Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / How much would you pay?
- - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-07-05 4:57 PM
Background: the city I live in has a small-town parade on the Fourth of July, has had for the past 87 years or so. Lots of floats entered by various civic groups, all the high school marching bands and drill teams (we have 6 high schools), many other marching groups, equestrian groups, all that good stuff. Parade route is 2 miles. It lasts about 2 hours and people start setting up EZ-Ups and chairs at 6 AM for a 9 AM start.

Lots of people. Lots of beverages, adult and otherwise, consumed. So, of course, people need to get rid of all that fluid. Add to that a lot of the parade viewers are seniors, little kids, pregnant women, and the demand for public conveniences is high.

The city does not provide portapotties, except at the park which is at the end of the parade route and is also the start/finish of the 5K and 10K. They apparently expect the local businesses to welcome all these paradegoers with open arms and open doors. This does not happen. Many businesses do not open. Others claim their restrooms are out of order or just lock them and say nobody can use them.

The church I attend is on the parade route, about 1.5 miles in. A few years ago we started opening the parish hall before and during the parade and allowing the public to come in and use the bathrooms. Frankly, we'd rather have them use our bathrooms than our bushes, and also it's the neighborly thing to do, we think. Old people, expectant mothers, parents with little kids doing the potty dance, other parents with little ones who needed clean diapers. But it does involve some cost -- water, TP, towels, soap. So this year we put signs on the sidewalk announcing that restrooms were available, 238 people came in to use the bathroom (yes we keep count!), and one person asked if we had a donation basket. Hadn't thought of it but we said "OK, sure" and put one out, expecting singles or loose change.

When we counted the donations at the end of the morning we had more than we expected.

So how much would you pay in that situation? You're at a parade, the line at Starbucks is out the door, the closest park is a mile away, you need to go, and a local church has opened their bathrooms and has a donation basket out. How much would you be likely to drop in? Please note we were not actively asking, we just had a basket out in case people were of a mind to donate.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-05 7:21 PM
$5 seems reasonable and if you get a surplus donate it to a food bank or animal shelter :hug:
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-07-05 7:44 PM
I'd probably kick in $1 to $5.  Smart idea to put out the basket!
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-07-05 8:10 PM Edited 2018-07-05 8:18 PM
I’d say $5 is reasonable ,given the situation
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-06 5:17 AM Edited 2018-07-06 5:21 AM
I'd probably put a couple bucks in. Only problem is that I don't always carry cash at a race, but if my car was close I might jog there and run back to make a donation (after I peed). 

I'm glad you got some donations.:grin:

ETA: I automatically assumed that I was there for the 10K. :laugh: I don't do parades. : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:03 PM
:laugh: I'm there for the 10k too : pbbt:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-07-06 6:42 AM
Five dollars seems like a lot to me.   Probably loose change or a dollar if I had cash on me :-)
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-07-06 8:10 AM
I'd probably give between $1-$5, depending what bills I had on me. I think it's a great idea - esp as a mom of young kid(s)! - and I'm glad ppl donated.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2018-07-06 8:44 AM
This reminds me of the premium porta-potty bit from King of the hill... $1.:meh:
Parent - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2018-07-06 8:55 AM
I'd do between $1-$5.  It's a pretty good little fundraiser and while you're not going to get tons of $, you'll probably get enough to justify doing it.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-07-06 9:29 AM
1 Ave Maria and 3 Our Father's : pbbt:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-07-06 12:01 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:02 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-07-07 8:13 PM
:laugh: Except this is an Episcopal church not a Roman Catholic church. We challenged all the other churches along the route to open their bathrooms and got absolutely no response. I don't know if any of them did do it.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-07-06 9:44 AM
I think the last time I used a pay toilet it was a quid fifty.  :wtf:
Parent - By callie [ca] Date 2018-07-07 8:25 PM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-06 12:03 PM
I'd probably leave $1 or whatever I had in my pocket or purse.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-07-06 12:04 PM
I would happily pay $2.00 to powder my nose.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-07-07 8:10 PM
We had 3 people who apparently thought a clean, private, flush toilet and handwashing facilities were worth $20, since there were three 20s in the basket when we counted. :shocker!: Maybe they didn't have any change and were embarrassed to ask if they could get something back.

But good to know what the community thinks! And yes we had several 5K and 10K completers come in, runners can wind up parking a long way from the start/finish line since several major streets are blocked off and people want to park outside of the closed area. By the time you get to your car you have to pee again!
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-07 8:48 PM Edited 2018-07-07 8:56 PM
I’d honestly prefer a business/church/whatever close their bathrooms for the day rather than ask people to pay to use them. I find that really tacky. I find it even worse when it is an organization like a church that many people may not want to make donations to.

Please note, I know that your church first opened their bathrooms without asking for donations and only put out the donation basket after someone suggested it. Obviously there’s plenty of people that don’t share my opinion.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-07-08 7:33 AM
Obviously there’s plenty of people that don’t share my opinion

Get out of here :shocker!:: pbbt:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-08 8:31 AM
Parent - - By Annie Date 2018-07-08 11:44 AM
Are you against paying to use public bathrooms or just that it was a Church?
In Holland all the public bathrooms we used were pay and it was so nice. The bathrooms were clean and well stocked with tp and towels and some had an attendant. I came home thinking that the public bathrooms should be like that here.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-08 5:06 PM
Paying in general. I mention that it was a church because it’s an organization that some people would not want to give money to.

If we start having to pay for bathrooms then the Dutch have won. :cry::wink:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-07-09 12:43 PM
It seems somewhat intolerant to me on some level not to make a donation to a group that graciously opened their facility and bathrooms when they clearly didn't have to, like a church.  If I used the bathrooms at the Satan worshiping clubhouse, I would still give them a small donation, or I might choose to pee elsewhere.
Parent - - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2018-07-09 12:50 PM
I would feel this way if a for-profit business did this, but not a non-profit. 

I also think it depends on how strong the "ask" is.  One where you are strong-armed into making a donation is very different than having a donation box near the entrance to the bathrooms.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-09 1:00 PM
I also think it depends on how strong the "ask" is.

Agreed.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / How much would you pay?