Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Beginners / A Race (Timers) Report
- - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-07-02 5:24 AM
Night Hawk 50K/20M/10M Lawrence, KS
8pm Start.  10 hour Cut-off

Pardon my language but this race was a flippin $hit Show.  Set up at 4pm it was 96 degrees, heat index of 105. Despite repeated warnings, most runners did not wear the chip on their hips, rather they had them on their front, back, on their bib and one couple put theirs on their dog.

Right as most 10 mile runners were finishing a major thunderstorm hit. We had about 10 minutes advanced warning to try and prepare. When the storm hit all hell broke loose. Aid station tents there at the Start/finish were destroyed. Our results computer/printer were blown off the table under the pavillion. TV fought valiantly under trash bags but eventually lost it's battle. A couple of 10 mile finishers were at the finish line holding down everything they could (finish truss, antennas, easy up tent, tv, aid station tents, etc) in a torrential downpour.  Both cameras got thrown into my trailer so we had no video/picture backup. The guy writing down bib numbers bailed. (he couldn't see any bib numbers anyway and nobody could hear him yelling asking for their numbers)

Then they held all runners for 30-40 minutes, not letting them leave. 

When it was time to send them all out I turned off the readers so I didn't get a read saying they finished another loop. We were only recording the "ins" not the "outs" and the time I had told ART to ignore another read was only set to 10 minutes.  Got everyone who wanted back on the course and started listening again.

For the rest of the race it only picked up maybe 2/3 of runners because of chips being now covered with rain gear and trash bags and everything else.

Brian has offered to help me dig through the ART data and try and salvage results and to figure out why people I thought I changed race distance on are still showing up in the wrong race.  I am going to email participants and ask them to verify and/or tell me what distance they actually finished and their time and I will manually go through and adjust all finishers if needed.

Looks like we lost 1 TV, possibly 1 Thinkify reader and the results touch screen computer (which is my personal work computer also) now squeaks when you hit the space bar so that can't be a good thing.

All equipment, storage totes, tripods, etc were put away in the rain and need to be pulled out and cleaned off before our race next week. Everything is covered in mud.

This race should have been plain stopped. They didn't have enough volunteers to run it in the first place, with the weather it was downright dangerous.
Parent - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:35 AM
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-07-02 6:45 AM
oh wow that is crazy! I mean you can't help a thunderstorm but yea there should have been a black flag to close up things. Hopefully no one was mad at you for any results issues with weather like that?
Parent - By flyguy (Stump Grinder) [us] Date 2018-07-02 6:52 AM
We'll find out. A few people have emailed the RD
I sent a mass email out to all runners asking for them to verify or change their results.
Parent - By NYCoach [us] Date 2018-07-02 7:07 AM
Wow...this sounds insane!!!  I'm sorry my brother!!
Parent - By Mickeyd Date 2018-07-02 9:58 AM
How awful!  :cry:  I hope the equipment isn't too expensive to replace.  I'm glad everyone was safe at least.  :hug:
Up Topic Communities / Beginners / A Race (Timers) Report