Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Monday, 18 Jun 2018
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-18 7:11 AM
According to the internet today is "National Splurge Day" and "National Go Fishing Day."  So take your pick and have fun!

It's Monday, a new day and new beginnings.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-18 8:51 AM
Supposed to be a nice Texas day in DE today - Hot and Humid :) So, not sure what I will do. Probably settle for some time on the Elliptical Trainer.

Anybody have any experience with compression socks?

Mark.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-18 8:55 AM
Yeah, when my engine blew they tested it and said "Tom, your compression sucks".
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-18 8:56 AM
Yea , that will happen if your rod breaks.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-18 9:50 AM
If you are getting compression socks for your calves, I would recommend getting compression sleeves instead. I nearly threw my back out trying to put on compression socks so I switched to to the sleeves and life is better.  They helped me when I was fighting an undetermined calf issue.
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-18 10:59 AM
Actually, its my ankles. I've lost them :laugh:
Parent - - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-06-18 7:16 PM
I have used them for swollen ankles and they worked very well!
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-19 9:49 AM
Do you use them when you exercise or only as "recovery"?
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-06-19 10:42 PM
Just recovery, actually I wear them overnight when I have issues.
I only do about 5 miles at a time but if I were to up my distance, I'd likely wear them when training too.

However, I live in Alaska, I LOVE LOVE LOVE -40 and 8 ft of snow. It's currently mid 70's and humid (to me) and I'm pretty sure I'm going to die.
:laugh:
Oh wait, all that whining was simply to say it is too hot to run/walk with those compression socks now. Honestly, I do more super fast walking than running. I cover just over 4 miles in an hour and that seems to be the best I can do without taking it up to a jog.

I'd sure give them a try, I don't think it can hurt anything and you might see some good results?
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-18 8:53 AM
I will splurge some time and spend it at my favorite online site Masters.    Hot time in Delaware and it's bad air day.   Of course I was real slow to start Monday so my run was real slow in the sun.  I did spend much of it in the shade of the park.  I'll give it a 5 out of 10.  Just average. 

Scott just showed up.  I fixed him breakfast but he's busy on phone with insurance.  $4000 to fix a broken tooth and insurance is not cooperating.   I miss the days of him at home and going to work at 11.  Some mornings we would go fishing before work.  

Tom in DE
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-06-18 9:11 AM
warm and very humid today. 9.73 very sweaty miles this morning. should have brought water with me :roll:
If i fished, I would go splurge on a new rod n' reel
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-18 9:15 AM

>new rod n' reel<

Wore out the old one?
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-06-18 9:18 AM
13 kids will do that to the equipment
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-18 9:37 AM
I splurged on an extra coffee or 2 so I am in compliance.:happy:  My favorite part of volunteering at Happy Tails is coffee afterward with the other volunteers.   Oh heck, coffee is my favorite part of anything.

106 heat index yesterday, only 103 today.  It's kind of like winter when any temp below zero all feels the same. 

There is a big maybe that I'll get my bike out around sunset.  Most likely workout though is youtube yoga in the living room.  I am trying to work up to an hour long practice.  Right now I keep hitting the pause button at 40 minutes; get a drink, walk around and shake out my arms and legs.  For some reason an hour seems unreachable.

If anyone takes advantage of fishing day and catches some salmon or walleye I'll take it off your hands.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2018-06-18 9:50 AM
How much is your volunteering worth?    My granddaughter Anna starts her first job today.  Cleaning kennels and walking dogs.  $10.50/ hour to start.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-18 11:18 AM
Wow!  That's an amazing wage.   The dogs that befriend Anna are some lucky dogs.  She's probably got a whole lot of Mindy-love to share with the pups.  I hope she enjoys it there.  Summertime at the shelter is great because we get so many good helpers on summer break.
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2018-06-18 8:49 PM
What wonderful first job!
She will learn so much more than the obvious, and the dogs will love her!
:hug:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-19 6:55 AM
Do you ever go to classes? I can't do yoga at home for very long, but in class the time seems to fly by. I can't do yoga videos the music and voices grate on my nerves, no matter how much I try to accept it. :roll:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-19 8:55 AM
I've been to one class and I didn't enjoy it.  It was an outdoor class on the riverfront and while that sounds lovely, it was in fact too many people crowded in too close together on concrete at high noon with no shade.  All I could think about was skin cancer.

I haven't found another class that sounds like a good fit for me.  And the going rate is $10 for an hour class so I'm being choosey.   Can I ask what you pay?
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-19 9:41 AM
That does not sound like fun to me. Last summer I did a yoga by the beach (which was on grass really ) at sunset, again sounds wonderful....but it was not fun. Yoga mats and grass do not work. I switched to no mat and my feet slipped on the grass. It was not relaxing at all!!! And the mosquitos. : pbbt:

I love the studio I go to. Most of the teachers teach classical type yoga which I like. The owner is amazing. Very compassionate and giving to people and the community. She has a scale. She gives discounts to students and military. You can buy packages at different rates that last for a year. I volunteer so I get my one weekly class free. I have a summer package so classes are $12 with that.  Generally  classes are $17, a few of them are 90 min classes. She also has $10 donation classes that the new teachers teach. I did these a few times, one was really advanced. :shocker!: I know you are too far away but here is the website https://yogaacton.com it is a beautiful studio.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-19 10:19 AM
That looks like a great place, I'm jealous.   We have no studios locally.  There are 4 instructors (is that even the right word?) that will teach at the park, the riverfront, the class room at the hospital, and sometimes the gym at the Y.  It's quite disorganized and pretty much disappears in the winter time.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-18 9:54 AM
4.01 at the park this morning. Between the time my watch notifies me that I hit 4 miles and I stop the timer I almost always cover an extra .01.  I have a lot of .01 miles in my log since getting the Garmin 235. (It didn't happen on my old watch).

Pretty warm and humid out but it is only going to get worse as the day progresses.

Never been fishing so I guess I'll splurge on something.
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-18 10:21 AM
I have that on my Garmin as well. I think it rounds up for the display, but uses the "real" distance for lap paces, splits, etc.
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-18 10:38 AM
We received some much needed rain -- not much only 2/10's of an inch but we will take any amount.  It is still cloudy and rain is still in the forecast. 

My friend and I delayed our walk till 9:15 and it was a bit steamy. 

I bought a milk frother in April and I splurge on my coffee every day.  Love the foam; feel like I am having coffee at a fancy place!  And since I use 1% milk I may actually  be saving on calories.

That's it from my side of the world!
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-19 4:58 AM
ran quick 3 miles before work. I like to run the rail trail after work, but with the humid heat I decided to run in the morning. Wasn't hot, but the air was so thick. I've never been good at running in the humidity. Good thing I ran in the morning. The sky let loose right after work-- the whole show...thunder, lightening, wind pouring rain.

No splurging or fishing...
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Monday, 18 Jun 2018