Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Monday Comes Early (Dailies, etc.)
- - By swandive Date 2018-06-17 4:42 PM
Otherwise known as it's probably too late for a real Sunday thread. :laugh:
Parent - - By swandive Date 2018-06-17 5:02 PM
So, today has been fun.  I ran 13.2 and was slow and felt awful for the last half of the run because it was oppressively warm and humid with no air stirring at all.  When I got home, the scale showed a number a couple of pounds lower than my lowest weight in a long time [but I don't weigh myself regularly], so I was probably dehydrated.  I was drinking a good bit, but sweating more.  Also, I worked outside for most of the past two days, so it may be something of cumulative dehydration.  Anyway, I was feeling more or less ok and took a shower and all of that, but I went downstairs and got breakfast then, before I got a chance to eat, got really lightheaded and sort of passed out, and was suddenly soaked in sweat.  Obviously something in my autonomic system freaking out, but not sure what.  A was in the kitchen at the time so she helped me lie down and got me some Gatorade and an ice pack.  After determining that I had no blood pressure in my wrist :laugh:, we finally got a fairly low blood pressure reading with an arm cuff and a low blood sugar reading [though I never check my blood sugar normally].  I'm mostly ok now, though have felt fairly crappy and really tired most of the day.  So, I dunno.  Today's run was miserable, but not particularly more miserable than the past couple of weeks and my long run routine has almost no variation in terms of food and fluids.  Likely it's a combination of factors, but it's rather frustrating and annoying to suddenly be in such bad shape for no apparent reason.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-06-17 7:14 PM
Running a half distance in lousy weather is a considerable thing to do! Commendation is certainly in order, but I want you to be very watchful for yourself right now. Also, when you are dehydrated (sounds like you have been) drinking is important ahead of time as well. Others on this thread will be able to give you more informed advice about that specifically.
Please take good care of yourself and be cautious in this crazy hot weather. How nice to be cared for by A.:happy: Have you had a routine doc checkup lately? It might be a good idea to line one up just to be on the safe side.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-18 2:25 PM
Scary!

You're not in bad shape, the weather's in bad shape. Frustrating, though, to be in that situation.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-18 2:32 PM
That sucks. And sometimes it happens for no reason. I wouldn't sweat it unless it happens again.

Do you carry water on your run? Did you eat ok the day before?
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-18 6:08 PM
I carry two bottles of electrolyte drink with me and stopped midway to refill one bottle with water.  During the course of the run I ate one gel and a handful of peanuts and raisins (this is what I've done for every run for years) and suck on peppermints while I run.  Basically the same routine as always.  I ate fairly normally the day before, or at least close enough to where I didn't notice eating significantly less or anything like that.

I had this happen once before, several years ago, when I got out of bed one morning [not a day I was running].  Same basic symptoms, but never able to figure out why it happened.  That was probably 4-5 years ago, though, so definitely not a normal occurrence.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2018-06-18 4:44 AM
Friday I dashed out to the trail for a short run…25 minutes. The Great Blue Heron was standing by the water. Such a dignified bird!
Saturday was SDO so DC and I took a day trip to another part of the state and walked a lot.
Sunday Buddy and I did 80 minutes out the trail. Ospreys were visible and a bunny. Canada Geese were guarding their cute little goslings.
Errands had piled up, so I got them done. One errand was to the grocery where among other things I picked up some brand X window cleaner. When I got home, the power was off so I was busy getting the frozen treats into the fridge freezer. I have a chest freezer and wanted it to stay closed while the power was off. I left the cleaner in its bag right by the door and continued to get other food kept cool to adjust to the power situation. Later when I had a chance to get to the cleaner I discovered that the cleaner had all leaked out into the bag and onto a rug, thereby needing another trip to the store. It was in the 90’s here. Ick!
Today is another 90° day so I will exercise early. Volunteer work sometime this week. Hopefully today. It is cooler down there.              
Happy runs, All! :hug:
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-18 6:12 PM
Herons are gorgeous birds. :hug:  It's cool that you see so many water birds while you're out!
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-06-18 2:42 PM
Saturday I chose to sleep instead of swim.  I've been having a hard mental health few weeks, so figured I needed the rest. It was good.

Sunday I had synchro.  SO fun.  Though a bit of drama. Three of us, S, P and I, have been swimming together since September.  S and I are VERY well matched for abilities and even joke that we make our mistakes in the same way at the same time, so we are still synchronized.  P has developmental disabilities (I think I've posted about her before) and is a great swimmer, but has no attention span and doesn't remember choreography or the vocabulary of the sport all that well. We are starting to hit a point where S and I are progressing faster than she can keep up with, cognitively, although her swimming continues to improve and mostly keep up. N also comes sometimes, but  not all the time, is a good swimmer, and usually gets that since she doesn't always come, she's there for whatever workout S and I need and the coach provides.  S is a synchro mom, and although she never swam before September, her daughter grew up in the sport, so she gets the etiquette of it, and has helped me understand that as well.

Enter L.  She started swimming with us 3 weeks ago, and has basically come in and taken over. Inviting more people to our workout, telling the coach how to run practice. She also will often pull the attention to herself (ie: coach, watch me do it) instead of letting the coach focus where she wants to (and she makes sure she watches everyone when we are trying a new skill). S felt that we need to learn base building skills as well as the compulsory figures, and so talked to the coach (privately) to see if that was a good re-direction.  When the coach announced that plan of action, L complained and said she thought we should still run the routine.  It is strange, because I usually don't buy into hierarchy, but this sport has a lot built in, and I'm not going to change it with one or two sessions.  And to me, part of having a coach, is trusting that they know how the sport works and will get you where you need to be as an athlete through a progression you may not fully understand.

Anyway. I'm glad S did some re-direction, and hope the coaches keep working with S and I on a duo, which L or P can join, if they can keep up sufficiently.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-06-18 2:59 PM
A good solid sleep can do wonders. Someone once said that if you sleep well before a stressful time you can manage almost anything (like dicey family dinners at holidays, etc.) much better.
Thanks for posting the swimming stuff. It's especially interesting about the coaching and etiquette things for me who never swam. It's hard when a class session is going well, but a student tries to take over. Then you hope things will go back to normal. :roll:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-06-18 4:57 PM
"Watch me do this, Coach!" Didn't most of us grow out of demanding attention as we did something in the pool when we were, oh, I don't know, 10 years old or thereabouts?

Glad S approached the coach about learning other needed skills. And how annoying that someone comes in and immediately tries to take over. That's why you have a coach, right?
Parent - By swandive Date 2018-06-18 6:11 PM
Sleeping in sounds like a good decision!

Sorry about the synchro drama.  I know it's a sport you really enjoy, so I hope you can get the teamwork aspect sorted so that it remains a synchro club, not a drama club. : pbbt:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Monday Comes Early (Dailies, etc.)