Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Should be a THURSDAY holiday...
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 7:44 AM
No one is doing sheit around here anyways. Working or recovering today? For you Canadians and other foreigners please ignore us yankees.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 7:49 AM
I think we should get and extra holiday off after Independence Day. We need more long summer holidays, and like the man can't afford to give us an extra day off?!

Anyway, working here. No hangover or recover here as I took things easy yesterday for the most part.

I did jump into a July 4th 5k and once again am embarrassed about my quote "5k pace". I actually had fun though, as the race was held on the golf course at Reading Country Club, which is one of my favorite public golf courses. The course was 2 loops of the back nine, mostly fairway and grass running over rolling hills and one sort of nasty hill just before the finish/end of loop. Sort of like a cross country run in a way I suppose. There was free beer (Sly Fox Lemon Wheat Ale) hot dogs and burgers at the finish. A good workout, and a healthy breakfast! We had nice a shaded area post race by the old clubhouse to enjoy the food and beer and oddest of all things I actually socialized with some other runners.

Oh, my buddy came over with his new puppy (10 weeks old) so there was a lot of smiles and laughs watching the little girl frolic around our house and with our 2 dogs, plus we took her in the pool for her first swim. Lots of fireworks in the neighborhood had the Lady cowering in the corner. Every time I tried to calm her down she just wanted to go back to her safe place.

Run today? This evening, I will look to get in 6-7 miles on a TTBD.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 8:10 AM
:shocker!: socializing?

Sounds like an excellent day. Is Angus the buddy with the new puppy?

Sorry about The Lady and fireworks. Poor Grady hid in the basement :sad:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:34 PM
Yes, I actually talked to total strangers, and a few people I see around but never really talk to. One guy I see all the time in particular ran Tahoe 200 a few years back.

And, yes. Angus has the puppy. He is completely smitten! :happy:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 1:40 PM
Oh boy! What kind of pup did he get?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:44 PM
Lab beagle mix but it looks mostly like a lab at this point. Very outgoing pup. :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 1:48 PM
:hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:19 PM
:hug::hug:

Congrats to Angus!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:00 PM
I was wondering if it was Angus too. Of course he is smitten :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:29 AM
Sounds like a great day all around! :grin:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 1:59 PM
puppy!!! that must have been nice to see the puppy with the big doggies.

I agree with you 1000% that we should have today off. and tomorrow too for good measure.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-05 7:44 PM
Glad you were able to jump in to a 5K and have some fun with it.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-05 7:53 AM
5.2 humid miles for me this morning. We’re heading to Minnesota to camp with friends for a couple of days. Thankfully it’s not supposed to be so hot there.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-05 8:14 AM
Nice job getting the run in. Enjoy your trip and cooler weather.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 8:21 AM
:cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:29 AM
Have fun camping! :grin:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:00 PM
have a great trip.
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-05 8:12 AM Edited 2018-07-05 8:15 AM
Working. It seems unfair to stop working on a Tuesday and then have to pick up where you left off on a Thursday. You can't really enjoy Wednesday knowing that you will have to turn around and go back to work on Thursday. Still it was nice while it lasted.

Got up early and ran 4 miles from home at 6 am since it was light. It was tough getting up early after being up late last night. Of course, it wasn't getting any cooler out there so today so  a morning workout made sense even if it will lead to sleep deprivation filled hallucinations later. : pbbt:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 8:22 AM
Great job getting out there!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:30 AM
a morning workout made sense even if it will lead to sleep deprivation filled hallucinations later
:laugh: Good job getting out there!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:27 PM
I bet you're glad it's done now, even if you're seeing double :laugh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-05 8:18 AM
9km.....Molly & Co.

Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 8:22 AM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:30 AM
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-05 10:08 AM
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-05 11:01 AM
:cool: (At least trying to be original)
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-05 11:17 AM
:cool: (At least trying to be almost original)
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:35 PM

(Not in the least original)
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-05 2:35 PM

(Not in the very least original)
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 8:20 AM
Add me to the list of not doing sheit.  I leave for vacation noon Friday.   My work attitude has been in the toilet for much of the last couple of years.  With new boss, we get ½ as much done with 3x the number of engineers – and I didn’t feel overburdened before.  I hate feeling useless.  :meh:

I found something worse than race photos.  Race video!  OMG!  I have felt pretty dang good about myself the last 6ish months.  I’ve leaned up a ton and have gotten several comments from people at the gym asking what I’m doing differently.   But a video of me dying at a race? It’s enough to make one want to crawl under the covers and never come out.  I’m not a small person, especially to runners around me.  I’m bigger than a lot of the men. :roll:  So you see tiny runner sprinting, tiny runner sprinting, amazon woman sweating & lumbering & tilting to one side beating her chest?  Ugh! :cry: 

And then some weird nerd data.  I now always run with my phone and check the stride rate when I’m done.  Usually my warm-up is 165-170, regular runs 170-175 and faster runs 175-180.  I was curious what my race step count was.  The whole race was around 165-170?  I know I felt like I was running through quicksand because of the heat, but that was still surprising.

Today was recovery day – just a walk with some slow bouncing here and there.  And then I lifted a double session – Bulk back and shoulders.  Both are short (30 min) and next week is an off vacation week, so it wasn’t a big deal.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 8:27 AM
I really hate race photos too. It feels like such an invasion of privacy and you have no control over how it is shared etc.

That being said, try not to be too hard on yourself :hug:You're strong and fit and had a damn good run in tough conditions!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:27 PM
Eh, it's mostly tongue in cheek. As I said, in general i feel really good about my fitness level. Sometimes i find it interesting analyzing gait.  From that standpoint, you'd think I'd love a video. Umm.. no.... Too much reality :laugh:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:24 AM
One of the things that convinced me I needed to quit running was a video of the run finish for a triathlon I did in the summer of 2012.  It was scheduled as a 1/4 mi swim, ~12 mi bike, 5K run but the lake water fecal coliform count was too high (thank you very much Canada geese :mutmad: ) so they changed it to a duathlon & replaced the swim with a 2 mi run...more running, just what I needed! :cry:  I looked like absolute shit! :cry:

I didn't see the video until a few months later but I was hanging on to running 1 or 2 times a week so I could muddle through a 5K race in the following spring...for the 30th consecutive time..I wasn't at all a stubborn runner :roll:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:19 PM
No.. runners arent stubborn at all. :blush:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:33 AM
Having seen you run in person, you do not look like you are lumbering at all! You look like a super strong graceful runner to me! Of course I look like a newborn gazelle when I run so everyone looks graceful to me. :laugh:

Sorry to hear that work sucks so much for you now. Enjoy your vacation! :grin:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-05 11:03 AM
I like race photos because you can usually get rid of all of them but the one reasonably decent one. A video? Why is this necessary?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:18 PM
Even the winner looks like he's running slow! I've got no prayer! :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:36 PM
Race video!  :cry:

Look, as XT stares down at the ground in slow motion waiting for it all to end! :laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:02 PM
i'm at the point where I hate almost all photos and videos of me!

My work attitude is pretty crap too. I need to figure out a way to feel inspired, but am not sure what it could be yet.
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-07-05 8:34 AM
I ran 5.60 miles yesterday aka 9 km.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 10:52 AM
:happy:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 8:34 AM
I ran 6 yesterday. Was able to get out early, so it wasn't too bad and definitely easier than running after work earlier this week heat-wise. I weeded the big veggie garden after and man, the sweat was just pouring off me. I ended up being pretty filthy because my gloves were soaked and any dirt turned to mud on my legs etc. I was quite a sight :laugh: I had to stop when it looked like some storms were going to hit late afternoon. All dark and the wind really picked up but we must have been just on the edge.

Went to park guys house for a glass of wine in the evening. Not sure about him. Some potential red flags I think but overall it was a pleasant evening.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 10:53 AM
I ended up being pretty filthy because my gloves were soaked and any dirt turned to mud on my legs etc.
:laugh: I have had that problem, so gross!

What were the red flags with park guy? Glad it was a pleasant evening overall. :happy:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 11:29 AM
Well, he likes to shoot. Not "bad" in and of itself, but he went on a bit about gun control and that the agenda is to take all the guns away :roll: I told him I felt that was not the case. He said his mom hated guns but one time he refused to rake leaves for her unless she took a photo holding a gun. WTF? It occurs to me that I don't know what his family dynamic was and there was some indication it was a joking kind of thing.. But still...why would you compel someone to do something they clearly didn't want to do? It made me wonder about his relationships with women in general. He has been nothing but very respectful with me. Not pushy or aggressive in any way. Not sure how much he supports the lying racist in the oval or if he too shares those traits? I can't see myself pursuing anything further if that is the case. But I just don't know enough yet I don't think. I keep thinking about something elmtree says. If someone shows you who they are, believe them.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 11:42 AM
Oy. Yes, that would be off-putting for me too. Especially the part about his mom and the picture with the gun. Very odd. :wtf:

If someone shows you who they are, believe them.
This is the best advice ever.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 11:51 AM
Yeah. Odd for sure.
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-07-05 12:00 PM
That is really good advice !
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:21 PM
Great advice and yes, those are definite flags IMO...
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-05 12:34 PM
Hmmm. Those are red flags, but it depends on what kind of relationship you want with the guy. Not everything has to be on a super serious level.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 12:51 PM Edited 2018-07-05 12:55 PM
Yeah. We shall see. I am willing to learn a little more about him. BUT I am not sure I am the kind of person that can deal by just ignoring/not talking about issues or that I could respect someone at the complete other end ideological spectrum, especially if they have racist views etc.. I've seen folks and news reports comment that people maintain friendships/relationships that way, by not discussing, but to me in some ways that just silently condones those beliefs. If that makes me a judgemental ass, so be it.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:08 PM
Based on what you say, those seem like some pretty big red flags. And yes, if someone shows you who they are, believe them :sad:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-06 7:26 AM
Gun nuts, smoking, drugs, throwing the Bible in my face and the N word......all deal killers for me for even just casual friends. (I do have friends who target shoot and hunt, but even they hate the NRA.)
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 7:46 AM
Yep. I feel the same.

He had mentioned target shooting and that he use to hunt (has not for many years), but when he started in on the "taking our guns away" and SAFE Act criticisms, I started to wonder. He went off that topic when I said I supported gun control. He has some acreage and also talked about how he takes his gun with him when he goes out with his dog walking the property. Won't go without it. And he recounted a story about saving a dog once when two coyotes were after it by firing his gun into the ground. Said he did not shoot the coyotes, just fired to scare them. But I found myself thinking that all the time I have been wandering in the woods, I never felt the need to have a gun to feel safe. If you look at actual facts, the odds of something bad happening are so low.. But like many people with his mindset, it seems reality/facts have nothing to do with that kind of fear-based thinking.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:38 PM
I have some muddy weeding experiences like that this year... I know exactly what you are talking about.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-05 7:48 PM
I'm guessing park guy may be disappearing from the forum thread soon. :laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-06 6:37 AM
:grin:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:28 AM
I am at work, actually getting a lot of sheit done while hardly anyone else is here! Most people that are here are complaining about the mid-week day off :wtf: but I loved it. We grilled out and did some stuff around the house, and it was way more relaxed than a weekend day when I am making myself crazy with to-do lists and stuff. I could get used to this. : pbbt:

Yesterday DH and I biked 8.7 miles in the morning. It's been fun biking around the neighborhood...we don't have a go-to 8 mile running route so we had to make up the bike route from parts of other routes (hence the overage), and now I have some new running routes too! Today's workouts are 5 mile run and 300 yard swim. I was all set to run this morning, but DH turned over and went back to sleep, so I did too. I'm going to regret that tonight when I am dying of heat stroke on my run. :roll::cry:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:22 PM
I love mid day holidays. The few times I have had "use or lose" time, I've taken it mid week.  If I'm not going anywhere, taking a Monday or Friday off just still feels like a normal weekend. A day off in the middle feels like a real day off!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:39 PM
Interesting perspective on the midweek day-off. I sort of get it, and actually did not have the Sunday evening/weekend is over feeling last night.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-05 9:30 AM
Technically I worked yesterday and will again today but when the "work day" consists of teaching a 1 hour spin class I realize it's not the same as for most :roll: 

So, "work" for me today will be teaching the class and that also counts as my "workout" which may be supplemented with a 1 mile swim before class.  I have my annual eye doc appt. tomorrow morning, one of my usual swim days, and he dilates my eyes so swimming for several hours afterwards wouldn't be fun and I likely wouldn't bother to do it before the appt. :meh: 

Thursday & Friday also be holidays this week! : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 10:54 AM
I have only had my eyes dilated once and I can't imagine swimming with them like that! :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:24 PM
Ha! Yes, a bit different, but you've already put in your time
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-05 1:32 PM
Oops!  I just wanted to correct a 1 word error in my original post.  Where I said "swimming for several hours afterwards", should have read "swimming, several hours afterwards".  I do NOT swim for several hours straight!  :laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:10 PM
ugh, I hate having my eyes dilated, it makes everything difficult after it is done.
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-07-05 12:05 PM
Happy Thursday,

2 days running in a row so today is a yard day.   Lots of grass to cut, weed whip, etc.   :meh:

Feel like I need a life reboot :meh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 12:20 PM
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-07-05 12:23 PM
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:43 PM
Seems I am always mowing this year. I did make it 6 days this last week. Get that yardwork done and hit the trails tomorrow. :happy:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-05 12:29 PM
Hey, remember me?: pbbt: Haven't been posting much because 1)packing or avoiding packing 2) my running is crap- don't know if it's the icky weather or the worse air quality:roll:- and I haven't eve felt like spinning much and 3) Been in a daze-what else is new?: pbbt: Ha, Ed, beat you to it!

Yeah, XT, you are so right, and even if you go to work chances are anyone you need to deal with is on vacation! I did spin today, and feel much, much better for it. 45 minute class, will try to spin tonight. But Tuesday I started to run on the tm, quit after 1.5 miles. My legs felt like cement blocks. I did spin, but then yesterday I didn't do anything.:meh: I keep telling myself that after next week, I'll be better, we'll be in the new place and I can breathe a little bit. Fingers crossed.

Today is my husband's 57th birthday! How did he get so old when I haven't aged a day since I met him?!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 12:53 PM
Tell Philip his crew buddy says HBD!

It will be so nice once you're all moved!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:48 PM
:grin: Hi CJ! Will do!

Omg, this move is killing me. So much shit happened today, looks like we can't close on the house we want to buy until next Wednesday, and we have to completely out of the house by Friday at 6pm. The movers I had lined up for the 10th are booked for the rest of the week. I'm now calling every moving company in town.:shocker!: I want to run away!:laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-05 6:32 PM
sheeeeeeeet!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-07-05 12:54 PM
you've got a lot going on. moving is the WORST. And this weather is just, well, not even worth discussing. Glad you felt ok spinning today... two spinning classes in a day sounds like a lot to me, but then again, I'm currently not allowed to walk to the mailbox : pbbt: best of luck as you work through these massive transitions and HBD to your hub!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:55 PM
Thanks from DH! Before my March marathon, I was doing double spin classes, or 1 60+ minute spin plus a 30 minute spin, or 1 90 minute spin, or running plus spinning, no problem. Since that marathon (the double marathon at the end of March), I have felt so run down and burned out. I'm just starting to feel a little better, so I'm trying to double once or twice a week, ease back in.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-07-06 8:06 AM
totally understand why you've been feeling rundown from the double marathon. Ah, aging. Love how much longer recovery takes :meh: Sounds like you're taking a smart approach as you start to feel more like yourself again :hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:40 PM
Moving is exhausting... things will probably feel better you are settled (and the heat subsides).
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-06 6:19 AM
Thanks, I hope so. Big SNAFU yesterday, the closing is now supposed to be Wednesday. I had to reschedule with the movers, and they couldn't do it. Had to find a new moving company who could come in less than a week. But I did find someone. I know nothing about them, fingers crossed my stuff doesn't end up in Tanzania.:roll:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:11 PM
moving is brutal. Good luck getting through the next week.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-06 6:20 AM
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:59 PM
Good luck with all of the house stuff! If you need storage, I used cow pods when I moved. They were super obnoxious on my driveway when I moved to my new place :laugh: but they got the the job done.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-06 6:21 AM
I have a POD in my driveway now.:laugh: But I haven't ever been able to reach a person in that company, I've done everything online. And I don't want to confirm moving an entire house online, that company's customer service sucks.
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-07-05 12:48 PM
hi friends - I know I've been MIA for awhile! P and I were on a 10 day road trip and I took a much needed computer break. Did a fair amount of walking on the trip with her until... Sunday we were driving home, and it was beastly hot, and I started feeling pretty lightheaded and yucky. Made it home, but it's only gotten worse with this abominable heat. I'm 26 weeks preggo today. Went to a midwife appt on Monday and my BP is super super super low. The low point for BP tends to occur around this point in pregnancy, and the heat likely brought it on. Since it is July in SE PA, the heat isn't going anywhere for awhile. To make a not so long but kinda boring story short, I'm now on modified bed rest :meh::meh::meh: and I am to avoid the outdoors until my BP symptoms improve. My midwife is hopeful that this will happen by 30 weeks but no guarantees. I'm allowed to do modified prenatal yoga (nothing that has me even slightly inverted - so no down dog, nothing in a plank pose) if I feel ok. And that's it. Sigh. I truly truly appreciate now, in a way that I really did not before, how easy my pregnancy was with P! Yeah, run-walking 7 miles the day before I went into labor like I did with P - the thought of that truly amazes me now.

-posting from the couch with my legs elevated :roll::meh: but it's worth it for a healthy baby. Sigh.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-05 1:42 PM
Oh gosh, sorry about the difficulties this go around. Obviously I can't relate (being a man and all) but wishing you the best.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:13 PM
i'm really sorry. Yes, it is all worth it for a healthy baby but it is still hard in the moment, especially with an active toddler to care for. Good luck and sending you good BP vibes.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:34 PM
Oh man that stinks. Good luck getting through this! :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-05 6:25 PM
I had low BP with my first kid. My OB said to have a cup of coffee (I'd given it up when I found out I was pregnant) to increase the BP, and I was so happy! I had a cup every day after that, and never tried to give it up with my second.  Good luck!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-07-06 7:45 AM
I didn't have coffee during the first tri because it made me queasy, but once I hit the second tri I was back to my 2 cups in the morning. Maybe I need 4... :wink:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-05 1:57 PM
I definitely do not like Wednesday only holidays. We are all dragging ass at my house today.

run was 5 miles. slow. There is the hear, but there is something else going on with my stride and I think I need to see a PT. I feel like my entire gait is off and my pace has dropped to the lowest it has ever been, I just feel terrible. anyway, at least I'm running (right?)

so our plan to see lots of fireworks from my DH's lab kind of worked. We were able to see fireworks all over the area but most of them were a few miles from where we were and were just above the horizon line. Still, the kiddos liked it and we were in air conditioning with alcohol. I'm calling it a win
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-05 2:57 PM
Sounds like a fun night! We went to bed at our regularly scheduled schoolnight time since there were no local fireworks. All of the towns have had them already.

That's weird about your stride. Have you changed anything lately? Can you blame it on the broken treadmill?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-07-06 6:24 AM
I hear you.:hug: I've gotten so much slower than even a year ago, and I've developed lower back issues which I think is throwing off my gait. I started spinning a lot and running less in December, and I love the spinning, but it's not helping my pace at all. But maybe we just need some time running easy?
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Should be a THURSDAY holiday...