Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Flip Flop Day; the 3rd Friday in June is FF Day
- - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 5:07 AM
Don't you just love that there is a day for everything?

So, qotd - do you love them, hate them, and for the bonus - how many pair do you own?
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 5:11 AM
I'm not a big fan but I have a pair my SIL left behind on one of her trips.  How can a pair of flip flops not fit in your suitcase?   Anyway, they are my go to shoes to run out to grab the mail, or take out the garbage.  Local running store is selling OOFOS recovery shoes.  To me, flip flops with a sole made out of old wrestling mats.  People love them though.

I got clobbered by a bad combination of leftovers for lunch yesterday.  moaned and groaned and skipped my workout.:sad:   Today I will persevere!
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-15 5:20 AM
Good morning Dawn and others to follow!

You were up early!  As a Texan, flip flops are worn year round and are considered a staple.  They are worn practically everywhere -- church, weddings, parties, restaurants, etc.

I have several pair -- one to wear inside the house, another to wear when I am out in the front yard and a third to wear in the backyard.  I have them everywhere.  I also use them to shower in hotels.  Plus I have the "nice" ones that I wear with my shorts or sundresses. 

The rains did not come yesterday, but it is still in the forecast till Monday of next week.

Enjoy your day!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:27 AM
I wonder if FF are somewhat regional.  I'm guessing in Texas you don't have much carpeting and have more tile and hardwood floors.  I'd wear FF in the house if I had all tile; that surface makes my legs ache.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-15 8:34 AM
regional and generational? I see kids here where them in the winter...just don't get it...
Parent - - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-15 5:30 AM
4.14 miles last evening. Used the hilly route.

Not a fan of flip-flops. I prefer sandals. Flip-flops just don't stay on my feet.

I need to figure out a way to get in a nap on Wednesdays. The Thur-Fri death march to the weekend is a bit much.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:26 AM
can you nap in your car on your lunch hour?
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:15 AM
Got my longish run in while it was nice out this morning.  8.34 miles. 59°.

I am going to try and work, but I am a bit burned out and may take most the day off.

I'm not a big fan of seeing people's feet, especially when I'm out at a restaurant, so I am not a fan of flip flops or sandals. Nothing so "helps" my appetite like seeing someone's hairy feet flip flopping by my table at a restaurant.  But I realize I am in a tiny minority of people who don't want to see your feet, so I have learned to live with my disability and ignore my disgust.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:26 AM
8+,   woo hoo!!  That's a long run for me, I'd have to save it for a weekend.

Eww, the hairy feet in flip flops, I didn't need that visual.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2018-06-15 6:18 AM
Dropping in because of the QOTD : pbbt: I hate flip flops. That said I do own them. I have one pair that I use when I go to the gym so that I don't have to walk on the locker room floor, shower stall floors or pool deck. Because eww...I also at the beginning of tri season buy 3-4 pairs of the super cheap ones to use at the start of a tri once I leave transition area to dispose of at the start so I don't have to walk barefoot over different surfaces that are not always kind to feet.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:24 AM
Hey Jen!   Take a trip back to Illinois tomorrow.  The Quad Cities Triathlon starts at 7:30 with a temp of 80.   Heat index of 100 predicted for the finish:shocker!::shocker!:   They are planning to double the medical tents......
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-06-16 6:34 AM
Ugh! That's miserable! I want to come back and do the Naperville Tri but it would be a royal PITA to get the bike there.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-06-15 7:02 AM
yes,  the pool. that's when i started wearing slides, when i started indoor swimming.

oh and HI :hug:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2018-06-16 6:35 AM
Hi back!
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2018-06-15 7:00 AM
I don't have a pair of flip-flops. I have a pair of 'slides' that i wear all the time.
Sam got out her summer clothes and shoes last month, she had 9 pair of black flip-flops...all probably from WalMart and costing a $1

Running 4 at lunch.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 8:40 AM
Spending all your hard-earned money:shocker!:  Sam just doesn't know the meaning of the word frugal.:wink:
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-15 1:45 PM
I need a pair of slides.
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-15 2:49 PM
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-15 4:30 PM
Dave, I am a very frugal person.  I would never spend that much money on shoes!  Remember those blogs I wrote about earlier?  Well, I stopped reading them.  That stuff was way more than I would ever spend for clothing, shoes, purses, etc.

You posted this just to make me laugh, right?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:34 PM
Yes, it was just a joke. I want sure what "sliders" were, so I did a search and found those.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2018-06-15 8:51 AM
I think it is silly, albeit a bit fun at times there is a day for everything.

I count days--748 days since I was diagnosed, 595 days since my last chemo (and wrenching my guts out and not sleeping for days), 717 days cancer free (so they say) oh and 85 days til we go to Yosemite!!!

QOTD not a fan. I have a pair my son gave me, not sure why? And I have a 'yoga' pair where all your toes go in a slot. I like those better. Typical FF I can't keep on my feet. I usually go barefoot shoes or Teva sandals. FF hurt my feet.

I broke 11 min miles this morning!!! Yay!! 3 miles 32 min. So yay on my way to normal again. The next person that says "new normal" to me I will punch!! I knew it bothered me, but the other day someone said it to me and Chris said my eye went all squinty eye twitch like. :laugh::laugh::laugh: So I guess I. can't hide it anymore. :roll:

Trail run on Wednesday night was fun. More people so I wasn't running through dark trails alone. :laugh: It was humid and I had a hard time breathing so I walked a hill that was in my "running" set. I was trying to beat the week before. When I got near the finish I thought the clock said 36 minutes so I quit trying to beat the week before. When I got to the clock it was 33 minutes. Not sure why my brain thought 36 :shocker!: So I did beat last week by nearly a minute if I hadn't slowed I would have 34:14. Was a fun night. It's a weekly run so they don't do place or awards or anything which I kind of like. The guy from Salomon took to talking to me. After the race he told me he use to live near Pinelands, so I was like ohhhhh. I was wearing my Pineland Trail top.

Have a great flipflop day everyone..
Parent - By markhh [us] Date 2018-06-15 12:28 PM
I like those big day counts and small pace numbers.
Parent - - By oncearunner [us] Date 2018-06-15 4:33 PM
Gosh, I feel like an outcast!  I am the only person that likes flip flops.  While out today, I did observe how many people were wearing flip flops.

I didn't work out today.  Went to Mass, Adoration and then my husband and I went to lunch; High Street Café in Comfort, Texas.  Very good food and we walked the downtown area and plan to go back.  It was rather pleasant as the wind was blowing.  I think the rain passed us but at least the temperatures are down.  Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday the rains will come.

Now I am having a vodka tonic and just enjoying the cool weather.

See you tomorrow!
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2018-06-15 6:37 PM
I'm the weird one. I'm always wearing socks and shoes when everyone around me have on sandals.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2018-06-15 7:09 PM
I liked a couple pair of the sliders Dave shared with you.    Rain skipped us too; had to water most everything tonight.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Flip Flop Day; the 3rd Friday in June is FF Day