Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Sweltering TUESDAILY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 7:49 AM
American Life in the Summertime!  (musical interlude)

Oh, let's go drink til' the beer runs dry!!! I bit hoppy, I mean poppy but fun.

Here is your daily. Run/workout, last beer consumed, 4th of July racing or plans.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 7:57 AM
Hot hot hot last night. Somewhere around 95-97 degrees and deathly still. Decided to change plans and run up on the local trail as I do multiple loops there so could bail out if I had a meltdown. Instead I got in my planned 6 and had a fairly decent run. Shade helps! Shorts were about as soaked post run as they were after post run plunge in the pool. Today, roasting again but a few degrees cooler. I will look for another shady trail this evening, and also weights and stretching at lunch.

July 4 Plans: Pool hangout, beer, run, and/or golf are all in the mix. The local town is having fireworks again after a 3 year hiatus but I doubt if we will go. The Lady hates fireworks, so she will need lots of attention so we will just stay home with her, take in some of the hijinx around the neighborhood. No racing tomorrow for me. There are several local 5k's, but I don't see myself jumping into any of them. The Patriotic 5k in Pottstown is the oldest, and the one I've most commonly run. My 5k PR is from there many moons ago but it's one of the very few 5k road races I've done.

Last beer: 2XIPA from Southern Tier Brewing last night while watching Bosch on Amazon Prime.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 8:29 AM
It really is amazing how cooler it is in the shade. Grady doesn't like fireworks either. Good that you stay with the Lady :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:07 AM
I feel like once you are at 95 degrees each degree above makes a difference.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 2:02 PM
Hope your pup makes it through the day without too much anxiety.  :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:06 PM
I always feel like I should avoid the fireworks in solidarity with my two dogs who hate them.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-07-03 11:17 AM
3.1 miles

58º & cloudy at 0720

New Balance 890v5 Blue

There will very likely be an afternoon run as well.

-  --  -  --  -  --  -  --  -

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA

I will be taking part in a 5K race tomorrow. After the race we will get breakfast and then start bar hopping.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:30 AM
:cool:

On the race and early start to your celebration. Don't hop too fast.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 2:01 PM
Impressive to get in two runs in a day.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-03 2:32 PM
TWO PENNIES
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-07-03 4:28 PM
3.1 miles

69º & sunny at 1445

New Balance 890v2 Blue #1
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-03 6:00 PM
ONE PENNY
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:06 PM
Enjoy your bonus run. :cool:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:10 PM
I missed the beer question. Probably a Stella.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-03 8:26 AM
9km with my girl Molly ...sunny (finally) and a cool morning but it's going to be an awesome day around 72F

I had 2 beer on Saturday.....a lager & lime (Harp) followed by a Guinness

4th of July?  I'm all worn out from CANADA DAY on July 1st so I'll likely just do my usual morning run and then read a book since your damn
stock market will be closed.:hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 8:30 AM
That weather sounds divine :happy:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-03 3:11 PM
speedo weather tomorrow!!!  :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 2:01 PM
Enjoy the book!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-03 3:12 PM
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:08 PM
72 sounds very nice. Enjoy your reading time.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-07-03 7:10 PM
:hug:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 8:33 AM Edited 2018-07-03 8:43 AM
6 last night including some walking. It was really hot and though I felt good, I just took it really easy. It was this time last year that the whole afib episode happened, so that was on my mind. Good workout after. Much the same today i think, though it is much muggier today. We had some pretty good storms last night.

No plans for the 4th. Will try to get in a longerish run in the morning. Hope to get some weeding done in the bigger veggie garden.

eta/ Last beer was a coco porter at Rooster Fish Brewery on Sunday after a run in the Finger Lakes forest. It was perfect.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 9:20 AM
I can imagine the afib would cause some anxiety! Good on you for taking it easy. :hug:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:59 AM
coco porter sounds good
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:10 AM
that beer does sound perfect
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:35 AM
The beer sounds perfect after a forest/trail run. Glad the afib episode is behind you.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 2:01 PM
:hug::hug:  Not the most pleasant anniversary.  Good to pay attention to how you're feeling about it.
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-07-03 8:36 AM
14 mile bike commute to work  - half w/ mrbarney. it was already 86* and super muggy. the ride home at 102* promises to be wonderful! :roll:

last beer I had was a cold can of Shiner Light Blonde - it's delicious.
plans tomorrow are to watch our community parade then hang out at the pool, eating, drinking and swimming. we're entering apple pie into a contest & hopefully just chilling and relaxing all day with neighbors and friends :cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 8:51 AM
:cry:

Yay pie!!!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-03 10:18 AM
I enjoy Shiner Blonde!
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:59 AM
I first read that as "apple pie eating contest"  :laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:25 AM
I wish! :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:37 AM
How warm is your pool water? Mine hit 86 today. :cry:

Though a dive down into the deep end (8 foot) it's somewhat cooler.  :cool:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:03 PM
not sure - I think the main pool which is bigger is cooler, but the adult pool is very comfortable. And there's no splashing or basketball going on :cool:
just drinking and relaxing
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 2:00 PM
Enjoy your day, sounds lovely!
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 8:44 AM
I made it to the gym last night later than planned so I missed my weight class. I ran a mile on the track and then did 35 minutes of weights and called it good.

Work has been crazy and I am doing my best. I need to keep repeating that to myself instead of trying to convince myself that eventually I'll make everyone happy if I just try hard enough. :laugh:

Rest today because I have a hot hot hot 4 miler (race) tomorrow morning. I dreamed last night that I felt good on race day because of all my hill training. I hope I wake up with that feeling tomorrow.: pbbt:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 9:36 AM
Good luck at your race!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:58 AM
I will look for you at 4 on the 4th! :cool:

I'll be wearing red, white and blue :grin:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:11 AM
dreaming that you feel good on race day has to be a good sign.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:38 AM
Impossible to keep everyone happy. Focus on yourself, and to the best you can. Have a good race tomorrow!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:58 AM
Good luck at your race! :grin:

Work has been crazy and I am doing my best. I need to keep repeating that to myself instead of trying to convince myself that eventually I'll make everyone happy if I just try hard enough.
This is a great reminder!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 2:00 PM

> I need to keep repeating that to myself instead of trying to convince myself that eventually I'll make everyone happy if I just try hard enough.

Words to live by, to be sure.  :hug:
- - By jalashkar (Yahd) Date 2018-07-03 9:14 AM
Headed out for 4 miles at lunch.  Trying to work up a caloric deficit to make up for the face-stuffing that will commence around 6 p.m.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:57 AM
Happy face-stuffing!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:12 PM
I hope you are good and starved by 6 pm.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 9:18 AM Edited 2018-07-03 9:21 AM
Today's workout was 5 miles. It was super gross out. Even though I felt like crap the entire time, I wasn't as slow as I would have expected, so I think that means I'm acclimating. Yay! :grin: I have a 300 yard swim on tap this afternoon. TBD whether it will be outdoors or indoors.

We lost our softball game last night. It's my fault though, because I'm too nice. The other team only had 8 people (you need 9 to play), so we lent them a catcher for the game (the person just caught the ball and threw it back to the pitcher, they didn't make any plays at the plate or anything, and they still bat and fielded for our team...ok, it was mostly me...) just so we could play. And then they went ahead and beat us! :mutmad::laugh: To be fair, they were the better team. But we could have had 1 more in the win column. Not that it matters really since everyone makes it into the playoffs, but still. It was hotter than hades but we all had fun and no one passed out, so I will call that a win. : pbbt:

I don't remember my last beer consumed! :shocker!: I am sure it was an IPA of some sort. No racing for the 4th, but DH and I are running the Teterboro 5k in a week and a half which is on the runway of a local airport. They have a pace plane! :grin: We will probably just hang out tomorrow, grill some food, maybe go to the pool. Definitely get an outdoor bike ride in. Most of the local towns have already had their fireworks, so not sure what we are going to do in the evening. :wtf:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:56 AM
Did you "Go yard" last night?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:59 AM
No but I made it to base every time I was up and had two doubles :cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-07-03 1:11 PM
Beastie!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:11 AM
that race with a pace plane sounds really fun.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:40 AM
I don't remember my last beer consumed!     :cry: :cry: :cry:

You don't drink, you don't smoke, what do you... etc.
Goodie... goodie two shoes.  :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:00 PM
:laugh::laugh::cry:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 12:22 PM
that 5k sounds really fun!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:59 PM
A pace plane!  :shocker!:  Must be a pretty fast crowd!  :laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:13 PM
I'm interested to har about the pace plane.
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 9:55 AM
5 miles easy (2 with Bogey).

Since the run was short, I went fishing for an hour before work. I caught nothing; the first time I have been skunked this year. :meh:

Tomorrow I am running the "4 on the 4th". It's a 4 miler, clever huh? I have had good mileage but little to no up-tempo running/speedwork. This means I am in danger of going out too fast. :roll: :laugh:

Tomorrow afternoon we are going to a friends lake house to hang out and consume adult beverages. :cool:  They have a Independence Day parade of decorated boats that slowly go by all the docks around the lake.  Then the residents text their vote for the best boat decoration. It is super cheesy but the cheesiest usually wins. :laugh: I will probably blow something up; something productive like an ant hill or a noxious weed. :grin:

My last beer consumed was a Dos Equis Amber
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 10:29 AM
Cheezy boat parade sound fun!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:12 AM
that boat parade would be a blast! How fun
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:42 AM
Where is Neb? Maybe she can loan you a pair of old orthotics!  :laugh:

Sounds like a fun 4th! Other then the 4 mile painfest.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:00 PM
Good luck not going out too fast! : pbbt:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:58 PM
Sorry the fish let you down!  Enjoy tomorrow's race.  :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:17 PM
I tried to find a training route for 4 on the Fourth that started up downhill and then went uphill for 2 miles, but it's easier said then done.  The first  mile is so misleading.Good luck!
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-07-03 10:25 AM
10 miles this morning, it was 84* when I started and I am beat!  I am supposed to be off today, snuck into the office for 90 minutes to rework the analysis on a memo I need to distribute.  A memo no on will read until next week, but since I am off all next week, I want it to be perfect.  Leaving shortly to drive to Amarillo then on to Denver tomorrow. 

Before we leave town, I am getting my second tattoo, this time on my wrist.  I can cover it with a watch for work if I deem that necessary from time to time.  It seems to be the best day to get it as I won't be wrapping my hands (and wrist) for boxing class for two weeks. 

Last beer I had was a Community Silly Gose......I have been on a mission to find a sour I enjoyed and this one finally checked the box.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-07-03 10:29 AM
What are you getting??
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:56 AM
Your Blazer tattoo sounds great. :wink:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:01 PM
Safe travels! :hug:

A second tattoo? Pics or it didn't happen!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 12:21 PM
i'm curious too!  :grin:

good call on reworking memo when it was quiet and you could just get it done instead of thinking about it all week.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:57 PM
Looking forward to hearing more about the tattoo.  :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:19 PM
10 miles in that eat sounds really tough. Good luck with your tattoo.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-07-03 10:43 AM
I went to the gym this morning & did hip & shoulder exercises, a 2 minute plank and swam 1600 meters.

Last beer I consumed was a Yuengling Lager while I was grilling/eating burgers last Wednesday. 

It's HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!    Backyard thermometer says 98!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:58 PM
You plank-ers around here are inspiring me to do planks on a daily basis - so far I've made it to about 20 seconds.  :cry::blush:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 10:46 AM
it's not hot here. :grin: Three miles today - it was 51. :blush:

great weekend of running. i did a fat ass half marathon on a super hilly course which follows a pipeline trail. i ran with the friend (she's 64) who will be one of the people doing the wonderland trail with me so it was just a fun run and it was fun! did i mention super hilly? heart attack hill is one of the named ones. what i didn't like about the course was that evidently there was construction on one section of the trail so they had to bump a portion of the run to a flat paved path along the river. i'd rather have had the hills and trails. :roll::laugh: then i ran 9 at a fast-ish pace the next day again on a hilly paved trail this time. i was really pleased that running is going very well. :grin:

tomorrow i am meeting the friend again for a long trail run. this run will be at one of the state parks that features really steep trails down to lake washington. they are so steep that i will bring my poles to practice with as it's just a very steep hike! Then dh, mom and i are going next door to neighbors to have a july 4th dinner. we love our neighbors so that'll be fun. sadly, i have to go to work the next day though. :meh:

i think i had a cider the last time i had a beer. :mischief:: pbbt:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-07-03 10:55 AM
Oh jeez enough with those temps. :cry:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:13 AM

wow.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 11:33 AM
our furnace turned on this morning. :roll: i'd honestly been hoping for warmer temps as i could use some heat conditioning. oh well. ragnar relay is next week. those mid-day runs always kill me because i am used to 50 degrees even though i've been wearing more layers trying to build some heat conditioning.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:56 PM
Both times I've done the Ragnar NW Passage relay the Seattle area was having a heat wave and the daytime runs were a bit of a sufferfest for me.  :meh:  I hope this year is different, for your sake.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:07 PM
right? October is going to be awesome :roll:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:44 AM
I am so with you on the paved trail in the middle of a trail race. :sad:

When are you doing the Wonderland Trail? The whole thing or just a section?
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 12:00 PM
the whole thing. :grin::shocker!::cry::grin: three days - found a local company that sets up camp, does permitting etc. DH can also go and just be in camp as he's not up to the whole trail.  I'm very excited and very nervous and will be seriously undertrained but i am going with 3 other people so i know it's just going to be a run/hike and take it all in. we are going in a month!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 12:21 PM
Oh, that sounds very cool. I looked at the area once for one of our western trips, but was concerned about the logistics as I like to travel light on the trails. Please let me know how it goes.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 12:32 PM
that was my concern too and i'm local! plus permitting is a big issue at these very popular camps. i'd heard of someone who used to be on teh forums (women's) who had signed up to do this. i think she did do it but i never knew how it went!
http://www.aspireadventurerunning.com/wonderland-b2b2b-august-4th-5th-6th-2016/
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:21 PM
That workday after a holiday is tough.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:05 AM Edited 2018-07-03 11:08 AM
Woo-hoo! Another dailies with an actual topic! I’ll play.

Last beer: I had one Friday at the end of the workday. I don’t recall the brand but it was good. Probably because of the setting - wrapping up a few things at work and bs-ing with coworkers.

Workout: Biked to work, biking home.

Weekend adventures and why I biked to work today: Saturday morning I had a 6:00 am flight to Toronto. I arrived at the check-in counter at 5:13 and they had given away my seat because I didn’t check in an hour before. The person at the counter was quite rude and surly and not helpful, and told me I’d be lucky to get booked on a flight the next day. At this point I had 2 choices: (1) go ballistic and demand to speak with a supervisor, or (2) get in the car and drive my ars up to Toronto. I chose option 2. Lessons learned: (a) do the online check in, (b) Air Canada’s reputation as an airline that will get you there but doesn’t really care about you is well-deserved.

9 hours later: Wedding reception for a widowed (and now remarried) friend was fun. Then a visit with gf’s cousin, then hanging out at a pool all day Sunday with her kids and parents and an assortment of booze, then watching the Canada Day fireworks downtown while standing knee-deep in the lake, then a flight home yesterday. Awesome, awesome weekend. So, my car is still there, and I bought a one-way ticket for next weekend so I can fly up and then drive back. Another visit...silver lining to the travel snafu.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:15 AM
yeah, always do the online check-in to hold your seat. I have heard of that happening more than once.

sounds like a great weekend though
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:04 PM
:grin::hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 12:17 PM
excellent solution to travel snafu with bonus weekend!  :grin:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:46 PM
I fly a lot with Air Canada and generally have good experiences - sorry to hear you hit a bad apple.  They are pretty strict about the check-in.  You can get an app and do it all online.  Nice you found a couple of silver linings, with getting in some biking and going back next weekend!  :happy:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-07-04 3:59 PM
It might have just been the particular employee I talked to. She kind of talked down to me, with an implicit attitude of "You idiot." It really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm flying them again on Friday, so I'll approach it with an open mind and see if I have a better experience.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:06 AM
run was 6 miles. it sucks out there.

my TM is still broken. I am fine running outside, but my DH is going away this friday so that means I really can't run saturday or sunday, which sucks. The motor is burned out and the first replacement motor the sent was a dud

Plans for tomorrow-in the AM N and DH are going to the zoo before it gets crazy hot and I will do prep for tomorrow night, then I am going to the pool with N and some friends. For the evening we have a new plan...R's lab is on the top floor of a building that has a decent view of where the fireworks are. All of the PIs have kids about the same age so we are going to meet there with the kids in their PJs and see if we can see the fireworks. If we can, great. If we can't, still great! The kids will all have fun and we will be hanging out in A/C.

On sunday I had a Shiner Mango something from their summer mix. I think the Shiner beers are overall very solid.
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:28 AM
I hope run earlier than when you post. : pbbt:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 11:41 AM
I'm usually running by around 5:45am.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-07-03 11:47 AM
The fireworks plan sounds fun. We saw them once indoors from our hotel room at Niagra Falls. It was sort of weird, as the bangs were muted or missing. Still cool though.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 1:04 PM
it is so hot, and the fireworks here are :meh: it's just not worth it
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:04 PM
Your plans for tomorrow sound fun! :grin:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-07-03 12:13 PM
before my mom moved in with us, she lived in a high rise over off Mockingbird & 35 - we'd go to the roof deck there and watch firework shows from like 8 different cities. so much better than fighting traffic (especially for Kaboomtown)
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 1:05 PM
that is a better view than we will have...but I still think the plan is worth a try!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-07-03 12:15 PM
sorry your treadmill is still down. that really does suck.

yay for hanging out in A/C!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-07-03 1:06 PM
I am so mad about the treadmill.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:53 PM
I'm so mad to hear that your TM is still broken!  :mutmad:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:23 PM
I used to run around in the house when my Dh was gone. I had a 3 min cardio, 3 min strength, 3 minute ab workout I alternated several times to music when I had no other way to workout.
- - By skigirl Date 2018-07-03 1:51 PM
We spent the long weekend camping at Lake Louise.  It was not the least bit hot - barely above freezing both mornings, climbing all the way to about 15C/59F each day, and lots of rain.  :meh:  We did get in some hiking which was nice and time in the mountains is never a bad thing.

Coming back home, the Trans-Canada was closed due to a serious accident so a trip that should have taken four hours took closer to twelve.  :meh:  I know our inconveniences were minor compared to the people in the accident and the first responders, and we did get an interesting detour along a small side highway, so not a big deal, but getting to bed at 2:00 am rather than my usual hour has left me feeling a bit ragged today!

Will be heading to the gym after work today for my usual Tuesday strength workout.

Don't drink beer and have no special plans for tomorrow.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-07-03 5:14 PM
12 hours? :shocker!: That’s painful!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:25 PM
That is awful, I hope you got some sleep. That must have been some accident.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-07-03 6:01 PM
50 minutes on the SUP after work.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-07-03 7:25 PM
Nice recovery workout.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Sweltering TUESDAILY