Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / July Book Club
- By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-07-17 6:32 AM
It's more than half over already :shocker!:
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-07-17 6:35 AM
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown. This was a great book but a super tough read because of what happens to each and every tribe.

El Deafo by Cece Bell. My kids liked this a lot but I there was just something that I didn't love about it. I guess I was hoping there were more "lessons" that the author learned or that she stepped up for herself at some point.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-17 8:57 AM
Read Bury My Heart years ago..yes, what happened is so so sad. This country was build on some seriously bad mojo.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-07-17 9:27 AM
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is amazing but terrible. Very, very sad indeed. We just finished watching Ken Burns' The West which is similar in some ways. It also documents the decimation of the American Native populations. (Same shit here in Canada, I am aware of that).
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-17 9:40 AM
Bury My heart is absolutely gutting.

I'm sorry you didn't love El Deafo
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-17 9:50 AM Edited 2018-07-17 9:54 AM
I'm glad that your kids have better taste in books than you.: pbbt:

I liked that El Deafo didn't solely focus on the main character's deafness. I thought it did a great job of portraying that age in general. By doing that it showed that El Deafo's experiences were unique but also every-kid experiences.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-07-17 9:53 AM
I agree, and that was all really good. However, she kept getting trampled on and used by other people and I guess I was just hoping it would come around to her telling people her needs and wants instead of keeping them to herself.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-17 9:55 AM
You have to admit that spelling "attic" (a titty I see) is COMIC GOLD.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-07-17 9:58 AM
:laugh: My kids loved that and there is a spot where someone says "hell" which they kept wanting to go back and look at :laugh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-17 10:28 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2018-07-26 10:03 AM
did you know CeCe Bell is married to Tom Angleberger (origami yoda etc)?

Your kids (older guy especially) might like Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales (non fiction/historical graphic novels) if you haven't read them yet.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-17 7:33 AM
Vampire Hunter D by Hideyuki Kikuchi. This book is the inspiration for the anime classic of the same name. There’s a whole series (something like 25) of books that follow this one. I’m not going to dive right into the entire series right away but I do plan on reading more in the future.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-17 8:55 AM
Dreams from My Father, Barak Obama. Just a quarter or so of the way in. Fascinating. I had know idea of what his early life was like. The writing is very good. Looking forward to the rest.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-17 9:40 AM
I loved that book!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-17 10:03 AM
no:roll::laugh:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-17 9:39 AM
I've read a few this month...Let's see

Circe--I really enjoyed this one
The Perfect Mother--fluff, an easy fun thriller
Yes We (Still) Can-this was written by one of the Pod Save America guys, it was ok. At this point I take hope anywhere I can get it, these are dark times.
The Outsider--a good enough Stephen King, definitely a nice distraction

Currently reading
Gun Love
Waiting for the Punch (Marc Maron book)

Next up:
Liar's Club for my book club.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-07-17 10:22 AM
You read a lot :shocker!:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-17 10:42 AM
It helped that I had a lot of flights and two of the books I read in june but finished July 1! But yeah, I read a lot and am a very fast reader.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-17 12:33 PM
Do you listen to WTF?  If so, as a regular listener, did you enjoy the book if you already listened to the interviews?  I've seen mixed reviews about that, but figure I would take your view as opposed to someone I don't know.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-17 12:55 PM
R and I are both avid listeners to WTF. Yes, I do kind of like the book because the way he organizes it is fun. I am reading it on devices (iPad, phone) so it is perfect for that type of reading, I can just pick it up read a few quotes and think about them. He also juxtaposes some quotes from guests that I wouldn't necessarily think of together, so it is interesting from that perspective. I wouldn't necessarily read through the whole thing in a weekend.

On another note, did you hear the Ray Liotta interview last week? I thought it was absolutely great, there were parts of it that I found genuinely moving.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-17 1:25 PM
No, I haven't listened to that interview yet.  I have to go downtown tomorrow, so I will listen on my drive.  Thanks!
- By Tommeke Date 2018-07-17 11:21 AM
I finally finished Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut. The book I liked the least until now. Didn't hold me back to order 3 more books by him. :laugh:

Starting with "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. Funny thing is this book plays in the background of the revival of puritanism after the Clinton affairs (The Dress, not the emails :roll:). 20 years later it's the exact same story. The first 3 pages read as accusation against the current conservative climate just as much as 20 years ago.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-07-17 12:30 PM
Mostly finished George Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and London . Great writing and attention to details , but as Beard said quite depressing .Written in 1933, it describes conditions in Parisian restaurants that are not pleasant or appetite inducing , to say the least .
Minus 5 Michelen stars , I’d say . 

I do so enjoy his style though and will read more.Orwell.

Next in line is Born A Crime ,Trevor  Noah’s memoir I just received for my Bday from DD # 1 .:hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-17 12:56 PM
Born a Crime is SO GOOD!
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2018-07-26 10:04 AM
i loved it! the audio is the BEST
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-07-17 5:58 PM
The Rooster Bar by John Grisham. I was skeptical, being a former law student, former practitioner and current judge...but this is an outstanding and gripping novel about all those things and more.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-07-20 7:52 AM
And very reflective of reality, particularly that of student debt. :cry: I was soooo fortunate to avoid some of that; my sub-prime law school at least gave me an 85% scholarship. :laugh::blush:
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-07-18 10:30 AM
I'm currently reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killerby Michelle McNamara and it's just...not good. The order of the book is confusing, there are way too many details we don't really need (about how neighborhoods came to be etc) and I'm just a little bored with it. Obviously, I know that she died while writing it, which is such a sad thing as I feel like this could have been a GREAT book had it come out with her finishing it and being around for the guy to be caught. Also, because we now know who did it, the whole time I am reading about theories I'm yelling in my head "it's another cop you dummies!".
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-07-18 10:58 AM
I found details about the neighborhoods really interesting because some are close to where I live.  Rancho San Miguel in Walnut Creek is only a mile from my house! :shocker!:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-19 3:20 PM
I read that before they caught the guy, so I found a lot of it intriguing.  That said, you could tell what parts she wrote, rewrote, and edited, what parts were "in process" before she died, and what sections others write to fill in the blanks.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-20 7:46 AM
interesting, this has been on my 'to read' list, but I wonder if it will be disappointing
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-23 1:43 PM
I would suggest listening to the Criminology podcast (season 2) instead of the reading the book.  I finished the book before listening to the podcast and found the podcast more of what I was looking for.  They caught guy when they were recording episode 10 and actually extended the season.  The fact they caught him, did not take away from listening to it.....I was only episode 4 or 5 when he was caught.  Certain thing are tough to hear and since they want to "respect" each victim, they touch upon almost of the crimes with some amount of detail.  That gets very repetitive, but, also gives you insight into how fkkkked up this guy is and what his MO was.  The book is MUCH MUCH less comprehensive.  But, it all depends what you are looking for.
- By jennyO Date 2018-07-18 11:00 AM
Currently reading Speak by Louisa Hall, and listening to Alex Hutchinson's Endure.
- By runnertype [us] Date 2018-07-20 7:50 AM
Just finished "The Weight of This World" by David Joy. It was a quick and compelling read, I thought. Extremely violent, so if that's off-putting, I'd avoid it. Author is from Western NC; has written several novels as well as some short pieces about issues around Appalachian culture/living. I'll be checking out his other books.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-20 8:27 AM
I'm about 70 pages into North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail by Scott Jurek. I had read his first book a number of years ago and remember thinking it was decent but not great. This one is a lot better, I'm really enjoying it.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-07-23 1:30 PM
Didn't know about this one.  Adding it to my list...
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-23 7:26 PM
I’m about 3/4 of the way through. It’s really good.
- By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-20 11:28 AM
I am listening to The Black Book by James Patterson and David Ellis. So far it's really good and hard to "put down" after a run!
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-26 9:24 AM
Reborn on the Run: My Journey from Addiction to Ultramarathons by Catra Corbett.

The same neighbor that lended me the Scott Jurek book shared this one.

I'm about 50 pages in. She has an interesting (though not unique) story about drug addiction and finding ultra running and I think that the book will be enjoyable enough but, holy hell, the writing is poor and there are a lot of typos.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-07-26 2:50 PM
My library only carries the electronic copy, and since I live outside the tax base and pay a yearly subscription fee, I'm not eligible to access electronic books, music, etc.  :mutmad: 

if there's a will, there's a way
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-27 7:29 AM
I’m nearing the end of the Catra Corbett book. It’s repetitive, poorly written, full of editing errors and not very interesting. 2/10.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-07-26 2:48 PM
How To Change Your Mind by Michael Pollen - not sure what I think so far, but overall, the author is losing credibility with me, though I'm not sure he deserves it.  I believe psychedelics could be useful for all the reasons he gives in the first chapter, and if I had legal access to them, I'd be tempted, but I wouldn't want anything to do with the so-called "guides" that lead people on their trips. 

I've read Chapter 1, then jumped to the chapter where he talks about his personal experiences (trips).  I plan on going back and reading what I skipped, but we'll see.
Parent - - By oitsubob [us] Date 2018-07-26 2:56 PM
Sounds similar to some of Timothy Leary's works.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-07-26 5:40 PM
Timothy is mentioned a lot of times in this book, though not always favorably.  Some credit with destroying "legitimate" research by his grandstanding.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-27 6:49 AM
Heard an interview with him on Fresh Air a month or so ago. I thought it was interesting--in possible treatment for mental illness and hope it is researched more. He also talked about the use of psychedelics for people struggling with terminal illness and how it brought some relief.
Parent - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-07-27 9:46 AM
I heard this as well. There is an excerpt of the book in the Sunday NYT Magazine archives, I believe.

A little known fact about Bill W. (co-founder of AA) is that he experimented with LSD in his later years (after decades of sobriety), in hopes of finding a "cure" for alcoholism, and treatment for his long-standing, very severe depression.

I'm all for research into anything that could potentially improve mental health, especially for conditions that are pernicious and difficult to treat. I wish some of the prejudices held by the powers that be did not impact research dollars as much as they do. All that said, I won't be lining up to try hallucinogens. :grin: I'm pretty happy with my quality of life; and more importantly, had a very scary story told to me as a teenager by my mother regarding her experience with psychedelic drugs. She nearly drowned in Lake Michigan...:shocker!:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-07-30 12:11 PM
I agree with both of you.  There was an excellent story some months ago of a man who found relief from severe depression brought on by PTSD from serving in Iraq.  The treatment that saved him involved taking MDMA in conjunction with talk therapy.  Something about the author's take is not settling well with me, and I've yet to sort that out.
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-08-01 8:53 AM
I know what you mean, I think. I have this pesky Midwesterner bullshit detector/skepticism sometimes. It's always hard to tell if I'm being close-minded or displaying common sense. :grin::cry:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-08-01 8:55 AM
If this were Facebook, I'd hit the "like" button for this ^ :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-30 12:23 PM
I believe I heard the same interview.  Interesting and agree more research would be beneficial.  That said, I am not at all interested in any first hand experience/
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / July Book Club