Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / FriDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-06 11:26 AM
Post 'em.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-06 12:43 PM
Another slogfest of a run last night at Coventry Woods. I can't say it was the heat, I just don't feel right on the rocky trails some days, um, I mean most days. Mixed up my normal route slightly for about 6.5 mile run. Still sort of hot out there last night. There was a hint of storms in the air (distant thunder) but alas no rain during my run. It poured overnight, early morning with a loud bright thunder boomer.

Planet of fitness today at lunch. Might take the Lady for a short doggie joggie as the heat wave has broken though it's still a bit humid.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:14 PM
Im glad the storm missed you. :hug: thunderstorms - except while running! I'm so clumsy. I didn't run rocky/rooty trails well before, and I'm too chicken to run them now.  It only takes me smooth asphalt to trip me up :roll:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-07-06 1:34 PM
6.7 miles

13¢ (4 coins)

64º & cloudy at 0745

North Face Ultra TR II
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-06 11:32 AM
6 miles at nearly 8500 feet in Colorado......only about 8100 feet higher elevation than I am used to running at.....and wasn't too bad as I ran the same pace I usually run.:roll:  After a night of wine drinking. :laugh:

My SIL's wedding is this afternoon....she will have beautiful weather.:hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 11:57 AM
Whoa! Strong work! :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:02 PM
Nice run! Enjoy the wedding!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:15 PM
enjoy the wedding, and the lovely scenery!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:32 PM
nice job! Whew!

LOVE Colorado. Enjoy the wedding :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-06 12:46 PM
I hope that you ran on a trail!! Good work though on the elevation. I sucked wind the first few miles of most of my runs out there. Who knew smooth single track through a scenic meadow could feel so hard?!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-06 1:26 PM
:cool::hug::cool:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-06 4:38 PM
Does the lower wind resistance offset the reduced oxygen in the air? Nice run. Enjoy the wedding. Did you get inked yet?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:11 PM
I hope it's going well! We will be heading out that way tomorrow :grin:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-06 11:39 AM
9km Molly and me in the rain.....Happy Appleton Day...some call it Aphelion the sun and a moon and some kind of orbit thing going on or to me a tasty rum....ask that N70SAK dude for the science explanation :hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 11:58 AM
:cool:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-06 1:56 PM
:cool:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:02 PM
I take it that Molly likes the rain?
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-06 1:57 PM
She loves it....those labs prefer the mud and water (slush and snow) over everything else:hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:15 PM
:happy: sounds nice.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-06 1:58 PM
:wink:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 11:59 AM
Rest day! Though will go for a stroll/photo shoot around campus shortly.

The heat finally broke. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:02 PM
Nice! :grin:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:16 PM
yay for the heat breaking!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-06 1:33 PM
that's good news!
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:01 PM
This morning it was torrentially thunderstorming so DH and I made the wise decision not to go outside and bike. : pbbt: So that will happen this afternoon. 8 miles on the schedule plus strength training (which we never do).

Last night I swam 300 yards in the pool and then ran 5 miles. The run felt better than the last few, but it still didn't feel good. My legs constantly feel dead, and I'm even having trouble walking up the stairs at work. :shocker!::meh: I am blaming that on all of the swimming and biking since my running miles are low right now. Maybe if I did the strength training that I never do but is always on the schedule then my legs would get stronger and they wouldn't feel dead all the time. :wtf:

Happy Friday y'all! :grin:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:16 PM
it is hard to fit everything in, strength training always takes a back seat.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 1:20 PM
Nice variety tho :grin:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-06 1:29 PM
softball too? are you eating enough? sleeping enough? etc etc. feeling so sore isn't a good sign and i'd work on recovery a bit more rather than piling on more work. i sometimes get that way too and it's tough to figure out.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:18 PM
Well I'd say you made the right defision! Storms not good for outdoor recreation.

As far as your dead legs... I haven't been following enough to give advice. I definitely go through blah periods, but if it's THAT bad for long enough, you made want to take a closer look maybe even with a doc.  Struggling to walk upstairs sounds bad, unless of course it's the typical DOMS just you can pinpoint.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:22 PM
7.5 miles.

For the third weekend in a row I will be traveling for part of the weekend with my kiddo, and my DH leaves today on another trip. I know this sounds obnoxiously entitled, so feel free to roll your eyes at me. But it is tiring-we all just need a quiet weekend at home. Hopefully next weekend, because after that we are gone again!

DH is going to a good friend's wedding, the travel is somewhat difficult-not exotic, just hard to get to-so I decided not to go. But then a business trip for me came up for next Tuesday. My brother, SIL and their baby live where my meeting is so I am taking N. She can hang out with her aunt and baby cousin while I work. It should be good and she is so excited that she gets to come on a work trip with me.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:32 PM
Totally understand needing a quiet weekend at home. You about as opposite as "obnoxiously entitled" as anyone person I know!
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-06 4:48 PM
^^
What she said

Very cool you’re bringing N along with you.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:47 PM
Glad the work trip worked out so you can take N! That will be fun for her. :hug:

Totally understand the need for a quiet weekend at home!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-06 1:30 PM
my idea of an ideal weekend is nothing scheduled! but then i cram all kinds of things in and overschedule it. :roll: i totally get wanting a quiet weekend and travel is very taxing.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-06 2:24 PM
I realized that N and I are traveling four of five consecutive weekends. Poor planning on my part.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:19 PM
Oh I get it! Except I'd love to send everyone else away and me stay at home. :blush:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-06 1:24 PM
tgif. that mid-week holiday was really tough for some reason although it was a very fun day. i've been really tired all week. Just 3 miles this morning and everything is feeling funky. This weekend is all about recovery. I'm only going to run tomorrow and not far (6-8) and then probably bike and/or deep water run sunday. napping will be encouraged. I am really looking forward to a non-running weekend. :blush::laugh:

i am, of course, having to replace a runner on my ragnar team right now. :roll: the relay is next friday/saturday.  So i have relay stuff to do this weekend in prep for that. anyone want to fly to Seattle? :grin::wink:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 2:00 PM
:grin:
- - By old turtle Date 2018-07-06 1:38 PM
7.2 miles in my neighborhood. Since my running partner who likes the hills is at the beach, I ran a lot of out and backs on the flatter roads. :laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 2:01 PM
Nice run OT!
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-06 4:46 PM
I’m pretty sure your running partner is running on flat terrain at the beach. Nice run!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:21 PM
Ha! I would do the same thing. I know you're somewhere in the Triangle, but not sure exactly what part.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-06 3:14 PM
SDO for me due to a 9:30am annual eye doc appt that included dilating my eyes.  The good news, my 65 year old eyes are the same as they were a year ago and the tweaking to my contact lens script he did last year (so that I don't need to use reading glasses) hasn't messed anything up!  I have been in glasses since the appt. since I've been too lazy once the dilation wore off to put the contacts back in : pbbt:

Running related stuff I did today...for one of the races my club puts on each summer an organization from Philly that provides life mentoring & running coaches for Philadelphia (and now Camden, NJ) middle & HS students brings their "teams" (by school) to our race (next Tuesday).  Since they are 100% donation (mostly corporate) funded and the kids don't pay for anything, including race entries, our race works out great since we've kept it free for anyone claiming to be a full time student since we started the series in 1993.  The organization covers the $5 entry fee for the adult coaches that run with the kids.  We don't have "regular" pre-registration but we learned years ago that while we can handle the usual ~100 or so entries on race evening, adding another 200-300 to that is nuts!  So, I have them send me a spreadsheet of their students & coaches who will run (since they need to gather that info for their transportation anyway) and I print out mailing labels & paste them on bibs.  Did all 262 of them this afternoon. 

Might meet a few people from a local Facebook triathlon page for a bike ride tomorrow morning. 

The gym is having a 3 week contest synched with the Tour de France stages.  The member participating in the most cycling classes from 7 - 29 July gets a free pair of cycling shoes...reported to be $150 value.  We were asked to use the Tour de France theme in our classes as best we could.  I have 3 classes set for next week that sort of mimic the terrain of the stage Tour riders will be riding each day.  I get to do them twice on Monday & Thursday since I'm teaching an extra class those days for an instructor on vacation.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-06 4:45 PM
Good stuff in there! Great to get kids running and great to motivate gym members to participate in classes. I love the Tour de France themed classes, complete with mimicking the terrain of that day’s stage
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:23 PM
Do you do the one contact thing? I switched to that last year. Took a few months for me to adjust, but I like it now. I find it's great for reading and OK for distance. I struggle some with mid distance like working on a computer.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-07 4:45 AM
No, two lenses.  One is set up for distance & the other for close.  I've had it that way for years but over time I needed to use reading glasses with them for reading newsprint (yes I still read a "hardcopy" newspaper), then the computer screen, etc.  My doc adjusted the prescription last year & since then I haven't needed the reading glasses! 

Several years ago we had a thunderstorm come up quickly near the end of a race our club puts on.  We had results boards made from drop ceiling tiles.  Had them flat on a table & the pre-storm wind caught one & it took off like a frisbee...got me squarely on the bridge of my nose and one eye.  For a bit I couldn't tell if it knocked a contact lens out or if it got pushed into a corner of my eye.  Eventually I concluded it was gone.  Driving 5 miles home with one lens...in the dark...in a drizzling rain, was scary!  Haven't had that situation repeat but since then I've always had a pair of glasses with me as backup!
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-06 4:41 PM
Biked to work. With my passport. Worked a full day, then took a Lyft to the airport. Flying to Toronto in a few minutes. Driving home tomorrow.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:24 PM
Have a safe trip :happy:
- By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-06 5:33 PM
Chilling now. Ran 9ish very easy in the muck this morning. I did venture up a big steep hill that I haven't done in over a year. Very slow, but no walking or stopping. I used to conveniently need to stop to tie a shoe or check my watch or something before. :blush: finished with Bulk
arms at newgym (now only gym since old gym closed) one of my new favorite exercises - tricep kickbacks but in (high one handed) plank. These workouts are killer. They are short (30 min), but have so little rest. Sometimes just enough to pick up a heavier weight.

Got off work at noon to take care of crap before vacation. Cleaned the house, did laundry, packed my stuff, DS1 came home with conveniently more laundry :roll:, made dinner... Now I'm pooped.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-07 5:15 PM
We were camping in Minnesota with friends.

An hour on the SUP on the Little Iowa River and Lake Louise followed by a 4.7 mile run on the trails.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / FriDaily