Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / 4th of July 2018, Wednesday
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-04 6:37 AM
Happy 4th of July to all!

How are you celebrating?  Any races today?

Enjoy the day and stay cool!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-04 7:52 AM
81 with a feels like of 89 at 8 am.  My day for 8's.  Except that I ran 3.2.    Got up early to run but it was the same conditions at 5:00 so I procrastinated a bit, drank coffee, walked the dog.

We plan to see fireworks tonight but it really depends on the heat.  When it gets this hot sometimes we crash around 7pm and just dont' want to go out again.

I got in Misha's 4' diameter wading pool after my run. Sorry there aren't pictures to share.:grin:
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-04 8:05 AM
No pictures? Drats.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-04 8:05 AM
Its so humid I'm not sure firecrackers will even light. 3.3 miles this morning. mid 70s temp but mid 80s heat index.

The only other activity planned is a nap.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-04 12:40 PM Edited 2018-07-04 12:54 PM
I went to a 5k, but I am not sure whether to enter it in my race log or mark it down as a DNF.  It was in the 80's and humid at the 9:00 start.  I started out slow. First mile in 9:39, but at the halfway point I was feeling pretty sick from the heat. It probably doesn't help that I was sick to my stomach all day yesterday. Something weird going on in my stomach that makes me not want to eat or drink.  I even skipped my coffee this morning and I don't do that unless I have to for a medical test.  (No headaches yet I'm happy to say.)

Anyway, I started walking around halfway. I tried a couple times to run again but gave up and waked it in for a finishing time of 38:45. :roll:  My splits were 9:39, then a 12:00 something, and then a 15:00 something, and a couple minutes over the last tenth.

So I am unsure how to categorize this one. It isn't a race, but it isn't technically a DNF.  For now, I have it listed in my races because I paid for it and got a shirt. :laugh:

I just got back from the condo hotdog lunch where I went ahead and ate.  I am now waiting to see how sick that will make me feel.  I do not feel very good but hopefully it won't get worse. 

Our town's fireworks are set-off very near our condos, so even though it'll be hot, we'll take our chairs over to the in-laws and see the show.  (The in-laws condo has a front row seat.)

Currently we are at 95° with a heat index of 110°.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-07-04 1:04 PM
Maybe a combination of stomach issues and brutal heat.  You didn't race, but you finished a race.  Count it!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-07-04 1:11 PM
I thought I saw a weather map listing an area of the country with Kentucky being one of the hottest states today.  I ran 6 miles at 6 AM.  I cut grass at 9AM. 

Makayla works this evening, but Lee's Chicken where she works is closing an hour earlier at 9:00.  She'll be home in time for us all to sit outside in our front yard and watch at least three families close by shoot off their pretty fireworks they do every year.

I kind of miss racing on the 4th of July.  Back in my young days I raced a competitive 10K every July 4.  Maybe I will try it again next year.  I first ran that race in 1986.
Parent - By rungear [us] Date 2018-07-04 1:29 PM
Happy 4th of July to all! :happy::happy::happy:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / 4th of July 2018, Wednesday