Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Summer Movie Thread
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-06-12 8:28 AM
Don't see a recent movie-related thread.  :shocker!:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-06-12 8:29 AM
While not a new movie, I saw Brigsby Bear on cable and enjoyed it very much -- it is an odd movie, but rather delightful.  8/10.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-06-12 8:36 AM
I recently saw Deadpool 2 which I give meh/10 and The Avengers Infinity War which I would have to give bleh/10
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-06-12 10:09 AM
TAIW was the coolest* :shocker!:

---
*apart from its bummer ending
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-12 8:37 AM
We saw Upgrade last weekend. It was mildly predictable, but super entertaining. plus it has Logan Marshall-Green, so, I mean... :swoon:

Sunday we saw Ocean's 8 great cast, fun story. I'll watch anything with Cate Blanchett in it.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-12 8:56 AM
I, Tonya is on Hulu so watched that the other night. Really well done movie style on a really messed up family. Pretty good

Watched Top Gun last night with my kids.  I forget that movies from the '80s rated PG are really like PG-13 movies now so I skipped the sex scene but otherwise they really liked it.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-12 9:09 AM
The mom was so crazy! the knife throwing scene was all :shocker!:
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-06-12 9:27 AM
Let me just casually pull this knife out of my arm
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-06-12 10:10 AM
I saw I, Tonya on an airplane recently and thought it was well done, though it sort of left me cold by the end -- what am I supposed to take from the time I spend with these unpleasant folks?  :wtf:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-06-12 11:33 AM
I was horrified and wished I hadn't seen it.  Perhaps the point was to show Tonya as a tragic figure, which, from the facts of her life, I could really see her as being.  However, everyone was so unlikeable, it was hard to pull off.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-12 2:16 PM
I kinda want to see it as I LOVE Allison Janney, but really don't want to give any kind of recognition to Tonya and her mother.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-12 2:33 PM
It was really a well done movie.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-06-12 9:42 AM
OCEANS 8....certainly not an award winner, but a fun movie with about the appropriate number of nods to Oceans 11. (One of my favorite movies which I have watched at least a dozen times.)  Instead of Brad Pitt constantly eating during the movie, there was a lot of gum chewing.  There was the brief pause at the poker table, etc..  I want to watch again to see what else they did to pay homage. 

I saw with both my kids.  My daughter wanted to see it because GIRL POWER and the boy, who is off to study film in the fall and thinks he is going to be a film maker, wants to see EVERYTHING.  As he is only 18 and not tainted by how the world works ($$$), he was surprised I noted how remarkable it was the cast was three women in their 50's (Cate is 49, so close enough), three are women with REAL bodies that have curves, one is openly and loudly gay, and one was an Asian rapper.  He just thought it was great casting.  If the next wave of film makers focus on great casting instead of just 20-something, blonde waifs, it will be exciting!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-12 9:47 AM Edited 2018-06-12 9:50 AM
I saw the Seinfeld episode where they all take bets on who can last longest without masturbating :laugh:
Eleine caves after meeting John F Kennedy Jr...That dude died in 1999 :shocker!::sad:
Loved the Pagliacci episode as well. So far season 4 is killin' it. :cool:

I find it actually crazy the themes they use in the show.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-06-12 10:10 AM
I watched The Devil Wears Prada the other day. Cute movie, but way too many jokes about Anne Hathaway's character being fat when she was a size 6. :roll: And the scene where the editor dude kissed her, she pulled back and said no, so he kissed her again, same thing, again and again until she quite literally ran out of reasons to say no and then they slept together was maddening. :mutmad: Terrible message to send to the young girls and boys watching the movie!
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-06-12 12:16 PM
I saw Solo: A Star Wars Story. I enjoyed it but it definitely wasn't as good as some of the other recent Star Wars movie. Little surprised on exactly how poorly it's doing. These movies aren't really needed, but they are well done.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-12 2:22 PM
Maybe it wasn't a good time-slot to release it.
End of the school year, lots of students with exams (at least in Europe), weather is good so people are less likely to huddle up at the movies, lots of other things going on this time a year (NHL and NBA finals), ...

For some reason I'm not really excited about this movie. I'll watch it eventually, but don't have the urge to see it in theatre like I have with the other Star Wars.
Also it's a prequel, so you're not really losing out not seeing it.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-06-12 2:58 PM
I heard The Beard say he didn't like the trailer so I figured I better stay clear.  :shocker!:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-13 6:09 AM
Wise choice
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-06-13 9:25 AM
When the previews came out, my son and I agreed that a) the movie would not be great; and b) we were going to see it.  Then the lad asked a girl if she wanted to see it with him. :shocker!: She said yes, then decided she was too busy. :meh: Now he doesn't want to go at all, especially with his mom.  :sad:
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) [us] Date 2018-06-27 7:55 AM
Watched Unseen, the Steven Soderbergh movie that was filmed on an iPhone. It was an interesting psychological thriller type movie.
- By sideshowbob Date 2018-06-12 1:59 PM
I saw RBG with DW and DD#1 in New York . Very well done and I enjoyed the many comments from the audience. In this case , it was considered good form to express oneself. ::grin::
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-12 2:04 PM
I read A Man Called Ove recently so we watched the movie. I really enjoyed it. :sad::hug:
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-06-13 9:22 AM
I love that book!  I thought the movie was good also (but not as good as the book). :happy:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-13 10:12 AM
Agreed! So many more sweet details in the book but yeah, it was enjoyable!

Have you read my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry?
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-06-13 11:19 AM
Yes, that one is very different.  I also read Britte Marie was here and Beartown is on my stack.  Ove is still my favorite.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-13 11:23 AM
Okay, good ton know. I have my grandmother in my stack. Did you like Britte Marie?
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-06-13 12:07 PM
I liked it, but the ending was more of a beginning.  Read grandmother first.
Parent - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-06-14 2:22 PM
I read Beartown and really enjoyed it. I'll have to go back and read the other book.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-13 12:47 PM
We rented Early Man last night. Typical Aardman goodness.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-13 2:53 PM
Anyone seen A Quiet Place?
Parent - - By callie [ca] Date 2018-06-13 5:18 PM
I want to! Does that count?:wtf:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-13 8:49 PM
Yes, same for me! :grin:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-13 6:05 PM
I’m
I’m not a movie guy but that one looks interesting.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-06-13 8:50 PM
We're not either but both kind of want to see this in the theater.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-06-14 5:03 AM
I’m
I’m

:blush:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-14 9:32 AM
Yes, it was really well done - there are some obvious "but, wait, why don't they" and "oh, come on!" moments, but it was really good! :cool:
- - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2018-06-13 3:19 PM
We saw Book Club a week ago and loved it.  Hilarious.

Saw Oceans 8 over the weekend and thought it was a lot of fun.  I'm curious what I missed that they paid homage to as well as what they foreshadowed.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-14 9:33 AM
we laughed so hard through Book Club  :laugh:
- By callie [ca] Date 2018-06-13 5:19 PM
We saw Deadpool 2 a few weeks ago and I don’t care what Brookie says, I loved it. DH and I both have Ryan Reynolds crushes though.
- - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-06-14 2:17 PM
Watched a few movies this weekend:  The Hitman’s Bodyguard and Jack Reacher Never Go Back.  Both were pretty good as we watched them on Netflix.  I might have paid for the Hitman’s Bodyguard, but not the Jack Reacher movie.

Also, before this past weekend, we watched Thor Ragnarok.  I liked it.
Parent - By mutiger [us] Date 2018-08-28 11:33 AM
by my standards, Ive been on a movie watching streak these days

On our flights back to Bangalore and back about a month ago (15 hrs each :meh:), mrs mut and I watched "A Few Good Men" both ways :laugh: *****
Then more recently I watched
The boondock saints - ****
The Death and Life of Bobby Z (Paul Walker) - *****
Out of time (Denzel) ***1/2
The Manchurian Candidate (Denzel) *****
Tears of the sun (Bruce Willis) ****
Game of Death (Wesley Snipes) ***1/2
The Departed (who is not in it?) *****
The jungle ****
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-06-27 8:11 AM
we've recently seen Hearts Beat Loud w/ Nick Offerman. Jeff and I both really enjoyed it (I like small indie films) but it was probably a bit too slow for the boys. The music in it was great :hug: and over the weekend we saw Tag which was hilarious and I think even funnier because it's based on a real group of friends :laugh: and Jurassic World I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan and will watch it anytime I run across it on tv, etc. It always gives me goosebumps and is just so well done. JW was decent and entertaining, but I don't think I ever really need to see it again.
- By callie [ca] Date 2018-06-27 11:06 PM
My oldest and I saw Incredibles 2 tonight. Two thumbs up. :cool:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-22 8:46 AM
This past week we have seen:
The Meg it has giant sharks and Jason Statham 6 stars (2 for him with no shirt) :laugh:
Crazy, Rich Asians it was a fun, well done rom-com. Awkafina is hilarious and the guys are all :mischief::mischief: 8/10
Operation Finale somber, tragic and great story telling. Oscar Isaac and Ben Kingsley both do an amazing job. very worth seeing 9/10

mrbarney and I both signed up for AMC A-List this past month, up to 3 movies a week for $20 a month. I'm all over taking advantage of this!
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-08-28 1:48 PM
I thought the Meg was just so much fun. It was everything I wanted when we went. I'd like to go see it again.
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-08-27 9:29 AM
saw Blackkklansman on Saturday - don't remember the last time I saw a Spike Lee Joint in the theatre. It was good, lots of funny lines, serious subject matter and some crazy 70's hair. I wasn't however expecting to cry at the end credits. I wasn't the only one wiping away tears - the footage of the car that plowed into the crowd in NC was really, really poignant. :sad: 9/10
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-08-27 11:50 AM
That is on my list and I hope to see this weekend.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Summer Movie Thread