitch" describes exactly the doubt in my mind.  As Arimathea (and my GP) said, no one is designed perfectly.  If this curve is going to cause more leg/foot problems and arthritis down the road, then of course I'd like to be proactive.  I have a few musician friends who have gone for monthly adjustments (not to him, but someone else) and they swear they help them stay limber and feeling good.  I guess I can't help wondering why if it were really a problem, why it wouldn't have been diagnosed all those years ago in school when they did scoliosis screenings.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-24 2:36 AM
On a funny note, all this just reminded me of years ago when stickywicket was getting married and the salesgirl pointed out how this dress or that dress could hide "flaws" in her body.  I remember sticky saying, "Apparently only thousands of dollars of taffeta can save me."  :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:  And then I think she went and got an inexpensive, beautiful dress off ebay.  (or maybe that was kerbear... or both!) 

So, is it that only thousands of dollars of chiropractic care for the rest of my life can save me or can I just stretch every day?
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-07-24 6:02 AM Edited 2018-07-24 6:19 AM
I have non-aligned hips and tend to get patellar-femoral syndrome on the one side. However, I have been really good about doing the stretches my GP told me about and it has helped the whole thing emmensely. Stretching can do wonders and has for me even with a stiff hip at 75! :grin:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-24 10:12 AM
:cool:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-07-24 8:54 AM
Sounds like a money-maker for the chiro.  You go in with foot/ankle pain and he does a back x-ray?  I wouldn't sign up for 30 visits.  Your foot is fine and you are running great.  Thank him and move on.  You can always go back if something else turns up.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-24 10:12 AM
I may not be the person to talk to because I am going to a chiropractor pretty regularly for adjustments...for problems related to a hip that was off-kilter and damage to three areas of my spine. :blush: For me, though, the damage and misalignment were clearly visible and I knew where the damage had happened, and when. I also had a chiro who encouraged PT along with adjustments, to help reduce the number of visits over time. I could see a clear need for the treatment, and was reassured by the obvious goal of working toward reducing the need for regular visits.

Now...straightening out all the pieces-parts has helped reduce daily pain, appears to have stopped the progress of the damage, and is helping me function better. However, it has also meant that I have had to address the fact that all the muscles in my right leg are adapted over nearly a decade and thousands of miles of running, to running a little off-kilter, and now I am having to go back to square one and re-train and re-build those muscles, which is a giant freaking PITA...but it is also reducing wear and tear on my knee and my lower back.

So in my case, I feel chiropractic has been a good choice for the long-term, even though I also retain some skepticism of how chiropractic is sometimes sold to consumers.

Your case sounds less clear-cut, and you might be okay just not doing anything for a while and seeing how you feel. Trust you gut. Or your cuboid. Whichever is giving you the most information right now. :happy:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-07-24 12:29 PM
The clue is in the "30".  If he and you listened to your body, it would not be specified up front.  Even when I was rear-ended and was pretty bad off, the number of visits was not specified.  You feel good.  You don't need to go.  You start feeling out of place, you go in again.  Simple.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Mondailies