Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday's daily
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 12:20 PM
You know what to do.

Monday, Monday. Can't trust that day. Agree or disagree and why.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 12:58 PM
Planet of fitness day here at lunch. Probably no run today, as I need to do some yard stuff after work (mow and weed whack). Did not run yesterday either but managed about 8 on Saturday on the trails out at Birdsboro. Took a trip down to DE yesterday with the missus to tour one of the duPont mansions and gardens (Winterthur), and then did some mid-summer maintenance on the front flower beds.

Interesting bit from last night... It was late evening, and our neighbor the retired veterinarian was talking with the wife about the lilies and such and we had been watching this hot air balloon out in the distance. It started to descend, and it looked to me like it was going to land on the golf course about a 1/4 mile away. So we were walking around the backyard, and boom, here comes this hot air balloon descending over the tree line, over the neighbors back yard, smack dab between our 2 houses and then it lands on our front yard. So we had practically the whole neighborhood here in our little cul-de-sac snapping photos and taking in the scene. This is actually the second time a hot air balloon has landed in our cul-de-sac. I missed the actual landing of the last one so this was cool. I was talking to the operators and they go up to 5,000-6,000 feet.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-07-09 1:08 PM
Whoa!!! That’s so crazy!
Funny, the other day my daughter said she wanted to do a hot air balloon ride! Not me! No way!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-09 1:11 PM
There's a hot air balloon event here at the beginning of August. They've landed a bunch of times up at my house when the wind is right. Pretty cool to see. Park guy use to pilot balloons.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:46 PM
That so so cool about the hot air balloon! Why did they land there? :wtf:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 2:39 PM
We have a few balloon operators around here, and from what they were telling me is that it's up to the wind currents in regard to the general area that they land as they can only control up and down. So I guess they ended up near here, probably picked our development as a landing zone due to lack of above ground powerlines.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:48 PM
Neat!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-07-09 3:48 PM
Holy Hell! :shocker!: But yes that is cool. :cool:

Glad you were able to get out on trail on Saturday. This weekend was fantastic around these parts and I enjoyed my first trip on the AT in a while yesterday in addition to yardwork, picnics and other stuff outside made all the more enjoyable by the conditions.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-07-09 4:16 PM
:cool:  We used to have balloons fly over the farm.  Kinda spooky for the cows.  :grin:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-07-10 1:37 PM
That's so cool! I know which one landed in your yard because we were watching it from our house! We've had 3 land in our neighborhood that I can remember. Our area gets a lot of landings.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-07-09 3:54 PM
Nothing today except a trip to the doc for a wellness physical and tests since I haven't done that since 2011 when my longtime doctor retired. I love my new doc and she says I'll live. :happy:

Nothing wrong with Mondays imo. Most bad news happens during the week and hasn't started yet on Monday since peeps are golfing or other harmless stuff on the weekend.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-09 12:22 PM
Ha!! I just deleted mine :laugh:

Yawn! I'll start um (guess not). Dragging today. Ran 18 Saturday and 11 hilly Sunday plus a ton of yard stuff. The weather was gorgeous.

God I had weird dreams last night. One woke me up laughing. It was ridiculous :laugh:

5 or 6 after work. Maybe just walk tho..

What's up with YOU?!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 12:28 PM
That's a lot of miles for the weekend! No wonder you are dragging! How is the hamstring?

My coworker told me about a weird dram she had....apparently I pulled her aside in the hall here at work and very seriously told her not to wear dark-colored shirts. :wtf::laugh: She was cracking up telling me this morning!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-09 12:33 PM
Hammy is good. Still feel something there, but it does not impede running at this point and I think will eventually get to a point where it is gone altogether.

that is funny about your co-workers dream :laugh:

Mine was just sooooo weird I am afraid to describe it :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:46 PM
:laugh::laugh: about your dream!

Yay about the hammy! :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-07-09 1:07 PM
That’s a good weekend of running!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:49 PM
That's very impressive mileage on back-to-back days!  :cool::cool::cool:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 12:26 PM
Today is a rest day. Yoga tonight.

Saturday I ran 10 miles and felt run into the ground. :cry: The weather was delightful and breezy, but I had to stop a lot which was frustrating. Yesterday was 10 miles on the bike. I asked my coach about my being run down, and he thinks it might be due to the prolonged heat we've been having. I melt in the heat, I always have. He says to see how I do with the cooler weather, and if I don't improve then to take a few rest days, and then if I still don't improve, to go to the doctor. He also thinks I might still be recovering from my marathon trifecta this spring. I just hope it passes soon so I can go back to feeling like regular crap on my runs instead of super crap. : pbbt:

I generally trust a Monday. Monday doesn't pull any punches, you always know what you are going to get!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-09 12:34 PM
That sounds like good advice!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 1:01 PM
I hope you get your energy back. Likely you just need cooler weather.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-07-09 1:06 PM
Hopefully it’s just the heat!!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:49 PM
Heat makes a huge difference for many of us, and three marathons close together is a big demand on your reserves, fit as you are.  :happy:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-07-09 12:57 PM
32 min HIIT spin workout
42 burpees
52 air squats
62 second plank
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 12:59 PM
I see a pattern in those numbers. It looks to me like you missed 72 of something there.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-07-09 1:00 PM
Yeah, I ran out of time! :laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:50 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-09 1:12 PM
Strong work!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:47 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-07-09 4:17 PM
Oof.  That's a lot of burpees!  and other stuff.  :happy:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:01 PM
Hang on folks, things are about to get cray-cray... 6.1 miles for me this morning.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-07-09 1:06 PM
:shocker!:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:47 PM
:shocker!:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:09 PM
3.50 miles w/ benji this morning. biked this weekend - 20 miles on Saturday and 35 yesterday w/ mrbarney. thought today might have me dragging some, but I actually put up some faster than usual miles, and I'm pretty happy about that. mr dog though decided he needed to do the dooky dance 3 times and I had only brought 2 bags w/ me :meh: luckily, the last one was near a park and someone had graciously decided to use the ground as their trash can so I was able to reuse an empty ziplock back for his doody and then throw it away properly.

we saw 3 walkers, 2 runners, 1 dog and a flock of wild parrots or parakeets, not really sure which. I will say that their nests up in the electrical poles were crazy big and wild.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:48 PM
I always bring the entire roll of poop bags when I walk Apollo, just in case. :roll:

Nice bike mileage! :cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:50 PM

> wild parrots or parakeets

:shocker!:  Sounds so exotic!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-07-09 4:15 PM
Tell that dogger to hold it--two is plenty!  :wink:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-09 1:26 PM
Went whitewater rafting today :grin: guess who was the doofus who fell out? :roll: pure Grace, I am. Banged up my elbow a bit, but otherwise ok. Better than when I cracked/bruised my tailbone tubing a couple of years ago. :blush: we have another adventure lined up in a few hours, but I'll post about that later, hopefully if I'm still alive and in one piece.

And with regards to Monday, when I booked the trip, I did not think about it being Monday morning rush hour traffic the week after the 4th of July. Was worried about traffic, but it wasn't bad thank goodness.

I've also already eaten a week's worth of calories in 2 days. :blush: it's vacation. It doesn't count.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:49 PM
Sounds like your vacation is off to a great start so far! Enjoy! :grin:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 2:36 PM
Cool on the rafting. I've been pitched out a few times. Where are you rafting? I've been down the rivers in WV and a few other places but the WV (New and Gauley Rivers) have been the best.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-10 7:40 AM
We looked at the Gauley last year when we went to cedar point, but it didn't work out. We were on Clear Creek in Idaho Springs, CO. Probably the right level for me. I kept telling my kids to be careful, and then who was the only one to get bounced out? : pbbt:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:51 PM
I'm awaiting your next post with bated breath!  I'd miss you - I hope you survive. :wink:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-09 7:23 PM
Ha! Nothing that dangerous. I went indoor skydiving. I was going to just pay for the kids, but at the last minute figured I'd kick myself if I missed out. I'm so glad I did it! And since they overbooked our slot, they asked if would come early. It suited us better that way, but they gave us a free high flight! Sooooooo much fun.  I'm trying to do all kinds of fun things before I get too old and brittle
- - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 1:29 PM
Hi everyone.  Popping back on here after a few days of nuttiness.  DD left for summer camp yesterday and also signed on to play a softball tournament last week with a new team.  Prepping for camp and ferrying her around to all the practices and games made life very full.  Also our older dog has been sick with epic diarrhoea since Friday and there have been episodes of her needing to go out in the middle of the night.  Poor thing.  :sad:

Had to get up at 4:00 am yesterday to leave the house in time to arrive in Calgary for DD's bus to summer camp.  I ate breakfast outside - it was just starting to get light at 4:00 am and the birds were singing like crazy.  It was quite a bit lighter by the time we left, just before 5:00.  Official sunrise was at about 5:15 so we saw that as we headed down the highway.  So pretty.  :hug:  DH and I had a second breakfast in Calgary after DD's bus left and then turned around and drove the four hours back home.  I had a two-hour nap after getting home, scraped myself out of bed to have supper, and then went back to bed for eleven hours.  :shocker!:  I needed the rest! 

Anyway, since I last posted, what exercise have I had... hmm, not much.  Wednesday I ran, Thursday I ran and did strength, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I did nothin'.  This morning I ran.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:50 PM
That's a lot of sleep! :shocker!: Did you feel refreshed after that?
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:51 PM
Yes!  :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 2:34 PM
Oh gosh, that is awful about the dog. I hope he/she is feeling better.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:52 PM
She seems to be rebounding - I hope it continues.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-07-09 4:18 PM
:happy:  Hope she continues on that path.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-09 1:33 PM
9km with Molly and the crew....gorgeous day here.  Reading a book on the deck and basically acting all mint.:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:50 PM
:hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 2:33 PM
Peppermint! :happy:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:52 PM
:cool:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:34 PM
Monday :meh:   but now it's the weekend...well, my mini 1 day weekend :wink:

I taught 6am spin class, then did a few core exercises (including a 2 minute plank), shoulder & hip exercises, swam 1200 meters and taught the 9:30am spin class.  Now I'm beat!  Didn't consume enough fluids & have a bit of a dehydration headache :sad: 

Two nice days over the weekend but the HOTT has now returned : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:51 PM
Busy day! :cool:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:52 PM
I noticed you posted a playlist for a spin class sometime over the past few days - how do you find all the songs you use?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-09 5:20 PM
I took a lot of spin classes in the year or two before I began teaching and got ideas from what other instructors use.  I've been known to drop some classic rock from "my era" in here & there.  There are several web sites and blogs where indoor cycling instructors will not only share playlists but also class profiles.  These are great for finding new (to me anyway) music and ideas for classes.  Some presets on my car radio are classic rock, current pop and alternative and the last two are helpful in finding music I might not otherwise listen to & some of it works in class.  I'll also "follow" some cycling instructors on Spotify & pick up some songs from there.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:51 PM
5 miles at noon.

First noontime run in a while. The weather wasn’t too bad and I knew the morning was going to be crazy, so it worked out great. Our in-town route has lots of stoplights so we get breaks fairly often.

The house was busy because our DIL started her new job this morning so she and my son will be in and out for the next few weeks until they move in at the end of the month. My wife is at camp this week and we are still hosting the oldest daughter’s dog so I had to walk him.

We were in the mountains in NC most of last week so enjoyed running in slightly cooler temperatures. Of course, the nicest day (mid-50’s when I woke up) was the day we had to leave and there wasn’t time to run.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 3:17 PM
mid-50s sounds amazing! Too bad you didn't get the chance to run in that!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:53 PM
Busy household!  Are DIL and your son living with you right now?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-07-10 8:19 AM
They will be back and forth for the next few weeks and then will be living with us at the end of the month. They saw a house last night that they love, but they might not be able to move in to that until October so they may be with us for a while.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-10 7:37 AM
:hug: the NC mountains! Asheville? Or somewhere else?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-07-10 8:17 AM
We were closer to Boone, so a bit north of Asheville.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-09 2:22 PM
I have no problem with Mondays.

Cardiovascular stress test this morning.

Background: It’s been discovered that I have a genetic heart condition (bicuspid aortic valve) which will likely require open heart valve replacement surgery in 2-4 years. I’m kind of freaked out by this. Especially as a solo parent who doesn’t want to leave his kids orphaned. Especially since I’m in a serious relationship with a widow and don’t want her to go through another horrific loss. Yes, the numbers work in my favor - 5 year survival rate of 95% following this type of procedure, and that number probably goes higher for me since I’m relatively young and healthy. But I’m still kind of freaked out. And a bit sad.

This morning’s test was to walk/run on a treadmill at a gradually increasing speed and incline, while hooked up to all sorts of measuring equipment. I got my HR up to 176. My cardiologist called me later and said everything went about the best it could have. So that’s good news. It probably pushes the surgery out to the far end of the 2-4 year range, or maybe even a little beyond. I can keep running, although I’m probably now “retired” from true all-out racing. Now the PF just needs to get better. In the meantime, I’ll keep biking.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-09 2:32 PM
That is scary about the heart thing. I remember you mentioning something once but I did not know you need surgery so soon. I would be freaked out and scared too. After 5 years, do the percentages change or stay the same? It sounds very serious. So sorry.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-09 3:19 PM
Sorry to hear you will need the valve replaced, but glad they found it! Being freaked out is pretty normal, especially considering your situation. :hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 3:54 PM
:hug::hug::hug:  I can understand being freaked out - that is big news to absorb, even though it seems you have the best possible prognosis.  :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-10 6:44 AM
Oh gosh. Yes, that would be worrying.:hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-10 7:36 AM
Oh my! Yes, that is definitely something to be worried about. I know technically it's not "bad" news, but wow. A lot to take in and process. :hug:
- - By SRoo Date 2018-07-09 4:13 PM
25 mile bike ride for me.  :happy:  The humidity has lifted, and it was a beautiful morning.  I saw one deer, 2 woodchucks/groundhogs, a mini donkey jack, a mare with a newish foal, and many squirrels.  Also 3 other cyclists and 2 buggies.  I was happy to get out there.  Last week I visited my parents in Kansas and did not get much exercise (other than biting my tongue :laugh: ).  Tonight I am grilling a steak, smashing some red potatoes, and roasting some vegetables.  :cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-09 4:26 PM

> other than biting my tongue

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The bike ride, and your planned supper. both sound fantastic!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-10 7:14 AM
You dinner sounds so yummy!

other than biting my tongue :laugh::laugh:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday's daily