Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Softly Soaking Saturday 23-Jun-2018
- - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-23 8:31 AM
There! Double alliteration.

Light misty rain falling. What is happening in your neck of the woods?
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-23 8:34 AM
6.94 miles in a very soft rain. Only annoyance was the drops falling from the bill of my cap.

That was about all I had. If a bear chased me, I would have just had to let him eat me.

I think I will need another cup of coffee to make it to nap time.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-23 8:40 AM
Oh I am just contemplating life at the moment. 

Went for my power walk this morning and there was a nice breeze, so it wasn't too hot.  Going to a one year old birthday party this afternoon.  Other than that, not much. Waiting for my face mask to dry and then I'll go take a shower.  I look just lovely.

Enjoy your day and please send rain to my house.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:09 AM
Just  got off the phone with my parents in Waco. My dad's words - "We got just enough rain to show how little rain we've gotten."
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:34 AM
3.2 with a long chat break just after the 1 mile mark.  A friend I don't see enough of drove by, made a U-turn, and came back to talk.:happy:

We had 3 days of that misty rain Mark.  Ended up being 3.5 inches of precip!  Today I have a mid 70's humidity-free day to enjoy.:happy:
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:46 AM
70s humidity free  - that is indeed a day to enjoy.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:36 AM Edited 2018-06-23 9:50 AM
All my expectations were wrong today but the race was good.

I drove an hour to Charleston, WV for the Corporate Cup Track & Field Day. The place for day was the UC Stadium (University of Charleston.)  30+ years ago, our offices were near this stadium then known as Laidley Field. It was a nice place and open to the public during the day. I used to go there at lunch to run. The locker rooms were open so you could change, run in the neighborhood or on the track, and then shower afterwards.  Well, it is 30+ years older now and it has not been kept up very good. So that was my first expectation that was wrong.

Next, I thought this was a team competition, but our company was in the recreational division and only one person counted (and it wasn’t me). So I ran without a bib and did not get any official time.

My plan after the race was to take a shower and watch the other events. But the locker rooms were locked, and there was nobody else in our company competing in any other event, so I just came home. That also meant that my expectation of getting to know some more people in my company was wrong.

The race:
Weather: 70° and humid. 45 minutes before the race there was a 3-minute downpour which added some steam to the air.

Before the race I talked to the other guy from our company who was running. He is around 50 and a much more serious athlete than me, but he is training for a couple things and said he was going to take it easy so he could run 11 more after the race.  He asked me what I thought I would run and I said that because of the humidity I was hoping for a 9:00 pace.

I started the race at a comfortable pace. I wouldn’t call it “easy” but it wasn’t all out. I was hoping it was close to a 9:00 pace.  I hit the first mile in 8:57. I felt like I kept the same pace going but the second mile was a little slower in 9:11.  The other guy from our company had pulled ahead of me by about 100 yards at the start but then he stayed at the same distance in front of me. I was feeling pretty good in the last mile so I started trying to catch him.  Third mile was 8:47. The course was a bit long and I covered the last .22 in 1:57.  I got within 5 yards of the other guy at the end but didn’t try to sprint to pass him. I didn’t want to risk dying (from over exertion, not that the other guy would kill me for passing him.)

Final – 3.22 28:53, 8:58 pace.  Very happy with the effort and how I felt in the humidity.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:43 AM
Dave,
You just amaze me!  Your pace was better than you hoped for.  Congratulations on a well run race!
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:46 AM
Sorry it wasn't what you were expecting, but really good race!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-23 10:49 AM
Good running Dave!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-23 9:57 PM
That is excellent Dave!! Great job! Amazing effort. :cool::cool:

I won't say, or maybe I will...told ya so!!

Congrats!!!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2018-06-23 10:47 AM
It is cloudy and cooler today.  I ran 12.02 miles on rural roads different than my normal route.  Saw a lady I've known for years running with her adult daughter who was a student of mine years ago.  It's nice to meet other runners around where I live, because there are very few of us.

I just finished cutting the grass.  I need to trim the weeds around the house and edge of the driveway.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-23 10:00 PM
Nothing today! Out late at the Sox game. Slept late a rainy chilly dreary day. Cleaned out closets. But pretty lazy day.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Softly Soaking Saturday 23-Jun-2018