Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Dress a Dude (NRR)
- - By swandive Date 2018-06-20 3:03 PM
Help?

Short version: my dad needs something to wear to my sister's wedding.  Where should he go shopping?

Long version: For Father's Day, we said we'd get Dad something to wear to the wedding.  My Dad is 65 with a slim/medium build.  He basically only dresses up for weddings and funerals and almost all of his dress clothes are hand-me-downs that don't fit him terribly well.  The wedding itself is fairly casual -- the groom is wearing pants and a vest, but no coat and maybe no tie.  For this occasion I don't think my dad needs a full suit (especially because it's an outdoor wedding at noon, in July, so a full suit would be miserable) but it would be nice if he had something he could wear again in the future, which means something fairly classic that he wouldn't hate wearing.  Ideas?  I know nothing about men's fashion, so I haven't the slightest clue of where to take him shopping or what to look for.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-06-20 3:27 PM
How much can you spend? If you can spend a bit, the company Untucked makes excellent shirts that are cut to be untucked (hence the name) and are cut a bit slimmer than normal. If he can wear a jeans type pant, Zegna makes a high quality pant in different colors and are often slim cut. DH is thin so this is how I know these brands. Untucked are about $95 a shirt, Zegna jeans are about $200 before you faint you can wear them for years. With a nice loafer from Tommy Bahama $65 he would be casual and comfortable. He could pair this with a blazer for a dressier look and remove blazer for more casual.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-20 8:42 PM
No firm budget and no exact plan of what we need to buy. :laugh:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-21 10:43 AM
Untuckit is coming to the mall by where I worked. I saw a description of the store but I'm still not sure I completely "get"
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-06-22 9:38 AM
button down shirts cut a bit slimmer and shorter so they are designed to be worn untucked. Most mens shirts are too long and baggy and don't look good not tucked in
Parent - By Mickey [us] Date 2018-07-06 6:18 PM
:cry: Someone, please tell my co-workers this! 
(at least 3 guys wear standard-issue dress shirts untucked, rumpled, and of questionable laundry frequency)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-20 4:31 PM Edited 2018-06-20 4:34 PM
So slacks, a shirt and a tie?  Or slacks a shirt and a jacket (not matching so not a suit)?

MCF loves the stuff at Lands End for business casual look. Especially the "no iron" shirts. They are well made button downs with both classic and interesting colors.

Joel wears a lot of sportcoats. In canada he gets them here: https://www.harryrosen.com/en/clothing/tailored-clothing/c/sport-jackets. You could probably find something similar at Nordstrom.  Something like this. Or if he isn't afraid of color, this. Pair with comfortable and well cut black slacks, and a white or light blue solid button down. Tie optional (perhaps for the ceremony and off for the reception?)

ETA: if he's decision phobic, call the Nordtrom in downtown of your nearest city and set up an appointment with a personal shopper.  They will shop for him on both the full price and sales racks and get a commission off what you buy, but don't tend to be overly pushy or hard on the upsale. They will stick to your budget too.  He could get everything (down to shoes, socks and belt) in one 90 min or so session.
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-20 8:46 PM
I'm thinking slacks + shirt + tie might be the way to go, unless someone has a better idea.  I think that might be cooler than a jacket and no tie.

Lands End could be a good possibility because I know Mom likes a lot of their stuff and Dad would likely be happy with not having to go to an actual store. :laugh:  Nordstrom has been suggested by someone else as well and I certainly think that could be a better option than, say, a discount suit store.  That said, my dad is most comfortable in a tee shirt and jeans so anything nice or shopping-related is going to be totally out of his league.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-21 12:17 AM
Landsend can be returned to Sears, so no return shipping.  Order evertything he wants to try and return the rest.  If you can get him to shop, one trip to Nordstrom and a flexible budget would get the job done as well.

Is he willing to wear suspenders? Could make the no jacket look a bit more festive.
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-06-21 7:55 AM
If he doesn't enjoy shopping...which I'm guessing he doesn't from your description : pbbt: Nordstrom personal shopper is the way to go. Short, easy, no crowds, and they do all the heavy lifting.  I use them (or John Lewis in the UK) for every formal occasion these days, not that there are many since I wear jeans to work :laugh:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-06-20 6:31 PM
Second Lands' End.  My DH gets a lot of stuff there.  Sometimes they have slim cuts or european fit that work better for the skinny set.
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-20 8:47 PM
Thanks!  I wouldn't have thought of even looking there, but it sounds like a good option!
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-20 10:04 PM
Third Land's End. Or L.L. Bean. Or even Costco for khakis or business casual pants, dress shirt, tie if he wants to wear one. He can always wear a tie for the ceremony and then take it off for the reception.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-06-21 10:48 AM
I think I'm on the other end of the spectrum from those on here but for someone who rarely dresses up I'd go more the JC Penney or Kohl's route. Now if he's been the same size forever then spending more might make sense to always have a suit/outfit on hand but otherwise I don't see the point in spending a lot. I'd go for nice khakis and a white or light blue dress shirt or if you want a little dressier then some gray dress pants instead of khakis.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-06-21 8:25 PM
Joseph A Banks is great.  Nice slacks, short sleeved shirt are all that's needed.  That is where DHs clothes for our extra hot wedding came from.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-06-24 4:11 PM
One thing I can pass on about older people (since I am one :laugh:) is that we need to be physically comfortable. It's been nice having dress codes relaxed and that puts a lot LESS pressure on us. :grin:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-24 5:09 PM
I'm trying to convince my sisters of this!  My dad has spend most of his life wearing (auto mechanic's) work uniforms, so he's not comfortable with wearing a suit in general, and is definitely not going to be comfortable with being fitted for a high-end suit!  I think he could probably look *really good* in a *really expensive* suit, but I think he'd be a lot happier looking good enough in a less expensive suit.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-06-25 6:14 AM
Perhaps even wearing a *snazzy* vest over the shirt & tie might eliminate the jacket.
Dress codes are changed. One groom wore orange tennis shoes with his tux. :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-30 3:04 PM
Thanks everyone!  We ordered several things from Lands' End to give some size/fit options and settled on a tailored fit blue and white striped shirt with tailored fit pants in light grey nailshead.  They definitely fit much better than anything he's ever worn.  Now we just have to find a tie that will coordinate with Mom's dress!
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-07-01 7:33 AM
That sounds great! I still chuckle when I see that "Dress a Dude". :laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-07-01 8:05 AM
Glad you found stuff that works. And a tie should be easy, any men's shop!
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-07-09 10:13 AM
:cool::cool:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Dress a Dude (NRR)