Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Music Monday, 02 Jul 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-02 5:44 AM
Good morning!

Another day, another week...let's get to it.

Are you musically inclined?  Can you carry a tune?  Play an instrument?

Post away.  And Deb if you are reading this, post!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:44 AM
It's the same every year, but it is still surprising just how much I sweat on these warm, humid mornings.  4 miles and a bucket of sweat.

Today is the 183rd calendar day of 2018. 182 days are past. 182 days are in the future.

I was a decent trombone player in high school and college, but a few years after college I gave my trombone to a nephew and that ended my musical career. I can barely carry a tune these days.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:50 AM
I'm with you Dave on the sweat. That's one reason I don't like going to a gym. I always feel like the equipment needs to burned after I'm finished with it.

I gave my clarinet to my sister's son. I remember my sister reporting that when she took it in to be refurbished (new cork and pads) that the technician said something to the effect "Its always a pleasure to get the chance to work on older instruments like this" :laugh:
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:45 AM
Given the heat, I think today will be cross training on the elliptical trainer.

With varying degrees of success, I pretend to sing, play the piano, bass guitar, and recorder. I played clarinet in High School, but I haven't touched that in 30 years.

Mark.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:52 AM
Mark is the bass man in our praise band church, but he is the musical leader and does it well.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 7:01 AM
Maybe, but we found out Sunday, I can't sing and keep a steady eighth note rhythm at the same time :cry:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 9:26 AM
my son in law plays bass in his church praise band.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:52 AM Edited 2018-07-02 6:55 AM
I thought I'd add some good news. My older daughter and family made an offer and it was accepted, on a house in Navarre Florida.  They will be moving there from Tallahassee.  We spent Spring Break there this year and I am looking forward to many visits to them in the future.  Wonderful beaches & crystal clear ocean water.  (It's almost as nice as Michigan beaches :laugh:)
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:54 AM
Just think Dave, you could move there and sweat 182 gallons per year.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:59 AM
That is good news Dave. Must admit, I had to look up where Navarre was located.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 9:18 AM
Great news, easier travel to see the grand kids!
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-07-02 12:28 PM
Never been to Navarre but it looks great. Michigan has beaches! Who Knew?
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-07-02 7:07 AM
Back in DE Saturday evening.  Babied my new engine all the way home but it probably wasn't necessary.  I did a much needed run after dark last night.  It was still 84 in the shade. I had low expectations, and it somewhat lived up to it. 

Musically.   I get extremely frustrated playing now.  I remember what I used to be able to do and now it doesn't work like it used to. Back in the day, I played keyboard, drums and guitar.  Now there seems to be a detour of the brain waves between the brain and the fingers and they don't want to move at the right place at the right time.  Playing keyboard helps smooth out some rough edges.  The joy of playing along in a band overcomes the frustration.

Off to buy some new running shoes.  Asics has online sale. 

Tom in DE
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 11:32 AM
I hear you about the potholes that have started to appear in the sensorimotor highways.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 9:25 AM
Good morning all.    I ran after supper but before sunset last night.  Still humid but a few degrees cooler.  Oh that sweat.  So much sweat.

I played clarinet in high school and had it refurbished when my girls were old enough for band. ( Mark, I got the same type of comment about the old horn.)  Lisa would be on her sax and Amy on her trumpet and my husband shaking his head in disbelief at us.  I can't sing at all.  I think my range is 4 notes and there are not a lot of songs with only 4 notes.

We are having some great weather today after 3 days of triple digit heat index.  I opened some windows for an hour to blow the stink out and then closed up the house again.  The triple digits come back on Wednesday so not wise to let the humidity in even if it is low.

Looking forward to a day in the yard.  I need to mow for sure.  Some flowers could be dead headed.  Misha wants a walk or 6....   All the cats were well behaved at the shelter and I'm planning pizza from scratch for supper.  There, now you know all the news that's fit to print.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 11:29 AM
It always makes me happy when I can make music with my girls.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-07-02 11:44 AM
I picture the Master Runners Swing Combo at our big FE.

News that is fit to print   I seriously doubt that anybody prints this stuff, so you are free to tell it all:laugh:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 1:11 PM
I got my Amtrak survey and I gave them 10's in every category except the station in Lansing MI.  No bathrooms.  But maybe that is Michigan's fault.  Everyone pees at the beach maybe?:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 1:13 PM
Yea - its actually the land of a thousand puddles.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-02 1:14 PM
There's no beach in Lansing.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 1:23 PM
Hawk Island.  Man-made beach but I think that still counts.  Looks like there's even a triathlon there.  Maybe we can have a Master's FE.

http://www.southlansing.org/Portals/slcd/Triathlon/Hawk%20Island%20beach.jpg
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 1:29 PM
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 2:05 PM
thanks Mark!   There is also a 5k.  I want to go back in the fall anyway and this looks like a fun event for Lisa's first race.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 2:47 PM
I never have been able to get my girls interested in running. Maybe when they move out and live in Michigan ....
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-07-02 2:54 PM
Maybe so. My daughter in Illinois started running and wants to run with me next time I visit.

Both daughters tried running a couple times when they were younger, but it didn't stick.

Once life settles down, my daughter in Florida may try running. She has occasionally talked about training for a half marathon.  First they have to move, get the kids in their kids in new schools and get adjusted to their new jobs.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-07-02 12:26 PM
10 miles this morning. On the track. very hot and sweaty. Missed goal pace the last few 1/2 mile repeats.
I am not musically inclined at all. Diego however is one heck of a dancer.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 12:29 PM
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-07-02 1:26 PM
I remember that episode. that is pretty much Diego
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 1:12 PM
10 on the track.:shocker!:  Wow:cool:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-07-02 1:29 PM
well. kinda. i was lazy typing earlier. 3 mile meandering warm up to the track. 5.5 miles on the track. 1.5 cool down back home.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 2:05 PM
ok, much better.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-07-02 4:56 PM
I ran this morning for the first time in 9 days.  The mysterious pain my inner thigh/groin area has mostly gone away.  The first half mile of the run was with some discomfort, but I loosened up and ran 5 miles.

I don't play a musical instrument, but I can sing.  In high school I was in chorus all four years.  I can't really read music, but know enough to get by.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-07-02 5:00 PM
What the heck Mike, I wonder what it was.  And I hope its gone for good.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-02 7:23 PM
What did the doctor say?
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-02 5:27 PM
I have been busy today.  Did my power walk this morning, then mowed the front yard and this afternoon I went and helped clean the cabana storage room.  My friend and I were there for 2 hours, but boy does it look good!

I can't sing, play an instrument or dance. 

The African dust is hanging around San Antonio and you can see it. 

Made tacos, rice and beans for dinner.  Que rico!
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:51 PM
You have been the busy little beaver.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-07-02 7:22 PM
I have and now am too pooped to clean my bathroom. It will be on the list for tomorrow.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Music Monday, 02 Jul 2018