Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Happy WV Day - Wednesday 6/20
- - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-20 5:58 AM
On this date in 1863, West Virginia became a state. All state and local employees have the day off work. The rest of us carry on.

What's Up?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-20 6:05 AM
Hidey Ho Folks.

Headed over to the park this morning but the entrance was blocked off. Police were tracking a shooter. Checked the news when I got home to see that a 29 year old fired 5 shots into a home near here.

But before I checked the news, I headed out for 4 miles along the local roads. I usually stay off the roads on weekdays because it isn't very safe. But school is out, and it is WV Day, so traffic was light. First 2 miles felt great then the humidity started hitting me.  Lots of walking in mile 4.

I took a quick dip in the condo pool after the run. My first time in the water this season.

I have the World Cup on as background noise.  Portugal vs. Morocco just started. I enjoyed the Morocco national anthem. Didn't understand the words but the music was great.  (Portugal just scored.)
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 6:38 AM
Such scary times we live in. I hope no one was hurt?

I would LOVE to have access to a pool! There is a neighborhood right beside our house (we are in an older, small home-not a part of the community) and their pool is literally right next door to us. Sometimes I see the cool looking water and think I need to go make friends with someone in that neighborhood!! LOL!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-20 8:37 AM
Wow :shocker!: be safe Dave!!!
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 6:34 AM
Good morning! Heading out for a slog through the neighborhood before the heat becomes unbearable. I have a 10k coming up on the 4th and I would really love to live through it!!:roll: This is one of those, "WHY the heck would I sign up for this thing,) races! I'm not sure how the Peachtree became the largest 10k in the country. WHY would a race in "Hotlanta" in July draw over 60,000 people??
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:27 AM
But Hotlanta is a cool city.   It seems to me that even where you live, you would have to leave the night before and camp out just because traffic is so bad.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:49 AM
And you would be right! Both my son and I opted to pick up our race packets at the Peachtree Expo, simply because they wanted an additional $15 each to mail them. Of course that means we have to go into Atlanta to pick them up the day before the race.:roll: So-since we would have to go down there on the 3rd and then drive there essentially in the middle of the night on the 4th, my son is paying for a cheap room for us in Atlanta the night before. Again-WHAT WAS I THINKING??? Yeah, I know.....I was thinking that it would be so much fun to do the Peachtree with my boy again!:hug:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-20 8:39 AM
You are amazing! I couldn't even think of running a 10k at this point. :shocker!: Heat, side effects and a 10K in Hotlanta. You go girl!!!
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 9:15 AM
Ummmm......I've tried really hard to not use the word "running" when talking about this upcoming 10k!! I'm not sure I could actually RUN for 3 consecutive miles right now! The most I can hope for is to finish the darn thing!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-20 1:36 PM
If you're planning to walk it I have even more respect for you. :laugh: Have fun!!!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:19 AM
Good morning!

We have had some nice cloudy days and almost 1/2 an inch of rain. Parts south of us have had more rain, but we will take any amount. 

I forgot to post my workouts the last few days, but I have been power walking in my neighborhood.  My walking buddy leaves today for her summer home in WI.  I need to call up my other walking buddies to join me in my walks.

Have a good Wednesday all!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:28 AM
I think you need to go visit your walking buddy in Wisconsin later this summer.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:53 AM
We did score an invite to their place!  Think we are going early August.  It will be a great escape from the Texas heat.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:56 AM
We had some great times in Wisconsin when we were living in Minnesota! Some wonderful people in Wisconsin! Beautiful country too!
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:22 AM
I am dressed for the run, but sitting by waiting for Hyundai in NC to call back.  I know take the cell phone with me.  Will I really hear it in my pocket on the run and can I fumble enough to answer it?   Maybe it's because I was up till 3AM at Aunt Shirley.  A beauty of a morning too. More elder care Go with Lynda and her mom to doctor today.  Vascular doctor.   Still more elder care....for me.  Chiro, massage and PT this afternoon.   I need it bad.

Tom in DE
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:29 AM
The heat is gone, the humidity continues.  I turned off the a/c though and opened up every window in the house.  I can feel myself returning to normal as the breeze blows thru the house.  The humidity is supposed to be gone tomorrow and temps 30 degrees cooler than they have been.  It's gonna be great I tell you.

I've got my running clothes on but my stomach is growling so I'll have breakfast #2, let that settle a bit, and then head out for 4.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 7:54 AM
Can I come run with you??? I don't think I will hear "cooler" in reference to my vicinity for a while!

You are being much smarter than me this morning in regards to breakfast! I was awake at 5 but didn't head out the door until a few minutes before 9. The only thing in my stomach was coffee. At one point I considered sitting on someone's lawn because I was feeling really light headed. After thinking about having to get myself back up off of the ground, I decided to keep going, but I'm still not feeling quite back to normal. I'm eating as I type this though, so I'm thinking I will feel better soon.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-20 9:18 AM
yes, please come run with me.  Then when we are through we can scoot up to Wisconsin and hang our feet in a lake while we wait for Marilyn.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-20 8:48 AM
Not to brag but it was 58° this morning.

I have been hungry for a second breakfast this morning too..:wtf: Enjoy your run.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-20 9:19 AM
I get that 58 on the weekend I believe.  Can't wait!

Cool spider story.:cool:
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 12:43 PM
High of 95 on Saturday, and 98 on Sunday in NC for Conor's lacrosse tournament:cry::cry::cry:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-20 1:12 PM
:shocker!:
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-20 1:24 PM
After living in NC for a ton of years., 98 "real" degrees will mean 104 or so Heat index.

Yikes.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-20 5:07 PM
That's what I'm afraid of:sad: I don't know HOW those kids play 3 and 4 games-sometimes back to back. It kills me just walking from field to field in that heat.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-20 6:31 PM
Its good to be young :laugh:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-20 8:46 AM
Tiki Trail #3 tonight!! I've been so busy this morning though. I finally finished trimming the periwinkle. Uh I hate that stuff! Freaking weed to me. This lovely spider came to watch me. I googled her Nursery Web Spider, they named her correctly. She had a huge sac she was carrying, when I went to take her picture she got a little aggressive. So I walked away so she could do whatever she was trying to do. She is huge. Vacuumed, cleaned the bathrooms and broke the vacuum again. :shocker!::shocker!::shocker!: Chris is going to think I do it intentionally. I'm counting all this work as cross training. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Library has my other Yosemite books, so heading there soon.

Have a great day masters!! And enjoy WV Day Dave and other WV'ian's?
Parent - - By rungear [us] Date 2018-06-20 10:38 AM
Many, many, many steps today, wife and I are off to S.F. using BART to Embarcadero (1st stop) and then start the walking around S.F. from 10am(along the Embarcadero to Powell St. and then up and over the hills to Market St. and back up a tad to Geary at 8pm (the start time of the stage show on Geary St.).

Lunch and dinner stops along the way! :happy:

C Ya Later.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-20 11:24 AM
That is quite the hike you have mapped out there.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-20 11:23 AM
Elliptical Trainer last night.

Rebecca went for allergy testing today. Apparently, she is allergic to almost everything they tested for - dog, cat, 3 or 4 types of indoor mold, feathers, etc :shocker!:

At least now I have a medical reason for my continued refusal to get a dog : pbbt:

Mark.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-20 8:05 PM Edited 2018-06-20 8:09 PM
Tiki Trail #3 was a fun night. I am always amazed that the woman that checks people in always remembers me. I'm not sure if I know her from somewhere. It's such a small town area that you end up seeing people from other places around town. This one woman that comes in 3rd every week is amazing. She finishes in 20 minutes!!! She has these little babies--she does not look like she has had any!! She is super sweet. They don't do age group prizes but she won two tickets to the zoo. I thought that was perfect.

Tonight there was a company running it. Many were not runners either :wtf: They all lined up at the front of the start, so everyone was weaving around them at the beginning. At mile two a group spanned the entire trail, I had to ask them if I could pass. :wtf::wtf: When I finished I couldn't figure out how they finished so fast--not too far behind me. Chris said he thinks they cut the second loop, because it's not possible. huh... I would never think of that so it's hard for me to imagine it. :mischief:

I finished in 34:16. Two seconds slower than last week. Chris said the work group slowed me down, but I think it was more the humidity. And I'm not really in a race mode. I just run for the enjoyment of it. When I went though the water stop the woman said she wanted her hair to look like mine (my hair is totally white has been for 20+ years--people love it. I get that comment a lot) During the race this one girl was walking when I walked and running when I walked, at the finish she said I was a great pacer. :blush::blush: Was a really fun time tonight even with the group of people who were clueless.

After the race our musician friend came over and was asking if we got free food why I order, so I told him it's hamburgers and hot dogs and alcohol. He says "I thought runners were health conscious" I just laughed. He shrugged.

Goodnight masters!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-21 5:53 AM
The guy at Gino's Pizza remembered me when I stopped in last night. I'm not sure what that says about me.
Parent - - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-21 7:24 AM
When we moved from South Carolina to Connecticut years ago, the local Mexican restaurant folks gave us t-shirts, hats, and pretty much a going away party! What does that say about us??? LOL!
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-21 10:47 AM
Did they go out of business with the revenue drop?
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2018-06-21 6:19 PM
:grin:
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-21 10:46 AM
The Domino's Pizza Manager knows me by name.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Happy WV Day - Wednesday 6/20