Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursdailies Perfect Weather
- - By judyruns Date 2018-07-19 5:46 AM
Post. :happy:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-07-19 5:47 AM
Wednesday I dashed out early and got in 30 minutes in the park. The joke of the day was that I was totally prepared for the water to be turned off. It never happened. :laugh: The engineers needed a special tool and parts. Wrong ones were sent. They can go ahead and reschedule since I had a great dry run (ha!) of how to do a whole day readjusted to the absence of water.
Today I hope to do a trail run, then grocery and possibly library.
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-19 9:14 AM
Sounds nice!  Enjoy the rest of your day.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-07-19 3:53 PM
I hope you got to see animals on your trail run!
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-19 9:23 AM
Walked to and from the elementary school where the marching band rookie camp is taking place in the mornings.  I always enjoy running laps while listening to their director.  I've told him once he retires, he could generate some income by selling motivational recordings.  :laugh:  Anyway, some of my former middle school students joined this year, so it was good to see them.  :hug:  Ran 5 miles around the track.  So a little more than 8 miles total for the day.

Then I came home and spray painted a garden bench.  We bought it from Lowes maybe not quite 2 years ago?  (I remember it was Christmastime because they had this bright red metal bench decorated with greenery.)  Anyway, within a matter of months, the bench was faded to almost white.  :meh:  So yesterday I steel-wooled it, and today I cleaned it with denatured alcohol and then spray painted it bright red again.  It looks so nice!

Now off to get some garden produce from my friends.  I should probably post this on NRR, but we've been having raccoon issues.  It was getting into our bird feeders, two of which are hung from a tree.  We've lived here 4 years with these feeders and this is a new problem.  There's really no way to keep it out of the feeders and there's no other good place to put the feeders where we can enjoy watching the birds.  So the other day, I began bringing those two feeders in at night.  Well, I guess the little bugger was upset we took away his birdseed buffet and looked elsewhere... my garden.  He plucked and half-ate every single ripening tomato we had (maybe 4 at this point.)  Left the remnants lying on the ground.  Then this morning those remnants were gone, so I guess he finished them last night.  At least nothing went to waste, I suppose.  :roll:  I would love to trap and re-locate this raccoon, but I learned it's illegal to do that here.  I guess now I have to put an electric fence around my teeny garden to keep him out of there.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-07-19 11:50 AM
Good work on the 8 miles! I was an instrumental music teacher in my post college years. I taught 4-12 and it was so interesting to see how the talents developed throughout that period. We didn't have middle school then, it was 7-9 so we saw quite a difference during those years.

Good work on the bench. DC (dear companion) has lots of plants. He had more deer problems but the affected were all flowers. He sprayed and that helped a lot, but you sure can't spray tomatoes. :shocker!:

This morning I heard the coyote pack howling down in the park where I run. There is a train track there and when a train whistles sometimes the young ones howl back at it... I think it's the yodel. :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-07-19 12:25 PM
For deer, sometimes if their path is established, the only thing is a single or double (inner and outer boxes) fence that is 8' high (their standard jumping height if they've a running start)... deer do not like to jump if they cannot see their landing spot, so sometimes two fences work better, one inner and one around it with a small space in between that catch the deer and send them jumping back the way they came.

And then there is planting plants that deer do not like.....

Signed,
one who has had extensive deer problems in her veg garden and is now the owner of a tall fence round the yard and second fence round the veg garden.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-07-19 3:57 PM
Can you put the bird feeders on poles or would a raccoon climb it? We have squirrels feasting on the bird food, so DH bought food for the squirrels. Unfortunately, the dogs eat the squirrel food.:laugh: It must be cool to listen to the band.
Parent - - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-19 6:44 PM
I have one feeder on a pole but I don't have a good place to put two more poles.  They'd be under the tree and apparently raccoons will climb the tree and drop down onto the pole.

<off to bring in the feeders for the night again...>
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-07-19 7:33 PM
It won't solve the garden problem, but you could look into squirrel-proof feeders.  The same design would likely deter raccoons as well.  Mom has a feeder designed with a cage around it so small birds can reach inside to get food but squirrels can't reach in.  My sister has one with weighted perches, so if something on the perch weighs too much it will close the feeder.  Either type of design might work for you.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-20 6:52 AM
I've got one of those with the cage around it.  The raccoon got it off the carabiner, and when it dropped to the ground, it worked the cage completely off it and opened it up!  I have no idea how it did that because it's not easy to get the cage off - it catches on the little bird perches.  Yet this raccoon was successful.

We have another feeder where a heavy weighted animal (large bird, squirrel, etc.) will close the holes when it gets on the perch.  So for that one (which was also on a carabiner), the raccoon apparently grabbed the entire feeder, winding it (it's suspended from a wire) around and around the tree branch until the feeder was up against the branch.  Then it RIPPED the lid off, destroying the clips that hold it in place.

This is one smart, strong, and dextrous raccoon.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-07-19 3:52 PM
I rode my bike this morning, but did an easy ride and then did push-ups. My push-ups are better. I went to the foot doc and he gave me a cortisone injection in my foot to calm the neuroma. I want surgery for it because it bothers me a lot. Guess I have to follow protocol first. I also have problems with the tendon that attaches from my big toe to the arch. That is the worst of my problems, and has bothered me for a year. I probably should have continued going so it was resolved. I'm on anti-inflammatories for a few days. I know that won't help because I was on them and it still hurt, but again, I will follow protocol. The doc said the shot usually spreads out so it might help and in two weeks if the tendon still bothers me, he'll do an injection in the tendon. Fingers crossed I'll see an improvement. Hoping to bike longer on Saturday. I'm proud of my push ups now, so that's good.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-19 4:47 PM
Your poor foot. :sad: Do the muscles between the big toe and the arch of your foot cramp up?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-07-20 3:43 PM
No cramping. If I don't stretch it, it gets better, but that's hard not to do.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-07-19 6:00 PM
Sending healing vibes to your foot. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :hug:
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-19 6:41 PM
I hope you can get the neuroma corrected.  That sounds so painful.  :sad:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-07-19 4:46 PM
Took the bike out today and explored more of the area around my neighborhood. According to Google Maps, which now lets you measure distances for specific routes, I did a 9.6-mile loop. Also did some burpees and arm weights. Not a huge amount, but it was nice to get outside and didn't stress my leg too much. I walked 4.5 miles yesterday in the park, which left my right calf kind of sore and stiff.

It's been a nice warm day here and we have had lots of rain lately, so it actually feels a bit humid. I like it.
Parent - By Hay Burner Date 2018-07-19 6:43 PM
It's nice you have a neighborhood you can bike in.  That is one thing I really miss about NoVa.  Hope your leg is okay!
Up Topic Communities / Women / Thursdailies Perfect Weather