Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / How's Everyone Today? Sunday 7/22
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-22 5:00 AM
So, what's up?

Lots of great holidays today (https://www.checkiday.com/)

Parents' Day
Auntie's Day
Hammock Day
Lion's Share Day
National Penuche Fudge Day
Pi Approximation Day
Spoonerism Day
National Ratcatcher's Day
Summer Leisure Day

What's your favorite?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-22 5:11 AM Edited 2018-07-22 5:35 AM
Having formally been a math geek (although I have forgotten how to do much of anything in math now) my favorite of today's holidays is Pi Approximation Day. 
It's the 22nd day of the 7th month: 22 / 7 = 3.1428571428

I got up at 5:30 and shortly after that I started a somewhat major software update at work. I've done much bigger ones, but this one is changing 2 of our core database files with a couple hundred million records and 380 programs. I used to not be able to start these until much later on Sunday because the system does it's full backup on Saturday night and it used to take forever. But our systems guy has enhanced that and I could have actually started as early as 5:12. The extra 7 hours of available time really reduces my stress on these things.  I could actually be done in time to go to church!

I don't think I am going to workout today but, who knows, I could change my mind and go for a walk later and do some core exercises.

Because of my stomach troubles I had cut out coffee for a few weeks but I have added back in a mug each morning. I used to drink 2-3 mugs and then switch to decaf for countless more mugs per day. Now after my one mug, if I need a hot drink to help me think I have various teas which have no caffeine and some that are supposed to be good for your stomach. My point of writing all this is to say, as long as I am only drinking one mug each morning, I decided to buy some whole bean coffee and breakout my manual grinder and french press. I did that this morning and it sure beats the Keurig.

Here is the story on our new (used) car:
Cindy's parents have always been nuts about cars. They have a Hummer and a Mercedes Sports Coupe now, but they have had Jeeps, Mazda convertibles, trucks, and on and on. When they moved to this area about 15 years ago they became good friends with a guy, Rusty, (and wife) who has a small used car lot (5-6 cars at a time.)  They have bought and traded with him many times. We got our Buick there and Cindy's sister has gotten a couple cars there. Cindy's parents are good friends with the couple and they go there just to talk and the couple has been to their house for visits.  Cindy's mom has various accounts in various banks, but she has one check book that has been only used for deals at the used car lot.  It is a big running joke about her showing up with her check book.  (That is the background to yesterday.)

Cindy's mom has very few good days and goes out very little. Friday, she was feeling good and wanted to go to Rusty's.  Cindy went with her parents. It was sort of like old times with story telling and Rusty trying to get Cindy's dad to switch his Mercedes with the newer nicer one on the lot. For some reason he didn't want to do it, but Cindy liked the car.  Her mom said she would write the check for the car if we wanted it.  So yesterday, Cindy took me for a test drive and I liked the car too.  So we told Cindy's mom we would get the car and for the second day in a row, her mom got out of the house and we all went over to Rusty's. We sat around and told the same stories over again and then the magic check book came out. Cindy's mom isn't able to write a check so Cindy had to do it.  (We'll pay them back for the car, but it had to be paid from that checkbook.)

Anyway, the short version of all that is that we bought the car, in large measure, so Cindy's mom could have a couple good days.  (Not that I mind getting a nicer car than we currently had.)

(Sorry to write so much, but my software update is on a step that takes a long time to complete.)
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-22 5:43 AM
Ah. The old push the button and glare at the screen daring it to fail.

I remember doing a conversion that testing showed should take 2 hours and wound up taking 12. This was back in the day when working from home simply was not an option. The three of us on duty passed the time with coke-bottle bowling, office chair racing and seeing how far we could toss a nerf football between the top of the cubicles and the ceiling tiles.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-22 7:19 AM
So it was a win, win for all!  Glad that Cindy's Mom has had some good days.  Now tell me, how easy is it for them to get into the Hummer?  Gosh I think those vehicles are huge.  Don't think I could drive one.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-07-22 10:30 AM
I will have to share the Pi Approximation with my girl. She will love that.

When our coffee pot broke we have since been making it the one cup Melita way. I'm not sure of the real term for doing it that way. I use my French Press for my Yerba Mate. I am not a huge coffee fan, but I get a craving now and then. And making pots of coffee was wasteful for that reason. I do like coffee better that way. So I get it.

That is a great car story Dave. I love that!! So sweet. That car already has a good moment memory.  :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-22 5:36 AM
Good morning ,Dave. Hopefully the install goes well.

We tried out a new "Fast Casual" restaurant last night that specializes in Peruvian Rotisserie chicken. Pretty good.

National Ratcatcher's Day ?? Huh.

Today's exercise will depend on the weather. If it isn't raining, I will probably go out and slop along the Creek road trail for a few miles. Otherwise, it will be on the ET.

Wrote out the first check to the University of DE. And so the adventure begins.

Mark.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-22 11:09 AM
The tuition checks are always painful, but the adventure is great.:wink:    Rebecca is going to do amazing things.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-22 7:22 AM
My favorite is national leisure day; especially if I have a good book to read.

All we can do is talk about the weather.  I think it peaks today and there is a very small chance of rain late in the week, I certainly hope it comes down.

Nothing much going on.  Went to see "Mamma Mia Here We Go Again" last  night and it was so entertaining and just made me feel good.   I like those kind of movies.

Have a good Sunday all!
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-22 7:44 AM
The new Mission Impossible move that comes out next week is getting some great reviews. Not really a kids movie so I'm not sure when I'll be able to go. Annabelle will be back with us when it comes out.

Our home office is in Dallas and they have been complaining about the heat.

We're 70's and rain today. I'm loving it.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-07-22 10:40 AM
It's raining cats and dogs!! So no run today. It's rest day anyway. I found a 10K plan I might start tomorrow.

My new cat has taken to marking the bed in our music/extra room. :mutmad: I keep cleaning it. Today I am really taking it apart to get her to stop!! I keep asking her what her issue is. Tell me man I'll fix it, but don't do this...she just says mow, mow, mow....can someone translate? I need a cat whisperer.

Seems I am becoming the neighborhood cat sitter. The lady across the street asked me a couple of weeks if I would check on her cats this week. The new neighbor yesterday posted on this neighborhood app she needed a sitter. She doesn't really talk to any one, but I talk to her when I see her and her daughter loves coming over to watch Chris work on cars. So I texted her about why she didn't just come over and ask. "She said oh I could never ask that of you." After some back and forth over it she couldn't believe how generous I was to feed her cat for 2 weeks. I live right next door...it doesn't seem like a huge deal. I wonder about the younger generation sometimes. Am I missing something?

That's all I got...
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-22 11:08 AM
If you figure out the cat speak let me know.  Or maybe I don't really want to know what my Pierre is saying...
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-22 11:06 AM
I'll go with ratcatcher day - our friend down the street claims a rat came into his yard from his next door neighbors.  He is stirring up all kinds of angst.  Passing petitions, bad mouthing the rat neighbors.  :roll:  I like both families.  I think the rat is just hanging out in the storm sewer with the occasional raccoon, opossum, and skunk that I've seen.  Let's all be friends.

My day with Amy was trying.  No chairs in the 3 shops we scoured.  Then the oil change place was closed so we went to WAlmart for that.  On a Saturday; just shoot me.   And we got to our favorite coffee shop 15 minutes before closing so had to take our coffee to go rather than settling in for a nice visit.

Cool and cloudy.  No rain though.  I'd like to try for a couple miles before supper time.   When I wait that long it usually doesn't happen.  In the meantime Lee is trimming the hedge so I need to get out and do my part with cleanup.  See ya!

PS. Dottie has her Tri today.  Go Dottie!!!!
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-07-23 5:14 AM
Awww I use to have a rat, of course I"m not sure it's a pet variety...I agree let's all live together. It's their earth too.  That's a bummer. Oooh I never go to Walmart, unless I absolutely have to. You could sit with your coffee 15 minutes before closing? :meh:

If I don't run in the morning it rarely happens, it has on occasion but very rarely. I am a morning runner. I think that is why the trail run is so difficult for me. Did you get it in?

I saw her post on IG. I have been wondering how it went. The Tri in Boston had the swim portion canceled yesterday. It was pouring at times and there was a small craft advisory.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-23 6:30 AM
I did and it was a real ego boost.  My Garmin malfunctioned and said I was running 6 minute miles!!!  Woo Hoo, I was flying!:laugh:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-07-23 6:45 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-22 2:11 PM
Forget to mention that I gave blood today!  All went well.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / How's Everyone Today? Sunday 7/22