Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Fiday 6/29/18
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:31 AM
Once upon a time there was a daily with no catchy title.....

I'm fully caffeinated and stuck in the house for the day.  Talk to me.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:39 AM
So Monday in Chicago it was 69 degrees and a little cool near the river.  Today we are on track for 113.  That includes heat index but I like the shock value of the numbers.  Beat that Dave.:wink

It will be comfortable until lunchtime though so doggie dearest and I can get out and get some exercise early.  We have to stick close to the house though and keep an eye on kitchen backsplash guy.

Numerous 4th of July 5k's popping up soon; some on the Saturday before, some the Saturday after.  I know Pam is running a holiday race, anyone else?  Lee and I are signed up for one on the Saturday after.  It's huge and I'd estimate 30% are walkers.  A really fun event with absolutely no time goals.  It is always "my first 5k" for A LOT of people.  I like that about this race.  I love the looks of accomplishment. Also many run it as a family and that's cool too.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:45 AM
IS the backsplash guy worth keeping an eye on?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 6:54 AM
:laugh:

If you've been following the ordeal; Matthew the Carpenter is A.D.D. and needs supervision.  The remodel has been going on for 20 months because of this.  The very last piece to fall into place is the backsplash and Matthew is out of town on vacation so we seized the moment and hired someone else.  I've never met him so ......
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:48 AM
No more racing of any kind for this girl. 

Can't wait to see final pictures of your kitchen.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 6:56 AM
I'm thinking of not repainting now.  The  new counter tops actually make the current wall color look really good.  Final decision after the backsplash is in but maybe, just maybe this project will be done today.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:40 AM
Hyped up and bored. O dear! Start the demolition for your next house renovation. :laugh:

Nice article about Rebecca's boyfriend in the local paper - http://www.newarkpostonline.com/sports/coaching-is-a-family-affair-for-the-coffings/article_199319c1-f728-5746-becd-3b3f13cb5fa4.html

No workout today i suspect. I have to help get the prep work for the big party finished and I have a 5K on Saturday Morning. Not really looking forward to the heat/humidity.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:47 AM
Interesting!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-29 6:01 AM
Nice family. Is her boyfriend the "youngest" of the coaches?
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 6:11 AM
No, the middle one. (both age and in the picture)
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 6:58 AM
I usually ask "do we like the boyfriend?" but since you shared the article I assume he has passed inspection.  Thanks for posting it -  they seem like a great family.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:23 AM
He's a good kid. And the family is indeed nice. There is actually an 4th kid - an older brother - that  ALSO coached swim teams.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:46 AM
Wait a minute, were you really up at 5:31 am?

I woke up about 6:00 and as the coffee was brewing, I looked out our front window. Saw something in the yard.  It was a dead fawn and looked like something had eaten the bottom half.  My husband was awake so I made him get up and get the poor fawn out of the yard.  We threw (I don't like that word) the body on the ranch behind our house.  Hope no one saw us.  

Nothing much on tap for today.

Enjoy your Friday!
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 5:58 AM
We found the lower part of a deer's leg in our yard one day. A partial fawn would be a bit disturbing.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:01 AM
I posted at 6:31 I think.  Sometimes after that whole Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, who's on daylight saving time debacle I don't know.  I was up around 5:15 but I made coffee and threw in a load of laundry before I got lost on the internet.

For a 40 mile stretch yesterday I saw deer having their breakfast on the railroad right of way every time I looked up from my book.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-29 6:28 AM
Got in 4.01 miles at the park this morning.  First mile was a 12 minute struggle of running and walking but I was committed to 4 miles so I kept on going. Eventually I was feeling good and the last 3 miles were at a sub-10 pace. The day off yesterday probably helped.

Starting today we're on tap for at least 8 days in the 90's. I don't know what the heat index will be but I doubt I can beat 113.

In 2000 while living in Houston, I unknowingly started a tradition of running a race on the 4th of July.  It took me a few years before I realized I had started a tradition, but unless I was injured I ran every 4th while in Michigan.  Closest race on the 4th this year is in Greenup Kentucky, so I'll be driving the 45 miles over there for a 5k on the 4th.  It'll be my first run in Kentucky.

There is this project at work that I first got involved with in November of 2015. We had some meetings, I did some thinking, and came to the conclusion that what was needed wouldn't work in our system. Other more critical tasks emerged and we set the project aside. But every few months this thing would pop-up again. Each time it becomes more critical. In March of this year, another guy and I went to the NYC office to hash the project out some more. We spent too much time on a lot of other projects and didn't make much progress.

Then came Monday, June 25th, and a meeting with the my manager, the CIO of the company, and others. I was given until Friday (today) to come up with a project plan for completing the project.  So it has been a week of stomach pains and futile thinking.  It got to the point at 1:07 PM on Wednesday that I made a decision to resign.  I went for a walk to think out how to word my letter, but I came up with a couple more ideas while I was out, so I came back and started working on those.  I came up with something I thought would work, but I hoped it would be a starting point for others to suggest improvements.

Yesterday I battled the insane road construction, and went into the office.  (Every stupid road between here and Charleston is under some type of construction. There has to be some absolute idiots in charge that planned the timing on that.)

I finished my plan and talked to the other guy who I went to NY with.  He had additional ideas there were better than mine.  The guy is a genius. So I have to rewrite everything today and get it submitted.  But after two and a half years it looks like there is a road forward. Going to be a heck of a lot of programming. 

I'd really like to make it to at least 65 before I retire but if I get too many more of these Kobayashi Maru tests I am not going to make it.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:05 AM
do you know how may states you've run in?  (and please ignore the grammar in that question)

I'm pretty sure the 12 minute warmup made the next 3 miles go quickly.  Lisa has never broken a 10 minute mile so we did 12, 9:50, 14.:laugh:  Guess she wasn't quite ready for that sub 10 pace because she was crawling and gasping the last mile.:evil:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:49 AM Edited 2018-06-29 7:54 AM
For states I've just "run" in, I'd have to go back and look in all my logs and that sounds like too much work.  I have a spreadsheet of all my races (206) going back to 1989 and at one time I considered trying to run a half in all 50 states so I checked to see how far I made it already and it wasn't that far.

States with a half or longer (9): FL, IL, MI, NV, NY, OH, SD, WI, WV

I checked just now and I have a 5k in Indiana and a 5k in Texas.  So 11 states with races.  I have lower expectations and have thought about running in a race in as many states as I could get to.  Just for an excuse to travel a bit more.

I know I went for a run when I was in various places like, Niagara Falls Canada, Mystic Seaport CT, but I can't think of them now. 

I just remembered running when I was in visiting Seattle.

And I remembered running the Presidio 10-miler in San Francisco when I was out there in 1990 for a technical conference. Went over the Golden Gate Bridge and back. Beautiful run. So that is 12 states with races.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:05 AM Edited 2018-06-29 8:07 AM
The Deadwood half in South Dakota was my favorite run of all my runs of all time. It was a fun area, beautiful views, and the half was mostly downhill on a finely crushed gravel trail. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Devil's Tower, Badlands, Spearfish Canyon.....  It was the one race that Cindy traveled with me. We both think that moving to Spearfish would be like moving to heaven.

I met Badlands Bob, and another forum person, but her name complete escapes me now.  We didn't make any plans to meet so I didn't know if we would, but then we both got on the same elevator at the same time and somehow recognized each other.  She was from out in Nebraska somewhere.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:44 AM
That does sound like an awesome run.

50 state 5K club sounds doable for me.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:52 AM
Joy maybe?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-29 9:00 AM
That's it.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:07 AM
Wait a minute, "Fiday" ?  What the heck is "Fiday"?   ooops.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:18 AM
Fiday - when you stay home and use up your allotment of WiFi looking at cat videos.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-06-29 7:53 AM
5.33 sweaty miles this mornning.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 7:58 AM
sunblock?
chili peppers?
curly fries?
Diego?
Coffee Fool?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-06-29 8:12 AM
sunblock? Don't know what that is
chili peppers? not today. maybe for tomorrow's long one. the long one is gonna be hot
curly fries? nope, eggs, fried potatoes and coffee
Diego? he is summering in South Beach
Coffee Fool? got the email at 9:47am eastern time
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:53 AM
Thank you.   bullet points next time.: pbbt:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:18 AM
Hey it's not raining today.   We checked out of hotel and will start back to DE in a few hours.  I suspect it will be very busy highways.

Fireworks last night.  One of several over the next week here.  Good show, except I think finale fizzled.  That part only lasted a few seconds.

Tom in WNC
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:42 AM

>I think finale fizzled.  That part only lasted a few seconds.<

That's what she said.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-29 8:53 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-29 9:01 AM
Tom posted that just to see who would take the bait.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-29 3:04 PM
Always happy to help.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Fiday 6/29/18